PDA

View Full Version : Two dead in 'attempted terror attack' on Rainbow Bridge in New York

Amp
11-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Fox News cites law enforcement sources who say the intention was a larger attack to kill more an the FBI Terrorism Task Force is investigating but officials are yet to confirm the motive.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ny-vehicle-explosion-reported-rainbow-bridge-niagara-falls-injured

HCM
11-22-2023, 02:49 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ny-vehicle-explosion-reported-rainbow-bridge-niagara-falls-injured

NY vehicle explosion at Rainbow Bridge border crossing is attempted terror attack: sources
Rainbow Bridge, which connects Niagara Falls, New York to Niagara Falls, Canada, is currently shut down as the investigation unfolds

The FBI is investigating a vehicle explosion Wednesday at the Rainbow Bridge border crossing between the U.S. and Canada in what sources tell Fox News was an attempted terrorist attack.

Explosives were in the vehicle at the time and two people who were in the car are dead, the sources told Fox News. A border officer was injured.

The vehicle was driving from the U.S. to Canada and were attempting to drive toward the border officer building, the sources said.

All bridges are closed in the area, and all government buildings are evacuated, according to the sources.

“The FBI Buffalo Field Office is investigating a vehicle explosion at the Rainbow Bridge, a border crossing between the US and Canada in Niagara Falls," the FBI said in a statement.

It continued, "The FBI is coordinating with our local, state, and federal law enforcement partners in this investigation. As this situation is very fluid, that's all we can say at this time."

Rainbow Bridge connects Niagara Falls, New York with Niagara Falls, Canada.

Peace Bridge, Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, and Whirlpool Bridge are also closed as the incident is investigated.

No Further info at this time.

farscott
11-22-2023, 02:50 PM
The bridges between Ontario and NY are closed after an explosion at the Rainbow Bridge. As always, initial reports are contradictory with some staying it was an explosion and others saying there was a fire and explosion after a high-speed vehicle crash. No even agreement on which country the vehicle was trying to enter.

HCM
11-22-2023, 02:53 PM
The bridges between Ontario and NY are closed after an explosion at the Rainbow Bridge. As always, initial reports are contradictory with some staying it was an explosion and others saying there was a fire and explosion after a high-speed vehicle crash. No even agreement on which country the vehicle was trying to enter.

Publicly confirmed by FBI Buffalo as an explosion / attempted terror attack - vehicle was traveling from the U.S. outbound to Canada.

Caballoflaco
11-22-2023, 02:56 PM

farscott
11-22-2023, 02:56 PM
Lots of confusion as some sources are saying vehicle was trying to enter USA and was chosen for secondary screening.

Multiple law enforcement sources said that shortly before noon on Wednesday, a car coming from the Canadian side of the border with the US exploded after it was heading toward a secondary search area. The car was on the Rainbow Bridge that connects Canada to New York and went through an initial checkpoint where identification documents are examined before the explosion occurred.

Authorities do not know what caused the explosion. The FBI, New York State Police and US Customs and Border Protection are on the scene investigating.
Federal authorities are trying to retrieve video from a number of different angles because the statements from witnesses vary, the sources said.
Sources said there were no serious injuries except to those who were in the car, reportedly two men.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/rainbow-bridge-explosion-11-22-23/index.html

The City of Niagara Falls said the incident involved a vehicle attempting to enter the U.S. The city and the FBI’s Buffalo Field Office termed the incident an explosion.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/niagara-county/niagara-falls/rainbow-bridge-between-u-s-canada-closed-after-incident/

Caballoflaco
11-22-2023, 02:57 PM

BillSWPA
11-22-2023, 02:58 PM
That crossing can get quite busy. Hopefully the only people who died are those who blew up the car.

wvincent
11-22-2023, 03:03 PM
So, two rabid, flea ridden dogs crossed over "The Rainbow Bridge"?
Got it.

The news is all over the place on this one, some reporting it crossed US to Canada, u-turned and headed back to the building US Border agents were in, others reporting it was selected for secondary screening.

But somewhere, somehow, at least two dudes packed a vehicle full of explosives and and headed out on a suicide run.
In CONUS.

I wish I was shocked.

CCT125US
11-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Tagged in for the comments.

HCM
11-22-2023, 03:21 PM
Lots of confusion as some sources are saying vehicle was trying to enter USA and was chosen for secondary screening.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/rainbow-bridge-explosion-11-22-23/index.html

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/niagara-county/niagara-falls/rainbow-bridge-between-u-s-canada-closed-after-incident/

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1727409947150029271

Car was seen travelling 100mph down “Main St” picture attached, swerved around a car and lost control into the USA side.

You can see from this video the car does not come from the Canada Side.

In addition to the two deceased occupants of the vehicle, One CBP officer was injured.

Totem Polar
11-22-2023, 03:30 PM
Might be good to consolidate the threads on this event into a single. JMO. Clusterfrack, et al.

HCM
11-22-2023, 03:37 PM
Fox News is reporting a second vehicle is being sought in connection with the incident.

Of course this may just be like the phantom “second gunmen” reported in conjunction with most mass shootings.

Caballoflaco
11-22-2023, 03:38 PM
Imbedded link from HCM

Clusterfrack
11-22-2023, 03:52 PM
Might be good to consolidate the threads on this event into a single. JMO. Clusterfrack, et al.

Done. I'm putting this in General Discussion. If someone has a reason for a new thread in the paywalled Politics subforum, go ahead and start one.

idahojess
11-22-2023, 03:59 PM
Reminds me of Ahmed Ressam in 1999.

HCM
11-22-2023, 04:01 PM
Eyewitness report:

https://x.com/Patri0tCx_/status/1727407695190462828?s=20

Key points:

1) vehicle was traveling from the U.S. - outbound into Canada.
2) vehicle was traveling at high speed
3) there was an explosion

how big an explosion is the question ?

HCM
11-22-2023, 04:06 PM
Reminds me of Ahmed Ressam in 1999.

Ressam was just trying to pass through to a target in the interior of the U.S.

He also had a lot more explosives that appears to be the case here.

HCM
11-22-2023, 04:42 PM
So aggregating the opens source he’s what it looks like so far:

Vehicle approaches port of entry from the U.S. side at high rate of speed;

Swerves to avoid another vehicle.

Crash vehicle is Possibly going wrong way - or might have simply wound up in opposite side due to the swerve.

Vehicle hits a concrete obstacle / divider - goes over the fence of the secondary inspection area hits a structure.

It definitely appears to hit the Secondary inspection area from the back / US side.

Well, the explosion does not seem particularly large for a VBIED, modern cars don’t normally explode on impact in crashes. Crash / then burn - yes.

It’s odd - but there doesn’t appear to be enough secondary effect to be consistent with a serious VBIED.

Caballoflaco
11-22-2023, 04:49 PM
Video of car going airborne

HCM
11-22-2023, 05:02 PM
Buffalo airport closed to international flights after explosion at US-Canada border - US FAA

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/buffalo-airport-closed-international-flights-after-explosion-us-canada-border-us-2023-11-22/

BillSWPA
11-22-2023, 05:28 PM
So aggregating the opens source he’s what it looks like so far:

Vehicle approaches port of entry from the U.S. side at high rate of speed;

Swerves to avoid another vehicle.

Crash vehicle is Possibly going wrong way - or might have simply wound up in opposite side due to the swerve.

Vehicle hits a concrete obstacle / divider - goes over the fence of the secondary inspection area hits a structure.

It definitely appears to hit the Secondary inspection area from the back / US side.

Well, the explosion does not seem particularly large for a VBIED, modern cars don’t normally explode on impact in crashes. Crash / then burn - yes.

It’s odd - but there doesn’t appear to be enough secondary effect to be consistent with a serious VBIED.

The relative lack of deaths and injuries at what is usually a very crowded crossing with significant stop and go traffic makes me question whether the crossing was the actual target, or if something else was intended.

Caballoflaco
11-22-2023, 05:49 PM
Another video

TC215
11-22-2023, 05:50 PM
The relative lack of deaths and injuries at what is usually a very crowded crossing with significant stop and go traffic makes me question whether the crossing was the actual target, or if something else was intended.

I think that there probably wasn’t a target at all.

Hambo
11-22-2023, 06:17 PM
I think that there probably wasn’t a target at all.

Based on that Dukes of Hazard video, I think you're right.

ccmdfd
11-22-2023, 06:22 PM
Based on that Dukes of Hazard video, I think you're right.

Beat me to it.

Was immediately reminded of an episode (or two, or three, or five) of that show

Caballoflaco
11-22-2023, 06:37 PM
They say dude was driving a $300,000 Bentley and lived in an upscale NY community

Tackleberry40sw
11-22-2023, 06:38 PM
https://youtu.be/JP_qQAkoZ8I?si=t9lFvUxyooD74CkG

Screwball
11-22-2023, 06:43 PM
We were on alert as soon as it happened… checked every car that came in. We are about a month out from that Lewiston shooting, so we didn’t wait for people to order us to do X, Y or Z. A lot of officers were texting that it was really bad… but just people who weren’t there, thinking they knew what it was.

News went from terrorist attack, to attack, to incident and just as I was leaving work… vehicle explosion. I wasn’t sure if it went down to explosion before leaving.

Doesn’t look more than a bad driver that played real life GTA and didn’t revive.

Crazy Dane
11-22-2023, 06:57 PM
They say dude was driving a $300,000 Bentley and lived in an upscale NY community

After watching all of the videos, I'm not seeing high velocity explosives, more like fuel lighting off from a ruptured tank.

camel
11-22-2023, 07:18 PM
After watching all of the videos, I'm not seeing high velocity explosives, more like fuel lighting off from a ruptured tank.

Yea. Car comes apart first after high speed impact. If there were more explosives on board you would see more damage to structures. I’ve cleaned up as a tow truck operator after a couple of these situations. Gas tank goes kaboom.

Stephanie B
11-22-2023, 07:26 PM
I'll take "Murder and Suicide" for $800, Ken.

Edster
11-22-2023, 07:30 PM
"...a 56-year-old man who lived in a very upscale area that had intended to go to the kiss concert.. "

Please tell me I'm not the only person who immediately thought "Detroit Rock City" at this part.

fatdog
11-22-2023, 07:50 PM
Some bad mushrooms on the way to the KISS concert? Like the ones that make you want to crash the plane?

Hambo
11-22-2023, 08:33 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only person who immediately thought "Detroit Rock City" at this part.

My first thought was...

"some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes..."

camel
11-22-2023, 08:42 PM
My first thought was...

"some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes..."

Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Kanye Wyoming
11-22-2023, 08:46 PM
Some bad mushrooms on the way to the KISS concert? Like the ones that make you want to crash the plane?
As we were discussing at dinner, I said if I were forced to drive to Toronto for a KISS concert, I could very well see myself doing something similar to get out of it.

Joe in PNG
11-22-2023, 10:48 PM
And certain people are breaking out the conspiracy theories.
Have you ever noticed that the tinfoil brigade is never logically consistent?

Totem Polar
11-22-2023, 11:20 PM
https://youtu.be/JP_qQAkoZ8I?si=t9lFvUxyooD74CkG

Dang, the Gen Lee got more air time than Art Bell on late night am radio. I wonder how many Chargers that show F’d up during its run?

HCM
11-22-2023, 11:46 PM
Dang, the Gen Lee got more air time than Art Bell on late night am radio. I wonder how many Chargers that show F’d up during its run?

Half of the entire production run.

0ddl0t
11-23-2023, 05:38 AM
There were around 85,000 chargers made in 1969 (20,000+ of which were RT chargers). Around 300 cars - about 2 per episode - were destroyed during filming, but the stunt crews used any 1968-1971 Dodge Charger or AMC Ambassador they could get cheaply and made them all look like one 1969 Charger RT.

If you look closely for scraped chins or buckled rear 1/4 panels you'll notice they often reused lightly damaged cars on the biggest jumps without fixing all the body work. The 1/4 panel buckling was because they had to stick ballast in the trunk to make the cars stay level in the air:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Of-ZRsAK6G8/maxresdefault.jpg

69 Ambassador:
https://photos.classiccars.com/cc-temp/listing/97/8467/7247780-1969-amc-ambassador-std.jpg

69 Charger RT:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/LOqZW/s1/professionally-built-and-restored-1969-dodge-charger-r-t-hemi.jpg

mmc45414
11-23-2023, 07:13 AM
If you look closely
And this was back when there were not 60in 4k screens in the typical household, simplifying the rebuilding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
11-23-2023, 09:47 AM
One thing was clear: Fox News rots people's brains.

fatdog
11-23-2023, 10:02 AM
As we were discussing at dinner, I said if I were forced to drive to Toronto for a KISS concert, I could very well see myself doing something similar to get out of it.

Now I am reading the guy may have been deranged over the last minute cancelation of same (https://www.blogto.com/music/2023/11/kiss-cancels-toronto-show/).....

As we will learn more about the apparently well heeled and prosperous perp, I am interested to know how this tool made his money.

I think Stephanie gets her $800 for murder/suicide. This was not a stuck gas pedal or cruise control malfunction.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2023, 10:20 AM
Yea. Car comes apart first after high speed impact. If there were more explosives on board you would see more damage to structures. I’ve cleaned up as a tow truck operator after a couple of these situations. Gas tank goes kaboom.

Well, it was quite a day with a few hours of of OMG and everything shutting down. As far as the explosion, when I lived in San Antonio, we lived off a curving S road and folks were constantly taking it too fast. A guy in a two seater sports car did that and jumped the curb, landed on concrete divider along the road and went up like this one. Not a vaporization but a total and complete inferno. My kid happened to see it after the fire went out. Guy was nothing left. There was a giant charred spot across the road and my wife called the city to come clean it up and they sent a cleaning truck after awhile.

Usually, the out of control cars just went hurtling through fancy fences - stone and heavy wood into a nice house's yard. This guy wasn't that lucky. Just pillar of flame.

jh9
11-23-2023, 10:32 AM
a curving S road and folks were constantly taking it too fast. A guy in a two seater sports car did that and jumped the curb, landed on concrete divider along the road and went up like this one. Not a vaporization but a total and complete inferno.

My working theory is that the entire state of Texas is like the Large Hadron Collider but with automobiles instead of hydrogen.

You could build a concrete wall and a quarter mile of road out in the middle of nowhere, not connected to any road or marked on any map, not speak of its existence to a human soul and within hours there would still be skidmarks on the road and the remains of a car that slammed into the wall at 70mph. They would find it. They would simply know.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2023, 10:38 AM
We when used to live there were serious and idiot driven crashes everyday. I got taken out on the freeway when stopped in a line of traffic and a woman hit the car in back of me at full highway speed, driving that car into mine. In a way, that poor person acted as crash buffer for me. However, my car was totaled and my shoulder was totaled. Still have the consequences and a few years of lawsuits. My car was a Forester, I don't know if its construction save me but I lived. Got to show the cops and EMTs my Glock 26 when they worked on me. Weren't concerned. Got to ride in a police car up front.

Idiots were crashing on the freeways and trying to beat the lights on the turn arounds for some pretty spectacular crashes - almost everyday. Now, in our we hate guns state - small town, I've seen about three serious accidents in 4 years. Pros and cons, I suppose.

jh9
11-23-2023, 10:41 AM
In a way, that poor person acted as crash buffer for me.

That thought is at the forefront of my mind every time I merge onto Highway 183 or "The Mopac" and the person in front of me is doing 40mph while someone, somewhere behind me is doing 80mph.

NH Shooter
11-23-2023, 10:43 AM
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/LOqZW/s1/professionally-built-and-restored-1969-dodge-charger-r-t-hemi.jpg

Seeing this photo made my day!

TGS
11-23-2023, 10:45 AM
My working theory is that the entire state of Texas is like the Large Hadron Collider but with automobiles instead of hydrogen.

You could build a concrete wall and a quarter mile of road out in the middle of nowhere, not connected to any road or marked on any map, not speak of its existence to a human soul and within hours there would still be skidmarks on the road and the remains of a car that slammed into the wall at 70mph. They would find it. They would simply know.

Houston and Southern Florida have both struck me as places where people drive in a needlessly reckless manner unlike anywhere else I've been. Sure, there's crazy traffic and bad drivers everywhere...but with those two places, there was sort of this mindless obstinance about the drivers and their need to drive with entirely nonsensical behaviors. Almost like rats drawn to the Piper.

Your hadron collider comparison is brilliant.

perlslacker
11-23-2023, 11:06 AM
One thing was clear: Fox News rots people's brains.

A lot's going on here. To wit:

We were on alert as soon as it happened… checked every car that came in. We are about a month out from that Lewiston shooting, so we didn’t wait for people to order us to do X, Y or Z. A lot of officers were texting that it was really bad… but just people who weren’t there, thinking they knew what it was.

How much do you want to bet that Fox News (or whoever) got "insider tips" from officers who didn't actually know what was going on, and then didn't bother to verify?

It doesn't hurt that scaremongering is a pretty reliable way to make money for news agencies.

Screwball
11-23-2023, 11:15 AM
Best source of info was that “guide” Ricky. We were watching him talk, all said to hire him as CBP’s PR guy. [emoji1787]

awp_101
11-23-2023, 11:44 AM
That thought is at the forefront of my mind every time I merge onto Highway 183 or "The Mopac" and the person in front of me is doing 40mph while someone, somewhere behind me is doing 80mph.
My drive 5-6 days a week for almost 13 years has been 183-30-Loop 12. The inability/unwillingness to follow and the willful ignorance of basic rules of the road and common courtesy is simply staggering.

Houston and Southern Florida have both struck me as places where people drive in a needlessly reckless manner unlike anywhere else I've been. Sure, there's crazy traffic and bad drivers everywhere...but with those two places, there was sort of this mindless obstinance about the drivers and their need to drive with entirely nonsensical behaviors. Almost like rats drawn to the Piper.
DFW looks at Houston and says "Hold my beer".

ccmdfd
11-23-2023, 11:46 AM
There were around 85,000 chargers made in 1969 (20,000+ of which were RT chargers). Around 300 cars - about 2 per episode - were destroyed during filming, but the stunt crews used any 1968-1971 Dodge Charger or AMC Ambassador they could get cheaply and made them all look like one 1969 Charger RT.

If you look closely for scraped chins or buckled rear 1/4 panels you'll notice they often reused lightly damaged cars on the biggest jumps without fixing all the body work. The 1/4 panel buckling was because they had to stick ballast in the trunk to make the cars stay level in the air:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Of-ZRsAK6G8/maxresdefault.jpg

69 Ambassador:
https://photos.classiccars.com/cc-temp/listing/97/8467/7247780-1969-amc-ambassador-std.jpg

69 Charger RT:

Talk about a show that could never be made anymore!

rainman
11-23-2023, 11:59 AM
Strange turn of events as I was surfing various websites including P-F this morning...

After some time on other websites, I clicked back to the tab in my browser that was open to the P-F main page scrolled down to General Discussion and the thread displayed at the right was "Two dead in 'attempted terror attack' on Rainbow Bridge in New York".

Rather than click directly on this thread for an update, I clicked "General Discussion". The resulting thread at the top was "Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)".

For a split-second, I was puzzled and thought that the mods had moved this to the 'cooking' thread since what was thought to be an act of terror was found to actually be a Car-B-Que.

Too much or too little coffee? :confused:

-Rainman

rdtompki
11-23-2023, 12:48 PM
Occupant survival would have provided Bentley with advertising gold.

jh9
11-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Sure, there's crazy traffic and bad drivers everywhere...but with those two places, there was sort of this mindless obstinance about the drivers and their need to drive with entirely nonsensical behaviors

I've heard Philly is up there, as is supposedly the entire state of Massachusetts. Like you say there's crazy traffic and bad drivers everywhere but some places just dial it up to 11 then rip off the knob. And everybody just treats it as the way it is because it's the way it's always been. :confused:

jh9
11-23-2023, 12:55 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if that were an Iron Bowl style rivalry they just don't tell the rest of us about.

HeavyDuty
11-23-2023, 01:07 PM

I’ve always been situationally dialed in while driving, but I’ve really had to up my game since moving here. People are insane, which in part led me to selling the Miata. I want iron around me, or a Phalanx gun.

HeavyDuty
11-23-2023, 01:09 PM
I've heard Philly is up there, as is supposedly the entire state of Massachusetts. Like you say there's crazy traffic and bad drivers everywhere but some places just dial it up to 11 then rip off the knob. And everybody just treats it as the way it is because it's the way it's always been. :confused:

I can’t overstate how poorly Massholes drive. Unpossible.

Hambo
11-23-2023, 02:28 PM
Seeing this photo made my day!

Then check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7S9sbzSx00

Hambo
11-23-2023, 02:34 PM
Occupant survival would have provided Bentley with advertising gold.

The Bentley board room watches the video on X...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_lWJ38hidM

Stephanie B
11-23-2023, 05:53 PM
I can’t overstate how poorly Massholes drive. Unpossible.

"Masshole driver" is a term that is understood everywhere north of the Potomac River, east of the OH-PA line and south of the St. Lawrence River.

They drive five under the limit in the left lane or twenty over in the right lane. Massholes treat traffic control signs as being mere suggestions. There is a hotel, not far from here, with a "No left turn" sign at the exit to its lot. Whenever I see some clown turn left there, the vehicle has MA plates, guaranteed. In the Northeast, only Jersey drivers approach Massholes for being morons who were apparently drunk through driver's ed. I don't know why they even bother keeping the RMV open in MA, unless it's to provide the syphilitic cousins of state pols with jobs. They might as well give out drivers' licenses for proof-of-purchases from twelve-packs of beer.

blues
11-23-2023, 05:55 PM
And they tawk funny too.

Stephanie B
11-23-2023, 05:57 PM
How much do you want to bet that Fox News (or whoever) got "insider tips" from officers who didn't actually know what was going on, and then didn't bother to verify?

It doesn't hurt that scaremongering is a pretty reliable way to make money for news agencies.

Ratcheting up the level of fear without verifiable cause solely to turn a buck is doing a monumental disservice to the country. I'd bet heavily that a significant percentage of those watching cable news yesterday came away with the belief that what happened was an act of terrorism and still believe that.

Things are nuts enough now without making people crazier for fun and profit.

Joe in PNG
11-23-2023, 06:03 PM
Ratcheting up the level of fear without verifiable cause solely to turn a buck is doing a monumental disservice to the country. I'd bet heavily that a significant percentage of those watching cable news yesterday came away with the belief that what happened was an act of terrorism and still believe that.

It's worse than that- those people will also refuse to believe that it was not a terrorist act, and that any news to the contrary is some sort of nefarious coverup.

Chance
11-24-2023, 07:28 AM

Texas has a spectrum of bad driving. Dallas is Mad Max. San Antonio isn't even Mad Max, because Mad Max has logic to it.

Edster
11-24-2023, 08:24 AM
Dallas is a bunch of people who aren't sure where they are going and a bunch of people who know exactly where they are going and want to beat their personal best time for getting there.

ccmdfd
11-24-2023, 08:52 AM
Texas has a spectrum of bad driving. Dallas is Mad Max. San Antonio isn't even Mad Max, because Mad Max has logic to it.

Dallas is a bunch of people who aren't sure where they are going and a bunch of people who know exactly where they are going and want to beat their personal best time for getting there.

It's been quite some times since I've driven in Texas. When I did it was always in Small Town Country in the eastern part of the state.

Driving around that part of the state was quite nice. Most people would actually pull over onto the shoulder to let you pass them. It was rare to actually need to use the left lane at all.

Half Moon
11-24-2023, 10:14 AM

He gets a bad rap but as William Randolph Hearst is alleged to have said:

'We got the bubble headed bleached blonde, comes on at five, she can tell you 'bout the car crash with a gleam in her eye'...

Murdoch can still redeem himself though. Endow a prize or two and it's Pullitzer 2.0, baby...

Malamute
11-24-2023, 10:15 AM
My drive 5-6 days a week for almost 13 years has been 183-30-Loop 12. The inability/unwillingness to follow and the willful ignorance of basic rules of the road and common courtesy is simply staggering...

Most of the true old timers here in the Rocky Mountain Wastelands of Culture and Refinement do the two finger wave off the steering wheel to oncoming vehicles on the back roads. Most newer people just dont.

Caballoflaco
11-24-2023, 11:01 AM
Most of the true old timers here in the Rocky Mountain Wastelands of Culture and Refinement do the two finger wave off the steering wheel to oncoming vehicles on the back roads. Most newer people just dont.

We lost most of the rural back road driving wave sometime in the early 2000’s here in Alabama.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-24-2023, 12:19 PM
The most fun in TX is watching folks bail off the freeway when there is congestion. One part of I-10 in SATX is on a pretty steep rise. When traffic was heavy you would see guys in trucks hurtling down the slope. Or you would see grooves in the medians where folks were turning around. Going where I dunno.

The best was on I-35 on the way to Austin. So traffic is staffed. Mr. Muh Truck drives onto the median. However, the media is really an arc segment. So he goes down one side and gets stuck on the on the upswing of the arc. His rear bumper is now suspended on the down side of the median that he entered. So he is suspended by both bumpers and no tire purchase. Family drama with the lady is ongoing in the cab. Wonder how that worked out?

Next, I am going to Karl Rehn's for a carbine class. It's near Bastrop. The weather is hellstorm but stupid ol' me keeps going. There is crap all over I-35. I call Karl who says the weather is OK by him (that's because the storm is following me). Sheet metal on the road. Seems a tornado just went by. Oops. A guy is standing by the side of the road. His truck (gotta be a truck) is in the flooded drainage ditch (how did it get there) floating in the raging stream. It is heading for an overpass archway that is clearly smaller in diameter than his truck. Oh, dear, I drive by.

Go over flooded intersections to get to class (outside of Bastrop). Soggy class but ok. IIRC, in that class or another, some guy drives in with a Miata. Can't get out at the end as the dirt road is mud. Has to be hauled out. My Honda Civic made it through though. In that class, a guy had a Kel-tec 223 carbine whose stock cracked out. Karl lent him a Marlin Camp Carbine to finish. My 1990's Olympic Arms, just after the ban, was fine. It made it until 2016 when it decided to break parts. Sold it to a friend who likes to fix things.

That Civic drove thorough lots of crappy weather in Oregon and TX just fine. Made 250K miles before I gave it to charity.

Chuck Whitlock
11-24-2023, 02:59 PM
It's been quite some times since I've driven in Texas. When I did it was always in Small Town Country in the eastern part of the state.

Driving around that part of the state was quite nice. Most people would actually pull over onto the shoulder to let you pass them. It was rare to actually need to use the left lane at all.

It is very nice and thoughtful of them to do so.

Unfortunately, I've lost count of how many chips and cracks I've gotten in my windshields from these acts of kindness. Maybe Texas used to sweep the shoulders back in the day and have given it up or something.

revchuck38
11-24-2023, 03:24 PM
The most fun in TX is watching folks bail off the freeway when there is congestion. One part of I-10 in SATX is on a pretty steep rise. When traffic was heavy you would see guys in trucks hurtling down the slope. Or you would see grooves in the medians where folks were turning around. Going where I dunno.

I saw the same thing in Beaumont on US 69 on the way to the refineries. Guys wouldn't even slow down, they'd just drive down the grass to the service road and keep going.

Go over flooded intersections to get to class (outside of Bastrop). Soggy class but ok. IIRC, in that class or another, some guy drives in with a Miata. Can't get out at the end as the dirt road is mud. Has to be hauled out. My Honda Civic made it through though. In that class, a guy had a Kel-tec 223 carbine whose stock cracked out. Karl lent him a Marlin Camp Carbine to finish. My 1990's Olympic Arms, just after the ban, was fine. It made it until 2016 when it decided to break parts. Sold it to a friend who likes to fix things.

That Civic drove thorough lots of crappy weather in Oregon and TX just fine. Made 250K miles before I gave it to charity.

I had an '82 Civic wagon that made it through almost-flooded dirt roads in south AZ and through the snow in PA when I went hunting. If it couldn't make it up the hills in the snow going forward, I'd drift back to the bottom and turn around and go up them in reverse. It was an awesome car, the salt on the roads in PA killed the body.

0ddl0t
11-24-2023, 05:57 PM
Aside from those operating around Austin or Dallas, I found most drivers in Texas to be pretty decent.

Chicago stands out for terrible drivers, but I don't think they're objectively any worse than NYC - the rest of the midwest is just so good that Chicago seems worse than it is in contrast. Nashville is like that too.

If it is raining I'd award Los Angeles drivers the title worst in the nation.

0ddl0t
11-24-2023, 07:00 PM
Investigators are looking into a possible mechanical failure. The couple's left-hand drive 2022 Bentley Flying Spur was not part of a sticky accelerator pedal recall for 2021 right-hand drive Flying Spurs.

https://archive.ph/2xpHj

luckyman
11-24-2023, 10:13 PM
We lost most of the rural back road driving wave sometime in the early 2000’s here in Alabama.

My current mission in life is to bring the West Virginia backroads driving (and walking) wave to Northeastern Nevada, where it already had a head start. I think I might be succeeding in my neighborhood.

Malamute
11-25-2023, 12:25 AM
My current mission in life is to bring the West Virginia backroads driving (and walking) wave to Northeastern Nevada, where it already had a head start. I think I might be succeeding in my neighborhood.

Ive initiated it in the midwest, the farmer types out of town respond. They seem slightly surprised but respond.

Hambo
11-25-2023, 06:36 AM
I had an '82 Civic wagon that made it through almost-flooded dirt roads in south AZ and through the snow in PA when I went hunting. If it couldn't make it up the hills in the snow going forward, I'd drift back to the bottom and turn around and go up them in reverse. It was an awesome car, the salt on the roads in PA killed the body.

We had a 1990 (IIRC) wagon 4x4 (high/low range) with a 6spd standard (L, 2-5, OD). It had it all and went anywhere.

The wave still happens in the western part of the county, which is mainly ranches. However, the big city is eating up territory fast.

Gun Mutt
11-25-2023, 08:44 AM

Ive initiated it in the midwest, the farmer types out of town respond. They seem slightly surprised but respond.

Yup, IN country kid, always have, always will. We used to wave to cops, too, but that's pretty much reserved for the local LEO in my little town now.

blues
11-25-2023, 09:24 AM
We had a 1990 (IIRC) wagon 4x4 (high/low range) with a 6spd standard (L, 2-5, OD). It had it all and went anywhere.

The wave still happens in the western part of the county, which is mainly ranches. However, the big city is eating up territory fast.

It's still a thing where I live.

Stephanie B
11-25-2023, 09:30 AM
If it is raining I'd award Los Angeles drivers the title worst in the nation.

My brother would agree wholeheartedly.

revchuck38
11-25-2023, 09:44 AM
It's still a thing where I live.

Same here.

luckyman
11-25-2023, 10:53 AM
Yup, IN country kid, always have, always will. We used to wave to cops, too, but that's pretty much reserved for the local LEO in my little town now.

I tried it in Silicon Valley. I went on a walk in a nice park in Sunnyvale. Nobody would even make eye contact. After I noticed it I started counting. I passed 28 people and only 1 made eye contact.

jh9
11-25-2023, 11:11 AM
I tried it in Silicon Valley. I went on a walk in a nice park in Sunnyvale. Nobody would even make eye contact. After I noticed it I started counting. I passed 28 people and only 1 made eye contact.

Given the area, people probably avoided eye contact because otherwise they open themselves up to hearing about:

someone's startup, which is TOTALLY going to disrupt the $XYZ industry bro
someone rambling about the space lizard army and demanding a dollar
someone's soundcloud
someone who's running a good old fashioned con - I just need gas money and hey I've got free candy in the van
someone's new cryptocoin that's goi... NO WAIT BRO COME BACK THIS IS A GROUND FLOOR OPPORTUNITY

Gun Mutt
11-25-2023, 03:41 PM

Had a security gig that took me to Sacramento for 6mos, people walking their dogs passing you while walking your dogs look at you like you're fekkin' nuts for calling out a greeting. Hold the door open for someone at a restaurant and they're act like it's either magic or that, ya know, obvi, they deserve it.

Gawd, but I loved leaving the PRK..I can't fathom anything that would make me go back.

0ddl0t
11-25-2023, 04:10 PM
Had a security gig that took me to Sacramento for 6mos, people walking their dogs passing you while walking your dogs look at you like you're fekkin' nuts for calling out a greeting. Hold the door open for someone at a restaurant and they're act like it's either magic or that, ya know, obvi, they deserve it.

My aunt spent most of her working life in either San Diego or Sacramento. When she first retired and moved to the rural northstate, she complained about how nosy everyone was. "Why does everyone want to know how my day is going?! I just want to buy my groceries in peace!!!" Now she's the one holding up the line asking about the cashier's kids' school play...

When she still lived in Sacramento I remember visiting her as a teenager and going out to some bland old person buffet. On the way back to our car, we see an elderly couple standing next to a flat tire. We asked if they needed a hand and they looked at us like we were from Mars. The frail husband said AAA was coming, but the wife was quick to add "they're busy and will be at least an hour..." So we offer to put on their spare. They were shocked complete strangers would offer to help with such a trivial task and downright flabbergasted when my sister started jacking the car (as I undid the lugnuts). "Where are you from?!" they wanted to know. "How did you know were aren't from here?" I thought at the time...

rob_s
12-06-2023, 06:29 AM
I’m gonna go ahead and guess where old Dan Kios stands on gun control too…

https://slate.com/business/2023/11/bentley-speeding-niagara-rainbow-road-villani.html

It does make you wonder, though: Why on earth would someone want to own a car—one meant to be driven on regular old roads in, for example, upstate New York, where its driver operated a small local chain of hardware stores—that can go a reported 175 miles per hour? That’s 110 miles per hour faster than the highest posted speed limit in the state of New York. It’s about 107 miles per hour faster than the highest posted speed limit in Ontario, where the driver hoped to attend a KISS concert. Heck, that’s 90 miles per hour faster than the highest posted speed limit in all of America (on state Highway 130 outside Austin, Texas).