PDA

View Full Version : Small earthquake here

Borderland
11-16-2023, 07:56 PM
Just felt a small earthquake about 5 minutes ago where I live NW of Everett WA about 20 miles. Not sure where it was centered but definitely a shaker.

Edit.

3.47 magnitude right across bay east of us. Not big enough to get excited about.

Hell, I lived through the 6.8 Nisqually earthquake without a scratch. ;)

Glenn E. Meyer
11-16-2023, 10:48 PM
I went through one in Portland. Then in WNY, a few months ago we had a 3.8, gave the house a strong shake like an impact. Everyone thought a truck hit their house. Rare here.

feudist
11-16-2023, 11:40 PM
Snoop gave up weed and that opened the Seventh Seal.

Clusterfrack
11-17-2023, 12:32 AM
I was in the East Bay for the Loma Prieta quake.

TGS
11-17-2023, 07:55 AM
Slept through a 5.4 in Mexico City. Didn't even know it happened until I woke up the next morning.

RoyGBiv
11-17-2023, 08:26 AM
My very distant brush with a big one....

My first trip to Japan was January 1995. On the night of my arrival in Tokyo, I was awakened by what felt like an earthquake, at about 3AM local time. First time I felt one happening (we had a few when I lived in upstate NY that were in the news, but, I never felt them) I looked out the small hotel window, checked the hallway. Nothing. When I arrived at work the next morning I asked my colleagues if they had felt the quake. The Americans (myself, one from Atlanta, 2 others from Seattle area) all said yes, the Japanese all said no. LOL. We confirmed later that day it was a 3.4 quake some distance from the city.

Of course I stayed the weekend to check out the city and flew out Monday via Chicago to NC. By the time I landed in NC, Kobe had been devastated.

I did feel a 4.x here in FTW some years ago with an epicenter in OK. Was laying on the couch watching TV when I felt it rolling from my feet to my head (North to South)

Borderland
11-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Slept through a 5.4 in Mexico City. Didn't even know it happened until I woke up the next morning.

If I had been asleep I would have missed it also. ;)

A house on my block (two doors up the street) caught fire in the middle of the night and I knew nothing about until I drove past it on my way to work. House was mostly destroyed.

Borderland
11-17-2023, 11:43 AM

That one did some damage. I remember seeing the buckled freeways on the news.

Borderland
11-17-2023, 11:48 AM
I went through one in Portland. Then in WNY, a few months ago we had a 3.8, gave the house a strong shake like an impact. Everyone thought a truck hit their house. Rare here.

Interesting comparison. I did some work near a bombing range in S. CA. The shock waves hit us from the exploding ordnance about a mile away. Earthquakes can be like that.

Wondering Beard
11-17-2023, 06:10 PM
Some 12 years ago, I was staying near Cuernavaca in Mexico and the room began to move right as I was sitting still, It was a very weird experience of about ten seconds.

Somewhere around three on the scale, I think?

Borderland
11-17-2023, 06:30 PM
Like no other feeling. One just has to experience it to believe it.

FrankinCA
11-17-2023, 06:31 PM

I’ve been through a few here in SoCal..the Northridge (‘94) and Whittier Narrows (and Frisco quake a few weeks later) were hairy.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-17-2023, 07:00 PM
After the Portland little quake, a female relative refused to get off the coach for a few days. Just to eat and take care of personal needs. We had to go over and gently convince her to enter life again.

Waiting for the asteroid strike or some gamma ray burst that fries the planet. Don't read astronomy sites.

BobM
11-17-2023, 07:57 PM
In 1986 or 87, my senior year at Ohio University in SE Ohio, I was in class on the fourth (top) floor. I felt the building shake so I packed up and left. My classmates seemed to think I was overreacting. Apparently there’s a fault that lies generally north/south from around Cleveland.

Tapatio
11-17-2023, 09:34 PM
Experienced a short shake in Manhattan, of all places in 1986. Rattled the windows.

And a little event in San Francisco in 1989 that shut down the city for a few days. That was eye-opening. Most people in the neighborhood, as soon as they realized they were OK, lined up at the corner store to buy booze.

When the world is ending, a lot of folks want to get messed up and/or fornicate. Everyone's seen the photos from Pompeii.