PDA

View Full Version : Any Casio Duro owners here?

Pnut
11-15-2023, 01:32 PM
I picked up a Casio Duro a while back. Mine still has the marlin emblem on it. I think they dropped the logo a few years ago. It’s a great, fancy looking, inexpensive dive style watch that I don’t mind beating up. I like if for EDC wear when I don’t want to sport my Panerai. The great thing about it is that I can use my many Panerai strap with it because the lug are the same size.

The only down side to it is the Rolex-esque look to it. I often get asked if it’s a Rolex and have to tell people it’s simply a Casio. Living in a big city, it might attract attention from dumb criminals.

The lum on my watch isn’t the greatest either. The hands do glow brighter and longer than the number markers.

PNWTO
11-15-2023, 01:53 PM
I love my two Duros; they’re a fantastic beater with some good aesthetics. I wear mine traveling and have donated more than one as an additional tip to a Mexican snorkel/dive guide.

There is a very good amount of aftermarket support for them, but I have reservations about spending $100+ on a $50 watch.

I also don’t think they look too “Swiss” and they have more innate trends of the other Japanese divers that rose to popularity in the 80s. I also don’t worry too much about criminal attraction, I feel any polished case watch with a good dial will get “the eyes” and they can happily have it.

vcdgrips
11-15-2023, 03:03 PM
Casio Duro- a fantastic watch for the money. Far exceeds the intersection of quality/value. A great testbed for wearing multiple watchstraps should you be inclined to change them to color coordinate.

I will likely buy one for a dedicated pool watch when an old digital casio dies.

Re "looking like a Rolex"- non watch folks think any diver with a black face is a rolex. In the 1980s/90s, folks said that about Seikos. In the 2000s, it was Invicta, now it is almost anything, "divey."

1. colorful straps, rubber and fabric lessen the Rolex look considerably
2. a non black face watch does so as well.

Pnut
11-15-2023, 03:44 PM
I was surprised to find out how much modding people do to these watches! Curved lenses, metal bands, etc.

Are your number lums not as bright as the dial lum like mine?

PNWTO
11-15-2023, 06:21 PM
Are your number lums not as bright as the dial lum like mine?

I don’t know if I’ve ever bothered to look as the lume is pretty shit compared to higher-priced pieces.

It’s like the the white-out paste they put on the dial was stored next to real luminous paint.

Le Français
12-16-2023, 08:28 AM
The blue dial Duro I got for $42 a few years ago is a great watch. 44mm is pretty big by today's standards, but the lug-to-lug is shorter than on many smaller watches. Accuracy is excellent, staying around or below 5 sec./mo. That’s a minute tops at the end of the year. The lume is total crap, which sinks the watch as a good EDC option for me. It does well for use at the range.