PDA

View Full Version : Night matches IDPA

CraigS
11-14-2023, 10:34 AM
I shot the first one of the year last Saturday. Shot my 92LTT w/ a TLR2G light and green laser combi unit. Had problems w/ the light going off during recoil. I had added length to the right side switch by drilling into and JBWelding a grip screw and nut on. That gave me about a 1/8" extension. Here it is w/ the screw removed but an extra nut on it to simulate the total length.
All I can figure is that having the left and right sides a different weight, somehow the recoil impulse imparted a force that, acting on different weights, rotated the switch. So I have removed the screw but left the nut. Hopefully getting the sides nearer equal will get rid of the rotation. I will find out this Sat PM.
BTW, if you haven't shot a night match, you are missing a really fun time. I have a cheapy three AAA flashlight on a lanyard around my neck. It shines on the ground for walking and I stick it between my teeth for loading mags, pasting targets, etc. I have a couple other flashlights w/ me but this $6 light from Lowes is all I use. In between people actually shooting, everyone has similar flashlights. But when called to shoot every one except the RO turns their light off. The RO light gets you to the line, and through the make ready and reholster part. Then his light goes off and it is DARK. As soon as the buzzer goes off, out comes the gun and on goes the light. I think the TLR-2G is 200 lumens which is more than enough. The 3 previous years I used a Crimson Trace L and L which I think is 100 lumens. It was fine too. This Sat our IWLA night match is 3 stages pistol only and 3 stages 2 gun. This will be a blast as the 2 gun stages are 30+ rnds and a couple of the pistol stages are 25 or so rnds. Yep, not official idpa. This will be my 3rd 2gun w/ the S&W FPC carbine but now w/ laser, and light added to my usual dot sight. In general these two night matches are my favorites of the year.

Mirolynmonbro
11-14-2023, 01:56 PM
A club in Birmingham started their night matches too since the time change happened. I attended a few last year and it was tons of fun. I'm hoping to make it out there again.

CraigS
11-15-2023, 08:07 AM
Yes both of the clubs where I shoot night matches start on the first Sat after daylight savings time goes away. That way the match can start at 6pm and be done an hour earlier.

Jim Watson
11-15-2023, 09:01 AM
I am too far from Brock's Gap to make their night match, would have gone to the regular Saturday shoot but rain in the forecast sent me to a closer match.
Ridge Crossing in Mississippi holds a 6:00 PM CDT evening match. It starts in good light, gets dim, then ends up under floodlights. You don't have to have a flashlight but one would help if you are in the bottom of the squad on the second stage.

Moylan
11-15-2023, 11:02 AM
I just missed my local night match because my wife and I hit a Malpass Brothers concert that evening. Oh well. Maybe next year.

"Local" = 1hr 45 min drive. :(