PDA

View Full Version : Drill of the week order

SafCPT
03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Just getting started again in shooting after 20 years off. Have run about 1200 rounds in the past few months and just had a lesson from an instructor (also an IPSC shooter)that corrected a few things. My question. For a person like me that is just getting started again is there an order for the drills that I have seen posted. I went back to the first Drill of the Week and thought that might be a good place to start. Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks

JodyH
03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Choose drills with either no par times or easily achieved par times for the first few weeks.
Right now you'll want to be doing everything perfect, which usually means 1/2 or 3/4 speed.
You want drills that focus on mechanics not speed.

SafCPT
03-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks. I'm doing dry fire draws, trigger pulls etc. Just joined a range with total access to anything I need. Ran across this site and read the drills. Wanting to get started on the right foot and maybe try some competion. Watched a match this past weekend and was impressed. My instructor walked me through the course after the meet was over and explained some of the do's and dont's.

ToddG
03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
For someone who is going to put regular dedicated effort into improving overall pistol skill performance:

Work on accuracy only until you can consistently hit a 3x5 card at 7yd on demand two-handed, and at 5yd SHO/WHO.
Then begin incorporating drills that involve draws and reloads with relatively few rounds per iteration. Use no time limits and focus on getting the movements down properly with good hits rather than being fast. Continue to work on improving your marksmanship (go for 3x5 @ 10yd 2H, 7yd SHO/WHO).
Begin incorporating speed into the shooting portion of your training. Work on things like Bill Drills and Changing Gears. Don't go so fast that you get sloppy. Continue to work on improving your marksmanship (3x5 @ 15yd 2H, 10yd SHO/WHO).
Work on improving the speed of your manipulations along with the speed of your shots. Continue to improve your marksmanship at every range session.

SafCPT
04-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Todd,

Thanks for responding. Glad I found this site. Looks like alot of good info. Been working on 3X5 cards and 3" sticky notes. Going to get some 2" and 1" sticky notes.
I have several old polital campaign signs that I'm covering with brown masking paper and applying targets. So I get to recycle the signs and save my carboard targets until I get proficient. I'm going to start a log and keep record of my results.

By the way, these signs make excellent target backers. Corrugated plastic and the same size as an IPSC target less the head. Can use a 3X5 card for the head.

Thanks again.

KentF
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Work on accuracy only until you can consistently hit a 3x5 card at 7yd on demand two-handed, and at 7yd SHO/WHO.

Shouldn't this be 3yd SHO/WHO?

ToddG
04-01-2011, 01:51 PM
It should have been 5yd for SHO/WHO. Tapatalk won't let me edit, but I'll fix it when I get home from TX unless one of the other Staff wants to do it...