PDA

View Full Version : New Chronograph from Garmin

ccmdfd
10-19-2023, 09:55 AM
This showed up on my suggested YouTube channels today.

https://youtu.be/SBgc-OvHEVQ?si=MKenOY_el-doZYqb

Trigger
10-19-2023, 10:06 AM
Very tempting. My shooting partner has one on order.

Default.mp3
10-19-2023, 10:55 AM
I am quite interested. I don't really care for how my MagnetoSpeed V3 alters my POA/POI, and is super annoying to set up, since I use a suppressor on all of my long guns. I'm not a reloader, and just a data queer, so I'll probably wait for more reviews to roll in before I commit, but I am definitely intrigued.

Clusterfrack
10-19-2023, 11:05 AM
Cdub_NW is our test dummy?

oregon45
10-19-2023, 11:17 AM
I'm really interested in seeing how these do in the field. The form factor alone makes it much more usable than the Labradar.

GJM
10-19-2023, 11:29 AM
I just went to post a link to this and saw that you guys beat me to it. Looks quite interesting.

Cdub_NW
10-19-2023, 11:42 AM
Cdub_NW is our test dummy?

I'll get it into testing immediately when it arrives.

Tokarev
10-19-2023, 03:16 PM
I'll get it into testing immediately when it arrives.

Did you find one in stock somewhere? The few places I've looked had them pre-order only.

CS Tactical
10-19-2023, 03:44 PM
Did you find one in stock somewhere? The few places I've looked had them pre-order only.

We had a few dozen in stock and sold out in minutes, we will have over a hundred more in November.
https://cstactical.com/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/

okie john
10-19-2023, 04:17 PM
My MagnetoSpeed causes POI shifts so I have to shoot for groups and velocity separately, which limits the amount of ammo that I'm willing to expend. With this, every shot that I fire from the bench can become part of a velocity test, so I'll get larger sample sizes which means more accurate results.

Definitely interested.

Okie John

Wake27
10-19-2023, 04:31 PM
Also saw this yesterday and became immediately interested. I love my Tactix Delta and have only seen good things about several of their other products so I have high hopes. I ditched the Magneto due to setup being a PITA and didn't want to spend the money on a labradar but for another Garmin product, especially of that size, I will.

Cdub_NW
10-19-2023, 04:42 PM

I’ve got one reserved and paid for on the inbound batch my local dealer is expecting late next week. Assuming it’s the quantity he’s been told, otherwise his second batch is set to arrive on 11/8.

Garmin was noting 5-8 weeks on their website this am.

joshs
10-19-2023, 05:25 PM
For those with Magnetospeed POI issues, the MKM and similar mounts eliminate that issue. Still super fiddly to setup compared to this Garmin unit though. Has anyone seen it used with other shooters in close proximity? I do a bunch of early load development on our indoor range, so I’ve been stuck with Magnetospeed since the other units I’ve seen can’t be used next to other shooters.

JCN
10-19-2023, 09:05 PM
I would take this over the battery sucking LabRadar I have any day of the week.

https://www.scheels.com/p/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/75375933073.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEkq B8WMxU_i8N29UkyLkgav1ozTyPH7bf6ePw8DVgDfkoBjJyhomO hoCIpcQAvD_BwE&src=hardlines

$599 isn’t bad at all

GJM
10-20-2023, 08:14 AM
It turns out that my friend, who is the number two instructor at Hat Creek, has used one and says they work great.

GyroF-16
10-20-2023, 10:02 AM
I would take this over the battery sucking LabRadar I have any day of the week.

https://www.scheels.com/p/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/75375933073.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEkq B8WMxU_i8N29UkyLkgav1ozTyPH7bf6ePw8DVgDfkoBjJyhomO hoCIpcQAvD_BwE&src=hardlines

$599 isn’t bad at all

Are you putting AA batteries IN the LabRadar?
I have this external battery from them:
https://buymylabradar.com/products/usb-rechargable-battery-pack
(Although it seems most any decent external battery would work).
I’ve used it for hours at a time and still had 85% charge remaining.

JCN
10-20-2023, 10:16 AM

I’ve done it both ways. Battery pack works but adds to the bulk and form factor. Especially when on a tripod.

For me, the issue usually comes from inadvertent power on press when in the trunk or stacked.

I’ve been meaning to shim a plate to block off the power button but I would have loved a physical power cut off switch or a recessed power button.

ccmdfd
10-20-2023, 12:01 PM

I’ve done it both ways. Battery pack works but adds to the bulk and form factor. Especially when on a tripod.

For me, the issue usually comes from inadvertent power on press when in the trunk or stacked.

I’ve been meaning to shim a plate to block off the power button but I would have loved a physical power cut off switch or a recessed power button.

I purchased the external battery pack myself. I've been using it and still having troubles. Just a few weeks ago the chronograph was refusing to arm with an error message of low battery. The external battery showed 85% charge still remaining. I then had it happen even with the external battery showing 95% charge still remaining.

jellydonut
10-20-2023, 12:15 PM
I'm getting this as soon as I can.

Does anyone feel like it is a huge vibe shift for Garmin of all companies to get into the weeds with this nerdy shooting sports equipment?

Next they'll put a fully functioning shot timer in their smartwatch.

GyroF-16
10-20-2023, 12:28 PM
Next they'll put a fully functioning shot timer in their smartwatch.

Don’t tease me.

ccmdfd
10-20-2023, 01:08 PM
Don’t tease me.

And a ballistics app and shot group analyzer. Furthermore, all of these devices will be controlled with the smartwatch and integrated with each other!

JCN
10-20-2023, 02:48 PM
I purchased the external battery pack myself. I've been using it and still having troubles. Just a few weeks ago the chronograph was refusing to arm with an error message of low battery. The external battery showed 85% charge still remaining. I then had it happen even with the external battery showing 95% charge still remaining.

I’ve had some issues with external battery packs being finicky sometimes too.

One time I had to drive to the nearest gas station to buy AA batteries to run the damn thing.

A buddy borrowed someone else’s and asked for help at the range… you guessed it… dead batteries.

GJM
10-23-2023, 10:27 AM
https://youtu.be/TXMilgPvrfY?si=6VAdV46f30zLrr0Y

flyrodr
10-24-2023, 09:21 AM
Shouldn't have watched that video. Now I want one too.

mtnbkr
10-24-2023, 09:27 AM
Does anyone feel like it is a huge vibe shift for Garmin of all companies to get into the weeds with this nerdy shooting sports equipment?

I noticed that too. However, their normal field GPS devices have some hunting/fishing related features, so it's not entirely out of left field.

Chris

GJM
10-24-2023, 02:20 PM
I noticed that too. However, their normal field GPS devices have some hunting/fishing related features, so it's not entirely out of left field.

Chris

Between their tactical watches with Applied Ballistics and their bow hunting sight, I think Garmin caters to shooters and hunters.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/613654

DamonL
10-24-2023, 04:26 PM
You mentioned Applied Ballistics on a watch. I had to look it up.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/802901

Cdub_NW
11-02-2023, 07:34 PM
Garmin in hand, will hit the range tomorrow to begin testing...

Cdub_NW
11-07-2023, 01:46 PM
First wave of testing in the books. I was able to get out to the range on three separate days in a range of conditions. From near freezing temps, to approx 60 degrees, VERY windy conditions on two of three days and nearly zero wind on the third.

Rifles used were a 14.5" BCM w/Omega suppressor shooting both 55gr FMJ reloads and 77gr SMK M262 hand loads; 12.5" Triarc SBR w/RC2 can with the same rounds; 300PRC out of a proof pre-fit carbon barrel w/Harvester can, 6.5CR w/muzzle brake with 143gr hand loads.

Overall the data the Garmin was gathering was consistent both to itself and comparing to a magnetospeed on the same shots for each trip. The Garmin was consistently showing 2 FPS lower than the magnetospeed on nearly all shots (or the Magnetospeed is 2 FPS faster????). Largest difference I noted was 2.2 FPS and smallest was 1.9 FPS. I mixed up the charge weights in some loads to see how/if both units captured the velocity change and both picked up the differences consistently.

Overall I am extremely impressed with the Garmin, long term usage will tell if it is durable but so far the outlook is VERY promising. The setup is nearly effortless, syncing with the mobile device is slick and easy. I won't be selling the magnetospeed yet as it will be my backup unit but I doubt I will ever touch it again assuming the Garmin continues to work.

For you bow shooters out there, I also tested with three different bows and got positive results. Phase4 29 @78lbs 27.5" Draw; V3X @70lbs 27.5" draw and Hoyt Ventum 30 @ 68lbs 27.5" draw. Arrow weights from 374, 422, 453 & 474 The device was able to pickup the FPS differences between a few arrows with some slight weight differences out of all my bows. Appears to be equally as accurate as it was with various rifle cartridges and charge weights.

Default.mp3
11-07-2023, 02:00 PM
Overall I am extremely impressed with the Garmin, long term usage will tell if it is durable but so far the outlook is VERY promising. The setup is nearly effortless, syncing with the mobile device is slick and easy. I won't be selling the magnetospeed yet as it will be my backup unit but I doubt I will ever touch it again assuming the Garmin continues to work.Thanks for the review, that sounds very promising.

Trigger
11-07-2023, 03:32 PM
My shooting partner bought one, and I’ve shot over it a few times now. 22LR pistol, 22LR rifle, 22GT, 6.5Manbun, 300BLK, 38Spl carbine, 9mm carbine and 9mm pistol. Used with the stock tripod off the bench.

I’m really impressed. Caught every shot it could. Only time it missed a shot was when I fired a follow up shot too quickly. It needs a “potato” to recycle and recharge. It also missed if the unit was too far from the bore axis (several feet’s away), but that makes sense.

The user interface is simple, and the iPhone app is pretty slick given how new it is. Makes it easy to capture all your shooting. The data driven reloaders and shooters among us are going to go nuts with the amount of data they can track and log. Great battery life, small size, light weight.

Definitely going on my Christmas list!

ccmdfd
11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Happened to see one of these yesterday at the range. Man I was not aware of how small it actually was in real life.

The owner said he just happened to be at Bass Pro when a shipment came in and they were stocking them on the shelves.

He says he's tried multiple different guns with it and it's picked up every single time. Can't wait to get one myself!

BN
11-09-2023, 07:30 PM
Mine came today. I was checking online the other day to see if anybody had them in stock. Cabelas did and I had a bunch of Cabelas points to use. So. ;)

This thing is great. I used my Vudoo 22LR and shot some various ammo. Everything was consistent with readings I had gotten previously from my Competition Electronics chrono. I didn't compare them directly because it was already too dark for the CE. I fired 93 rounds and it picked up every one. It still registered correctly when it was so dark I could barely see the white pepper popper at 140 yards. I had to use the illuminated reticle to even be able to shoot.

The controls are very easy to use. I had to poke around a little to get things the way I wanted them. I found a place where I can "rename session" so its easier to find each separate session with different guns or ammo or any other information you want to find.

This is going to revolutionize things. Now I can chrono while I'm shooting a long range steel benchrest match and figure out if it was a bad round or a bad shooter when a shot goes low. :rolleyes:

EMC
11-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Gonna have to do way better than that Labradar, the Garmin is coming to get you!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231110/0f67c2313ee04544f80e169551d86846.jpg

Archer1440
11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
For you bow shooters out there, I also tested with three different bows and got positive results. Phase4 29 @78lbs 27.5" Draw; V3X @70lbs 27.5" draw and Hoyt Ventum 30 @ 68lbs 27.5" draw. Arrow weights from 374, 422, 453 & 474 The device was able to pickup the FPS differences between a few arrows with some slight weight differences out of all my bows. Appears to be equally as accurate as it was with various rifle cartridges and charge weights.

That is by design - one of Garmin’s engineers who worked on this was previously a Hoyt engineer.

Archer1440
11-13-2023, 12:09 PM
Full disclosure: I am a former employee and now a consultant for this company- they have the Garmin restocked right now.

https://store.hoyt.com/products/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph

Trigger
11-13-2023, 01:27 PM
Full disclosure: I am a former employee and now a consultant for this company- they have the Garmin restocked right now.

https://store.hoyt.com/products/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph

Gone.

CS Tactical
11-13-2023, 03:18 PM
Another 45 from our pre-orders finally came in and is going straight out today :) We are now past 50% of our 100 pre-orders and will be past 60% tomorrow. We appreciate your patience. -Richard

CS Tactical
11-15-2023, 11:33 AM
We opened up the pre-orders again for the December deliveries, expected deliver is as soon as two weeks :cool:

Archer1440
11-16-2023, 07:53 AM
Just saw one on the local classifieds with a selling price of $800. Opportunistic sellers are a thing. Supplies are regularly replenished on this, Garmin is a major company and a bit of patience is warranted here.

Haven’t had a chance to get to the range with mine yet, but it sure works fine with my office airsoft rig ;)

ccmdfd
11-20-2023, 06:16 PM
Got mine in today!

The size/form factor, as well as the ease of menu operation alone make this thing so much better than the LabRadar.

Did about a total of 40 shots with two separate suppressed rifles and it picked up on every single shot.

A slight word of warning however. If you're buying one get it home, charge it up, sync it with your phone and download the latest software before taking it out. I was actually about the middle of a group with one of the rifles when I took a break to let the rifle cool down. At that point the unit decided it was going to update the software and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It's saved the data from my first few shots as its own session. Didn't really lose any data but I had to go back and combine everything manually later.

Overall very impressed

Archer1440
11-21-2023, 05:18 AM
I was able to pick up shots from a fellow competitor before a match in the test fire bay with the Garmin - handheld. You have to hold steady, or it will warn you motion is detected, but for a quick power factor reading it was incredibly convenient- and it picked up every shot as I stood behind and to one side. Just remarkable.

BN
11-21-2023, 08:59 AM
I took mine to the local Long Gong match Sunday. We shoot at 8", 6" and 4" steel plates at 300 yards with 22 LR.

I unfolded the little legs and set it on the bench beside one of the shooters who was sighting in. It picked up every shot. I then moved it to the bench just to one side and it picked up those shots. It didn't pick up any stray shots from other shooters. Benches are about 3' apart.

CS Tactical
11-21-2023, 01:30 PM
If you want one, get in on a pre-order as we have available units left on the next 50 shipping in at any time to us as I just checked and they are preparing to ship :cool:

Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph $599.99

Jimichanga
11-25-2023, 03:03 AM
I picked up one of these locally and it is fantastic. It is within a few fps of my magnetospeed without all the bulk and zero shift. Did not drop a shot during load development. Really great product.

Edited to add I picked up this mount off Amazon to mount it to the Arca rail on my rifle for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1IF240?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

CS Tactical
11-28-2023, 04:36 PM
11/28/23: Get your pre-orders in now! We have another 50 shipping in and 20 available spots :)

Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph $599.99

Salamander
12-23-2023, 09:23 PM
Got mine yesterday, thanks to CS Tactical for excellent service.

Went to the range today, and am really liking this thing. Perfect timing, put year-old pistol carry ammo downrange and got some numbers for that, plus a couple of recently acquired woods loads, and several reloads. All of that was through my USPc 9 at 25 yds, boringly reliable as always. Also ran two 30.06 reloads through a 1903a3 on 200yd steel.

The Garmin functioned flawlessly. One note, it comes with a quick setup guide, the full manual is a pdf on the Garmin website. I read it the day before, and did not need to refer back to it today, operation was pretty intuitive and the phone app worked well also.

Tokarev
12-24-2023, 08:16 AM
https://blog.scopelist.com/elevate-your-shooting-precision-with-the-garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

CS Tactical
12-26-2023, 10:40 AM
Got mine yesterday, thanks to CS Tactical for excellent service.

Went to the range today, and am really liking this thing. Perfect timing, put year-old pistol carry ammo downrange and got some numbers for that, plus a couple of recently acquired woods loads, and several reloads. All of that was through my USPc 9 at 25 yds, boringly reliable as always. Also ran two 30.06 reloads through a 1903a3 on 200yd steel.

The Garmin functioned flawlessly. One note, it comes with a quick setup guide, the full manual is a pdf on the Garmin website. I read it the day before, and did not need to refer back to it today, operation was pretty intuitive and the phone app worked well also.

You are welcome! :)

Please tell your friends we have more coming in this week unspoken for, just hit the pre-order and it will ship this week!

Jim Watson
12-26-2023, 11:20 AM
You are welcome! :)

Please tell your friends we have more coming in this week unspoken for, just hit the pre-order and it will ship this week!

I sure hope so, I cancelled a backorder elsewhere to get one from you.

CS Tactical
12-26-2023, 11:24 AM
I sure hope so, I cancelled a backorder elsewhere to get one from you.

No hope needed, they are on the way to us. We probably moved more than any one shop going well past 200+ units :cool:

Richard@CST

Screwball
12-26-2023, 03:17 PM
I’m between ordering this or the Angstadt AR9 barrel/suppressor…

Tried to order, both pre-order and in stock are not an option.

Savage Hands
12-26-2023, 03:31 PM

They sold out on this shipment 🙁

CS Tactical
12-26-2023, 03:48 PM

It will open up again Soon! :cool:

They sold out on this shipment 🙁

#misseditbythatmuch ;)

Screwball
12-26-2023, 04:25 PM
Damn… now I really have to consider which to get now verses tax time. [emoji22]

Archer1440
12-26-2023, 09:06 PM
One interesting thing I have found in indoor use is that the Garmin does an excellent job of rejecting shots picked up from adjacent bays. They really did an excellent job with this system. I have yet to have it miss a shot, after about 120 readings both indoors and out over the past few weeks- and I also have yet to need to recharge the thing.

Hell, if you stand still, it even works handheld from a few feet behind a shooter- which is a fun way to "ghost" a reading off a fellow competitor in a USPSA stationary classifier. ;)

GyroF-16
12-26-2023, 09:36 PM
One interesting thing I have found in indoor use is that the Garmin does an excellent job of rejecting shots picked up from adjacent bays.

That’s awesome. That’s one of my only complaints with the Lab Radar unit. Well, and the smaller Garmin unit is appealing too.

CS Tactical
12-28-2023, 11:58 AM
Hey guys, we have another shipment on the way! Pre-Order quickly!!! https://cstactical.com/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/

-Richard

Screwball
12-28-2023, 06:54 PM
Ordered.

Jim Watson
12-29-2023, 05:03 PM
Mine arrived today, 12/29.
I have an assortment of ammo lined up for velocity - power factor.
Maybe tomorrow, else Sunday, Monday, Tuesday depending on indoor range New Years hours.

Archer1440
12-30-2023, 10:46 AM
Mine arrived today, 12/29.
I have an assortment of ammo lined up for velocity - power factor.
Maybe tomorrow, else Sunday, Monday, Tuesday depending on indoor range New Years hours.

Suggestion- while at home with a wifi connection, open up the phone app, turn on the chrono, and let them synch up. Wait a couple of minutes to see if they do a firmware update.

This might save it from happening while you are at your first range session with the device.

Jim Watson
12-30-2023, 12:14 PM
Suggestion- while at home with a wifi connection, open up the phone app, turn on the chrono, and let them synch up. Wait a couple of minutes to see if they do a firmware update.

This might save it from happening while you are at your first range session with the device.

Sounds like a good idea, although I am probably going to start out at the stone axe level, shoot some, write down the velocity, reset, repeat. Leaving the app doo-dads for later.

Archer1440
12-30-2023, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea, although I am probably going to start out at the stone axe level, shoot some, write down the velocity, reset, repeat. Leaving the app doo-dads for later.

Reasonable enough, but sending the info to the app is automatic and quite useful after the fact.

BN
12-30-2023, 01:45 PM
Reasonable enough, but sending the info to the app is automatic and quite useful after the fact.

I like to go to the app on my phone and rename each session while I remember what it is and make notes. I haven't discovered a way to name sessions on the chrono itself.

ccmdfd
12-30-2023, 02:11 PM

Had that happen to me. Reported on it somewhere up thread.

When the chronograph goes into firmware update mode, it completely locks up. You have no choice but to either update or just turn it off. It will even do this in the middle of a string of fire.

Archer1440
12-30-2023, 02:46 PM
Had that happen to me. Reported on it somewhere up thread.

When the chronograph goes into firmware update mode, it completely locks up. You have no choice but to either update or just turn it off. It will even do this in the middle of a string of fire.

Same here, which is why I made the suggestion. It didn’t actually do that until the third range session, but it was a brief inconvenience.

Jim Watson
12-30-2023, 05:25 PM
OK, I am apped and sinked and updated.
First fire tomorrow

ccmdfd
12-31-2023, 04:01 PM
One of the firmware updates must have changed things. At the range today it asked about updating, and this time it gave me a choice of yes or no, and allowed me to keep recording shots.

One thing I wish it would do, when I go to the range I typically take more than one gun. Today I was doing load development with one rifle. After three shots it gets hot and I need to let it cool down. While it's cooling I use another rifle. It would be nice to be able to pause the first rifle session, start up a second session for the second rifle, then get back into the first session and keep recording additional shots there.

Jim Watson
12-31-2023, 05:06 PM
All righty, I have Garmined. I took an assortment of 9mm to the indoor range and shot them over the Xero.
Pro: It picked up nearly all shots and I think I know why it missed three. I was shooting too fast, you need to let it do the sums and display a velocity before shooting again.

Operation was pretty simple, I did not have to refer to my printout of the instructions.

The app on my iPad picked up the data. (My phone may be too old to run the app and it is certainly too small for easy reading.) I will transcribe it to my notebook and see how to manipulate it later.

The 20 yard range stuff does not seem to apply as a minimum. I shot with a large paper target as close as 3 yards and still got velocity in the same range as when at 20.

Con: It picked up many shots from the next lane at the rental range although others say theirs did not. Shots from down the line would sometimes make it flicker but not record a velocity. I got about half my shooting done before the next lane was occupied. I am going to try slanting it a few degrees away from the next lane and see if that helps. Otherwise, I will have to go in at slack hours.

It takes a lot of keystrokes. Seems like choice of gun and velocity range could stay set until changed. I don't need to see a diagram of where to hold the gun every time I start a new string. That seemed not to matter anyhow; it registered the same whether I shot over or beside the unit.

Archer1440
12-31-2023, 10:52 PM
Con: It picked up many shots from the next lane at the rental range although others say theirs did not. Shots from down the line would sometimes make it flicker but not record a velocity. I got about half my shooting done before the next lane was occupied. I am going to try slanting it a few degrees away from the next lane and see if that helps. Otherwise, I will have to go in at slack hours.

It takes a lot of keystrokes. Seems like choice of gun and velocity range could stay set until changed. I don't need to see a diagram of where to hold the gun every time I start a new string. That seemed not to matter anyhow; it registered the same whether I shot over or beside the unit.

1. Yes, it will occasionally detect- and in my experience, properly reject- such shots. I've never had it pick up and display a shot from an adjacent lane, but it has detected several. However, my indoor range is set up as 15 individual 25 yard "suites"- rather than open lanes with open dividers, you shoot from a closed individual room with ballistic panel walls into the open range itself. So this means there is at least 5-7 feet to the next gun over, worst case. If it were half of that, as in many "glass divider" ranges, I could see it being an issue. It's quite easy to delete or ignore stray shots that do get recorded, in the app.

2. I understand your point about the repetitive keys of new session setups. You can reduce the number of keystrokes needed by adjusting the settings. You can get rid of the diagram prompt, for all times after the very first time you use a specific mode- page 11 of the manual details this.

Jim Watson
01-01-2024, 11:27 AM
Thanks.
1. I will try to open the range with them and get my chronographing done before they fill up. Failing that, I can do my shooting while the next guy over is reloading or showing his girlfriend how to operate the gun.

2. I will look up how to bypass some of the startup clicks and default to Pistol, Lower velocity range, and don't remind me how to hold the gun.

I doubt I will get back today, I need to adjust a couple of loads and get ready for FOOTBALL.

Jim Watson
01-02-2024, 05:00 PM
I got the gun position prompt turned off and found where to manage the bullet weight prompt.
I was the first shooter at the range today and was not subject to crosstalk from the next lane.
I lost one shot by double tapping.

I found that my old iPhone 6 would run the app, but the Xero would not talk to iPad and iPhone at the same time, I had to turn one off to get the other to read. Legibility on the phone is better than I expected, I won't have to hump the iPad to the range.

I changed from energy to power factor but am not seeing power factor for the average velocity, just the individual shots. Have I missed another setting?

Ballistics were interesting. Last trip I was shooting a SA Loaded 9mm. Today a Glock 34. The only load I shot in both guns, a reload with 115 gr plated bullet, was substantially faster in the Glock, by about 70 fps. I will cut that load, it is only shot in the Glock and I do not need f 140 when f 130 is plenty of margin for Minor. Seems there really is a difference in the Glock barrel. I will try some other loads, I do not have notes on one with that much difference.

Archer1440
01-03-2024, 03:59 AM
If my experience is anything to go by, you’re going to find yourself evaluating loads and gun differences a lot more- the ease and convenience of the device is such a Great Leap Forward compared to anything else I’ve ever worked with - grabbing data is practically effortless.

Salamander
01-04-2024, 12:55 AM
First two times out with my Garmin were at the rifle range, where we have lots of room and tend to be spread well apart. Tonight was the first try at a more crowded pistol range. My experience was as reported by others above: It picked up all of my shots, none of anyone elses although it did seem to pick up and then discard a few from others. It wasn't packed tonight, the booths immediately on either side of me were empty so it was about six or seven feet between shooters with just one sheet of plywood between us.

I intentionally tested at shorter distance (12.5 yard) targets tonight and it worked fine, velocities in line with those at 25 yards last weekend with one similar load shot in both places.

Lots of curiosity from other shooters, lots of questions.

WDR
01-04-2024, 09:48 AM
Man, I really need to start stacking pennies for one of these. Or win the lottery. I hope over time the price point edges down just a little, but it sure sounds like they are worth it.

GJM
01-26-2024, 05:55 PM
Lab Radar:

https://buymylabradar.com/products/labradar-lx-new-product

Screwball
01-26-2024, 06:44 PM
Man, I really need to start stacking pennies for one of these. Or win the lottery. I hope over time the price point edges down just a little, but it sure sounds like they are worth it.

The one thing that really shocked me was the size of the Garmin. It literally is the size of a small battery alarm clock.

I picked up a rail mount and sunshade off eBay. 3D printed, but I’m just very happy with more options. Also got a hard case off there.

ccmdfd
01-26-2024, 07:12 PM
Lab Radar:

https://buymylabradar.com/products/labradar-lx-new-product

Saw that on a YouTube SHOT Show review.

Difficult to tell from the video but it might be significantly larger than the Garmin.

Not sure either what it offers over the Garmin. Especially since the Garmin is already out and shipping.

TCFD273
01-26-2024, 07:59 PM
Saw that on a YouTube SHOT Show review.

Difficult to tell from the video but it might be significantly larger than the Garmin.

Not sure either what it offers over the Garmin. Especially since the Garmin is already out and shipping.

The original lab radar offered some data over the Garmin, but the Garmin is easy mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
01-26-2024, 08:10 PM
The original lab radar offered some data over the Garmin, but the Garmin is easy mode.

Given Garmin's reputation, and my experience with the new Garmin chronograph, this product needs to be significantly less expensive or better to even be considered.

TCFD273
01-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Given Garmin's reputation, and my experience with the new Garmin chronograph, this product needs to be significantly less expensive or better to even be considered.

On Wednesday I ran my Garmin next to my 375 Cheytac checking velocities on a new barrel, moved it to an ARCA mount on my PRS gun and shot a practice stage for awhile, then walked over to a friend and set it next to their gun to help them out.

It’s never missed a shot, not one, and super easy to use

Archer1440
01-27-2024, 03:19 AM

Same price as the Garmin, appears to be ~250% bigger in volume, appears to have a peepsight indicating a narrower alignment may be needed. Very possibly too little, too late.

The literal pocket size of the Garmin, the reliability, false shot rejection yet relatively huge placement window, non-interference when multiple units are on the same line, and the fact that it’s supported by one of the most competent companies in consumer electronics makes the Labradar effort hard to swallow.

bofe954
01-27-2024, 10:58 AM
Same price as the Garmin, appears to be ~250% bigger in volume, appears to have a peepsight indicating a narrower alignment may be needed. Very possibly too little, too late.

The literal pocket size of the Garmin, the reliability, false shot rejection yet relatively huge placement window, non-interference when multiple units are on the same line, and the fact that it’s supported by one of the most competent companies in consumer electronics makes the Labradar effort hard to swallow.

You'd think the Labradar would have been a bit lower price point. You have to hand it to Labradar though, had they not proved that people would pay $600+ for a chrono that is less of a PITA to use, we wouldn't have the Garmin either.

ccmdfd
01-27-2024, 11:08 AM
You'd think the Labradar would have been a bit lower price point. You have to hand it to Labradar though, had they not proved that people would pay $600+ for a chrono that is less of a PITA to use, we wouldn't have the Garmin either.

Good point. They did prove there is a market for this kind of a thing. Of course not that surprising given the sudden uptick of popularity of things like long range shooting and such.

But yeah, in order to beat the garmin, they're going to have to do something better than it: cheaper price, smaller form factor, some form of better measurement, etc. Doesn't seem like they've done that.

37th Mass
01-27-2024, 02:30 PM
My Garmin had been backordered since mid-December, but finally came in last week. I took it to the range for the first time today. It is indeed awesome.

After years of being careful not to accidentally shoot my old Caldwell, I'm tempted to take it to the range next week and shoot it to pieces just for fun.

Super77
01-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Has anyone noticed variation in velocity reading depending on shooting angle from the Garmin? In other words, if you set uptje Garmin and shoot a target at exactly 12:00, and then one at like 12:30, do you notice a repeatable difference in velocity?

CS Tactical
02-02-2024, 11:20 AM
Add me Richard as the Sales Rep and get P-F pricing :) https://cstactical.com/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/

flyrodr
02-05-2024, 08:38 PM
Just got my new Garmin (yes, late to the show). Made a quick shakedown trip to the local indoor range. Figured it would be somewhat of a tough test, as the shooting positions are reasonably close, and are separated by netting rather than hard walls. A loud range.

Took along my .22LR and my 6.5 Creedmoor. Started with the .22 and, per directions, placed the unit 5-15 inches behind the muzzle and that same distance from the side of the rifle. Had shooters on either side with centerfire bolt guns, i.e., loud. Ran a 10-round mag through the gun, and the Garmin never missed a shot, nor added one when either of the neighbors' guns fired.

Decided to really challenge the Xero, so screwed my suppressor onto the .22. Still never missed a shot, or added a stray. As somewhat of an indication of how quiet the suppressed .22 was, the RSO told me as I was packing up that he heard some "splats" as I was shooting (and in between the other shooters), anf finally figured out they were the .22s hitting the paper target and cardboard backing. I'm not altogether sure I believe that (my hearing is not good), but have know the guy a good while and he's always been totally honest.

The tightest 10-shot group, numbers wise, was with Lapua Extra Long Range, with an average velocity of 1089fps, and a standard deviation of 3.0fps (a range of 1084.8 - 1094.6 fps). Pretty scary consistent.

For grins, I ran three rounds of Hornady 140 gr ELD-M through the 6.5CM. Average velocity was 2530fps in a 21-inch barrel. Anti-climactic at that point.

Bottom line, and I'm far from a chrono guru, this is an amazing little unit. Tiny, well-designed, simple to understand and use (even by old fart standards). No wires, no connections. Just set it beside rifle, turn it on, and have at it. Next outing will be to pistol range and we'll see how it does surrounded by a near-dozen shooters with everything from .22s to various hand cannons, firing at a much more frenetic pace.

Extremely happy so far.

Crazy Dane
02-13-2024, 04:21 PM
Just got mine in, paired and charging. I've read the instructions and got a question. I do/did my pistol testing standing, how high over this thig can you be? If I set it on a 5 gallon bucket will that be high enough or do I need to find something else?

I'm happy to see air gun listed in the list on start up. I guess shotgun will be "other". I'm gonna be busy with this thing for a while playing catch up. Since I shot my Crono a while back, I've loaded several different loads and just relied on book velocity.

BN
02-13-2024, 07:47 PM
Just got mine in, paired and charging. I've read the instructions and got a question. I do/did my pistol testing standing, how high over this thig can you be? If I set it on a 5 gallon bucket will that be high enough or do I need to find something else?

I just use a cheap tripod from Amazon when shooting handguns. I haven't tried anything else. I use the short tripod that was included when shooting rifles from the bench.

psalms144.1
02-26-2024, 08:45 PM
A fellow on the range with me this morning had one of these while he was load testing rounds for his 6.5CM. Very neat piece of technology, if it wasn't $600, I might not be able to resist owning one just because.

Interestingly, after he was done, he let me play around with it. Only things I had with me were a 9mm PCC, my 4.25" Prodigy, and my P365XL, so I shot five rounds through each using my slowly diminishing stockpile of A260 147gr JHP. What surprised me is the average velocity loss from the 16" PCC to the Prodigy was only 7 FPS, clearly there's a lot of wasted space in a 16" 9mm barrel...