PDA

View Full Version : Trouble logging in, DoS?

Dov
10-14-2023, 10:47 AM
Looking for some Admin help.

Couldn’t log in today from any machine connected to home router.

Using phone now via cellular data so different IP than I’ve ever used.

Every time I try from home it claims I’ve tried to many times and was limiting my attempts to once every 15 minutes.

Additional it kept saying wrong username or password which makes no sense since I use password manager with auto fill.

So I did password reset and it still gave that error message.

I sent email to admin via blind email on forum help page.

Response just said someone had been trying to login to my account with incorrect password at least 5 times and had been restricted to one attempt per 15 minutes.

And that IP for those attempts was 66.248.200.2 which Whois gives as California. Which makes no sense I’m in midwest and my IP isn’t even close to that range.

All my hardware and firmware is fully patched, though router hasn’t had firmware update in ~year.

Logs on router showed some DoS attacks but didn’t see the IP address I got emailed above.

Wondering if this might be some type of DoS tied to Hebrew name I use here?

No problems with any other accounts.

Main machine I use here is 2018 Mac Mini w Firefox, I do almost nothing besides PF on that browser on that machine.

Little bit of lurking on 24hourcampfire but don’t have account there, some googling.

Also tested and had same problem with iPad Mini as with Mac.

I don’t understand why password was failing, especially since was able to log in with new reset password via phone and mobile data.

Admins welcome to respond via my email associated with this account, haven’t seen anything odd on that email account.

Erick Gelhaus
10-14-2023, 11:10 AM
Agreed; issues logging in over the past few days, inability to upload photos, getting blocked IP messages, etc.

hufnagel
10-14-2023, 11:21 AM
I know brazil has been all up my DNS ass the past week or so, so maybe PF's host is getting hosed as well?
170.254.192.0/22
shitty part is, while I have that 'net blocked by the master blacklist, it's not getting caught by the DNS attack filter, since they're rotating through ALL of the IPs in that 'net. which means if I turn logging on to monitor the blacklist, it gets flooded to all hell.

also a DNS attack sourced at Level3.net it looks like, but not nearly as bad as the brazil one.

Dov
10-14-2023, 01:52 PM
Hey its working from home router & machines now!

I saw LittleLebowski post about PF being on the new server today.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?58508-Strange-issues-with-photo-uploads

Hope the mods get some sleep this weekend despite the headaches.

Guerrero
10-15-2023, 08:23 AM
I had the same issue, being "locked out" with that same error message. Only now was able to log back in.

gtmtnbiker98
10-15-2023, 08:27 AM
I had trouble yesterday and restarted my iPhone 14 and was able to login.

BehindBlueI's
10-15-2023, 10:35 AM
I can't upload photos and had to futz around with getting my password accepted to do mod stuff (clean up classifieds). No idea what the issue is. Hopefully LL is on it.

Guerrero
10-20-2023, 08:06 AM
I've been locked out for five days. Every time I tried to log in, I got the "too many failed login attempts, wait 15 minutes and try again" message. Still can't log in on my phone.

LittleLebowski

Guerrero
10-20-2023, 10:05 AM
Finally able to log in on my phone, too.

Lessons learned: if people say they're having issues logging in, don't say to yourself, "I wonder if I will, too" and log out.

Dov
10-20-2023, 10:30 AM
I've been locked out for five days. Every time I tried to log in, I got the "too many failed login attempts, wait 15 minutes and try again" message. Still can't log in on my phone.

LittleLebowski

Yeah I've been locked out again for 4-5 days, with exactly same "too many failed login attempts" as you just finally able to log back in.

Think part of issue based on some of the errors I was getting yesterday is that firewall app didn't have its IP whitelisted https://docs.sucuri.net/website-firewall/sucuri-firewall-troubleshooting-guide/

I was getting 502 errors yesterday and per that link above:

"502 Errors
These will be Sucuri branded and are normally caused by a firewall on the hosting server blocking the WAF IPs. Check our IP ranges:

192.88.134.0/23
185.93.228.0/22
66.248.200.0/22
2a02:fe80::/29
208.109.0.0/22"

Email I got when submitted email to blind submission on PF about problem said "person trying to log into your account had the following IP address 66.248.200.2"

Guerrero
10-20-2023, 11:03 AM
Email I got when submitted email to blind submission on PF about problem said "person trying to log into your account had the following IP address 66.248.200.2"

I got that same one, with the same IP address.

Dov
10-21-2023, 04:42 PM
I got that same one, with the same IP address.

I was locked out again yesterday evening till afternoon today :-/

Guerrero
10-24-2023, 07:08 AM
It's happening again to me: can't log in with my laptop. Same "too many unsuccessful logins, wait 15 minutes" message.

I'm going to be smart(-er) this time and stay logged in on my phone.

Dov
10-27-2023, 07:12 PM
LittleLebowski

Was locked out by this again for last 2-3 days, finally got logged in again though don't know if it will work tomorrow :(

LittleLebowski
10-27-2023, 07:18 PM
Folks, working on it. I swear it.

CCT125US
10-27-2023, 07:20 PM
I've been taking random breaks from the internet this month. Typically involves logging out of P-F. I've found myself wanting to reply to a certain post, and then being unable to log in. Requested password reset, never received email. Finally able to log in via iPad, and then Android. Not logging out now that there are known issues. That means y'all get to here more from me.

blues
10-27-2023, 07:20 PM
Folks, working on it. I swear it.

He is. I was texting with him during the downtime.

Dov
10-28-2023, 05:47 AM
Thanks LittleLebowski, appreciate the work you do here.

Just wasn't sure if you were aware of this specific issue with all the headaches with the server migration.

On a lighter note, have you tried summoning an Archangel to get Satan out of the system? https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=1#1997-08-27

BehindBlueI's
10-28-2023, 10:48 AM
I've not been able to log in for several days, though I have only tried sporadically as work has been real worky. I reset my pw and was able to get in today.

Dov
11-02-2023, 04:36 AM
LittleLebowski

Things seems to be working good for last 2-3 days, just thought you could use the positive feedback.

Works been crazy so haven't been logging in as much as usual but every time I have logged in over last three days it worked first time with no bobbles.

Basher
11-03-2023, 12:52 PM
I, too, had issues with getting stuck in a "login loop" for awhile, but it's been good to go for the past week or so without issue. Big thanks to BehindBlueI's for the contact/assist elsewhere, and to LL and other mods/admins for getting it fixed!