PDA

View Full Version : Trade In Gen3 19s

JV_
03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
How frequently do Glock 19 (Gen3) trade ins pop up in the used market?

JDM
03-29-2011, 08:23 PM
There is usually 1 maybe 2 in the case at the shop I frequent, Every time I'm there (About twice a month). This is in Albuquerque. So fairly regularly.

That is, if I wanted one today, there is a real good chance I could get one at the first shop I go to.

JV_
03-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Sorry - I should have clarified. I was referring to LE trade in guns.

JDM
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Ah. I've never seen one that I specifically knew to be ex LE issue. Never seen a large quantity either.

That said, I do not know who handles law enforcement sales locally, so there is chance I've never been to the shop where I would have seen this. Sorry sir.

VolGrad
03-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Down here in the Dirty South most LE agencies carry .40 GLOCKs so all I see at my local cop shops are G23s and/or G22s ..... a slim few G27s.

I have personally never seen a known LE trade-in 9mm GLOCK. I see very few used ones in the shops either. Most seem to be sold in the private market.

Kyle Reese
03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Few & far between in the stores, and are often quickly sold.

SLG
03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Anyone want to trade a BNIB P30 for a BNIB gen 3 G19?:p

F-Trooper05
03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Anyone want to trade a BNIB P30 for a BNIB gen 3 G19?:p

I have a V3 P30 with less than 2K through it that I'm looking to trade for a OD green G19.

VolGrad
03-30-2011, 06:37 AM
I have a V3 P30 with less than 2K through it that I'm looking to trade for a OD green G19.

That's funny. I'm looking for an OD Gen3 G19 myself. Trying to find a participating GSSF/Armorer dealer that has one in stock. If anyone knows of one please PM me. Thanks.

SLG
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I was half joking, but as an aside, I would stay away from the colored Glock frames. The process Glock uses (unless that has changed in the last year or so) weakens the frame.

VolGrad
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
I was half joking, but as an aside, I would stay away from the colored Glock frames. The process Glock uses (unless that has changed in the last year or so) weakens the frame.

Interesting. I have owned a couple of OD frame GLOCKs but admittedly none have been high round count guns. I currently own 2 ... a G17 and a G34. Neither of them has high round count either but the G34 will eventually. It's my IDPA gun and I also use it in GSSF matches.

Can you discuss "the process" in any more detail? I am interested.

Jason
03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Most of the police trade-ins will be in .40 S&W. It is about the time these guns are past their "service life" according to many departments. I think allot are sold back to glock in trade for newer glock 40s. I think right at the time most departments were adopting glocks they were being heavily sold on the 40 cal so that is what they are trading back. I have never encounterd a federal, state, or local agency that has had 9mm glocks in recent memory to trade in. Not saying they dont exist, but they would be rare as a LE trade-in. That said, all three glocks I have were purchased used (1 two pin gen 3 G19, 1 three pin gen 3 G19 and a G 26) two of which still had the copper grease stuff still on them. All have worked well except that time at the course two weeks ago when you saw a light primer strike on a hard primered Geco round. Upon dissasembly, I found pieces of metal and lube that had worked themselves into the sear channel. Once cleaned, the malfunction has not reoccurred. My dad's glock 23, also purchased used in similar fashion is also trouble free. Based on my experience, I would say purchasing a used glock that has not been screwed with by a previous owner (ie in stock condition) is a relatively safe bet. Any suspect parts are easily and cheaply replaced.

JV_
03-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Upon dissasembly, I found pieces of metal and lube that had worked themselves into the sear channel. Once cleaned, the malfunction has not reoccurred.

I've found that storing my guns up-side-down and muzzle canted up, which is how my pistol rack works, causes excess oil to pool against the slide backplate ... which is how it gets in to the striker channel. I'm not one to use too much lube either!

I use Enos Slide Glide now ... and don't have to worry about seepage.

YVK
03-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Interesting. I have owned a couple of OD frame GLOCKs but admittedly none have been high round count guns. I currently own 2 ... a G17 and a G34. Neither of them has high round count either but the G34 will eventually. It's my IDPA gun and I also use it in GSSF matches.

Can you discuss "the process" in any more detail? I am interested.

Don't know anything about Glock's process, but I've heard the same statement about another firearm related polymer product - Magpul PMags. A training outfit that sees more than average round count and gear issues recommends to stick with black PMags over colored ones.

F-Trooper05
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Interesting. Oh well, I'm looking for one as a wedding gift to my soon to be brother in-law. He's a civilian whose idea of a high round count is 50 rounds per year.

LittleLebowski
03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Watch this site religiously, JV.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

VolGrad
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM

Mark is a good guy. I got a Gen2 G19 from him a while back. Wishing I had it now in place of my Gen4. :(

Just note the price is a cash/MO price. If you pay with a CC there is a % surcharge. It's in the fine print .... if you read it. If you don't it will be a surprise, esp if you have already "confirmed" the total without that fee. I'm not mad though. I'd buy from him again without hesitation.

LOKNLOD
03-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Another plus 1 for Mark, he is also the one who helped me track down my OD G34 at a great price, for those of you hunting OD frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHC
03-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Interesting. Oh well, I'm looking for one as a wedding gift to my soon to be brother in-law. He's a civilian whose idea of a high round count is 50 rounds per year.

Do NOT worry about it. I've got an OD G17 with several thousands rounds and have had friends run them much harder than that with only goodness. Don't sweat the incremental BS that'll only count on a mult-year deployment to Mars.

Pennzoil
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Scottsdale Gun Club had some glock 19/26 LE trade in's last year off and on for around $340-350. I picked up a 19&26 but wish I had gotten at least 1 more of each like my buddy. One of his 26's was less then a year old according to the serial number and honestly looks like it's never been fired complete with copper grease still intact.