PDA

View Full Version : Glock safe for AIWB?

flux
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi guys,great forum. I have a question,regarding appendix carry. I read an article on an AR15 forum where it was stated that appendix carry with a glock should be avoided. However here I see plenty guys carrying in that position. Is it due to good holsters being used and training to prevent fingers going where they shouldn't ? I have a kydex holster for iwb,will this be okay? Safe? Please advise.

Kyle Reese
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Here's a thread you might be interested in. (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2479-Is-AIWB-truly-quot-for-experts-only-quot&highlight=AIWB+carry)

Carry of a handgun is an inherently dangerous and potentially lethal activity.

This is true for AIWB. Proper holster selection, training and absolute attention to detail when drawing and reholstering are paramount if you choose this method of carry. A single lapse of judgement can result in a lethal injury (handgun discharging IVO the femoral artery / groin area).

I've carried a striker fired handguns AIWB both CONUS and OCONUS.

Carrying a handgun AIWB is NOT something to be taken lightly. It requires more diligence, attention to detail and training than simply slapping a Glock in a generic kydex holster on one's hip and heading out for the day.

It is not the best method for inexperienced or novice shooters to employ (and I know that sounds arrogant, but it's true).

If you have not done so, I strongly suggest you attend a formal firearms class from a reputable industry professional.

It is up to the individual to decide if the risks are worth the benefits.

bassmcqueen
11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I've been carrying a Glock 19 AIWB in either a Kydex or Leather holster for over a year without any issues.

Jac
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
*Mechanically*, a Glock is perfectly safe to carry AIWB if you've got a good holster that covers the trigger.

*Practically*, the relatively short and light trigger on a Glock, combined with no external hammer, gives you very little feedback if the trigger becomes depressed during administrative handling of the gun. It's not the carrying, but the holstering, drawing, adjusting, etc., that makes AIWB with a striker-fired handgun less safe than with others.

Ultimately, though, it depends on a given individual's own comfort levels and safety mindset; I prefer AIWB from a comfort, concealment and speed standpoint, but will not carry my Glock that way until I can get a Gadget.

Dagga Boy
11-01-2012, 01:01 PM
In a good holster the Glock is perfectly safe for AIWB. The question is are you safe to AIWB a Glock (or anything else)? When you AIWB a Glock you better be "swtiched on" at all times. Most folks aren't cabable of maintaining that switched on mindset all the time. For those who can, this is a solid option. For those who are depending on a "gadget", I would question if you are really of the right mindset. A hammer or gadget is a simple additional means to confirm what you should already know.

flux
11-01-2012, 01:06 PM
So mechanically speaking the Glock is perfectly safe. It won't ever just randomly discharge. Its the user /holster that could cause it? Am I correct in saying that. The trigger HAS to be pulled. So I need to work on training then..

Kyle Reese
11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
In a good holster the Glock is perfectly safe for AIWB. The question is are you safe to AIWB a Glock (or anything else)? When you AIWB a Glock you better be "swtiched on" at all times. Most folks aren't cabable of maintaining that switched on mindset all the time. For those who can, this is a solid option. For those who are depending on a "gadget", I would question if you are really of the right mindset. A hammer or gadget is a simple additional means to confirm what you should already know.

Concur. I've seen quite a few people on the range in VA who were carrying AIWB and holstering their weapons in a cavalier manner. Made me real nervous.

ToddG
11-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd also concur that mechanically speaking, the Glock is as safe as any modern gun for aiwb. It won't discharge on its own.

However, the Glock lacks a means of preventing an accidental discharge during the holster process. Whether it's your finger, a jacket tie, belt extension, or anything else that gets inside the trigger guard, when the gun goes off it's all the same. There's no second chance because you thought you were being careful. You can't yell "doesn't count!" just because it was your undershirt that got caught.

I know plenty of folks, myself included, who've carried striker fired guns aiwb. Many of them, myself included, upon trying a hammer fired gun or a gun with a positive manual safety have decided that the extra protection such guns provide against human error are extremely worthwhile. I would have a very difficult time going back to aiwb with a striker fired pistol unless it had some kind of safety to prevent an accident while holstering (whether that be a manual safety such as on an M&P or, obviously, the Gadget).

flux
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.At this stage sadly I can't have any other gun so I have to stick with the glock. However,I read up on the gadget in the other thread. Excellent concept,I didn't read the whole thread,when will this be available?

TCinVA
11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I believe I did that write up. I advised against using AIWB carry for pistols like the Glock primarily because of the danger when reholstering...something we've discussed at length here on PF.

Like Nyeti said, there's a razor thin margin of error with that combination.

Once the pistol is safely in the holster it's not likely to go off of its own accord. It's that moment where you're pressing the pistol into the holster that presents the biggest danger.

Desmond82
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Could someone direct or tell me the status of the gadget? I can not recall seeing that thread pop up lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orionz06
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
We are making progress with the Gadget. I'll have a bunch of preproduction samples in hand early next week that we will be distributing for more wide scale testing.

I still can't forecast when they will be available commercially, but progress in being made.

Me likey.

Savage Hands
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Me likey.

Same here :cool:

Desmond82
11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
We are making progress with the Gadget. I'll have a bunch of preproduction samples in hand early next week that we will be distributing for more wide scale testing.

I still can't forecast when they will be available commercially, but progress in being made.

Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YVK
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I still can't forecast when they will be available commercially.

If I ever learned to shoot LEM to my satisfaction, you, and Todd, and Soon™ would be solely responsible for that...

flux
11-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm ordering a AIWB specific holster. And will attend a class/classes. I use to always be very careful reholstering with my crossbreed supertuck,I'll be even more careful AIWB.

DocGKR
11-02-2012, 12:59 PM
As noted previously, I started out using AIWB carry nearly 25 years ago when faced with the need to carry a service pistol (at various times in my military career a 1911, M9, or Sig P226/228) while wearing the Navy Service Dress Blue uniform--since the jacket is a double breasted type that could not be left unbuttoned, AIWB was the only option to allow easy access to the pistol. It also worked well with BDU/DCU uniforms when not wanting to appear armed, for example on MEDCAP's.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7355&filename=GKR%20AIWB%201911%20DCU.jpg

Lou Alessi made us some holsters (APX-IWB), as shown in the photo, with a slight reverse FBI cant that worked very well for this option--the only potential downside of the Alessi holster was the plastic "Talon" clip that secured it to the belt--although to be honest none ever broke or caused any problems for us.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7353&filename=Alessi%20APX-IWB.jpg

Likewise I have used AIWB for over a decade in the LE and civilian world, to carry 1911's, G19's, and most recently M&P45's w/ambi-safeties. During a recent Independence Day celebration, a couple of friends from the PD were teasing me about my uncharacteristically running around unarmed in just a hippie-cam T-shirt and shorts, as shown in the photo below--not realizing I was carrying a 5" 1911 AIWB in an Alessi holster, along with a couple of extra mags...

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7354&filename=GKR%20AIWB%201911.JPG

I currently primarily use the superb Fricke Seraphim holster to carry an M&P or Glock AIWB/IWB each day strong side in the 1-3 o'clock range.

Note that the pistols I have most frequently carried AIWB--1911's, Glocks, and M&P's are either striker fired or cocked and locked. There are NO problems if appropriate care and prudence is exercised while slowly re-holstering along with simultaneously tilting the holster AWAY from all critical anatomic areas that could be perforated or damage if the pistol inadvertently discharges. Much like other endeavors requiring error free performance such as flying, deep scuba diving, rock climbing, and performing surgery--DON'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES when doing this!

flux
01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Note that the pistols I have most frequently carried AIWB--1911's, Glocks, and M&P's are either striker fired or cocked and locked. There are NO problems if appropriate care and prudence is exercised while slowly re-holstering along with simultaneously tilting the holster AWAY from all critical anatomic areas that could be perforated or damage if the pistol inadvertently discharges. Much like other endeavors requiring error free performance such as flying, deep scuba diving, rock climbing, and performing surgery--DON'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES when doing this![/b]

I read this post again today,brilliant ,didn't reply the last time,thanks.