PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Novice with questions about cleaning

Blackpowder
11-01-2012, 05:44 AM
Hi All - just wanted to know what you would suggest for cleaning a S&W 40 M&P. My father recently purchased one and having not owned a handgun since he left the AF in 77, I wanted to give him something for Christmas that would have all the tools he needs. I've covered the bases on eye and ear protection as well as a good supply of rounds and range time/classes, just need to find the right supplies for cleaning. I saw some talk of froglube and the appropriate tools, but since a friend put together my cleaning kit who knew way more than me, I thought I'd come to the experts. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thank you!

JV_
11-01-2012, 06:06 AM
I would get the following:

M-Pro7 Cleaning Solvent (non-toxic and doesn't stink)
Bore Brush
Old Toothbrush
Patches
Lube

Don't get worked up or spend a lot of money on lubes. Some people send a ton of money finding their "favorite" lube, and they get a bit OCD about it. Just find something that stays put (doesn't burn or run off) and is readily available. I bought a tub of Lubriplate (http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/lubriplate-130-a-mil-spec-grease-prod6525.aspx)from Brownells. I doubt I'll need another tub of lube for my lifetime. I keep a small bottle of lube in my range bag too, I think it's MC2500 (http://www.nraguncare.com/mc2500/mc2500-lubricating-gun-oil) - I had it on hand so I threw it in my bag.

FWIW: My hobby is shooting and training, not cleaning and lubing my guns.

Blackpowder
11-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure a) i didn't go over the top and b) he had everything he needed. Appreciate the help!

JV_
11-01-2012, 07:26 AM
A big box of Q-Tips would be handy too.

MDS
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
The more i shoot, the more i depend in shop rags for cleaning. Field strip, apply solvent, wipe with rag, reassemble. Watch tv until wife reminds me to wash hands. ;)

JConn
11-01-2012, 09:47 AM
The more i shoot, the more i depend in shop rags for cleaning. Field strip, apply solvent, wipe with rag, reassemble. Watch tv until wife reminds me to wash hands. ;)

This, I used to be compulsive about cleaning my guns. I have no idea the last time my gun has been actually cleaned.

JBP55
11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Bore brush and cleaning rod.
Cotton squares sized for caliber.
Old t shirt cut into cleaning size.
Old cotton socks work as well.
Tooth brush.
Dental picks.
Q tips.
Weaponshield CLP.

Optional: Mobil 1 20W50 lubricant.

LittleLebowski
11-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Walk outside, spray out with non chlorinated brake cleaner, punch bore if needed, re-lube, done.

orionz06
11-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Walk outside, spray with non chlorinated brake cleaner or carb cleaner, dry, spray with air inside, spray with Amsoil MP, wipe, add lube. Repeat once a year.

Jhp147
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
You can definitely put together a better kit than the preassembled ones, putting some thought into it makes it a nice gift. MPro7 cleaner as noted above. One of the nice pistol cleaning rods with the aluminum handles-can't think of the brand but there are probably a couple, along with brush and slotted tip. I like Southern Bloomer brand patches better than any brand, I get them at Academy. They don't stretch out like tee shirt cloth. I don't like the carpal pain I get from cutting up tee shirts so old tee shirts become cleaning rags. A roll up cleaning mat is nice, can protect the furniture and makes the wife happy. Q-tip brand swabs hold together better than the cheap ones...my experience. I prefer Weapon Shield for lube, everybody has a favorite though. A can of plastic safe aerosol gun cleaner...but I do go cheap here and buy brake cleaner. You can give your dad an old tooth brush if you want but he may want to use his own...oh yeah, pitch in some bamboo cooking skewers to scrape without scratching around the breech face and other nooks and crannies. Most useful, find some kind of tackle box or plastic box that fits it all at Home Depot or wherever.
But that is just my version....