PDA

View Full Version : What EDC flashlight

DamonL
09-27-2023, 12:42 AM
What are people carrying for an EDC flashlight? I don’t have one and I am looking for ideas.

jnc36rcpd
09-27-2023, 01:28 AM
I usually carry a Powertac E9G4. It allows various lumen levels going out to 2000+. I have no way of measuring that, but it seems accurate. The lumen adjustment mode is pretty solid so you're unlikely to get low or strobe when you need high. It has a strike bezel which could be harsh on clothing. Moreover, I'm not sure cutting someone you need to bap...uh, excuse me, use reasonable force upon...is a great idea for either a LEO or CCW. Supposedly the strike bezel can be removed, but I've never been able to figure it out. Overall, I'd recommend this light if you can carry it.

Streamlight also offers a variety of lights great for EDC .If you want variable light output (the debate on that is best reserved for another thread), they are not as convenient as Powertac and you can unexpectedly get strobe on many when you don't want to do so. That is a training issue, but it's still an issue. That said, you can find whatever light capability you want.

I don't know how much money you spend on guns, but up your credit limit is you dive deep into the flashlight world.

Robb0
09-27-2023, 04:30 AM
What are people carrying for an EDC flashlight? I don’t have one and I am looking for ideas.

Currently using Streamlight Wedge 300. 300 lumens is more than enough and it's really compact. Battery life is okay-ish, they state it's 3h of non-stop work. Enough for me personally, but not for everyone I'd say

NH Shooter
09-27-2023, 04:40 AM

It really depends on its intended use (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/100222edclb/). A light that is perfect for finding dropped keys could be really deficient for self defense use (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/090922edclb/).

These are the two lights I carry: the first photo below is my single mode, momentary-only, high-candela light configured specifically for use with the Rogers-Surefire technique (https://surefire.news/surefire-combatlight-the-solution-to-a-handheld-with-a-handgun/) that I carry in a belt holster. The second photo is a modified (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/surefire-e2t-mv-tactcian-upgrades/) Surefire E2T-MV Tactician (https://www.surefire.com/e2t-maxvision-tactician/) that I use for general purposes (the high-low bezel switch is extraordinarily handy) and carry in a pants pocket. Both lights are compact, easy to carry and weight eight ounces combined;

https://i.ibb.co/XsSb29m/HBC-3.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Svkv5GL/e2t-mv-4.jpg

As a first dive down the EDC flashlight rabbit hole, the capable and reasonably-priced Streamlight ProTac 2L-X (https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/protac-2l-x) is a very worthy consideration (as is the ProTac 1L-1AA (https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/protac-1l-1aa));

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogFMdZmCK0

rd62
09-27-2023, 05:37 AM
I've been carrying a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA for years and am very please with its balance of performance, size, and price.

BobM
09-27-2023, 05:52 AM
I carry SureFire Stilleto Pro. I like the multiple light levels, the switching, and especially the flat form factor. I also keep a Streamlight 1L-1AA in the truck in case I leave the house without a pocketable light.

BillSWPA
09-27-2023, 05:58 AM
If the light is pocket carried, it is from EDC Light Builder, using a Malkoff Boryguard V2 head and Lumens Factory body and switch, powered by a protected 18350.

If I am belt carrying the light, it is also a configuration available from EDC Light Builder, using a Malkoff E2 Hyper Throw head, and Lumens Factory body and switch, using a protected 16650.

Malkoff Devices makes some of the most dependable lights I have ever used. EDC Light Builder configured these heads in a way that takes the setup up a level.

At the other end of the price spectrum, Streamlight makes good lights. I take a 1L-AA dual fuel light with me as a backup light when I travel. It is programmed for high mode only. I run the light on a single CR123, but the light can also run on a single AA at a lower power level. This is really useful if you must obtain a new battery while traveling.

fatdog
09-27-2023, 06:13 AM
I live in a very rural area. Street lights don't exist, at least the close ones would be 4-5 miles away. So having a light handy most of the year is mandatory for simple every day reasons. My always in the pocket, all the time light is this Martac (https://countycomm.com/collections/aaa-flashlights/products/aaax2-extreme-glow-tactical-light-by-maratac-rev) that I love because of the utility of those multi-levels it toggles and it is easy to feed with rechargeable AAA's which I rotate every week. Dress slacks, cargo pants, jeans, cargo shorts, it is always in my left pocket, every day. It would not be my first choice as a "tactical light" but it is always there, unobtrusive, and has been reliable for about 3 years now.

Attached to my key chain and more frequently in my hand is a Klarus XT1c (https://www.ebay.com/itm/394662584283?epid=17024741003&hash=item5be3b91fdb:g:IvwAAOSwcZRkfZ8B&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Dpkh3X9FkGFfnj0d3h2bppAYmuVz R%2FeIW6%2FTt38dYrlQxhe%2FnEHJRz%2BgL0liU0RpV6abAt sYpnZm8HsFHiVE9%2FaRPfYJaOLpg6xWWVkL8%2FXfGcnM%2F% 2BizAsSbvPQ818xCpyrihLS1vJB3E3J616DxdXi%2BHvRVTAna 6VH1ysvzJ7pKVdvvKd2g71vTXhZn0wJ4mPHQ0WXfZxcGMAkvPN sJ6I4SpOxf1SVQKnFOCLUClVuBMf8Hwx5LXprEbzL1O1HtB7xM aPYQ%2F6IKgd%2F1MLMKigBYOMFHppmqJUf6BX5lb9P%7Ctkp% 3ABk9SR4jtjeXaYg) that has been there about 7 years now. The black annodizing has worn off. I like the dual switch tail cap both for the instant strobe and the abilty to adjust light levels. Mine is the old version of that model and I see they have doubled the lumens ratings over the years so maybe I need to upgrade mine. I remove the stupid flapper over the second switch and just go with the rubber switch. I keep a finger ring on that light, which is also handy when you are trying to do two handed things.

APS-PF
09-27-2023, 06:30 AM
I've been carrying the Surefire EDCL1-T for the last year. I use low 98% of the time but high is just a harder push on the gas pedal switch. Streamlight 1l-1AA was my preference prior to the edcl1-t but I found having to cycle through the high/strobe to get to low annoying after a while, since I rarely use high.

NH Shooter
09-27-2023, 07:29 AM
Streamlight 1l-1AA was my preference prior to the edcl1-t but I found having to cycle through the high/strobe to get to low annoying after a while, since I rarely use high.

Likewise, I'm not a fan of having to toggle through modes via the tailcap switch.

My favorite UI is the high-low bezel switch, which is set via head rotation and can be selected before the light is activated. It is also nearly impossible to have the mode inadvertently change during operation, which is an important consideration for a defensive-use light. The E-series Surefire Tactician has this feature, as do the Malkoff MDx series of full size (1-inch diameter body) lights.

Up1911Fan
09-27-2023, 07:49 AM
I'm a big fan of the Cloud Defensive MCH series. I have several, mostly carry the 18650 version. The 18350 version is nice for shirts or smaller pockets. A Chicro or Streamlight is my low vis daytime light.

1Rangemaster
09-27-2023, 07:52 AM
Compliments to NH Shooter for mention of the Streamlights. It's(2L-X)what I've gravitated to after being issued one a few years back. I have a couple of the rechargeable batteries and run with those, and it will take 123s in a pinch. A smaller alternative would be the single cell, which also will take a AA, as mentioned earlier.
I do admire your builds too!

Trigger
09-27-2023, 07:53 AM
Quark MkIII. Hi lo switch, in my pocket next to my wallet. I find this place is more comfortable than next to keys or a knife in my front pocket. Size is ideal for the location, and it uses a rechargeable 16650 battery. Bright mode is bright enough and dim mode is dim enough when I need it.

APS-PF
09-27-2023, 08:50 AM
Likewise, I'm not a fan of having to toggle through modes via the tailcap switch.

My favorite UI is the high-low bezel switch, which is set via head rotation and can be selected before the light is activated. It is also nearly impossible to have the mode inadvertently change during operation, which is an important consideration for a defensive-use light. The E-series Surefire Tactician has this feature, as do the Malkoff MDx series of full size (1-inch diameter body) lights.

I have a Tactician and carried it for a while. What I didn't like about it is having to remember to tighten the head after use which I forgot a few times. Also, it's really a two handed light since I rarely ever use full power. Need to check the clothes dryer? Pull out light, two hands to go to Low, check dryer, two hands to put it back in High. What a pain. Different admin light? Yet another thing to carry around.
How would the mode on the EDCL1T change during operation? If I was in High, and pressure on the switch relaxed pushing harder would give me full power again. Isn't that less of a downside than pulling out your Tactician, needing full power and finding it in low and needing two hands to go back to high?

DamonL
09-27-2023, 08:53 AM
The last time I tried to carry a flashlight regularly, it was a Surefire G2 and it was too large as an EDC unless worn on the belt. I like the idea of the Streamlight Protac lights to try for regular carry. I may go that route. A slim light like the Maratac or Stiletto is appealing, too. My use would be to carry at night to be able to work with a pistol if needed, but more likely for finding things in the dark. Non-professional user. I think 300 to 500 lumen would be plenty and rechargeable might not be needed since I don't run my flashlights a lot.

BillSWPA
09-27-2023, 10:18 AM
In addition to may main EDC light, I sometimes carry one of these on my keychain:

https://countycomm.com/collections/pocket-lights/products/peanut-beast-led-flashlight-kit

This light packs a ton of output in a small package, at a cost of battery life. Plan on having to check your cell charge frequently. I keep the tailcap rotated about 1/3 turn loose in order to avoid draining the tiny battery when the light is off, whcih will happen through the electronic switch.

It is a nice utility light which I keep set to come on in low with the first press of the button. I can also get moonlight mode or turbo very easily if needed.

It is not a good tactical light, but it is a very good secondary/utility light that provides a very wide range of capabilities if one is willing to deal with the limitations of 10180 Li-Ion unprotected cells (protection is built into the light).

NH Shooter
09-27-2023, 10:27 AM
I have a Tactician and carried it for a while. What I didn't like about it is having to remember to tighten the head after use which I forgot a few times. Also, it's really a two handed light since I rarely ever use full power. Need to check the clothes dryer? Pull out light, two hands to go to Low, check dryer, two hands to put it back in High. What a pain. Different admin light? Yet another thing to carry around.
How would the mode on the EDCL1T change during operation? If I was in High, and pressure on the switch relaxed pushing harder would give me full power again. Isn't that less of a downside than pulling out your Tactician, needing full power and finding it in low and needing two hands to go back to high?

The EDCL1T (https://www.surefire.com/edcl1-t/) is a nice light! If I was going to EDC only one light for both defensive and administrative use, it would be a top choice. But since I'm a flashlight nerd, I carry two.

I leave the Tactician set on low because that is how I use it 90% of the time. The tailcap has been changed to an E2T clicky (https://www.edclightbuilder.com/store/EDCLB-E2T-Tailcaps-p518674538) so it's easy to set to constant-on (doesn't require two hands like the typical E-series twisty), which comes in handy searching the back of the pantry or looking for dog toys under the furniture. I also use a finger ring on this light for retention and for easy retrieval from the pocket where it rides. I like the wide, low-cd MaxVision beam for this use, and based on my measurements the Tactician easily achieves its rated 800 lumens, which comes in handy when I need that level of output.

My dedicated defensive light uses the Malkoff E2XTD head rated at 650 lumens and 70,000 candela, which produces an intense, piercing beam. This light uses a momentary-only tailcap, and along with the Z-style body and delrin grip ring, this light is optimized for use with the Rogers-Surefire technique. It's really a very specialized tool whereas the Tactician is more of a "jack of all trades" light.

https://i.ibb.co/tC8g9Kv/EDC092723.jpg

Guerrero
09-27-2023, 10:39 AM
I've been carrying a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA for years and am very please with its balance of performance, size, and price.

Same here. Good-enough light output, and the right size to use as an improvised impact weapon.

theJanitor
09-27-2023, 11:40 AM
I've been carrying the Surefire EDCL1-T for the last year. I use low 98% of the time but high is just a harder push on the gas pedal switch.

Yup. I've used the EDCL2-T for years now. It's the most intuitive switch system. Press lightly for a little light, or press harder for more. It doesn't get simpler than that for a dual output light. And I like that I can still carry bezel up.

RevolverRob
09-27-2023, 12:13 PM
If someone finds the perfect light, let me know. I want:

High Candela (35k+)
High Color Rendering (90-95+)
Enough Lumens (900-1500)
TWO modes - ALL THE LIGHT and 10% of the light accessible via some kind of positive lockout/lock-in
18650 or 18350 compatible.

This light doesn't currently exist.

Default.mp3
09-27-2023, 12:41 PM
If someone finds the perfect light, let me know. I want:

High Candela (35k+)
High Color Rendering (90-95+)
Enough Lumens (900-1500)
TWO modes - ALL THE LIGHT and 10% of the light accessible via some kind of positive lockout/lock-in
18650 or 18350 compatible.

This light doesn't currently exist.Maybe the Emisar D4V2 using an Nichia 519A?

The Weltool T19 will be a bit short on the candela, but is still pretty decent at ~27k.

WobblyPossum
09-27-2023, 03:10 PM
I’ve been carrying a Klarus XT2C for the last decade or so. My first one lasted 4-5 years until the rubber on the button tore. The cost of a replacement tail cap would have been about half the cost of a new light so I just bought a new one. The second one is still going strong and has been for the last 5 years or so. I like the settings and the user interface of having a primary button in the center of the tailcap and a secondary/mode button next to it. Click the main tailcap button and you get all the lumens. For a light that might be used for defensive/duty applications, I want the first activation to be all the lumens. If you’re doing something administrative or just trying to find something you accidentally knocked off your desk, hit the mode button and the light gets dimmer. Hit it a second time, and the light gets dimmer still. The third click of the mode button cycles you back to all the lumens. Just hitting the mode button when the light is off activates a strobe mode which I could do without but I’ve never accidentally activated the strobe when I wanted constant on.

Uses 18650 batteries. I think the newer versions have an additional brightness mode below the all the lumens mode. They’re also plugin rechargeable.

DMF13
09-27-2023, 04:45 PM
Fenix PD35 v3.

1700 lumens
31900 Mandela
$80

Pnut
09-27-2023, 06:28 PM
For EDC uses, I’ve been really sold on the flat body style flashlights, particularly the OLight Arkfield. The flat body allows it to be carried in the pocket like a pocket knife… no more round bulges like a traditional light. I know Surefire and Streamlight have flat bodied lights, but I haven had a chance to try them out.

DamonL
09-27-2023, 06:46 PM
I want to try the flat lights but the switching on many of them are on the side. Not what I am use to.

Pnut
09-27-2023, 09:11 PM
I got the Arkfield to dip my toes in the flat light world. Hopefully the design style catches on and more companies jump on and more innovations and options become available.

The only drawbacks I can see with the flat design is the use of proprietary batteries. The Arkfield’s battery is sealed inside the body and can’t be accessed. If the battery goes bad, the entire light need to be replaced. I don’t know about Surefire or Streamlight’s offerings though.

RevolverRob
09-28-2023, 10:35 AM
Fenix PD35 v3.

1700 lumens
31900 Mandela
$80

CRI of about 60.

The challenge with high CRI lights is that the tint and power to get high CRI tends to result in low candela. It's a trade-off. About the best you can do is ~750-1200lumens and 30k candela to get 95+ CRI.

SCCY Marshal
09-28-2023, 11:50 AM
Streamlight Stylus Pro and it is about as big as I'm willing to go.

DamonL
09-28-2023, 08:05 PM
There is a trade off in ease of carry with respect to size. I like the size and shape of stylus and flat flashlights which makes it easy to carry all the time. But they may not have features that are useful for self-defense. More lumens and fist-sized are better for self-defense, so I understand the question that was asked in beginning, what is the intended use. And just like everything on PF, I am now looking at expensive custom stuff that cost a lot vs good enough. 😁

BJJ
09-29-2023, 06:48 AM
I have a Pelican 2350 that I’m pretty happy with. I have to carry a flashlight for work and the 2350 is my backup. It’s listed for $42 on Amazon right now. Part of the reason I bought it is that it runs on AA batteries. It goes through batteries quicker than it would if it ran on CR123’s but AA’s are cheap and easy to find.

I have also been really happy with Streamlight’s products. I switched over to using AA battery powered lights after I was on vacation in the UK and the CR123 battery in my light died. It was $20 for a replacement battery!

PNWTO
09-29-2023, 10:59 AM
During “enigma, boardshorts, and flip flops” season it’s usually a Microstream on the body with a Stilleto Pro in the sling bag. Now that it’s getting cooler the Stilleto Pro will be in the pocket constantly.

Another shout out to the Protac 1L-1AA dual-fuel, it’s a great little thing at a good price point.

I do need to throw some money at NH Shooter.

Tannhauser
09-29-2023, 02:55 PM
CRI of about 60.

The challenge with high CRI lights is that the tint and power to get high CRI tends to result in low candela. It's a trade-off. About the best you can do is ~750-1200lumens and 30k candela to get 95+ CRI.

What is CRI? And what’s the benefit of a higher number?

Default.mp3
09-29-2023, 03:21 PM
What is CRI? And what’s the benefit of a higher number?Color Rendering Index. The higher the number, the closer the colors you'll see on the illuminated objects by your light source to match some sort of reference light source, which is typically to natural sunlight.

Navin Johnson
09-29-2023, 04:59 PM

In today’s world that’s kind of like saying I need a vehicle to drive with everybody using?

Lights are very specialized with many different features come in many different sizes, and have many different purposes.
A light that can be used as an every day light with no need for emergencies is vastly different than one that may need to be used for emergencies.

how far do you need to see? What do you need to see?

BillSWPA
09-29-2023, 07:10 PM
What is CRI? And what’s the benefit of a higher number?

White light is not actually white. It is a blend of a variety of wavelengths of light, with each wavelength being a different color. More colors present in the white light means that more colors will be seen more clearly when illuminated by the light.

Sunlight is the gold standard, with incandescent light being next. Fluorescent light is not as good.

Emitters based on LED’s are actually a blend of red, green, and blue light. They can, however, be tailored for better color rendition, often at a cost of some lumens.

Chuck Whitlock
10-01-2023, 02:11 PM

Same here. I have it backed up by a PT1L.

I'm in the process of getting my agency to issue Macrostreams to the CID personnel. I like the form factor of the new Wedge XT, but it's a lot more coin for equivalent performance with the Macrostream.

rd62
10-01-2023, 02:50 PM
I supplement my ProTac (i.e. carry in place of when I need something smaller) with a Maratac 1AAA. Not as suitable for use with a handgun (at least with my big hands) but doable in a pinch.

It's another light that for me punches above it's price point.

1911Nut
10-01-2023, 05:29 PM
Surefire E1B Backup.

I have carried it in my pocket every day for the past several years.

Technology has moved on and there are many more HSLD options available than there wete when I purchased this one.

I'm going to upgrade one of these days, but so far this light has done everything I have needed it to do, and it's ALWAYS nearby, wherever I am.

Casey
10-02-2023, 08:18 PM
First-gen Cloud Defensive MCH-HC 18650 single-output model for defensive purposes plus a Streamlight MicroStream USB for admin use. If I want a smaller light for defensive use, I switch to a Modlite OKW on a Valhalla Tactical Baldr 18350 body with deep carry clip.

ragnar_d
10-05-2023, 10:23 AM
For several years, a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X and a Pelican 1920 for an admin-type light.

Recently, I upgraded to a Cloud Defensive 18650 light and snagged one of their "Chicro" admin lights during a sale. The Chicro has been an awesome little light that gets used daily.