PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Issues - Primer Magazine blew

JV_
10-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, I just successfully lit off a (1/2 full) primer tube. :mad:

My decapping rod unscrewed itself, letting a primed piece of brass make it to the priming station. When I seated the primer, POW, the whole thing went up. Man ... that was LOUD. I'm pretty sure I have less hearing capability than when I woke up. The small plastic rod that puts weight on the primers, the same one I taped a bullet to for extra weight, shot up to the ceiling and bent in 3 or 4 places. Good thing my light is offset 6" from the primer tube...

It cost me $85 in parts. I guess this case of reloaded ammo just cost me the same amount as a commercial case. :rolleyes:

JV_
10-30-2012, 12:02 PM
It cost me $85 in parts.It should be noted that the 1050 doesn't get the same "no BS" warranty as the 650.

Jason F
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Well, I just successfully lit off a (1/2 full) primer tube. :mad:

My decapping rod unscrewed itself, letting a primed piece of brass make it to the priming station. When I seated the primer, POW, the whole thing went up. Man ... that was LOUD. I'm pretty sure I have less hearing capability than when I woke up. The small plastic rod that puts weight on the primers, the same one I taped a bullet to for extra weight, shot up to the ceiling and bent in 3 or 4 places. Good thing my light is offset 6" from the primer tube...

It cost me $85 in parts. I guess this case of reloaded ammo just cost me the same amount as a commercial case. :rolleyes:

Glad you're ok though... yikes. I can only imagine the sound of that going off. Or the look on my wife's face once she knew I wasn't killed. :mad:

JV_
10-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Glad you're ok though... yikes.The primer tube is sleeved. There's an aluminum column where the primers fit in to, and a larger outer metal tube. That double wall construction is a safety feature, and it worked well. Other than some ringing ears, a lighter wallet, and a stinky basement - everything is A-OK.

Other than one primer going off here and there, when I was having some primer feeding issues, this is my first major incident.

JV_
10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
It looks like I can return the primer feed body, which is $52 saved. I was able to remove the aluminum sleeve, which is called the primer magazine:

CCT125US
10-31-2012, 09:16 PM
My decapping rod unscrewed itself, letting a primed piece of brass make it to the priming station

I use a 650 and have had the same issue, I check the decapper every session (1K) and snug it down. I wonder if the 1050 places more pressure on the upstroke? I have stopped just short of what could have been ignition I suppose. I found I tend to slow down on the final 1/4" of handle movement to act as a safety measure. Sounds like I need to change that from "snug" to torque. Glad all is well and hope you get your hearing back soon.

JV_
11-01-2012, 05:53 AM
I wonder if the 1050 places more pressure on the upstroke?The 1050 primes on the down stroke. You get some small variation in the required pull down force, mostly because some primers come out easier and case lube qty variations. That being said, the last few strokes didn't feel quite right, but I thought it was because I was just getting to new Aguila cases which felt like I was depriming M882. It was really the decapping pin not making good contact with the old primer.

I've been neglecting press maintenance. I've given a few individual components a clean here and there, but nothing substantial since I purchased it a year ago - which was about 25K reloads.

I'll start taking 20 minutes for some cleaning and maintenance checks every 10K rounds or so.

ToddG
11-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Glad you're ok, dude.

JConn
11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Man I am so comfortable starting to reload. Glad you're OK.

Chris Rhines
11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Ouch.

Good to hear that there were no injuries. Also, this is a good reminder to wear your eye protection when reloading...

Ridgeback303
11-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Glad you are ok! Just another reason in my mind, not to prime on the press... (650 here). I prefer the "feel" of the RCBS hand primer (with or without the APS strips).

BLR
11-01-2012, 03:33 PM
First, to answer your PM - I use 4.1 to 4.2g of bullseye with the Precision Bullet.

You are VERY lucky dude. As someone who has made primers from raw materials (like resorcinol, lead oxide, etc), priming compound is a wonderfully dangerous material. And the weight of a column of primes can be enough to build up some real pressure. Lots of shrapnel possiblities too.

Did it get your heart pumping??? Bit of ringing in the ears?

JV_
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Did it get your heart pumping???Surprisingly no, it was just loud ... very loud. And it stunk up the basement for a while, luckily I have a door down there so I can get fresh air easily.

Thanks for the load data.

The new parts arrived, I'm back up and running.

fuse
11-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Other than one primer going off here and there, when I was having some primer feeding issues, this is my first major incident.

Wow. I personally haven't prematurely detonated a primer yet. Pretty sure pants would be soiled if/when it happens.