PDA

View Full Version : My personal journey with the P320

KevH
09-16-2023, 04:49 PM
There are a lot of mixed feelings on the SIG P320 on this forum. I just thought I would give my own personal journey with the gun.

Background
I was a SIG aficionado pre-Cohen Era. I had a P228, P226, several P220's and generally loved the platform. I went through the SIG LE armorer's class back in 2003. I was deeply disappointed with the company, the general decline in quality post-2006 and had completely written them off by 2010. It caused me to go pretty much all-in on 1911 and Glock. I liked the feel of the P250 when I played with one and thought it was a novel idea, but wasn't surprised when it didn't work out and was quickly ditched by the FAMS. I was very pessimistic about the P320 when it was released. I got to play with a pre-update gun in 2017 and really liked it. When the first wave of P320 drop test drama started I wasn't at all surprised.

A close buddy let me borrow his optic equipped X5 Legion for a bit. Oh boy, it sent me down a path...

I bought a LE P320 Pro 3.9 just before the nonsense started in March 2020. I played with it a little, but it didn't feel nearly as nice as the Legion had. I ended up selling it to a friend who was desperate for one when guns were scarce mid-2020. Within a week of selling it I picked up a pre-Legion X5. It was a nice gun, but a little too heavy and large for duty carry for me. Down the road it went.

By this point, the full Lego effect of the P320 was in full swing with me. I had a bunch of mags, bunch of grip frames, a slide and some other stuff. I picked up Custom Works FCU and started playing with lots of different configurations.

I went through both the P320 and P365 armorer classes in February 2022. That course and understanding the safety system built a lot of confidence in the safety of the gun and in how it operates. It also made me realize that much of the safety concern and claims the gun "just went off" were BS, especially when the gun is in post-2019 guise.

By Spring of 2022, I had a commercial M18 and had also created basically a P320 AXG Pro 4.7 before the gun was actually released by SIG. It had a Romeo1Pro 6moa optic, Grayguns flat trigger, extra power trigger return spring, and Wilson Combat slide release. In July, I took the AXG Pro-style gun through several classes including the SIG PMO instructor class. I've owned and shot too many guns to remember and without a doubt this configuration of P320 was one of the nicest guns I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. In my Summer and Fall of 2022 putting about 3,500 rounds through the gun I had ZERO malfunctions. Not one hiccup. What I also noticed is that no matter how long I shot it I experienced zero fatigue with it. No blistered hands, no tendonitis in my elbow, just a ridiculously easy gun to shoot.

My department was switching guns (M&P 9 to M&P 2.0 OR with Acro P-2) and I felt it inappropriate to start carrying a gun we had not picked so I just kept shooting the SIG on my own time, but didn't switch at work. I've kept basically the same configuration, but have swapped back and forth between the AXG grip module and a Large plastic X module. I think I've settled on the X grip module. I finally qualified last night with the gun and am now official with it. I have a few Safariland P320 holsters and am not carrying it in any of them because of the access to the trigger guard (I've discussed this elsewhere on this forum ad nauseam). I requested a SafariVault to demo over a month ago, but have yet to see it. I'm going to carry my P320 in a US Duty Gear Level II (basically their version of a 6280) holster that allows the optic, but without a light attached.

So after four years of playing with P320's, here is my ultimate setup for me right now:
https://i.imgur.com/PXDGg7Jl.jpg

- SIG Custom Works FCU
- Grayguns Adjustable Straight Trigger (not the full kit, just the trigger with overtravel adjustment)
- ISMI +10% trigger return spring
- Wilson Combat Slide Release
- SIG Pro Cut 4.7 slide with factory barrel and RSA
- SIG Romeo1Pro 6moa optic
- Night Fision tall tritium front sight with plain black rear sight
- SIG X-Series LDC Grip Module Size Large

While it isn't small, it is fairly lightweight and is very shootable. I have close to 5,000 rounds through this particular FCU and most of them with this slide/barrel. I feel very confident with the gun, both in its reliability and in my ability to engage threats with it from 0 to 100 yards. I think I've done my due diligence with the platform. We will see how long I carry it on duty, but I feel like there isn't a better gun or setup for me right now for that purpose.

AMC
09-16-2023, 09:57 PM
Mirrors some of my own 320 Saga. I started with an X5 Legion for Competiton use, then ended up with a 4.7" Pro, then an RXP Carry, then an AXG Carry. Done some 'kit bashing' along the way too.

At this point I have 4, plus 2 365XLs. They meet my needs. So would an M&P 2.0 9mm (still love that gun). So would a Gen5 G17. And any time somebody asks me if they should get rid of the Glock 17 and holsters and mags and go down the SIG tunnel, I tell them to buy at least 2 more Glocks instead. But really, I don't care what guns anyone else carries anymore, 'cause I don't have to.

Anyway, welcome to the Dark Side, Kev.

MichaelOrick
09-18-2023, 10:40 AM
I picked up another M18.
This one is a P320 CA (CA approved?) marked July 6, 2022.
It came with three 10 mags and three 21 mags for a song.
Has worked great for me so far.

MichaelOrick
09-20-2023, 06:42 AM
Duh... the CA is for carry, not the state of CA.

Does not have a mag safety, which the CA state-approved guns do have.

Thanks for not laughing.

TOTS
09-21-2023, 09:21 PM
Duh... the CA is for carry, not the state of CA.

Does not have a mag safety, which the CA state-approved guns do have.

Thanks for not laughing.
Nice. Deets on the knife too please?

MichaelOrick
09-22-2023, 04:18 AM
Nice. Deets on the knife too please?

CRKT Ramadi, design by Sirois. Feels great in my hand.
G10, SK5. Comes with DOT clip. About $80.
Better at SOCP type stuff (which I have done) than bush crafting type stuff (which I never will do).

TOTS
09-22-2023, 09:01 AM
CRKT Ramadi, design by Sirois. Feels great in my hand.
G10, SK5. Comes with DOT clip. About $80.
Better at SOCP type stuff (which I have done) than bush crafting type stuff (which I never will do).
Great look to it. Almost the same blade shape as a Benchmade Protagonist I bought for the same purpose.