PDA

View Full Version : 1301 heat shield options?

Pnut
09-15-2023, 02:35 AM
After mainly shooting my AR’s, I’ve become accustomed to shooting with the C grip on the forend. Now that I’m spending more time getting acquainted with my 1301, I catch myself wanting to shoot it with a C grip. That only last a few round before the barrel starts to get too hot!

I saw a YouTube video where someone modified a Mossberg heat shield to wor with their 1301. It looked like a good idea and worked well but… it wasn’t aesthetically pleasing to me. Like putting hubcaps on a luxury car!

So does anyone know of other options? I know I could wear gloves. I’m also aware of the Briley forend, but it’s pricey. Is there a more aesthetically pleasing Mossberg shield?

I found a nice looking heat shield made for the Benelli M4, but it’s also $$$… photos bellow

GearFondler
09-15-2023, 03:25 PM
I'm with you but I don't think there's a good answer yet.
Unless Aridus ever designs one anyway.

Pnut
09-15-2023, 06:35 PM
Well hopefully this thread will spark a fire under some manufacturer!

GearFondler
09-15-2023, 07:33 PM
Well hopefully this thread will spark a fire under some manufacturer!The little bit of research I've done suggests the biggest issue is the add-on shield always moves around under recoil so that it comes loose and also scratches the barrel... So basically it's a +2 barrel clamp type of situation.
A clamp that secures to the forend instead of the barrel is probably the answer.

SteveL
09-15-2023, 08:55 PM
I haven't tried it yet, and it's not cheap, but a lot of people really like the Briley handguard. It's open on top but it's still supposed to work well with the C clamp grip.

https://www.briley.com/p-64587-briley-3gun-m-lok-handguard-beretta-1301-comp-or-tactical-a400-xtreme.aspx

Pnut
09-16-2023, 08:05 PM
I was brainstorming ideas for a heat shield. Based on what GearFodler said about the Mossberg things moving around, why not make one that bolts onto the Aridus forend? I don’t have the Aridus, so I don’t know if it would actually work though.

If it were feasible, the only draw back for me would be price. It might just be easier to invest the $ on the Briley…

SteveL
09-16-2023, 10:30 PM
I was brainstorming ideas for a heat shield. Based on what GearFodler said about the Mossberg things moving around, why not make one that bolts onto the Aridus forend? I don’t have the Aridus, so I don’t know if it would actually work though.

If it were feasible, the only draw back for me would be price. It might just be easier to invest the $ on the Briley…

As noted I don't have any experience with the Briley, but I'm thinking about trying it out. I do have experience with the Aridus. It's a nice setup. It's well made, but I also like the C style grip and it doesn't work after the barrel starts heating up. I also find the limited mounting options to be lacking.

GyroF-16
09-16-2023, 11:51 PM
As noted I don't have any experience with the Briley, but I'm thinking about trying it out. I do have experience with the Aridus. It's a nice setup. It's well made, but I also like the C style grip and it doesn't work after the barrel starts heating up. I also find the limited mounting options to be lacking.

The Briley handguard looks appealing, but 13.7 oz seems like a lot to add to the gun. The stock handguard can’t be more than a couple ounces and, while I don’t see a weight specified at the Aridus website, my Ardis handguard doesn’t seem like it added much weight. I do see the appeal of increased rigidity. I haven’t experienced any limitations in mounting options with the Aridus - currently have a weapon light and a QD sling mount attached.

SteveL
09-17-2023, 04:24 PM
The Briley handguard looks appealing, but 13.7 oz seems like a lot to add to the gun. The stock handguard can’t be more than a couple ounces and, while I don’t see a weight specified at the Aridus website, my Ardis handguard doesn’t seem like it added much weight. I do see the appeal of increased rigidity. I haven’t experienced any limitations in mounting options with the Aridus - currently have a weapon light and a QD sling mount attached.

I have that stuff attached as well, but I don't necessarily like their locations. I would also like to be able to run my thumb over the top, but can't with the Aridus once the barrel gets hot.

Pnut
09-17-2023, 06:42 PM
Are all the Mlok rails usable with the Aridus forend? Or will they interfere with the gun’s working parts?

GyroF-16
09-17-2023, 10:56 PM
Are all the Mlok rails usable with the Aridus forend? Or will they interfere with the gun’s working parts?

The aft MLOK slots are half-available, as the mounting hardware takes up the aft half (this is addressed in the Aridus website). I have a QD sling adapter on one side.

The forward slots are fully usable - I have a cantilever light mount on one side and a pressure switch on the other.

Navin Johnson
09-17-2023, 11:43 PM
Do gloves work?

Pnut
09-18-2023, 10:44 AM
I mentioned gloves earlier. Another option I’ve heard about is to heat wrap the forend… like the kind of wrap used on silencers.

GearFondler
09-18-2023, 01:53 PM
Are all the Mlok rails usable with the Aridus forend? Or will they interfere with the gun’s working parts?Note the forward ones on the bottom are not as they are covered by the internal heat shield.

LHS
09-18-2023, 05:44 PM
I haven't tried it yet, and it's not cheap, but a lot of people really like the Briley handguard. It's open on top but it's still supposed to work well with the C clamp grip.

https://www.briley.com/p-64587-briley-3gun-m-lok-handguard-beretta-1301-comp-or-tactical-a400-xtreme.aspx

So, I've seen a few of these come through classes, and I've fiddled around with them a bit when the opportunity presented itself.

Pros:
1. They're good at keeping your hands off the hot barrel, although not perfect since they leave the very top open.

Cons:
1. They're rude expensive. I get it, it costs money to machine them. But damn that's a lot of money compared to a set of flight gloves.
2. They're heavy, and that weight is all out towards the muzzle.
3. You have to really keep on top of the magazine extension/cover (depending on generation of 1301), because if that gets loose, it's the only thing holding the handguard tight against the receiver and I've seen several of these come loose and break the little tabs at the receiver end of the part during classes.

LHS
09-18-2023, 05:47 PM
The little bit of research I've done suggests the biggest issue is the add-on shield always moves around under recoil so that it comes loose and also scratches the barrel... So basically it's a +2 barrel clamp type of situation.
A clamp that secures to the forend instead of the barrel is probably the answer.

Yeah, I haven't seen any current-production heat shields that attach in a solid way, and most of them seem to be covered in sharp edges as well.

Y'all need to watch the upcoming P&S Modcast, the topic does come up a bit :D

Pnut
09-18-2023, 10:57 PM
Does the Briley not have a ball detent to hold the mag extension?

LHS
09-19-2023, 10:31 AM
Does the Briley not have a ball detent to hold the mag extension?

Dunno, I've only ever looked at them mounted on a gun, and when one goes down I generally don't have time to do extensive troubleshooting because there's a class going on.

Brian T
09-19-2023, 12:43 PM
It seems something with a second point of contact, for instance the top of the receiver, is needed. A new rear sight would be needed, thus driving the costs up further

SteveL
09-19-2023, 01:00 PM
So, I've seen a few of these come through classes, and I've fiddled around with them a bit when the opportunity presented itself.

Pros:
1. They're good at keeping your hands off the hot barrel, although not perfect since they leave the very top open.

Cons:
1. They're rude expensive. I get it, it costs money to machine them. But damn that's a lot of money compared to a set of flight gloves.
2. They're heavy, and that weight is all out towards the muzzle.
3. You have to really keep on top of the magazine extension/cover (depending on generation of 1301), because if that gets loose, it's the only thing holding the handguard tight against the receiver and I've seen several of these come loose and break the little tabs at the receiver end of the part during classes.

Keying in on the red part, could you share your observations on which generations are more/less affected by this problem?

LHS
09-19-2023, 02:18 PM
Keying in on the red part, could you share your observations on which generations are more/less affected by this problem?

That was meant to convey that there's a difference between the older gens with the short mag tube and the extension, and the current gen with the full-length one-piece mag tube and a screw-on cover. Both the cover and the cap/extension do the same thing, i.e. screw the handguard on (regardless of what handguard that might be).

TCinVA
09-20-2023, 07:44 AM
I've been running the Briley rail on my #1 1301 for a couple of years now.

#1 is a Gen1 1301 with the normal magazine tube. I have a Nordic +2 extension on the gun.

The Briley does a magnificent job of keeping your hands away from the barrel when it's hot. This is especially useful if you are doing short-stocking demonstrations, which I almost always do with an 870 anyway. So there's that.

It is held on only by the magazine tube extension. If I was buying a 1301 today, I'd prefer to buy the normal length mag tube and add the Nordic extension just because of how reliably it stays in place. Once the Nordic tube is tightened down, it stays tight until you decide to take it off. All it requires is normal finger pressure to do both. It stays tight even after a full day's worth of shooting full powered shells. It is a truly splendid piece of equipment. All my magazine tube extensions are either Nordic, Wilson, or Vang Comp because I have found all of them do a splendid job of staying tight while shooting, which is immensely helpful in keeping guns from breaking.

I haven't seen anyone using the Briley on the new extended mag tube models to see how the plastic cap fares. But I can believe it wouldn't be as trouble-free an experience as the Nordic extension.

When I bought the Briley it was $200 bucks. I saw it show up on their site on December of 2020 and I thought I had some instructor revenue I could burn (better that it be used on necessary equipment than taxes) so I bought it.

It is fantastic for mounting an X300 at exactly the spot I want it. When combined with a section of rail from Arisaka Defense, it keeps the light nice and tight into the overall profile of the gun.

It was a stupid expensive way to mount an X300 at $200. It is a lot more stupid at $335. It adds a considerable feeling of bulkiness to the fore-end of the gun which most people who pick it up don't like. Personally I don't feel like it added much weight to the gun, but that is a totally subjective assessment as I never weighed it. My #2 1301 is lighter, certainly, but it also doesn't have a mag tube extension on it either. So personally I don't find the weight a problem, but I'm not carrying the thing very often. I mostly pick it up, shoot it, and put it down. I may be holding it for 30-45 minutes at a time demonstrating manipulations...but I do that with an 870 and the 870 is considerably heavier so I don't really notice.

So is it a worthwhile modification to your shotgun?

If you want something that shields your hand from the barrel and lets you mount a light and other accessories exactly where you want them and you don't mind the fore-end feeling at least 1/3-1/2 more bulky than the factory fore-end and you are perfectly happy to drop about $400 to get all that going for you, the Briley will do all that.

If you do not answer an enthusiastic and happy "Yes!" to every single one of those questions in that order, probably best skipping it and buying a glove for the left hand instead.

SteveL
09-20-2023, 12:40 PM
I've been running the Briley rail on my #1 1301 for a couple of years now.

#1 is a Gen1 1301 with the normal magazine tube. I have a Nordic +2 extension on the gun.

The Briley does a magnificent job of keeping your hands away from the barrel when it's hot. This is especially useful if you are doing short-stocking demonstrations, which I almost always do with an 870 anyway. So there's that.

It is held on only by the magazine tube extension. If I was buying a 1301 today, I'd prefer to buy the normal length mag tube and add the Nordic extension just because of how reliably it stays in place. Once the Nordic tube is tightened down, it stays tight until you decide to take it off. All it requires is normal finger pressure to do both. It stays tight even after a full day's worth of shooting full powered shells. It is a truly splendid piece of equipment. All my magazine tube extensions are either Nordic, Wilson, or Vang Comp because I have found all of them do a splendid job of staying tight while shooting, which is immensely helpful in keeping guns from breaking.

I haven't seen anyone using the Briley on the new extended mag tube models to see how the plastic cap fares. But I can believe it wouldn't be as trouble-free an experience as the Nordic extension.

When I bought the Briley it was $200 bucks. I saw it show up on their site on December of 2020 and I thought I had some instructor revenue I could burn (better that it be used on necessary equipment than taxes) so I bought it.

It is fantastic for mounting an X300 at exactly the spot I want it. When combined with a section of rail from Arisaka Defense, it keeps the light nice and tight into the overall profile of the gun.

It was a stupid expensive way to mount an X300 at $200. It is a lot more stupid at $335. It adds a considerable feeling of bulkiness to the fore-end of the gun which most people who pick it up don't like. Personally I don't feel like it added much weight to the gun, but that is a totally subjective assessment as I never weighed it. My #2 1301 is lighter, certainly, but it also doesn't have a mag tube extension on it either. So personally I don't find the weight a problem, but I'm not carrying the thing very often. I mostly pick it up, shoot it, and put it down. I may be holding it for 30-45 minutes at a time demonstrating manipulations...but I do that with an 870 and the 870 is considerably heavier so I don't really notice.

So is it a worthwhile modification to your shotgun?

If you want something that shields your hand from the barrel and lets you mount a light and other accessories exactly where you want them and you don't mind the fore-end feeling at least 1/3-1/2 more bulky than the factory fore-end and you are perfectly happy to drop about $400 to get all that going for you, the Briley will do all that.

If you do not answer an enthusiastic and happy "Yes!" to every single one of those questions in that order, probably best skipping it and buying a glove for the left hand instead.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Pnut
09-20-2023, 05:49 PM
So does the Briley rail have a ball detent to hold the mag cap in place?

TCinVA
09-20-2023, 08:07 PM
So does the Briley rail have a ball detent to hold the mag cap in place?

A very large one at the 6:00 position.

Pnut
09-21-2023, 09:16 PM
As attractive as the Briley looks, the cost and weight are too much for me. So I guess until someone comes up with a better solution, I’ll just use glove!

SteveL
09-22-2023, 02:14 PM
I can't find a published weight for the Aridus forend so I just pulled mine off, stripped the accessories, and weighed it at 7.9 oz. That includes the forend with mounting hardware still installed, and the aluminum cap. So going from the Aridus to the Briley adds 5.8 oz. In my case I use the Nordic tube extension and clamp with sling mount. If you don't use that, then that's another ~2.4 oz. you're saving. IMO that's not that bad, but the price is still a major hurdle.

Pnut
09-22-2023, 04:38 PM
In all honesty, if it weren’t for the cost, I’d probably get the Briley. I don’t shoot professionally or competitively, so the weight really isn’t an issue, just another way to justify to myself not to drop the coin on it.

SteveL
09-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Agreed. IMO the little bit of added weight is a non-issue. But damn, it's expensive. I might end up getting one sooner or later, but it'll have to be whenever I've got some extra $$$ I don't need.

GearFondler
09-23-2023, 10:03 AM
Laying awake at 5am this morning I was thinking about a heatshield because who wasn't?
I'm strongly convinced that a shield could be made to work with the Aridus Zhukov forend, attached at the fore and aft mlok slots. The Zhukov has enough flex that after it's on the barrel I believe the shield could be locked in place using tab feet that fit into the slots from the backside. This had the added benefit of keeping the shield off the barrel so it stays even cooler and doesn't mark up the barrel.
It's something that maybe SpyderMan2k4 could eventually create but I'm not sure he's set up to build stamped steel parts. This seems like a piece that makes way more sense stamped than milled.

Pnut
09-23-2023, 11:01 AM
During my brainstorming of adding a heat shield to the Zhukov, I only thought of one problem…. The reason a lot of people get the Zhukov is to use the mlok rails to hang accessories… light, sling cups, etc. If someone could figure out a way to mount the shield AND still allow mounting accessories, that would be a game changer!

RevolverRob
09-23-2023, 11:23 AM
I could swear, but not guarantee, that someone mounted the heatshield to their Zhukov in the 1301 mega thread.

GearFondler
09-23-2023, 11:48 AM
I could swear, but not guarantee, that someone mounted the heatshield to their Zhukov in the 1301 mega thread.Shouldn't take more than a week to find it. [emoji1787]

Magsz
09-23-2023, 11:04 PM
During my brainstorming of adding a heat shield to the Zhukov, I only thought of one problem…. The reason a lot of people get the Zhukov is to use the mlok rails to hang accessories… light, sling cups, etc. If someone could figure out a way to mount the shield AND still allow mounting accessories, that would be a game changer!

The rear m'lok half slot is nigh useless. I had an IWC QD in there and that's about it. Some people mount a matchsaver to it but other than that, no one is really using that thing. If the headshield were to be mounted to that slot in the rear i'm sure a singular slot up front could be used to secure the front of the heatshield. This would still leave one slot for a light. Plenty of flexibility there.

As with everything, there's always going to be a tradeoff.

I just went ahead and did this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4Fuc-x7r4

I'll report back as to how effective it is in a few weeks when I have a chance to shoot the thing.

Navin Johnson
09-24-2023, 12:31 AM
I know people like complicated projects

Why not get a comp and have it chopped to 18 1/2. (Aimpoint S-1)

Still a half inch longer than a tactical

But the rib was never a problem barehanded

Then it doesn’t look or handle like ass

Still not sure why gloves won’t solve the problem for y’all

Good luck

Pnut
09-24-2023, 12:50 AM
Magsz, that’s the video that inspired this thread! If you do go through with this mod, keep us updated on how it turns out… fit, durability, etc.

I’m curious if the guy who made the video is a member here?

GearFondler
09-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Neato! Now I'm seriously contemplating seeing if that mod can work well with the Zhukov forend.

awp_101
09-24-2023, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen any current-production heat shields that attach in a solid way, and most of them seem to be covered in sharp edges as well.

Y'all need to watch the upcoming P&S Modcast, the topic does come up a bit :D

Heat shield all the things!

https://youtu.be/jksldX33HAY?si=ht2k7aq5qtrExO0U

https://youtu.be/i75ce-FnPK0?si=0F81_dZbRWlI_v6l

SteveL
09-24-2023, 02:08 PM
Neato! Now I'm seriously contemplating seeing if that mod can work well with the Zhukov forend.
It looks like there is a lot more space between the barrel and Zhukov than there is with the factory handguard, so I think it would work and may even be easier to do. If you try it please let us know how it works out.

Pnut
09-24-2023, 02:30 PM
The heat shield featured in the install video is supposed to be polymer, not sheet metal. Hopefully that would alleviate sharp edges and scratches on the gun’s finish.

GearFondler
09-24-2023, 03:05 PM
The heat shield featured in the install video is supposed to be polymer, not sheet metal. Hopefully that would alleviate sharp edges and scratches on the gun’s finish.And help further prevent heat transfer.

Andy in NH
09-24-2023, 03:15 PM
I wonder if something similar to the M249 SAW heat shield could be fabricated to fit the 1301?

The sides of the heart shield rest on the top of the handguard and a spring clip holds the shield to the barrel.

Andy in NH
09-24-2023, 03:19 PM
The rear m'lok half slot is nigh useless. I had an IWC QD in there and that's about it. Some people mount a matchsaver to it but other than that, no one is really using that thing. If the headshield were to be mounted to that slot in the rear i'm sure a singular slot up front could be used to secure the front of the heatshield. This would still leave one slot for a light. Plenty of flexibility there.

As with everything, there's always going to be a tradeoff.

I just went ahead and did this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4Fuc-x7r4

I'll report back as to how effective it is in a few weeks when I have a chance to shoot the thing.

Very cool - nice video!

Magsz
09-24-2023, 05:50 PM

Good luck

Then you don't have good quality iron sights for backup or slug shooting. It's a consideration but most people really like their tactical's. You also have to deal with the weird first/second generation bolt release on the competition model.

Magsz, that’s the video that inspired this thread! If you do go through with this mod, keep us updated on how it turns out… fit, durability, etc.

I’m curious if the guy who made the video is a member here?

Mod is done. I just have to shoot it. I'll post up some photos when I have a chance.

Anything can be made to work but it's not as simple as it looks. The zhukov "wings" where the front molle slots rest are very tall. These things prevent the heat shield from seating down far enough in order to hover just slightly over the barrel. When you attach the front clamp and then attempt to push the rear locking wings over the barrel, the heat shield bows. It simply doesn't fit unless you shave down those wings. Also, without there being any rear buttress via the handguard, there is nothing to keep the heat shield from moving around except the forward magazine tube extension clamp. Again, it can be done but it's probably harder to do than modifying the original handguard. Personally, I find the Zhukov handguard to be oddly shaped, fat and not terribly grippy. I really do like the slim profile of the factory handguard so I'm kind of happy to be going back. Yes, it makes mounting a light that much harder.

Very cool - nice video!

Just keep in mind that wasn't my video. Credit goes to the original poster.

GearFondler
09-24-2023, 05:55 PM
Magsz

Well I've already placed the order so I'm risking $17 for the sake of everyone else. [emoji16]
Plus I'm a half-decent tinkerer so I'm not afraid to give it a go.

Andy in NH
09-24-2023, 06:18 PM
Just keep in mind that wasn't my video. Credit goes to the original poster.

Thanks for the clarification. I left a positive comment on YouTube also.

Magsz
09-24-2023, 07:11 PM
Magsz

Well I've already placed the order so I'm risking $17 for the sake of everyone else. [emoji16]
Plus I'm a half-decent tinkerer so I'm not afraid to give it a go.

I THINK it can be done. I just wasn't quite ready to modify my expensive handguard.

Also, IF the front clamping mechanism on the heatshield is tight and is essentially sandwiched between the mag tube clamp and the handguard cap you should be fine.

Please report back.

Also, for those of you who are wondering, the shield is plastic and while cheaply made, should hold up under most use cases.

LHS
09-24-2023, 08:51 PM
Heat shield all the things!

SO SAY WE ALL

Caballoflaco
09-24-2023, 09:14 PM

Good luck

The comp won’t run with an 18.5” barrel according to beretta folks due to differences in the gas system (not enough t dwell time) It uses the 3.5” receiver and gas system.

Magsz
09-25-2023, 02:16 AM
Some pics:

RevolverRob
09-25-2023, 09:50 AM

Good luck

Or just get a 21" Comp Pro and don't bother doing anything else.

GearFondler
09-25-2023, 12:48 PM
I THINK it can be done. I just wasn't quite ready to modify my expensive handguard.

Well I have zero plans to negatively modify a $200 part to work with a $20 part... I'll either mod the shield itself or I'll scrap the idea.

Pnut
09-29-2023, 08:03 PM
Well after seeing others here giving it a try, it gave me the courage to give the Mossberg heat shield a shot. The install went well… thanks to the video. My only problem was that after cutting the rear arms of the shield, there wasn’t enough spring tension to keep the piece in place. I don’t know if I cut off too much from the shield or possibly removed too much material from the hand guard.

Once I tightened down the front clamp screws, the rear lifted about 1/8”. My solution was to secure it down with a piece of inner tube… essentially a large rubber band… but to remain tacticool, we can call it a Ranger band.

I’m happy with the results though. It looks and feels good. It adds very little girth as I grip the gun. Now I just need to get to the range to test it out!

One thing about the actual shield… it’s great for the price I paid, but there was a lot of rough edges left from the molding process. I simply debarred the edges and ran a counter sink bit in all the vent holes the remove the flash.

GearFondler
09-29-2023, 08:39 PM
Well after seeing others here giving it a try, it gave me the courage to give the Mossberg heat shield a shot. The install went well… thanks to the video. My only problem was that after cutting the rear arms of the shield, there wasn’t enough spring tension to keep the piece in place. I don’t know if I cut off too much from the shield or possibly removed too much material from the hand guard.

Once I tightened down the front clamp screws, the rear lifted about 1/8”. My solution was to secure it down with a piece of inner tube… essentially a large rubber band… but to remain tacticool, we can call it a Ranger band.

I’m happy with the results though. It looks and feels good. It adds very little girth as I grip the gun. Now I just need to get to the range to test it out!

One thing about the actual shield… it’s great for the price I paid, but there was a lot of rough edges left from the molding process. I simply debarred the edges and ran a counter sink bit in all the vent holes the remove the flash.No pics? WTF, bro?
Fail.

But thanks for the update and tips... Mine won't be here till tomorrow and I may not have time to seriously mod it this weekend.

Pnut
09-29-2023, 09:09 PM
As requested!

Without the band…

With the band…

An added benefit of the band is that it holds the shield securely in place with very little movement

GearFondler
09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
It looks like maybe you positioned yours further forward than in the video. The barrel widens at the base and may create a better fit a little closer to the receiver.
Maybe.
I'm just guessing from your picture and fuzzy memory.

Magsz
09-29-2023, 10:20 PM
I think where you went "wrong" is your positioning of the shield.

I noted that the originator of this mod mounted his shield really far back. I basically attempted by eye, to mimic his positioning. The rear of the shield is pretty darned close to the chamber. The barrel begins to swell at that point and I believe the arms of the heat shield band have a little bit more to grasp onto there. You may want to try moving the shield backwards.

Pnut
09-30-2023, 12:20 AM
You guys are correct about my positioning vs the video. I had to mount mine further forward because of my SRO and because of my flashlight setup… I have a scout light mounted to a GGG rail that’s held on by the mag tube cover. The foreword clamp was blocked by the light’s head so I had to move it forward, about 1/2” behind the front sight base. Live and learn!!!

Another observation I made today. I couldn’t take down the gun without having to remove the shield. Maybe it can be done, but I couldn’t figure it out. I tried once, but the GGG rail thing would jam up against the shields clamps, so I stopped there.

If anyone needed to know the shield’s clamp screws are 4-40 x 1/4”. They are Phillips screws so I plan on replacing them with hex head screws. I figure if I need to remove it every time I clean the gun, hex head screws would be more convenient.

Pnut
09-30-2023, 12:21 PM
As Magsz said, mounting further back should create more tension to hold the shield in place because of the added diameter of the barrel. I’m curious if the amount of material removed from the hand guard would also help?!?

With less material removed, it would help sandwich the shield’s legs to the barrel, adding more spring tension…. I’m no engineer, but I was just guessing?!?

Andy in NH
09-30-2023, 04:23 PM
It's something that maybe SpyderMan2k4 could eventually create but I'm not sure he's set up to build stamped steel parts. This seems like a piece that makes way more sense stamped than milled.

I'd like to hear the input from SpyderMan2k4

Doesn't appear as if he's viewed this thread?

Pnut
09-30-2023, 09:49 PM
I just confirmed that mounting the shield further back IS more secure.

I removed my barrel and placed my modified shield on it. It fit loosely in the foreword position I had it at. I then slid it back to where the barrel swells and it held much better.

So if you plan on doing this mod, be aware that mounting the further back, the better. Due to my setup with the light and SRO, that wasn’t possible, so I will live with the ranger band…

GearFondler
09-30-2023, 11:26 PM
Here's mine modded to fit the Zhukov... The pics should show what all I did. I ground that one clamp narrower so as to allow the shield to slide back a bit further for the best fit at the receiver end.
I can take it all apart without removing the shield but it requires pulling out the barrel a few inches simultaneously with sliding up the forend until the Aridus front mount clears the mag tube.
I also taped down the back end of the shield using automotive heat resistant tape just to better secure it... Those two shortened plastic legs are not exactly snug or confidence inspiring.
Initial thoughts are that it should work well enough but I would prefer a more secure attachment.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/c014258228da6bda475292df2d427788.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/92bd1c0b8ea58fa14261d47315ca23ef.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/6e621f7f2cb29f6ac30ab0e656eb71b0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/d95e5bb43032ee4a064497eebddc7a48.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/13f479cb9cee23771baf2a0beed828df.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/8ac805ad1bcc64b1d0983b14047fc7f1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/9bdeeaeb55c2cb3fb2deb13caca25ba4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/4b1bae45c16fbe2a33cc8b032107a6ae.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/49f82b6713692940455a1a7cb33beed6.jpg

Pnut
10-01-2023, 02:02 AM
Nice job! One idea I thought about when I found my setup being loose was to run set screw through the hand guard to press against the shields ears. I settled on the ranger band.

Pnut
10-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Ok… final update!

I decided to try and move the shield back for better retention. I forgot that my Scout Light is the PRO model that can be adjusted… so I rotated it out a bit and was able to move the shield back. It fits great and is much more secure than my original setup. But I’m still using the ranger band for good measure.

Like GearFondler, I had to remove some material from one of the claps to allow room for my mag tube cover.

I wanna thank GearFondler and Magsz for convincing me to do this mod!

rojocorsa
10-02-2023, 09:15 AM
Or just get a 21" Comp Pro and don't bother doing anything else.

This! The 21" guns (Pro or not) are so damn similar that I'm curious if they're maybe best all-around of the 1301 family.

Re: Heatshields

Outside of shooting a lot in a class or when practicing, are these really that necessary vs. just getting a glove for your support hand?

Presumably most of us will use it for home defense, and even a copper isn't gonna sling out 25 shells in rapid succession to reload and do another 25, is he?

SteveL
10-02-2023, 04:43 PM
This! The 21" guns (Pro or not) are so damn similar that I'm curious if they're maybe best all-around of the 1301 family.

Outside of shooting a lot in a class or when practicing, are these really that necessary vs. just getting a glove for your support hand?

Presumably most of us will use it for home defense, and even a copper isn't gonna sling out 25 shells in rapid succession to reload and do another 25, is he?

Honestly a glove is probably fine most of the time. Personally, I just don't like wearing them though when I shoot.

SteveL
10-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Here's mine modded to fit the Zhukov... The pics should show what all I did. I ground that one clamp narrower so as to allow the shield to slide back a bit further for the best fit at the receiver end.
I can take it all apart without removing the shield but it requires pulling out the barrel a few inches simultaneously with sliding up the forend until the Aridus front mount clears the mag tube.
I also taped down the back end of the shield using automotive heat resistant tape just to better secure it... Those two shortened plastic legs are not exactly snug or confidence inspiring.
Initial thoughts are that it should work well enough but I would prefer a more secure attachment.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231001/49f82b6713692940455a1a7cb33beed6.jpg

What flashlight mount is that?

GearFondler
10-02-2023, 05:22 PM
What flashlight mount is that?https://magpul.com/m-lokcantileverrail-lightmount-aluminum.html?mp_global_color=118

Pnut
10-04-2023, 12:07 PM
Heads up on the Briley hand guard… it’s on sale right now at DVOR. Comes out to under $300 w/ shipping.

The only minor problem is that it isn’t the Tactical specific model. From my limited research, it will fit the Tac, but the bottom heat shield might not cover the gas piston, allowing gas to escape?!?

From Briley’s web page:
“ Both versions are the same length (14" overall), the difference is in the uncut area of the handguard. The difference prevents excess gas from blowing out of the piston onto your hand.”

jaxman7
10-14-2023, 07:46 PM
Just installed mine. I had to sand down the area where the heat shield meets the handguard. Hard to explain but it made the heat shield standoff between the shield and the handguard itself leave too much of a gap and when my support hand grabbed the 1301 I could feel the heat shield give. Meaning it would press in to the barrel. If you'll look at the front of the heat shield you can see the slight cut away I made into it where it meets up with the handguard. Plus after sanding and reducing said area it makes the shield less 'bulky' in the hands with a thumb over grip. Glad I found this mod on here guys. Now to go shoot and make sure everything stays put.

-Jax

https://flic.kr/p/2p9iMAK

Pnut
10-15-2023, 11:42 AM
Nice work Jaxman7! My shield has a little movement when I clamp down on it as well but I don’t think it will be a problem.

I’ll try to explain the movement… since the shield AND the hand guard are composite, they both flex a bit under pressure. When I firmly grip them together, one of the will flex a bit, causing minor side to side motion… not a deal breaker though.

RxArms
10-31-2023, 11:59 AM
After mainly shooting my AR’s, I’ve become accustomed to shooting with the C grip on the forend. Now that I’m spending more time getting acquainted with my 1301, I catch myself wanting to shoot it with a C grip. That only last a few round before the barrel starts to get too hot!

I saw a YouTube video where someone modified a Mossberg heat shield to wor with their 1301. It looked like a good idea and worked well but… it wasn’t aesthetically pleasing to me. Like putting hubcaps on a luxury car!

So does anyone know of other options? I know I could wear gloves. I’m also aware of the Briley forend, but it’s pricey. Is there a more aesthetically pleasing Mossberg shield?

I found a nice looking heat shield made for the Benelli M4, but it’s also $$$… photos bellow

My first post here, but this is the heat shield we are designing for the M4, still working out final pricing, hoping to get it a bit cheaper.

As for the Beretta 1301, I am expecting a prototype heat shield in my hands in November, optimistically. Will be a similar design to the one in this picture, with MLOK slots all the way back to the receiver, but also requires an Rx Arms optic mount to accept the boss on the heat shield. I will also be able to carry the design over to the A300UP quite easily, but I need to import some A300UP into Canada so I can work on them.

These heat shields are a very ambitious project for a company of my size, but I hope they are well received. Feel free to ask any questions you guys may have.

SteveL
11-24-2023, 02:20 PM
I sucked it up and ordered the Briley while it's 20% off for Black Friday. Hopefully I'll have it in hand in a couple of weeks. If I like it I'll be looking to offload my Aridus.

Pnut
11-24-2023, 03:01 PM
My first post here, but this is the heat shield we are designing for the M4, still working out final pricing, hoping to get it a bit cheaper.

As for the Beretta 1301, I am expecting a prototype heat shield in my hands in November, optimistically. Will be a similar design to the one in this picture, with MLOK slots all the way back to the receiver, but also requires an Rx Arms optic mount to accept the boss on the heat shield. I will also be able to carry the design over to the A300UP quite easily, but I need to import some A300UP into Canada so I can work on them.

These heat shields are a very ambitious project for a company of my size, but I hope they are well received. Feel free to ask any questions you guys may have.

Looking forward to seeing finished product! So you need the optic mount to mount the piece? Does your design bolt onto the receiver, replacing the pic rail?

RxArms
11-24-2023, 03:09 PM
Looking forward to seeing finished product! So you need the optic mount to mount the piece? Does your design bolt onto the receiver, replacing the pic rail?

It will require an optic mount just like the M4 version. I’ll be releasing initially RMR cowitness height mount and a picatinny rail.

The reason for this, is tool-less removal of the barrel from the receiver. This is a ways away though probably mid 2024 for the 1301/A300 UP.

GearFondler
11-24-2023, 04:32 PM
It will require an optic mount just like the M4 version. I’ll be releasing initially RMR cowitness height mount and a picatinny rail.

The reason for this, is tool-less removal of the barrel from the receiver. This is a ways away though probably mid 2024 for the 1301/A300 UP.So I don't like the need for the optic mount just to support the heat shield but I understand it. And I won't lie, the prototype for the M4 looks dummy sweet.
I would hate to replace my CROM but I'll definitely be tempted if you bring this to market.

RxArms
11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
So I don't like the need for the optic mount just to support the heat shield but I understand it. And I won't lie, the prototype for the M4 looks dummy sweet.
I would hate to replace my CROM but I'll definitely be tempted if you bring this to market.

It is not an if but a when. Yes I get that most will already have an optic mount that will need to be replaced, but it’s the best way to design it for tool-less removal of the barrel, and also achieving a rearward anchor for support.

GearFondler
11-24-2023, 05:06 PM
It is not an if but a when. Yes I get that most will already have an optic mount that will need to be replaced, but it’s the best way to design it for tool-less removal of the barrel, and also achieving a rearward anchor for support.Yep, like I said, I understand.
Your design looks to be more lightweight and as solid than anything I've seen elsewhere and it looks dead sexy as well. And the tool-less aspect is an absolute necessity in my opinion.

CEBEP
02-04-2024, 06:33 AM
https://magpul.com/m-lokcantileverrail-lightmount-aluminum.html?mp_global_color=118

Could you also advise the flashlight model? Thanks.

GearFondler
02-05-2024, 02:04 PM
Could you also advise the flashlight model? Thanks.Modlite PLV2 with 18350 WML body...

https://modlite.com/products/merge-plhv2-18350-wml-packages?variant=40748746113060

Pnut
04-08-2024, 05:49 PM
Looks like there are more options available now. Options are always a good thing.

Aridus has one in the works. There was a YouTube video talking about it.

GGG is also making one that integrates with their version of the Zhukov handguard.

And I found another from a company called SHOTGUNHEATSHIELD.COM that works with the Zhukov. It looks like they used the Mossberg heat shield and contoured it to the Zhukov profile.
https://www.shotgunheatshield.com/beretta-1301-custom-heat-shield-shotgun-12ga-raw-cut-barrel-shroud-mod/

mrozowjj
04-08-2024, 09:01 PM

You're making me feel real good about that 21" comp pro I have sitting at the dealer waiting for the all clear right now.

Pnut
04-09-2024, 01:15 AM
Looking back in this thread, I just realized that the ShotgunHeatShield model is just like the one GearFondler made! I wonder if they were lurking in the forums and “borrowed” his idea?!?!

GearFondler
04-09-2024, 12:57 PM
Looking back in this thread, I just realized that the ShotgunHeatShield model is just like the one GearFondler made! I wonder if they were lurking in the forums and “borrowed” his idea?!?!Just what I was thinking when I saw your link. [emoji849]

Pnut
04-24-2024, 12:38 AM
I just received my Aridus v2 handguard and love it! Borrowing (wink wink) the idea from GearFondler, I modified a Mossberg handguard to work with the Aridus. I also BORROWED an idea from somewhere else and only used one of the shields two front clamps so shield sits all the way back, resting against the receiver. Since that portion of the barrel is wider, I think the retaining arms hold better. I had to remove a bit of material from the unused front clamp to fit around the Aridus nose piece.

While I was stippling the handguard, I got the bright idea of stippling the heat shield as well.

Whiskey
04-24-2024, 06:18 AM
I know GG&G isnt super popular here (knock off products being the reason I see) but their heat shield doesn't appear to be a knock off of someone else's product. Anybody have any hands on time with one?