PDA

View Full Version : Zero (or close to it) heel lift boots

Nate
10-31-2012, 06:59 AM
I've got a bit of an odd question about boots, but this seems to be the place for odd footwear questions... I shoot NRA high power, which has a standing slow fire stage. (Think silly coats, round targets, and amazing technicolor dream rifles) I've been wearing a pair of beefy Lowa hiking boots, which work great, but they're getting worn out and I'd like something with less heel lift, if possible, while still having the support of the Lowa.

So, is there a boot out there that's got a stiff sole and good ankle support (like on a backpacking boot) but with less heel lift than normal? (and ideally no heel lift?)

butler coach
10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
here is what i wear most of the time or i will wear a regular high boot.
Thorogood Boots: Waterproof Side Zip Combat Boots

why you so worried about the heel lift just find a place on your firing point where you toe is raised up and it levels you out.
yes i shoot a eliseo r5 rifle in 6mmbr that is a blue color.
this is my picture but wrong caption
http://www.nrablog.com/post/2012/08/09/Adelson-shines-amidst-Camp-Perry-clouds-at-NRA-High-Power-Rifle-Championship-in-Ohio.aspx

joshs
10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Most zero lift boots are also going to have a minimal sole, which is not going to be as stiff as traditional light hikers or military boots. I've been happy with Vivobarefoot's Off Road Hi boot. It's zero lift and has good ankle support, but the sole is very flexible.

Nate
10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
here is what i wear most of the time or i will wear a regular high boot.
why you so worried about the heel lift just find a place on your firing point where you toe is raised up and it levels you out.

The heel lift isn't too much of an issue if the firing point is flat, but if it slopes toward my toes (or, falls off a cliff like on firing points 101-107 on Viale), then I've got the heel lift and the slope working against me, and I spend the whole string trying to find my balance, and my scorer sounds like an angry German. NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

Josh, that's what I found, too. I'll check out the Vivos, though.

butler coach
10-31-2012, 09:31 AM
The heel lift isn't too much of an issue if the firing point is flat, but if it slopes toward my toes (or, falls off a cliff like on firing points 101-107 on Viale), then I've got the heel lift and the slope working against me, and I spend the whole string trying to find my balance, and my scorer sounds like an angry German. NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

Josh, that's what I found, too. I'll check out the Vivos, though.

an angry german. that is a good one i will be using it someday. were you ever near the australian guys i have never heard some one say F--- so many times as when they shoot a miss.

Nate
10-31-2012, 10:02 AM
an angry german. that is a good one i will be using it someday. were you ever near the australian guys i have never heard some one say F--- so many times as when they shoot a miss.

I ended up coaching and shooting with the Aussies in the NTT. That was a bunch of fun.

I29alpha
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
I've had great success with Adidas GSG9 boots. Flat bottom, no heel rise. Very comfy. I've had two pairs in the last 8 years used primarily for jumping. They hold up very well and are super comfy to wear all day.

Nik the Greek
10-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Most zero lift boots are also going to have a minimal sole, which is not going to be as stiff as traditional light hikers or military boots. I've been happy with Vivobarefoot's Off Road Hi boot. It's zero lift and has good ankle support, but the sole is very flexible.

A pair of superfeet insoles will fix lack of support in just about anything. They go in all my boots now.