PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Lucasfilm announces Star Wars Episode 7

Sparks2112
10-30-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't know how I feel. http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/10/30/star-wars-episode-7-coming-in-2015/

gstanfield
10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
oh dear God, please let it die....please. The original three films were great, but the Prequel wasn't worth seeing. I went to see two fo them, walked in in the middle of the second, never saw "episode three" at all.

I understand that hollywierd is completely out of new ideas, hence the remake of every TV show and movie from the 50's through the 80's but come on people, give it a rest.

There, I think I know how I feel:D

Sparks2112
10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
oh dear God, please let it die....please. The original three films were great, but the Prequel wasn't worth seeing. I went to see two fo them, walked in in the middle of the second, never saw "episode three" at all.

I understand that hollywierd is completely out of new ideas, hence the remake of every TV show and movie from the 50's through the 80's but come on people, give it a rest.

There, I think I know how I feel:D

Episode 3 made sitting through 1 and 2 justifiable. IMO.

JConn
10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Stop ruining my childhood favorites!!!

G60
10-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Honestly, I don't think they'll do any worse than what George Luke-ass has been doing to the franchise since 1997 (1983 for those that hated ROtJ, ewoks, and all that.)

secondstoryguy
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
The fact that Disney is at the helm of the Star Wars franchise just taints it for me. Lucas and his later Jar Jar infested kids movies were weak sauce, but they at least still had the original bloodline involved in their production. Disney excels at producing drug addicted worn out child stars and animated movies for 6 year olds, but not anything even remotely to the scale of Star Wars.

HCL3
10-30-2012, 11:03 PM
This was the first thing hat popped into my head when I read that story (probably NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMkvnyLYU4

For some context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Hat

LHS
10-30-2012, 11:18 PM
When you wish upon a Death Star...

But in all seriousness, they can't very well run the franchise any further into the ground than Lucas did himself.

Joe in PNG
10-31-2012, 01:41 AM
Well, if it gives Mr. Plinkett (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/) more ammo for his reviews, then bring on the tshi*!

*means "disappointment in the cooking of the duck meat".

Chemsoldier
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
The fact that Disney is at the helm of the Star Wars franchise just taints it for me. Lucas and his later Jar Jar infested kids movies were weak sauce, but they at least still had the original bloodline involved in their production. Disney excels at producing drug addicted worn out child stars and animated movies for 6 year olds, but not anything even remotely to the scale of Star Wars.

Disney has produced some surprisingly quality films in recent years like "Meet the Robinsons" to counterbalance some crap movies while Lucas hasnt produced a decent film since Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (which he didnt direct).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lucas_filmography

Tamara
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM

I really liked the last Disney movie I saw. You might have heard of it. It was called The Avengers (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/10/30/quick-thoughts-on-disney-buying-lucasfilm/). ;)

I agree with Scalzi; getting free of Lucas is the best thing that could have happened to the Star Wars universe, which hasn't had a good thirty seconds of screen time since the first Ewok set foot on the screen...

orionz06
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
http://yawgurt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/himym-ewok-line-slide-deck-barney-powerpoint-psentation-How-I-Met-Your-Mother.png

Nik the Greek
10-31-2012, 12:08 PM
I thought this was a hoax at first. I have to agree with Tam though- Disney's stable of studios is capable of producing excellent films, though Avengers might be down to Whedon more than anything else. Hopefully in the wake of John Carter they won't be too risk averse.

LHS
10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
http://yawgurt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/himym-ewok-line-slide-deck-barney-powerpoint-psentation-How-I-Met-Your-Mother.png

I freaking hate Ewoks, and I was born several years after that cutoff.

Zhurdan
10-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Yub yub! Now where are some stormtrooper helmets for me to drum on?

All in all, RotJ was a great movie, regardless of the midgety Yogi's fuming up the place with their stupid antics.

Hopefully they won't finish off the Star Wars name with something "light and fluffy", but go dark... really dark with the next installment. As in "Why so serious son?" dark. It did great things for the Batman series, albeit for a different studio.

tremiles
10-31-2012, 04:21 PM
1. Do not bring back Mark Hamill in some nostalgic old wise Jedi Master role. There's a reason we haven't seen him in alot of roles outside of Star Wars and animated Cartoon Network crap. It's not because he's picky and passes on roles later offered to Daniel Day Lewis.

2. On that same note, I wouldn't mind seeing Hayden Christensen get his legs cut off and burned alive in lava again. Too bad Vader is dead.

3. Limit the CGI. It should enhance the film, not be the focus. Yoda flipping around with his lightsaber from ground to ceiling was funny. Not funny haha, funny stupid.

4. Do not tap James Cameron to be involved in any way.

5. Joss Wheldon would be perfect if he had not already made Star Wars...er...Firefly. Better than 1,2,3,6 I would add. With no budget. And real acting.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

jetfire
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
What Firefly were you watching? Because it was fun and everything, but the acting was pretty hammy at best.

tremiles
10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
The one where they did this borderline job, and Wash said something funny, and Jayne was a stupid ogre who could betray them, and there was tension between Mal and Inara, Shepard Book took the moral high-ground while ambiguously referring to his former life as an operative, and the ship broke, Kaylee fixed it and looked longingly at Simon, then River wigged out, and Zoe stood around following orders.

That one.

JConn
10-31-2012, 06:31 PM
The one where they did this borderline job, and Wash said something funny, and Jayne was a stupid ogre who could betray them, and there was tension between Mal and Inara, Shepard Book took the moral high-ground while ambiguously referring to his former life as an operative, and the ship broke, Kaylee fixed it and looked longingly at Simon, then River wigged out, and Zoe stood around following orders.

That one.

So funny. So true

Tamara
10-31-2012, 08:25 PM

That one.

LOL! :D

It's like going to the zoo: Either you're happy to see the giraffes again or you're not. ;)

Nik the Greek
10-31-2012, 09:03 PM
I dunno, Out of Gas and Objects In Space were some pretty good tv. The Shindig has some amazing one liners too.

Edit: Mark Hamill isn't an amazing actor, but I had heard that the reason he didn't have a career was because he got into an accident that required extensive facial reconstruction.

Timbonez
10-31-2012, 11:19 PM
I dunno, Out of Gas and Objects In Space were some pretty good tv. The Shindig has some amazing one liners too.

Edit: Mark Hamill isn't an amazing actor, but I had heard that the reason he didn't have a career was because he got into an accident that required extensive facial reconstruction.

You can see where he has a scare on his face in Return of the Jedi.

tremiles
11-01-2012, 06:04 AM
LOL! :D

It's like going to the zoo: Either you're happy to see the giraffes again or you're not. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I loved the show. But the themes of each episode were fairly similar.

orionz06
11-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I freaking hate Ewoks, and I was born several years after that cutoff.

The Ewoks made that movie. So awesome in fact they spawned their own movies. Who can argue that?

ford.304
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I grew up watching Ewok cartoons, but I'm still ready to admit they made the movie weaker. Still, the non-ewok parts of the movie are pretty awesome, and the ewok celebration at the end is a million times better than the remake version.

As for firefly... is there any good show that you can't put into that level of a summary for each episode? Hell, even The Wire can boil down to "they try to crack a real case, but don't get support from Brass. McNulty gets himself in trouble, gets drunk, and sleeps with someone. Stringer Bell says something that makes him sound intelligent, Bunk smokes a cigar and says something funny, and then Omar does something ridiculously awesome. In the end, nothing good happens for anyone, because you can't beat the system."

Chemsoldier
11-01-2012, 09:26 AM

This.

By and large, all TV is flawed, shows are constructed by people who make TV shows for a living not by people who know anything about the subject area of the show. We all know this from watching the gun handling in most TV shows. Even the better ones are full of issues. In sci-fi NO ONE knows that much about the subject matter. With that caveat, Firefly was an amazingly well done show. It had an emotional depth combined with humor. It was a character driven show not an FX driven show before sci-fi offerings like Battlestar Galactica came along. Also worth noting is despite the writer being a flaming hippie, it was one of the most pro-freedom modern TV shows I have ever seen.

TCinVA
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
An evil galactic empire headed by a supernatural villain who could shoot lightning out of his fingers and assisted by a mangled cyborg commanding the resources to build a space ship the size of a moon that can destroy planets in a single shot gets brought down by Teddy Ruxpin clones.

Yeah.

Right.

I'm sure that under the right circumstances Ms. Brown's 2nd grade class could take down the 82nd Airborne Division, too. Using only glue sticks and pencil boxes.

Disney taking the franchise might be a good thing. Lucas turned Vader into an angsty emo teenager with mommy issues that never got better. Maybe Disney can un-screw the franchise.

Sparks2112
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm praying Joss Whedon get's a call:

Disney: "Mr. Whedon, we need you to fix Star Wars."

Whedon: "Excellent."

Anyway, excuse me. I need some private time now. ;)

NickA
11-01-2012, 09:51 AM
2. On that same note, I wouldn't mind seeing Hayden Christensen get his legs cut off and burned alive in lava again. Too bad Vader is dead.

This. A lot.
I much prefer the evil Dark Lord to the sniveling little whiner.

Tamara
11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
An evil galactic empire headed by a supernatural villain who could shoot lightning out of his fingers and assisted by a mangled cyborg commanding the resources to build a space ship the size of a moon that can destroy planets in a single shot gets brought down by Teddy Ruxpin clones.

Dude, both Death Stars were obviously inside jobs that were allowed to happen in order to provide a pretext for further expansion and seizing the tibanna gas deposits on Hoth and Endor.

Sparks2112
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
You can see where he has a scare on his face in Return of the Jedi.

Is it the scene where he finds out he's been practicing his light saber moves to his sister? ;)

Zhurdan
11-01-2012, 10:37 AM
My bad.

ToddG
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Please keep the discussion PG-rated. Thank you.

NickA
11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Just heard from some guy on the radio: "unfortunately there's no small exhaust port on the Disney corporation we can drop a bomb down to stop this thing."
Pretty funny.

JAD
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Someone should tell Iger...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvexACqGoA0p7AkMHzoOAXN1t4ek4rc IKXWmXtPKzQfUmgRM4g4Q

It's a trap.

[Because this is the internet]

Sparks2112
11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
And Lucas has announced he's donating his proceeds from the sale to help fund education in America. It takes a pretty big man to give away 4 BILLION dollars to charity. I regret ever bad thing I thought about the man.

BWT
11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I think it's a good thing, honestly.

Disney put out The Avengers, Thor, Ironman, etc. The Pixar movies we've seen lately. They buy studios and let them do their thing.

I think Lucas getting his hands out of it is a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_V:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back

A lot of people loved Empire, and it wasn't directed by Lucas, largely IIRC, as he was going through a divorce at the time.

Joe in PNG
11-03-2012, 02:34 AM
I hope they take Timothy Zahn and stick him in a room with Laurence Kasdian. Once they finish writing a story, find a good director and get to it.