PDA

View Full Version : Any LCR fans?

Rustin
10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Greetings all.

I've been cruising this forum for quite some time and I've found it a great source for edc revolver information. However, it seems the overwhelming preference in small snubbies leans toward the Smith J frame series. I know the gun has been around for a while so it's got a track record to be envied, but in my own personal experience, I've found the LCR to be a wonderful, diminuitve package. The trigger was the real selling point to me but I've grown fond of it's size and shootability. I've got the .38 version but I hope to aquire the .357 version as a backup/belt gun.

With it's unloaded weight at 13 0z with the boot grips, and still under a pound fully loaded, I find myself carrying this little revolver everywhere I go. It's handy size combined with a reasonably potent cartridge and unfailing reliability makes it really hard for me to want to go back to the autos. I'd still like to get a j frame to the range but I'm content with my LCR as it is.

So, any LCR fans out there? Any stories or experiences you'd like to share? How do you carry and in what holster? Pics are very much welcomed.:cool:

Dagga Boy
10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
The LCR is my favorite small revolver. I prefer it to the J frame Smiths. Mine is usually carried in a TT Gunleather pocket holster, I have a front appendix holster from Desbiens that is great, but I will probably sell because I really don't carry the LCR as a primary, and it gets thrown in lots of little bags as a back up or secondary (or third) pistol.

Jay Cunningham
10-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I have an LCR and I like it just fine. You do need to be very conscious of allowing the trigger all the way out after you shoot because it can be easy to short-stroke it.

ACP230
10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
The trigger on the LCR bugs me.
I have seen it described as "good" but to me that word does not apply to it.
So, have no plans to buy one.

jc000
10-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I have been toying with the idea of picking up a .22 revolver for a cheap plinker. The LCR-22 looks interesting--I've handled one, but not been able to shoot it yet. I'm hoping it could be viable as a LEM trainer, mainly to work my rolling break. Anyway, the LCR series does look interesting. I wouldn't rule out one of the larger calibers as opposed to an S&W j-frame.

jon volk
10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I have been toying with the idea of picking up a .22 revolver for a cheap plinker. The LCR-22 looks interesting--I've handled one, but not been able to shoot it yet. I'm hoping it could be viable as a LEM trainer, mainly to work my rolling break. Anyway, the LCR series does look interesting. I wouldn't rule out one of the larger calibers as opposed to an S&W j-frame.

In that same mindset, I've been eyeing taurus pt22's. DAO semi auto 22's seem to be a rare breed.

ares338
11-01-2012, 07:31 AM
I have the LCR 357 and I really like it. First of all, the trigger is great, it conceals easily in my front pocket, is accurate out to 15 yds (which for me is good) and although the recoil on stout magnum loads is troublesome for some I have no problem with it. For me the trigger pull feels better than any S&W I tried except for one that had a trigger job.

Tamara
11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
The only thing I don't like about the LCR is the recoil. I think the factory trigger is better than the hot gritty mess you get with an out-of-the-box J-frame and, were I starting from scratch, Ruger's cylinder release makes more ergonomic sense than Smiths, but all the time learning to drive a Smith is pretty much sunk costs for me now.

I think the obsession with making flyweight revolver frames out of riboflavin is wrong-headed, though. You can't put enough .357 Magnum ammo for realistic practice through a 13-oz. wheelgun without fracturing small bones in your hand, and even +P .38 is almost prohibitively unpleasant when you get down into that weight class. Seriously, how much lighter than a 16oz J-frame Airweight do you need to get?

TGS
11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
The only thing I don't like about the LCR is the recoil. I think the factory trigger is better than the hot gritty mess you get with an out-of-the-box J-frame and, were I starting from scratch, Ruger's cylinder release makes more ergonomic sense than Smiths, but all the time learning to drive a Smith is pretty much sunk costs for me now.

I think the obsession with making flyweight revolver frames out of riboflavin is wrong-headed, though. You can't put enough .357 Magnum ammo for realistic practice through a 13-oz. wheelgun without fracturing small bones in your hand, and even +P .38 is almost prohibitively unpleasant when you get down into that weight class. Seriously, how much lighter than a 16oz J-frame Airweight do you need to get?

Tam,

What grips was the LCR wearing that you fired?

I'm curious because the LCR I fired has the standard Hogue Tamer boot grip (not the smooth boot grip on the XS sight version) and it was exceedingly comfortable compared to any other snub I've owned or fired. Along with the trigger, the comfortable recoil is the biggest selling point of the LCR over an Airweight J-frame.

IIRC, the 357 is 17oz, not 13oz.

Rustin,

I much prefer the LCR over the J-frame. Given the ability to spend upwards of a thousand dollars I would rather have a J with custom sights, an Apex trigger and good grips comfortable grips that handle recoil, but for just over $400 you can get an LCR with XS sights, good grips and a decent trigger. Sure, not everyone's favorite sight, but it sure beats anything the J-frame offers at the same price.

The only reason I bought a 642 over the LCR is because the 642 can be had for dirt cheap on the 2nd hand market.

Tamara
11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Tam,

What grips was the LCR wearing that you fired?

Whatever the base model grips were from the factory, I think? I was at the range when Frank James came by with his T&E sample some years back and he let me run a few cylinders through it. It was a .38, and the only really distinctive thing I remember about it was that I just couldn't find a grip that didn't have the thing torquing in my hand annoyingly.

Dave J
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
...you can get an LCR with XS sights, good grips and a decent trigger. Sure, not everyone's favorite sight...

FWIW, Novak's has front sight options for the LCR now with a big tritium or fiber optic dot, that's in a conventional square sight, instead of the rounded XS profile.

Of course, I noticed this in the Brownell's catalog about ten minutes after I'd finished installing an XS front sight on my LCR.

Tamara
11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Of course, I noticed this in the Brownell's catalog about ten minutes after I'd finished installing an XS front sight on my LCR.

Story of my life, right there.

UNK
11-03-2012, 04:50 AM
I don't think the recoil is the same between a LCR and a J- frame scandium when shooting 38. I think the LCR has more felt recoil.

Jay Cunningham
11-03-2012, 05:08 AM
I consider a CT laser mandatory on any snubbie.

Tamara
11-03-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't think the recoil is the same between a LCR and a J- frame scandium when shooting 38. I think the LCR has more felt recoil.

If God wanted me to shoot revolvers lighter than a steel-cylindered Airweight, he'd have put more padding over the bone at the base of my thumb.

TNWNGR
11-03-2012, 03:05 PM
If God wanted me to shoot revolvers lighter than a steel-cylindered Airweight, he'd have put more padding over the bone at the base of my thumb.

Good one Tam. :D The S&W J Frame Airweight is the lightest 38 Special I'll play around with but I'm more comfortable with the weight of a Charter Arm's all steel Undercover. Of course the problem with that is the Charter Arms Undercover isn't a S&W M-36 or M-37...sigh...:(

FotoTomas
11-09-2012, 09:56 AM
My S&W 638 meets my needs and I have had it many years. No desire or need for a LCR .38/.357.

On the other hand a LCR .22 is sparking some interest as well as a SR.22. Might give up my .22/45 for that pair. :)

jar
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
The out of the box trigger feels better on the LCR, but the sights track funny and there's a weird false reset on the trigger that locks the cylinder up if you pull the trigger from it. Similarly short stroking a smith only skips a chamber.

1 old 0311
11-16-2012, 01:32 PM
13 ounces for a .38? WAY too heavy. Here is a .357 at 11 ounces.:cool: True with a HOT .357 round it feels like getting hit in the palm with a bat by Hank Arron.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/kcq1/P1030056.jpg

Tamara
11-17-2012, 01:05 PM
13 ounces for a .38? WAY too heavy. Here is a .357 at 11 ounces.:cool:

If you shoot that riboflavin-framed .357 enough to maintain anything remotely like proficiency with it, you'll be the first person I've met who owns one that does so.

Chuck Haggard
11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
If you shoot that riboflavin-framed .357 enough to maintain anything remotely like proficiency with it, you'll be the first person I've met who owns one that does so.

Quoted for truth.

JodyH
11-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I shoot my 11oz unobtanium/scandium/titanium S&W 360 regularly... with .38 target wadcutters.
Mines actually closer to 10oz since I bobbed the hammer and gutted the lock.
357 magnums... hell nah!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

breakingtime91
11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
I just purchased a LCR in 357. I liked it a lot and plan on just replacing the front sight and putting crimson traces on it and investing in 38 special for practice/carry. A little of a side note, i got the 357 version for the extra weight to ease up follow up shots with 38 wadcutters.

E

Jhp147
11-25-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm just watching this thread with interest. I have a 642 no dash that I thought I'd never give up on an put up with the POA/POI being different and the crummy front sight for years...kept telling myself it was light, handy, and good enough for belly gun ranges. Now after shooting my Shield I've decided I want a more shootable revolver and have looked at a couple of the newer Smiths and the LCR-which I thought might be a better answer. I'd like to see if anyone else switched and regretted it or what.

Rustin
02-17-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm just watching this thread with interest. I have a 642 no dash that I thought I'd never give up on an put up with the POA/POI being different and the crummy front sight for years...kept telling myself it was light, handy, and good enough for belly gun ranges. Now after shooting my Shield I've decided I want a more shootable revolver and have looked at a couple of the newer Smiths and the LCR-which I thought might be a better answer. I'd like to see if anyone else switched and regretted it or what.

Well, there have been many people who have converted to the LCR after years of dependability from their J frames. Now that the Apex kit has come along I find the Smith more appealing, but the smoothness of the LCR trigger is just so much better than a stock anything revolver. You can also get a .357 version without having to spend twice as much. I think I'm gonna get the .357 version, then someday get a J frame .38 and put the APEX in it. If you aren't shooting the J frame proficiently, go ahead and trade up, I don't think you would be dissapointed.

Chuck Haggard
02-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Found a good price on an LCR in .22lr flavor, bought it on a whim.

Shot it several hundred rounds the first time I tried it out, 100% ignition, shoots to POA really well, trigger is decent. I ran it on our qual (KS C-POST standards) and shot 100% with all but a couple from the 25 yard line in the "pie plate". Draw from hand on the gun in the pocket, weak side, one hand shooting, failure drills at the 3 yard line are coming in with all hits in the appropriate circles on the IALEFI Q target in under 2 seconds.

Made a nice pocket BUG loaded with Stingers on my trip to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago.

I wish that Ruger had made the new .22mag version in a 7 or 8 shot capacity, not sure why they went with it being a 6 shooter. Anyway, not I might pick up a .38 even though I still really like my 642s.

My only bitch is the grips. The Houges are too grippy and kind of fat, the Crimson Trace a bit small for my tastes. If they made a 305 sized CT grip for the LCR I would be chopping in tall cotton.

Savage Hands
02-17-2013, 11:47 PM
My next firearm purchases will be an LCR, but I'm still debating on the 38 or 22.

Chuck Haggard
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
My next firearm purchases will be an LCR, but I'm still debating on the 38 or 22.

You need both. Just sayin.

Savage Hands
02-18-2013, 11:23 AM
You need both. Just sayin.

My pocket book is telling me no, but my mind is telling me yes :cool:

jd24876
03-17-2013, 08:03 PM
It's a great pistol, I prefer my wife's LCR to my 442.

--
JD

tomrkba
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM

I'm fully proficient with it. I practice rapid fire shooting at six, twelve and twenty four inches. I typically get four to six inch groups.

MGW
03-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Is $400 for a used .38 version a good price? Seems a little high but considering their are no new ones to be found...

JV_
03-22-2013, 07:44 PM
I've seen them (online) for $420, with a $25 shipping fee.

That's not a bad deal.

JHC
03-22-2013, 07:57 PM
My .22LR was about $360 last Dec. The .38's were the same. The laser equipped much more of course. Dawsonville Gun.