PDA

View Full Version : Best Significant Other....

jthhapkido
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
So, I just came back from the Rogers Shooting School, and find that my wife, while I was gone, bought me...

....a Dillon Super 1050.

I love my wife. :D :D :D

What the best shooting thing your significant other has done for you?

VolGrad
03-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Not made an issue of it every time I tell her about "this class that's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I can't miss it". She knows it usually means $ and being gone all weekend. I have to stop using that "once in a lifetime" line though. Even I don't believe that any more. :cool:

JV_
03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

15 cases of 9mm showed up, via UPS, and my wife said she was glad I had a hobby that I enjoyed.

Tamara
03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Pfft. Mine sponsored me my last two Awerbuck classes so he wouldn't have to go alone. :p

gtmtnbiker98
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Where do you find these women? All my wife does is "bitch" about my hobby.

jthhapkido
03-29-2011, 12:53 PM

My wife is also a shooter, so that makes it really nice. Don't really need to do any explaining to go to competitions or a training class, or to buy equipment.

Granted, it is a bit more expensive---she is fine with me buying new guns. However, for each new gun I get, she gets a new one also. :)

ToddG

Said, "Yes," when I suggested doing this instead of getting a real job. :cool:

JV_

Every now and then, when I'm more grumpy than usual, my wife suggests that I go to the range. LOL. She can tell if I miss it ... it's like my reset button.

rsa-otc
03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
On my birthday 12 days before we got married she gave me a gun that I remarked I would like to have. She has insisted that she bought that gun for me to shoot and not sit in the safe. 25 years and many thousands of rounds later it just has been retired. Only recently I have retired that gun to the safe since it just started to give me trouble (hope the wife doesn't go the same way; LOL) up to this point it was completely trouble free.

Two years ago with the kids grown she insisted that I start competing again and thus my IDPA career was born.:)

David
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Held up the targets after I ran out of staples.

LittleLebowski
03-29-2011, 01:08 PM

We should close the thread on that one.....

SLG
03-29-2011, 01:17 PM
On my birthday 12 days before we got married she gave me a gun that I remarked I would like to have. She has insisted that she bought that gun for me to shoot and not sit in the safe. 25 years and many thousands of rounds later it just has been retired. Only recently I have retired that gun to the safe since it just started to give me trouble (hope the wife doesn't go the same way; LOL) up to this point it was completely trouble free.

Two years ago with the kids grown she insisted that I start competing again and thus my IDPA career was born.:)

So what was the gun?

My wife has done too many great things for me to list here, but the latest was a Kimber Talkeetna, waiting for me when I got home from a couple of weeks on the road. Of course the best thing she did was give us our daughter:D I guess that's not really a shooting thing, but in a few years she will be:-)

orionz06
03-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Random stuff I can recall as of late:

Bought me the Vickers Carbine I&II Blu-Ray set.
Said "OK" to an SBR because I said it would be lighter for her to shoot.
Bought me an Aimpoint.
Cleans the house when I go shooting.
Puts up with my kydex projects in the kitchen oven.

MechEng
03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
She lets me soften Kydex in the kitchen over. The first time, I followed the strategy “It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission”, and she surprisingly didn’t object to bad….as long as I promised to buy her a new cookie sheet. :rolleyes:

JV_
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
she surprisingly didn’t object to bad….as long as I promised to buy her a new cookie sheet. :rolleyes:

Put a piece of aluminum foil on top of the cookie sheet.

rsa-otc
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
So what was the gun?

S&W Mdl 645 2nd Gen 45 acp DA/SA auto, It was when they first came out. That gun was perfect thru 30,000 plus rounds.

VolGrad
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Every now and then, when I'm more grumpy than usual, my wife suggests that I go to the range. LOL. She can tell if I miss it ... it's like my reset button.

I get that one a lot too. Sometimes I just act grumpy so the range is her idea. :cool:

NickA
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Manages our $ so that I have plenty to indulge in shooting classes, competition and not feel like I'm hurting the family budget. Helps that she works at the bank and gets her hands on my paychecks almost before I do :) also pretends to be interested when I go on about shooting-related nonsense.

JV_
03-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I get that one a lot too. Sometimes I just act grumpy so the range is her idea. :cool:

LOL. I don't have to act :)

Pistol Shooter
03-29-2011, 02:06 PM
My wife is an avid shooter and often my range partner. She gave me this for Christmas. :)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN1261.jpg

turbolag23
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM

that is a good question. i'd like to know as well.
girlfriend instead of wife though. I told her that currently guns are cheaper than my other hobbies. somehow that didnt make it better.

haha

VolGrad
03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
It also helps if your wife's friends are all married to losers, are divorced from losers ... some twice, etc. These guys all make me look good. Whenever I start to sense she is getting tired of "gun stuff" I steer the convo toward one of her friends significant others. It doesn't take long before I'm GtG again.

Prdator
03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
It also helps if your wife's friends are all married to losers, are divorced from losers ... some twice, etc. These guys all make me look good. Whenever I start to sense she is getting tired of "gun stuff" I steer the convo toward one of her friends significant others. It doesn't take long before I'm GtG again.

I use this Method as well!!!!!!!! Awesome!!:D

NickA
03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I'll third that, but I don't even have to try. Hardly a week goes by without her telling me about somebody's husband running up the credit card or whatever. Staggering how many people have CC debt that runs into 5 figures, mostly spent on useless shit. Makes me look like an angel though.

I use this Method as well!!!!!!!! Awesome!!:D

willowofwisp
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Hmm my gf is pretty sweet...she has bought me ammo numerous times, bought me a glock 26 magazine for vday and she is paying for half of my MSA-sordin ear pros im picking up next month.

YVK
03-29-2011, 07:49 PM
David, you crack me up, man.

Best thing mine has done is never ask how much money I have in this stuff. I have to deal with fainting people at work all the time; I find it very thoughtful of her to let me take a break from this at home.

David
03-30-2011, 02:54 AM
David, you crack me up, man.

Staples are expensive, the shooting on the move drills take a little more concentration since she can really run.

Slavex
03-30-2011, 04:08 AM
David, classic dude, classic.

My wife rocks, I get gift certificates for Sinclairs for my birthday, WinterFest, anniversary etc. Plus she doesn't mind me traveling all over the planet (without her either) to shoot. She also never ever complains about the money I spend on guns, ammo and gear. All that and she thought the same thing when we were looking at our house 6 years ago, "that room would make a great gun room".
The only thing that would make her happier is if we won the lottery so she could give me more gun stuff. Seriously, she says that. Love her more than I can express, I think I'm going to get flowers for her tomorrow.

MTechnik
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I made the mistake of getting an anti-gun wife before getting any guns.

So the best thing she did for me was buy me a gun safe so I could bring my guns home from my friends' house where I kept them.

Second best was okaying a 3-day training down in NC (5 hour drive) for me this June.

Third best was THEN okaying a 2-day defensive handgun class 2 weeks ago, on short notice.

So, she's been pretty good to me.

rsa-otc
03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Of course the best thing she did was give us our daughter:D I guess that's not really a shooting thing, but in a few years she will be:-)

Dude absolutely:

The shooting buddy my wife presented to me 21 years ago this May.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/rsa-otc/bri1.jpg

BTW thats my 45 on her side.

Here the other one she presented me 24 years ago November.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/rsa-otc/ken2.jpg

He prefers the revolver.

SecondsCount
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
So, I just came back from the Rogers Shooting School, and find that my wife, while I was gone, bought me...

....a Dillon Super 1050.

I love my wife. :D :D :D

Mine did something very similar last year.

I came home from a hunting trip and found a Dillon 650 with the case feeder waiting for me. She admits that the "gift" was somewhat selfish because it came setup in 45ACP, her caliber of choice. :D

superr.stu
03-30-2011, 08:58 PM
After she realized that if she bitched or not I would still go shooting she...

Has sent me to two VSM classes, and supplied the ammo.

Gave me a check already made out for a third class.

Last class when I was leaving she gave me a Brokos belt saying "it might rain again".

The best though...She got herself a gen 3 glock 17 two weeks ago, her first gun.

SLG
03-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Dude absolutely:

The shooting buddy my wife presented to me 21 years ago this May.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/rsa-otc/bri1.jpg

BTW thats my 45 on her side.

Here the other one she presented me 24 years ago November.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/rsa-otc/ken2.jpg

He prefers the revolver.

Very cool, you must have done something right to get two shooters.

rsa-otc
03-31-2011, 06:06 AM
Very cool, you must have done something right to get two shooters.

Thank You.

I can and do brag about them all the time. Most of the credit goes to my wife and the positive direction she has given them. Not an avid shooter herself she made sure that if they were interested they got time for the shooting sports. Including bring them to the range to watch daddy teach when they were very young. I've got a good wife and try hard not to screw it up. And being me that's a challenge.:o

part-time shooter
03-31-2011, 06:09 AM

^ is what my wife does as well. Something about money better spent going to a 3rd world country to sit on a beach and drink $5 bottle beer...that was her preferred option. :p

dirt_diver
03-31-2011, 04:37 PM

You devious SOB.
Though I must admit while I don't use it to get shooting perks, ie range time, I do use it sometimes to get out of my very own personalized dog house.

JodyH
03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
My wife likes to shoot, competes in matches and has taken a few classes herself (and is a NRA Instructor).
It's not all it's cracked up to be though.
Anytime I buy a new gun, I have to buy her one as well.
And don't even think about trying to sneak one of "her" guns out to shoot it.
My ammo budget has to be shared as well.

ToddG
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3ED6-0j7uZY/SgO7gW8htcI/AAAAAAAAAFc/oMO1JyfKe8g/s400/weak+sauce.jpg

jthhapkido
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
My wife likes to shoot, competes in matches and has taken a few classes herself (and is a NRA Instructor).

Yep. Mine too. Just finished the Glock Armorer class, too. (Mostly because she wanted to buy two guns a year at the cheaper price, instead of just one through GSSF.)

It's not all it's cracked up to be though.
Anytime I buy a new gun, I have to buy her one as well.
And don't even think about trying to sneak one of "her" guns out to shoot it.

I don't have to share my ammo budget. On the other hand, she makes more than I do, so that is only fair. :)

DonovanM
06-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Noone in this thread has mentioned where they've found these magnificent examples of the fairer sex... thoughts???

JHC
06-18-2011, 07:08 PM

OMG 30 years ago . . . ditto. But they come around. Feb for our 30th she gave me a vintage 4" nickel M19 and a RTF2 G17 to bookend three decades.

MD7305
06-18-2011, 08:05 PM
My wife (girlfriend at the time) initially did not appreciate my fondness of firearms. Her father and brother were hunters but she couldn't understand why I "needed" so many guns and so much ammo. I could never justify it to her, whether I said they were "collectible" or necessary for protection, she never bought it. After we were married she began to slowly appreciate firearms more and has even gone shooting with me a few times. She understands the need for protection and the joy of recreational/competitive shooting. Her attitude about it has changed a lot but I try to do my part by not going overboard on the financial side of things. Since I've put most of my focus on shooting/training more versuses acquiring more guns she's warmed up even more. So much that a couple months ago she bought me a P30 to celebrate a promotion I received. She lets me budget money for training and it helps having her support. The only downside is I've had to learn to appreciate scarpbooking and interior decorating.....it's give and take.

CCT125US
06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
In her quest for a new firearm my wife come across the P30..... I had owned a USP .45 many years ago but still wanted to get some feed back on this "new" gun. Well that led me to Todd's P30 Thursday gun test and this forum. Then most recently I was able to pick mine up for fathers day. I did not have the chance to tell her just yet.... so when she asked what I wanted for fathers day, I got a big grin and said that I was thoughtful and saved her a trip to the store. She then said "as long as you didn't get the P30 I won't punch you in the balls". I informed her that doing that to me while driving would not be good for her as well...... she then suggested we go to the range on fathers day and try it out.

And by the way we met at Ohio State back in '97 and actually passed the "hmmm this might work out test" when she told me she loved the smell of gunpowder and picked up my brass.... I almost proposed on the spot. And yes it was a test...

JM Campbell
06-20-2011, 08:56 AM
In her quest for a new firearm my wife come across the P30..... I had owned a USP .45 many years ago but still wanted to get some feed back on this "new" gun. Well that led me to Todd's P30 Thursday gun test and this forum. Then most recently I was able to pick mine up for fathers day. I did not have the chance to tell her just yet.... so when she asked what I wanted for fathers day, I got a big grin and said that I was thoughtful and saved her a trip to the store. She then said "as long as you didn't get the P30 I won't punch you in the balls". I informed her that doing that to me while driving would not be good for her as well...... she then suggested we go to the range on fathers day and try it out.

And by the way we met at Ohio State back in '97 and actually passed the "hmmm this might work out test" when she told me she loved the smell of gunpowder and picked up my brass.... I almost proposed on the spot. And yes it was a test...

Classic! Congrats!