PDA

View Full Version : B&T Suppressors?

MandoWookie
08-18-2023, 08:48 AM
Anyone got any time on B&T suppressors? I know they are relatively new to the market, but most seem pretty competitive on price.

I was specifically looking at the NATO attachment rifle suppressors as a first purchase.

WobblyPossum
08-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Anyone got any time on B&T suppressors? I know they are relatively new to the market, but most seem pretty competitive on price.

I was specifically looking at the NATO attachment rifle suppressors as a first purchase.

They’re new to the American market but B&T has been making suppressors for decades. They’re the OEM suppressor manufacturer for several European gun companies like Glock and HK. I just picked up an RBS 9 SQD but haven’t had a chance to put any rounds through it yet. Hopefully Monday.

overton
08-18-2023, 09:53 AM
really would like to see a comparison between Surefire (as the industry standard) and B&T (the new kid)!

BWT
08-21-2023, 09:52 AM
They’re very prevalent in Europe and have been for decades.

US adoption / availability has been limited / slow because of red tape.

I’d say make sure the B&T model fit your needs.

Magsz
08-25-2023, 07:20 PM
really would like to see a comparison between Surefire (as the industry standard) and B&T (the new kid)!

Griffin Armament put out some Youtube videos comparing different cans.

I believe they used one of B&T's Rotex cans. The numbers are abysmal.

overton
08-26-2023, 12:17 PM
Thanks! That sucks for Europeans who can basically choose between B&T and AseUtra.

MandoWookie
08-26-2023, 04:22 PM
Griffin Armament put out some Youtube videos comparing different cans.

I believe they used one of B&T's Rotex cans. The numbers are abysmal.

I don't know nothing from nothing, but I am hesitant to trust a test by a company about a competitors product.

MandoWookie
08-29-2023, 02:44 PM
Well, paperwork in, just waiting on approval. Went with a the 7.62 Rotex NATO.

It might not be the best can ever, but as long as it moderates .308 and .223 down to tolerable levels it will be acceptable, and the price was right.

First suppressor, so will see how it goes.

Magsz
08-29-2023, 11:14 PM
I don't know nothing from nothing, but I am hesitant to trust a test by a company about a competitors product.

It's your money brother.

They publish their testing protocol. I have no real reason to believe they're flubbing the testing protocol to weight the results in their favor. Stranger things have happened. Caveat Emptor I suppose.

WobblyPossum
08-30-2023, 12:19 PM
I got to fire half a magazine through my APC9 with the RBS9 SQD suppressor on it last week. I would have liked to fire more but ran out of time. All ammunition used was supersonic so things were obviously not as quiet as possible but a lot of the bite was taken out of the noise. I was still wearing ear protection. The only subsonic 9mm I currently have at the house is Winchester Ranger 147gr. I’ll fire a few rounds of that next time I have the opportunity to take the gun to the range. The APC9 is a straight blowback gun so it’s already got a lot of gas heading back into the action when fired. The reduced back pressure features of the suppressor worked as advertised. I didn’t notice any additional gas to the face. No burning of the eyes or anything. Next time I take the gun out, I also plan on firing groups at my zero distance with the suppressor indexed on each of the three lugs to see if there are any POI shifts.

MandoWookie
08-30-2023, 01:15 PM
It's your money brother.

They publish their testing protocol. I have no real reason to believe they're flubbing the testing protocol to weight the results in their favor. Stranger things have happened. Caveat Emptor I suppose.

With the full understanding that the B&T suppressors are 'older' tech, and thus probably aren't as efficient as newer ones out there, it had the features I was looking for, a price that I was comfortable with. It's primarily gonna live on a bolt action .308, occasionally on my ARs.
I'm primarily looking for something that makes shooting at my back field range less obnoxious for myself and the neighbors, and to moderate hearing loss for hunting.

El Cid
09-02-2023, 06:39 AM

Especially a company like Griffin whose sole claim to fame is ripping off other manufacturers’ designs.

MandoWookie
09-02-2023, 01:53 PM
Especially a company like Griffin whose sole claim to fame is ripping off other manufacturers’ designs.

Like I said, I don't know nothing about nothing. A 6 minute video comparison doesn't tell me much.
My attempt to research about different suppressors leads me to a lot of forums that seem to devolve into everyone throwing numbers at each other, with no one able to agree on how they got the numbers, where they got the numbers, or even what the numbers even mean, just that their numbers prove their can is the best.

There also seems to me to be a lot of drama in the suppressor market, why, I do not know.

Also apparently the new hotness is the flow thru cans, that I also recall a couple of years ago was mocked as being a gimmick, but now is what every company is making it seems.

And most discussions I have seen online either doesn't distinguish between B&Ts flow thru and conventional cans, or focuses entirely on the flow thru.

El Cid
09-03-2023, 05:59 AM
Like I said, I don't know nothing about nothing. A 6 minute video comparison doesn't tell me much.
My attempt to research about different suppressors leads me to a lot of forums that seem to devolve into everyone throwing numbers at each other, with no one able to agree on how they got the numbers, where they got the numbers, or even what the numbers even mean, just that their numbers prove their can is the best.

There also seems to me to be a lot of drama in the suppressor market, why, I do not know.

Also apparently the new hotness is the flow thru cans, that I also recall a couple of years ago was mocked as being a gimmick, but now is what every company is making it seems.

And most discussions I have seen online either doesn't distinguish between B&Ts flow thru and conventional cans, or focuses entirely on the flow thru.

As a stamp collector with several cans I can say that the sound performance and perception is challenging at best to quantify. Even measuring the decibels is different for the shooter than for someone beside the rifle. Ambient air makes a difference. Ammo type makes a difference. Barrel length makes a difference. And with rifles it’s even harder because most of it is supersonic.

Flow through cans do appear to be the future. They are better for the shooter in terms of health and distraction. They are better for the gun in terms of reliability and longevity of parts. But I suspect they are louder at the muzzle than traditional designs.

My comment about Griffin was based on their widely known behavior which shows a lack of integrity. I would not be even a little surprised if they were using reduced power hand loads for their can and full power for competitor cans. The best way to get a feel for which can you like is to try them. Some businesses like Capitol Armory will host events where you can try before you buy. But even then it’s possible to buy a can and have a better design come out on the market before yours has been released from NFA jail. Cans are a fun and frustrating way to spend money.

MandoWookie
09-03-2023, 08:56 AM
But even then itÂ’s possible to buy a can and have a better design come out on the market before yours has been released from NFA jail. Cans are a fun and frustrating way to spend money.

That's why I wasn't too concerned about the Rotex-X being 'old tech'. It uses NATO muzzle device attachment so I'm not locked into a proprietary mounting system for my first can, it's the only one on the market I can see that has that option for a 7.62 can, I didn't want direct thread as I did want to be able to use it on my ARs.
The price not being terrible didn't hurt.
I want a suppressor to moderate the blast down to a level I don't need to double up hearing protection when firing rifles, and to preserve some of it when hunting.

Undoubtedly if I will likely get more cans down the road if this one works out, probably a .22 can next.

Odin Bravo One
09-05-2023, 12:47 AM
How is their relationship with the customer after purchase? I ask simply because it’s proven to be relevant a time or two over the short time I’ve owned and used my own own suppressors. The suppressor sub-industry is, as a general rule, an absolute shit show of inflated claims, bullshit marketing, and flat out lies. And everyone makes a profit eve of shit product once in awhile.

How does one go about unfuxking a problem NFA item when the manufacturer is outside the U.S., and export of such an item is in violation of ITAR?

Everyone got their reasons for buying what they buy, but if price is the driving factor, you’re gonna find yourself paying a lot of money for what is likely to amount to unimpressive performance.

overton
09-05-2023, 02:11 AM
As far as European suppressor manufacturers are concerned, what really interests me, is how Ase Utra's cans stack up against Surefire & Co.
They are THE cans used by European police & military forces.

WobblyPossum
09-05-2023, 07:46 AM
How is their relationship with the customer after purchase? I ask simply because it’s proven to be relevant a time or two over the short time I’ve owned and used my own own suppressors. The suppressor sub-industry is, as a general rule, an absolute shit show of inflated claims, bullshit marketing, and flat out lies. And everyone makes a profit eve of shit product once in awhile.

How does one go about unfuxking a problem NFA item when the manufacturer is outside the U.S., and export of such an item is in violation of ITAR?

Everyone got their reasons for buying what they buy, but if price is the driving factor, you’re gonna find yourself paying a lot of money for what is likely to amount to unimpressive performance.

My understanding is that any B&T suppressor you can purchase in the USA is actually manufactured domestically in their Tampa, FL facility. They aren’t imported because that’s a huge legal hassle.

Odin Bravo One
09-13-2023, 08:37 AM
Yea, hopefully they do…….

I tend to let other folks beta test that sorta thing for me though. Especially when dropping a few hundred dollars and jumping through hoops.

Best wishes and enjoy your new gear!

MandoWookie
09-14-2023, 05:27 PM
Yea, hopefully they do…….

I tend to let other folks beta test that sorta thing for me though. Especially when dropping a few hundred dollars and jumping through hoops.

Best wishes and enjoy your new gear!

Well, shop had it in. An unexpected bonus, it came with a A2 NATO 7.62 flash hider, so I shouldn't have to worry about muzzle device compatibility with whatever 'A2' I otherwise would have had to buy.
Now it's just waiting until it's out of jail and see how it works out.

MandoWookie
02-28-2024, 09:03 PM
Minor update, finally got the approval. Gonna see if I can pick it up tomorrow. Probably going to be a week or so before I get a chance to try it out but I've waited this long, so not huge burden.

MandoWookie
02-29-2024, 07:38 PM
Got suppressor in hand. Looks good, locks up tight to both the NATO flash suppressor that came with it, and both my Colt uppers A2s.
Gonna drop by a local gunsmith and get all the guns it's gonna be used on checked out for bore alignment and muzzle device security before any shooting is done.
Pick up would have been no hassle, except I had to fight through the film crew that was using my LGS as a set.
I am actually shocked they were still open.
If I had a nickel for every time I had to fight through a film crew to get where I was going, I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird it's happened twice.
I ain't exactly in downtown LA out here.

MandoWookie
03-08-2024, 03:39 PM
Well, had the B&T flash hider it came with mounted on my Ruger .308 by the gunsmith, had the ARs checked for alignment too, all passed.
Today took it out, shot a few rounds through both.
First impression, it's okay. Wasn't expecting Hollywood quiet, and didn't get it. But, it definitely was much more pleasant than a bare muzzle on an 18in .308.
On the Colt 6920 I was much more impressed. Only shot 20 rounds, but didn't notice any excessive gas in the face, gun didn't feel overgassed(gun is entirely stock) and it moderated the blast and noise far more noticeably than it seemed for the 308.

I'm now pondering a .300 Blackout upper with subsonics to really take advantage of the possibilities....