PDA

View Full Version : 1897 chamber?

SteveThePirate
08-10-2023, 09:38 AM
I just picked up a used (and mismatched serial number) 1897 takedown for a great deal. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not the chambers need to be lengthened to properly shoot modern star-crimped plastic shells. I don't have the proper gauge on hand, but a rough measurement leads me to think that mine are slightly shorter than a true 2.75"

If cutting is necessary, does anyone have recommendations on who can properly work on these old shotguns? Someone local in Northern Virginia would be ideal, but I'd also be okay sending it out. Thanks!

Malamute
08-10-2023, 10:25 AM
I just picked up a used (and mismatched serial number) 1897 takedown for a great deal. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not the chambers need to be lengthened to properly shoot modern star-crimped plastic shells. I don't have the proper gauge on hand, but a rough measurement leads me to think that mine are slightly shorter than a true 2.75"

If cutting is necessary, does anyone have recommendations on who can properly work on these old shotguns? Someone local in Northern Virginia would be ideal, but I'd also be okay sending it out. Thanks!

There may be local shotgun gunsmiths near you that can tell you more. If theres trap, skeet or sporting clays courses nearby, or gun shops that cater to shotgun sports, they can tell if theres decent shotgun smiths nearby who can open up the chamber and forcing cones. I had two old guns done. I dont see the down side for shooting modern shells, but I may be under-informed. The forcing cones are abrupt in old guns, the more modern practice is longer, more gradual forcing cones. The theory as told to me in the 90s when dad was messing with shotguns was that doing it gives slightly less felt recoil, and I believe supposed to be slight improved patterns with modern shells.

Borderland
08-10-2023, 11:42 AM
I have my dad's 97. I don't shoot it but I believe they all have 2.75" chambers. My dad shot a truck load of 2.75" shells with it. It was his only shotgun.

Check with the Winchester Collectors Assn.

DamonL
08-10-2023, 11:58 AM
Try Northern Virginia Gun Works. They installed a mid bead on my shotgun, so they work on shotguns, but I dont know about the work you are asking for.

fatdog
08-10-2023, 12:37 PM
There was a date when all went from 2.5 to 2.75 but I don't remember when, back around the turn of the century or maye in the teens, my last CAS gun had a 2.5 and I had it cut for 2.75, although 2.5 shells are still made and available, including commercially loaded ammo.

Lengthening the chamber is not a difficult operation for a good gunsmith who is a real machinist. The guy who slicked up and built my last '97 for CAS competition was www.dustybunch.com out in AZ, oldwestrepair97@gmail.com, 520-568-2852

He is "the guy" in terms of fixing and tuning 1897's as far as I know, last job he did for me was back in 2015 and it was outstanding. He went through the whole gun and made it slicker than snot, very competitive when he got through with it and some parts he added/replaced that made it more durable.

Malamute
08-10-2023, 03:38 PM
I have my dad's 97. I don't shoot it but I believe they all have 2.75" chambers. My dad shot a truck load of 2.75" shells with it. It was his only shotgun.

Check with the Winchester Collectors Assn.

Id guess the 97s predominantly had shorter chambers, but I dont think its a huge issue for a relatively strong gun. The older shells had the roll crimped end with card over the shot, when the shell straightened out upon firing, there wasnt as much material sticking out forward. The star crimped shells have longer leftover case material, so the longer chamber/forcing cone allow it to unfold without encroaching on bore/shot/wad space as they passed through. I dont think its catastrophic to shoot the longer shells in the shorter chambers, just easier on the guns, generally better patterns, and maybe a little softer shooting.

I think the older chambers were actually closer to 2 5/8" long.

I want to be able to shoot any cheap shells i get from Walmart, K-mart, Yellow Front, TG&Y, or wherever (I probably still have shells from all those places). Im definitely in the "buy the cheap easily available field shells" camp on shotgun loads. I shoot very little shotgun stuff, and am just not into it all that much other than when shooting with dad years ago, and he bought the good shells for the skeet and sporting clays we did.

Borderland
08-10-2023, 05:38 PM
Id guess the 97s predominantly had shorter chambers, but I dont think its a huge issue for a relatively strong gun. The older shells had the roll crimped end with card over the shot, when the shell straightened out upon firing, there wasnt as much material sticking out forward. The star crimped shells have longer leftover case material, so the longer chamber/forcing cone allow it to unfold without encroaching on bore/shot/wad space as they passed through. I dont think its catastrophic to shoot the longer shells in the shorter chambers, just easier on the guns, generally better patterns, and maybe a little softer shooting.

I think the older chambers were actually closer to 2 5/8" long.

I want to be able to shoot any cheap shells i get from Walmart, K-mart, Yellow Front, TG&Y, or wherever (I probably still have shells from all those places). Im definitely in the "buy the cheap easily available field shells" camp on shotgun loads. I shoot very little shotgun stuff, and am just not into it all that much other than when shooting with dad years ago, and he bought the good shells for the skeet and sporting clays we did.

I don't remember exactly what type of ammo he was using except I know it was 2.75". Even then 2.75" was standard in the US. It was probably paper hulls, roll crimps and fiber wads. Time frame was 1958 ish.

Lots of 97 owners have probably lengthened their chambers. I don't think it was common back in the 50's. This one has 30 and 20" barrels with the same SN that match the receiver. Well worn.

https://i.ibb.co/17Kn9fj/Win97-E635179.jpg (https://ibb.co/BcjPgVF)

SteveThePirate
08-11-2023, 03:53 AM
Thanks everyone. This will probably be a 2024 project considering I'm spending a lot of effort and money on figuring out revolvers right now. I'm going to check out the recommended 'smiths and go from there.