PDA

View Full Version : Dog names?

LowAndLeft
07-25-2023, 04:27 PM
I finally agreed to get another dog after the heartbreak of losing two. It's either another Aussie, Collie (the two breeds we had before), or a breed new us, an English Shepherd (to me, looks like a collie mixed with a retriever). Anyway, we need an outdoorsy, western, or firearm/tactical name for a male dog. It won't be a working dog but will be on the trails with us hiking or mountain biking. I figured it's better to have the name narrowed down before the dog arrives. Thanks.

rd62
07-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Hondo or his dog's name, Sam

awp_101
07-25-2023, 04:50 PM
Anyway, we need an outdoorsy, western, or firearm/tactical name for a male dog.

Hank.

There Hank the Cowdog, our Border Collie mix was Hank E. Dog (damn I miss him!), Hank Williams Jr and his Ruger appreciation.

Lex Luthier
07-25-2023, 05:05 PM
Webley or Fosbery might suit a dog such as that.

Hector works too.

GJM
07-25-2023, 05:07 PM
Our first Vizsla was Rigby and second was Parker.

Clusterfrack
07-25-2023, 05:07 PM
Cujo

camel
07-25-2023, 05:17 PM
Clint.

dogcaller
07-25-2023, 05:23 PM
I have an aging Scout, Often called Scout-dog. He’s the bestboy.

I don’t know if I‘ll be up for another, once Scout passes—the pain is real—but if so, I like the name Cooper.

Pic of Scout-dog, being the bestboy, licking his lips while surrounded by chicken morsels.

The doggo I had before Scoutie—this was Sako

GJM
07-25-2023, 06:08 PM
Cujo

Isn't that the name of Joe Biden's current dog?

Clusterfrack
07-25-2023, 06:23 PM
Mrs. CF suggests:
“Bosco”
“Bronco”

Now she’s laughing…
“Chauncey”
“Rufus”

RoyGBiv
07-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Cody

JCN
If an Aussie: Quigley. :D

ccmdfd

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/politics/commander-biden-bites-secret-service/index.html

Looks like it!

Malamute
07-25-2023, 06:51 PM
I tend towards people names for my dogs unless they have a well established name already.

My last dog I used the name of a best friends once in a lifetime best dog that had passed some 15 or 20 years before. They approved before I formalized it.

One dog, Stewart, we named for a GFs brother in law that had passed.

GJM
07-25-2023, 07:28 PM
With our first Vizsla, I still remember some little kid coming up and saying, "why did you name him Rigby?" Another friend kept trying to call him "Rutherford." Apparently the .416 Rigby isn't as ubiquitous as "Parabellum."

Clusterfrack
07-25-2023, 07:47 PM

If the dog is named Brandon, you can yell “Let’s go Brandon!” at the dog park.

GJM
07-25-2023, 08:01 PM
If the dog is named Brandon, you can yell “Let’s go Brandon!” at the dog park.

Actual story from 20 something years ago. We land at New Haven, CT in a King Air, after a flight east from CO. We have a pile of rifles on the tarmac next to the plane, waiting to load them into our Suburban. Joe Lieberman, then the VP candidate, lands and parks next to us. His secret service get out first, and start chatting with my wife, who is holding our Vizsla, Parker. Agent asks what the dog's name is, and my wife replies "Republican." They laugh, not a word about all the long guns piled up there.

Elwin
07-25-2023, 08:08 PM
I enjoy working on dog names. Unfortunately all the ones I have stored away for later are Tolkien references.

Vegetation names work but I'm mostly coming up with female ones. Sage, Willow, Maple, Aspen. Ash, I guess.

The family we got our current dog from had all gun-related names. Gunner, then litter mates they kept named Trigger and Bullet. We didn't stick to that convention, with Bombur being our first Tolkien namesake.

Kanye Wyoming
07-25-2023, 08:47 PM
Cujo
My cousin’s husband’s Cujo:

Kanye Wyoming
07-25-2023, 09:02 PM
It’s been decided that once we get past Labor Day, we will be getting a new dog. Our beloved purebred Brittany died in 2015 and I’ve been pining for another Brittany ever since. But my daughter adopted a rescue a few years ago and insists we do the same. She is not to be trifled with so that’s what we’ll be doing. It’s quite possible they won’t still be available (if not good for them), but the two we have our eye on are Brutus (a heeler mix) and Ahava (a mix of all sorts of things). Next to Bubba, which my wife doesn’t abide, Brutus is my absolute favorite doggie name, and I like the name Ahava, which means love in Hebrew. E.g., I have great ahava for the judicial reform bill passed in Israel yesterday.

Brutus:

Ahava:

MountainRaven
07-25-2023, 11:24 PM
I like the idea of Cooper, because then you can call him, "Cooper the pooper."

0ddl0t
07-25-2023, 11:43 PM
dee o gee

DDTSGM
07-26-2023, 12:04 AM
Remo - as in Remo Wiliams.

Biff - my first male boxer's name, he was a great dog.

Romulus - first king of Roman Empire, also nixed by popular vote as the name for me fourth grandson.

Gunnar - cool name with shooting overtones.

Hipster - make 'em look.

That's all I got.

luckyman
07-26-2023, 12:10 AM
My friend had a bluetick named Roscoe. Always liked that for a dog name.

Joe45
07-26-2023, 05:59 AM
Our last dog was Browning. I really miss that dog. All the neighborhood kids called him "brownie" we just went with it and rarely had to explain the name.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Oldherkpilot
07-26-2023, 06:07 AM

No, but he does channel our rabid friend.😁

Oldherkpilot
07-26-2023, 06:12 AM
Hank.

There Hank the Cowdog, our Border Collie mix was Hank E. Dog (damn I miss him!), Hank Williams Jr and his Ruger appreciation.

My Hank was a Border\Aussie mix. Chewed through the wiring on my trailer three times and I still loved him.

RJ
07-26-2023, 07:08 AM
We are gradually coming back around to getting another Mini Schnauzer after losing our beloved SunnyDays last March. It’s not easy.

I’m informed we are considering ‘Schatzi’ (roughly ‘sweetheart’ or ‘my treasure’) or ‘Sasha’.

Wondering Beard
07-26-2023, 08:06 AM
Romulus - first king of Roman Empire, also nixed by popular vote as the name for me fourth grandson.

It's also the name of the very last Western Roman emperor.

Lon
07-26-2023, 10:01 AM
English shepherd?

Winston

Horatio

Wellington or Wellesley

Totem Polar
07-26-2023, 12:45 PM
Winchester.

UNK
07-26-2023, 03:12 PM
https://youtu.be/8RULKgoLBXU

okie john
07-26-2023, 06:17 PM
dee o gee

A guy in my subdivision named his dog that. He speaks English with a very heavy accent so it's funny when he says it. Not sure how many laughs a native English speaker would get.

My first wife named a dog Stella. Every time you called the dog you sounded like Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire, which was funny for about six months.

My father's Oklahoma quail-hunting partners felt that a dog's name should be one syllable and guttural so the dog could hear it across a 40-acre wheat field when the wind was blowing. You sound like a moron yelling "Gilligan!" under those circumstances, so names like Jack and Duke were favorites with them. Ms. Okie and I named our dogs Jack and Duke for that reason.

My grandfather always called his dogs Rex and Toro. When one of them died, he got a new Rex or Toro and kept on going.

Okie John

Tex41mag
07-26-2023, 06:24 PM
This is Scrappy and the name definitely fits this high energy Australian Terrier.

Trigger
07-26-2023, 06:42 PM
Pick a name you don’t mind yelling down the neighborhood at the top of your lungs

Chuck Whitlock
07-26-2023, 07:10 PM
I figured it's better to have the name narrowed down before the dog arrives.

I need to interact with the doggo for a bit before I come to a name that "fits". I don't think I could pick one out beforehand.

LowAndLeft
07-27-2023, 03:40 AM
Pick a name you don’t mind yelling down the neighborhood at the top of your lungs Great point! We had a poodle back when I was a kid to keep my little sister company when I was old enough to go to school. One day he got out. His name was Fluffy. Even as a kid I wasn't going to yell that name!

Hemiram
07-27-2023, 04:29 AM
Original name was going to be Popeye, as his eyes bugged out when he chewed, but there were three Popeyes, all Dacshunds in the neighborhood, so it was Gus. General Norman Swartzkopf said "He looks like a dog aught to look, like a Gus!" when he met him back about 30 years ago. That's a 25 plus pound cat he's got in his mouth. They were big pals until the "testicle incident", and Gus didn't want Orville anywhere behind him after that.

King was going to be called King or Kirk, both fit perfectly, as no dog had more self confidence than he did. The alternate name was "Snowballs", you can guess why. Orville might have pushed Gus around, but King wasn't Gus and even when he was a whopping 7 pounds, he had no fear of the screaming with rage Orville. When he got bigger than Orville, Orville lost his mind.

CSW
07-27-2023, 04:36 AM
Jack.
OR, Jax.

Elwin
07-27-2023, 07:58 AM
When he got bigger than Orville, Orville lost his mind.

Brave dog. Looking at how flattened those ears are, I’m scared of that cat!

Tabasco
07-27-2023, 09:56 AM
If I ever had a pug or other small smash faced dog, I'd name it Roach. No idea why.

Crazy Dane
07-27-2023, 10:11 AM
I need to interact with the doggo for a bit before I come to a name that "fits". I don't think I could pick one out beforehand.

I named a black lab Willie the Wondering Gypsie before I had brought him home. Willie never really fit and everyone called him buddy, come here buddy, hey buddy etc. All of my other dogs have been allowed to come into the family and a name has come to the dog over time, some quicker than others.

CSW
07-27-2023, 12:54 PM
If an Aussie: Quigley. :D

Or Mick. [Dundee]

I knew a dog named :
Deeohgee. [DOG]

PNWTO
07-27-2023, 01:20 PM
We started a trend of naming our animals using the Greek pantheon and the ensuing sub-roster.

Coyotesfan97
07-27-2023, 01:43 PM
A guy in my subdivision named his dog that. He speaks English with a very heavy accent so it's funny when he says it. Not sure how many laughs a native English speaker would get.

My first wife named a dog Stella. Every time you called the dog you sounded like Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire, which was funny for about six months.

My father's Oklahoma quail-hunting partners felt that a dog's name should be one syllable and guttural so the dog could hear it across a 40-acre wheat field when the wind was blowing. You sound like a moron yelling "Gilligan!" under those circumstances, so names like Jack and Duke were favorites with them. Ms. Okie and I named our dogs Jack and Duke for that reason.

My grandfather always called his dogs Rex and Toro. When one of them died, he got a new Rex or Toro and kept on going.

Okie John

That’s exactly how the Dutch name their working dogs. Rico, Rex, Max et al. Short harsh names for the most part.

idahojess
07-27-2023, 02:35 PM
I've always thought there would be great utility in naming a dog "Dammit." One less word for the dog to try to learn. "Dammit, Come!"

But yes on the one syllable names -- or at least a name that can be easily abbreviated to one syllable.

Because dogs like to go, and the skies can be big:

O4L
07-27-2023, 04:33 PM
Cooter.

All you have to do is holler and cooter will come a running!

Jim Watson
07-27-2023, 05:30 PM
I read in the 'Swiss Family Robinson' that a dog name should include an "O" because words with "O" can be heard farther. I think they named theirs Coco.

Malamute
07-27-2023, 09:39 PM
Or Mick. [Dundee]

I knew a dog named :
Deeohgee. [DOG]

I called my last dog dog quite a lot. She had a perfectly good name, Haley, but "come on dog" was simple and normal.

Once in a while Id blank on a name (lots of sleep deprivation at times) and be "Hey, you, dog" was what came out.

Hemiram
07-28-2023, 12:44 AM
He was faster than Orville (and a lot smarter) and seemed to be able to do anything he wanted to with him, no matter how angry Orville got and he sometimes got scary angry. I have dozens of scars on my hands and arms from just Orville's vet visits alone. His meltdowns were just insane, even before we got him to the vet, he would be screaming angry and would attack anything near him. Usually at the vet, that was me. I have a tape someplace of me getting bit on the web of my right hand during one of Orville's rages. Those 4 fangs sinking in hurt really bad.

He was for many years, the "Worst Patient Ever", but after he died, a big orange cat took over the title. Not as big as Orville was, but even more insane. I can''t remember his name, but it was a nam that sounded like he should have been a nice patient, but he was just out of his mind.

Hemiram
07-28-2023, 01:02 AM
Brave dog. Looking at how flattened those ears are, I’m scared of that cat!

One of my present cats is barely more than 1/3 the size of Orville, and she has messed me up several times when she's "snapped" and attacked me. Her attacks are getting more and more infrequent as she ages, her last one, the worst ever, was 2 years ago. I probably wouldn't be here if Orville had done the same things she has to me. Orville saved 99% of his rages for the Vet's office, but both my present cats love the vet, and roll around on the exam table purring and don't even stop when they get shots. Orville had to be sedated to do almost anything.

He was a laid back guy most of the time at home. King really enjoyed messing with him and would herd him like cattle, and Orville just didn't understand King was playing with him until 2 weeks before Orville went sour at 17. They had a lot of fun those last couple of weeks, it was a whole different thing to see Orville just playing nicely with him, like Gus did before. While both King and Gus could have killed Orville anytime they wanted to, King's bite power and strength in general, were almost a joke compared to Gus, who could bite with an amazing amount of force. That 27" neck had a purpose. Big neck and head generally means hard bite. Gus's bite force exceeded the largest Rottweiler he was compared to. Makes sense, he was, after all, the founding member of one vet's "F.A.T.(Finger amputatin' Teeth) club with three plus signs. For a long time, he was the sole +++ member. Lots of one and two plus sign dogs, but Gus was at the top. King wouldn't even get in the door of that club. But he was able to get into it with Orville and walk away without a single bit of damage. The Only damage to Orville was psychological, King really did know how to just wind him up.

PTSDog
07-28-2023, 03:13 PM
OP is a better man than me, I can’t have the same breed as the one that pasted. I compare them too much and it’s not fair to the new pup. Had a great Yellow Lab, Hank, that dies while in Mexico on a guided hunt. A Black Lab that got “clotheslined” by a lonely strain of wire in a field. No Labs for the last 30 years. A great English setter that all others will be judged by. A GSD that gave me my life back during a bad time in my life. No other can compare to her. And now, two Mals that are entering middle age. They will be my last Belgians.

Starting a new service dog in training next year. After 30 years, actually looking at Labs. But they aren’t the wonderful kind I grew up with, trained, nor hunted. So might have to pass. Every time I get asked about a certain breed that I already, I try to change the subject. Too much emotional baggage to unpack.

Anyways, for herding dogs I always liked Chance. Seen some great ones, both make and female, with that name. Good hard start, with a echoing end.

psalms144.1
07-28-2023, 03:30 PM
I've been in the same boat - got a second Mastiff after our Scout, our first, passed, and couldn't stop comparing them, to the younger pooch's discredit. My bestest good boy Ranger the Ridgeback had to be put down in June due to untreatable osteosarcoma just shy of his 10th birthday. Despite being the best, smartest, most loving dog we've ever owned, I can't imagine getting another Ridgy, because he could never live up to Ranger.

I'd look at a different but similar breed - maybe an Australian Cattle Dog instead of Sheperd, or a Border Collie instead of a standard Collie. As far as names go, you've gotten a ton of great suggestions, but my next dog's name will be Claymore.

Our departed buddies were:

Custer
Sitting Bull (AKA Boo-boo)
Scout
Trooper
Ranger

jtcarm
07-31-2023, 12:35 PM
My all-time favorite name was a dog that lived on the stables where we used to board horses.

He was a Dachshund/Lab mix.

“Squatty-body”

Picture a Lab on a Dachshunds legs[emoji33]