PDA

View Full Version : NoVa first-time shooter--where to go?

jc000
10-26-2012, 03:32 PM
So my wife has agreed to join me at the range for the first time. She is a complete shooting newbie, interested but a little apprehensive.

I usually go to Blue Ridge Arsenal, which sucks, but at least I know what to expect there. I'd like to find another place reasonably close-by that will be clean, relatively uncrowded for a Saturday mid-day, and un-intimidating (so NRA is out). I was wondering what people think of Silver Eagle, Sharpshooters or any ranges I may be missing. I think she's concerned she'll look dumb in front of a lot of people. I know no one will really care, but I think the less people milling around, the more she'll be able to focus on the task at hand.

Or maybe I'll play it safe and just try the Hatfield's simulator. :)

Also does anyone know of a range renting the LCR-22?

JConn
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't know about the other places but sharpshooters on a Saturday is extremely busy and now that they allow rifle I'm sure extremely loud.

JSGlock34
10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I'd give Silver Eagle Group a shot. SEG is clean and modern. It is a rental range (and I'm not usually a fan of rentals), but generally that means that there will be a few new shooters on the range. They have a few .22s for rent, but I'm not sure about the LCR.

They often hold 'Living Social' events for new shooters where they provide a rental pistol along with some brief instruction. It is not unusual to see families and couples there. I've found the staff friendly and helpful. It is much less crowded than NRA, and wait times tend to be shorter.

This weekend might be a bit crowded as they are having a Halloween themed event in their 'scenario house'.

jc000
10-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Sounds like it's time to finally check out Silver Eagle. Thanks!

ubervic
10-27-2012, 05:43 AM
So my wife has agreed to join me at the range for the first time. She is a complete shooting newbie, interested but a little apprehensive.

I usually go to Blue Ridge Arsenal, which sucks, but at least I know what to expect there. I'd like to find another place reasonably close-by that will be clean, relatively uncrowded for a Saturday mid-day, and un-intimidating (so NRA is out).

Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised at how often I see what appear to be newbie female shooters at NRA. Each time I go, which is only during weekends, I see at least 15%-20% women; and judging by their demeanor they are new to firearms. If you go midday on a Sunday these days, there is not a lot happening---I figure that many are watching football.

jc000
10-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised at how often I see what appear to be newbie female shooters at NRA. Each time I go, which is only during weekends, I see at least 15%-20% women; and judging by their demeanor they are new to firearms. If you go midday on a Sunday these days, there is not a lot happening---I figure that many are watching football.

NRA is nice, but with that "observation window" sort of feel, she would be too uncomfortable.

We did go to Silver Eagle Group--pretty nice, overall. We shot about a hundred rounds or so of .22 (I brought my 9mm as well, a little overwhelming for her!). She was nervous as heck, but we ended up having a great time. I think we'll be going again...

ubervic
10-28-2012, 06:15 AM
NRA is nice, but with that "observation window" sort of feel, she would be too uncomfortable.

We did go to Silver Eagle Group--pretty nice, overall. We shot about a hundred rounds or so of .22 (I brought my 9mm as well, a little overwhelming for her!). She was nervous as heck, but we ended up having a great time. I think we'll be going again...

Hey, that's great. I hope that your lady enjoyed the experience. I'm interested in trying Silver Eagle Group, too.

JSGlock34
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Glad it worked out.