PDA

View Full Version : Robar texturing

breakingtime91
07-17-2023, 04:54 PM
I have decided to double down on hks, specifically the p30 (ltt with eps carry) and p2000s (which will get milled by wright armory). One thing that could be improved on with the p2000 is the texturing. Great for carry, not so good if your hands are wet. I've been debating talon pro grips but I haven't had the best of luck with them in the past. I stumbled upon active self protection extra and he had his p30 textured by robar.. anyone have experience with it? Looks almost like rhino liner and you can choose a texture that isn't super abrasive to bare skin.

Elwin
07-17-2023, 05:16 PM
I'm fairly certain Robar closed shop. You could likely get another shop that stipples polymer guns to do it. I know Boresight offers their "Competition" frame packages for at least some oddball guns.

breakingtime91
07-17-2023, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly certain Robar closed shop. You could likely get another shop that stipples polymer guns to do it. I know Boresight offers their "Competition" frame packages for at least some oddball guns.

The full custom shop closed but texturing is still plugging away.

Elwin
07-17-2023, 05:20 PM
The full custom shop closed but texturing is still plugging away.

Nevermind then! I kept hearing and reading "Robar is closed" but never saw that distinction made, so I learned something.

Looking at their offerings, it really does look like permanent Talon grips.

KevH
07-17-2023, 06:38 PM
I had a Glock done by them and didn't care for it at all. They smear some type of goop on the gun.

I much prefer Boresight or some of the lesser known texturing folks' work (Matt Adams does awesome work).

breakingtime91
07-17-2023, 07:05 PM
I had a Glock done by them and didn't care for it at all. They smear some type of goop on the gun.

I much prefer Boresight or some of the lesser known texturing folks' work (Matt Adams does awesome work).

whats matt adams business name?

Up1911Fan
07-17-2023, 07:17 PM
I think Robars grip work looks like shit. I highly recommend Ben at Boresight. I've also ised Coldbore Custom and Templar Custom Arms in the past.

LJP
07-17-2023, 07:26 PM
I’ve had work done by Boresight and Gun Grip Customs (Alex Diaz). I can recommend both without reservation.

dontshakepandas
07-17-2023, 08:09 PM
I've heard good things about Jerkman Custom grip panels for the p30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rrBftA8t8g

G19Fan
07-17-2023, 08:26 PM

Huge boresight fan. Pricey but great stuff

flyrodr
07-17-2023, 09:10 PM
Robar worked over my P2000SK back when they were doing "custom" work. I like their grip work.

Hot Sauce
07-17-2023, 09:11 PM
I think Robars grip work looks like shit. I highly recommend Ben at Boresight. I've also ised Coldbore Custom and Templar Custom Arms in the past.

How do Boresight and Coldbore compare?

Up1911Fan
07-17-2023, 09:22 PM
How do Boresight and Coldbore compare?

Coldbore does decent work, but the comms and timeframe slipped the last time I used him, to be fair that was several years ago. I personally go with Boresight everytime. I don't think anyone does better work on a polymer frame.

Default.mp3
07-17-2023, 09:32 PM
How does stippling compare to silicon carbide? I feel that part of the advantage of sending it off to Boresight or Cold Bore Customs would be the grip alterations in conjunction with the stippling, and not just the stippling itself.

I've personally just been using the same 60' roll of 3M Safety Walk since 2015 that I bought for ~25 USD. Maybe halfway through the roll at this point.

KevH
07-17-2023, 09:52 PM
whats matt adams business name?

https://www.instagram.com/paynecustoms_stippling/?hl=en

I had him do work for me before he had an Instagram setup. He does truly excellent work.

vcdgrips
07-17-2023, 10:08 PM
Ben at Boresight does stellar work.

As an aside, he was generous to a fault with his insight when I first started texturing both 1911 polymer grips and Glock frames in 2008 ish.

Robar is a go to vendor for grip reductions for an 1000+ PD that is a client agency. They have been happy with the product in terms of performance for small handed officers.

Robar is certainly a function over form solution relative to Boresight which has both of those vectors covered well.

JTQ
07-18-2023, 07:49 AM
Bowie Tactical http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/index.html

Texaspoff
07-18-2023, 08:59 AM
Coldbore does decent work, but the comms and timeframe slipped the last time I used him, to be fair that was several years ago. I personally go with Boresight everytime. I don't think anyone does better work on a polymer frame.

I apologize for all of that, yes things got a bit hectic and crazy around here for a while between work and the shop. Things have finally settled down a bit. :)

Without a doubt, Ben does excellent work.

TXPO

Casey
07-18-2023, 08:35 PM
Boresight is the way to go. Granted, he's local to me, and being able to drive 45 minutes to drop off a frame has a lot of allure compared to dealing with shipping costs, but the quality of his work is absolutely fantastic and well worth the premium. At this point I think he's done 3-4 VP9s for me, and I have three of his Glocks. Truly top-notch. I've tried both his medium and sharp textures and tend to prefer the latter even in a concealed carry application, but then I always wear an undershirt. If I didn't, I'd almost certainly want the medium for carry.

Coldbore did a G17 and G19 for me back around 2012-2014. Good quality work, though communication was less than ideal, but it sounds like that's improved as Texaspoff stated.