PDA

View Full Version : Holosun SCS Wahts up with this? Crazy Scattered bits of green--AND red

Mr Sonoranbird
07-07-2023, 12:52 PM
After about 10 months of use on the range my SCS on my Glock 19 Gen 5 has been acting up lately.

The last couple times out there, it works fine for about the 1st 150 rounds but then the sight picture goes crazy with a bunch of not only green, but also tiny red dots all around. The primary green dot is still there, but amid all the other scattered bits of green--AND red. I let my trainer look and he saw that too. Anyone know anything about this?

Utm
07-08-2023, 01:25 AM
Send it back. General rule of thumb. If you buy holosun, buy 2 because one of them will probably fail at some point.

RJ
07-08-2023, 05:17 AM
https://holosun.com/support/customer-service/warranty-information.html

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 09:50 AM
Send it back. General rule of thumb. If you buy holosun, buy 2 because one of them will probably fail at some point.

Thank you. I did not know that Holosun optics were so suspect. Sounds as if I'll be w/o an optic for weeks, or more.

Clusterfrack
07-08-2023, 09:52 AM

I'm not convinced Holosun has a higher failure rate than many other popular optics brands. Unfortunately, U-shaped* failure curve is fairly common for many devices these days. I am 6 for 6 on reliable Holosuns (heavy use) compared to 4 dead Sigs and 1 dead Trijicon.

*If they don't die early, product lifetime is typical.

HCM
07-08-2023, 12:23 PM

I agree with Clusterfrack.

I’ve not seen a Holosuns have a higher failure rate than other manufacturers. In my experience, if they do fail, they usually fail right out of the box or very early on. If not, they just work and keep working.

I will say IME certain models including the SCS, Gen 1 509 and the multi reticle versions of the EPS are more prone to issues.

Erick Gelhaus
07-08-2023, 12:40 PM
Out of curiosity, is the emitter window intact?

jlw
07-08-2023, 12:42 PM

A 50% failure rate? What's the data set for that assessment?

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 12:46 PM
Out of curiosity, is the emitter window intact?

Yes, it is. The optic has never suffered any impact

Lon
07-08-2023, 12:57 PM

I’ve sent more Trijicons back than Holosun. But that’s a good rule for any slide mounted MRDS.

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 01:36 PM

I thought that was unlikely, too

Utm
07-08-2023, 04:35 PM
I'm not convinced Holosun has a higher failure rate than many other popular optics brands. Unfortunately, U-shaped* failure curve is fairly common for many devices these days. I am 6 for 6 on reliable Holosuns (heavy use) compared to 4 dead Sigs and 1 dead Trijicon.

I am, that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it or buy one.

Utm
07-08-2023, 04:37 PM
I agree with Clusterfrack.

I’ve not seen a Holosuns have a higher failure rate than other manufacturers. In my experience, if they do fail, they usually fail right out of the box or very early on. If not, they just work and keep working.

I will say IME certain models including the SCS, Gen 1 509 and the multi reticle versions of the EPS are more prone to issues.
Mine stopped working after about a year. I am not saying don't buy holsoun. I just would expect it to stop working at some point

Utm
07-08-2023, 04:37 PM

I did not state a statistic

HCM
07-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Mine stopped working after about a year. I am not saying don't buy holsoun. I just would expect it to stop working at some point

That’s true of any slide mounted optic.

Round count, recoil, exposure to weather, and whether or not you are usu g the optic for manipulation on a regular basis are all factors.

I’ve personally killed an RMR and DPP, and had an SRO dead out of the box.

I’ve also seen a SIG Romeo1pro dead out of the box.. my experience with them is similar to the Holosuns in that if they are bad, they are usually dead out of the box or fail quickly. If not, they keep chugging on.

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 06:32 PM

Curious. Is any of those 6 Holosun optics the recently developed SCS (solar charging sight)?

This, below, is the optic that has developed an issue for me. I've had it about 10 months and shot about 2,500 rounds with it on my Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS....

https://holosun.com/products/reflex-sight/scs/scs-mos.html

DaBigBR
07-08-2023, 06:48 PM

You said "General rule of thumb. If you buy holosun, buy 2 because one of them will probably fail at some point.", so you maybe could see why people would think your sample size was more than a single optic.

Here's my dataset:

I own about 20 Holosun pistol optics. I have owned 6 or 7 more that l have replaced with newer models (like replacing V1 507Cs with V2s or 407k/507k with EPS Carry). At work I'm responsible for maintaining another 30 or so. In my side business I've sold several hundred.

Here are my failures:

1) Two 509Ts, one V1 and one X2, were DOA.
2) One 509T was out of spec and would not attach to a plate.
3) One 407K was DOA.
4) Two 509T X2s buttons would stop responding.
5) One 509T had the dot part of the reticle stop working.

So the failure rate for me is somewhere between 1% and 2%. Four of those were out of the box failures (three for electronics and one for an out of spec mount). The 509T is overrepresented because it is the most popular optic for me.

In every single case, Holosun has made it right and done so promptly and at zero cost to me or the user. In another case, one of my guys drove off with his gun on the roof of his car and it fell onto concrete and cracked the glass on the 507C. It remained working and held zero. They still replaced it for free.

Contrast that with Trijicon MROs where my sample size is much smaller (about 50 between my own three and work) and we have seen a long term failure rate of about 15%. Mostly optics going out of zero or moisture in the housing.

So I don't think it's a "general rule" to buy two Holosun products because one of the will "probably" fail.

HCM
07-08-2023, 07:47 PM
After about 10 months of use on the range my SCS on my Glock 19 Gen 5 has been acting up lately.

The last couple times out there, it works fine for about the 1st 150 rounds but then the sight picture goes crazy with a bunch of not only green, but also tiny red dots all around. The primary green dot is still there, but amid all the other scattered bits of green--AND red. I let my trainer look and he saw that too. Anyone know anything about this?

Normally what you Describe would be related to environmental conditions, either low sun angle from the front of the lens reflecting off the emitter or water on the lense or emitter. But the fact it doesn’t present until 150 rounds into a range session contraindicates that.

The SCS is a somewhat unique optic in that it doesn’t use batteries or manual brightness adjustment. Both are new tech for pistol optics.

As suggested contact Holosun customer service.

jlw
07-08-2023, 08:10 PM

Having to buy two to get one that works equates to 50% of them not working.

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Normally what you Describe would be related to environmental conditions, either low sun angle from the front of the lens reflecting off the emitter or water on the lense or emitter. But the fact it doesn’t present until 150 rounds into a range session contraindicates that.

The SCS is a somewhat unique optic in that it doesn’t use batteries or manual brightness adjustment. Both are new tech for pistol optics.

Yes, I have thought about this being new tech for pistol optics. Not sure when the SCS hit the market. I bought it last October. I contacted Holosun about this just yesterday, so I will look forward to their response.

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 08:26 PM

Your insights are helpful.

I began training early last September, so I have never been out there when the sun was rising from as far north as it is now.

Next time this happens I will aim away to the West to see if it still occurs.

Thank you!!

Utm
07-08-2023, 09:38 PM
If people want to buy all holosun, go for it. I do not care. I personally believe that if someone chooses to run a holosun they should be prepared for it to fail (especially version 1 of their products). It is perfectly fine for that to be my thought process in reference to them. I still recommend them to people. If you have had good luck with them then I'm happy for you. They are just not my number 1 option.

Mr Sonoranbird
07-08-2023, 09:48 PM
If people want to buy all holosun, go for it. I do not care. I personally believe that if someone chooses to run a holosun they should be prepared for it to fail (especially version 1 of their products). It is perfectly fine for that to be my thought process in reference to them. I still recommend them to people. If you have had good luck with them then I'm happy for you. They are just not my number 1 option.

I wonder if my SCS I bought last October is version 1

HCM
07-08-2023, 11:11 PM
Your insights are helpful.

I began training early last September, so I have never been out there when the sun was rising from as far north as it is now.

Next time this happens I will aim away to the West to see if it still occurs.

Thank you!!

Low sun angles sometimes cause a single Ghost dot or can cause a splatter effect. Heck to see if both the lens and the emitter are clean and dry. Water, sweat or oil can also cause these issues.

HCM
07-08-2023, 11:16 PM
I wonder if my SCS I bought last October is version 1

AFAIK Holosun has only released one version / generation of the SCS.

Tango44
08-30-2023, 02:00 PM
Hi, I'm new here and please let me know if I must introduce myself on a specific section of the forum.

I would like to share my recent experience with my SCS after 6K round and one exact year of use.
Mine died and stopped working last Sunday at a local IDPA match. I bought mine back in June 2022.
I started having problems with the side push button like a month ago. The button stops responding and I couldn't change reticles turn it on or off, the button still clicks but does not react at all.
On Sunday after one hundred rounds the sight went off suddenly.
It does not work anymore, I contacted Holosun and they replied to me 2 days after my initial email.

The sight has some problems. It is not perfect but 1 year of service is a short life, I expect more for my hard earned $350. The glass is not the best, you must keep it really clean to avoid small green reflexes like some others have mentioned. The auto brightness setting is terrible especially at night and is completely useless if you shoot with a light mounted on your pistol by night (Surefire X300 Turbo here.)

The sight works fine on outdoors or sunny days but indoors or low light conditions are almost useless, the dot will go on the lowest setting that you can hardly see it. This is why I don't think this can be a duty rated sight.

On sunny days you will see a small square around the green dot that really distracts you and blurs your field of view, which is very reduced on the SCS.

I'm in the process of sending it back for a warranty inspection and let's see what Holosun will say. I'm sure that they will repair it, (they repair in my experience they won't send you a new one like other manufacturers) but I hope they do it right.

I'm not sure If I will trust this sight again. I decided to move to the RMR to have manual adjustment and better lifetime.
My tired eyes need a bigger window, the SCS is too little for me now.
What would you recommend, the RMR or others???
Thank you.
Joe.

Tango44
09-10-2023, 08:09 AM
Mine failed to me after a year of use and 6K rounds, I sent it back to Holosun a month ago and I haven't heard from them, they don't answer my emails.
I don't know what is going to happen but I'm moving to Trijicon.