PDA

View Full Version : Tom Givens Instructor Dev. and Cert. near Americus Oct 5-7, 2012

SOT364
10-24-2012, 12:18 AM
What: Tom Givens (Rangemaster) 3 day Instructor Development and Certification
Where: near Americus, GA
When: Oct. 5-7, 2012

This was Tom's 3 day Firearms Instructor Development and Certification Course. $479 was the price of admission per shooter for close to 30 hours of instruction from one of the greatest instructor's instructor of our times. I say over 30 hours for a three day course that would typically be 24 hours form most three day courses. We started a 0900 each day and went to around 1830 hours, with only a 30 minute lunch break each day. So range and class time were maximized, and there was homework on two of the three nights.

Friday started out at 0900 in the class. We were given a 179 page manual that contained info needed for the class, articles on a myriad of subjects, courses of fire, and tips for instructors. Tom introduced Lynn and their back up dog, Skeeter. He then began by telling us what we could expect from the course, and what he expected from us.

He continued with what he taught and why he did so. He provided examples of his 60 students that had prevailed in their shooting incidents. He introduced his methods of operating a handgun and why he used them.

We made it to the range about 1130 and began shooting. He had use perform a few drills to gain an understanding of who he was working with. We then branched off to some other skill building drills and broke for a quick lunch. We returned and began shot a diagnostic 30 round drill on a NRA 25 yd bulls eye with a minimum passing score. After this we were back in the class room for more lectures and instruction. We were assigned a presentation topic for Sunday and given homework of reading the 179 page manual.

Saturday started off at 0900 again in the classroom and then off to the range. The day was broken back and forth between the two. On the range we were introduced to several different drills to improve and or diagnose skills. We were also introduced to the FBI handgun qual and later shot if for score.

In the classroom we were introduced to public speaking and each of us stepped up in front of the class. We had to take a few minutes to tell the others about our background and why we were at the course. We were further indoctrinated in methods of teaching others and broke around 1830 til the next day.

We started again at 0900 on Sunday and went right to the range where we shot the FBI qual for score. We then went back into the classroom to talk about legal issues before breaking for lunch.

We then shot the Rangemaster Instructor Handgun course for score. This is a much more trying course than that of the vaunted FBI. It is a course that should be shot once a month to use as either a benchmark or a wake up call.We retired to the classroom and took the nine page written test.

When all students finished the test and Tom graded it we were back in class to make presentations on our assigned topics. Everyone did well with limited resources, for those that traveled in. We finished this up and Tom showed us two separate videos to illustrate differences in mindset and tactics. This was accompanied by his thoughts on the matter.

We moved off to the range to work on movement and a few more drills. We then returned to the classroom for handing out of certificates and such. Three of us shot the course with our carry guns and holsters in the way we do on the streets. A good friend of mine got the overall top gun award. He scored 100 out of 100 on the FBI qual, higher than me on the Rangemaster Instructor qual, and we tied on the written test. I came in second with a 100 out of 100, 244 out of 250, and 96 out of 100 respectively. He shot a relatively stock G17 from concealed AIWB throughout the entire course, and I shot a stock G22 from a safariland sls/als.

Everyone had a good time and learned a lot. Every single person said they would take another Tom Givens class and I had several ask me when he was coming back. In fact I have three already signed up for his next course here. Thankfully we did not have a “THAT GUY” in the class, and everyone got along great with everyone else.

I have been through a number of instructor rated schools and Tom's is one of the best, and I believe the best currently available. He has my unsolicited and highly thought of recommendation for any and all training he chooses to provide.

Notes/Deep Thoughts (without Jack Handy):

Students guns: M&P 9, M&P 40, 2 G19s, G19L, G17, Walther PPQ, and G22.

No one experienced malfunctions except for me. I had a few failure to feeds during one hand work due to me not having a proper grip on the gun, and old/weak springs in training mags. The sides of the of a Glock 22 are a little slick for me. I will be applying some grip tape to the gun since I cannot permanently mod it due to it being an issue piece.

Due to my extremely high grip, and the extra snap of the G22 I experienced lacerations to the web of my shooting hand. When cleaning the thing at night I noticed dried skin and blood on the cocking grooves. I have since installed a smooth backed grip force adapter and it has solved the problem. It does add a noticeable (for me) extension for my trigger finger. I can still operate it at speed without compromising trigger reach/control, but would prefer a built in tang extension.

After the last course Tom taught here I espoused my personal opinion (for me) on grip reductions. I was shooting a highly modified G19 and a stock G19 for the course. I opined that I could not tell a performance difference between the two in my hands.

This time I shot a stock G22. The difference in the extended and enlarged grip circumference, in addition to the snap of the cartridge it is chambered for, has changed my mind. In a full size Glock, for me, a grip reduction would be very beneficial. Also, some type of traction on the sides. I will have to live with the circumference, but will fix the slippage.

The only shots I blew really bad, were when Tom was conspicuously behind me watching like a hawk. This has only happened to me before with the Gunner's Guru. It was called “tricycliphobia” at that time and place. As Tom has pointed out, he is the Colonel when he does that/ I have no doubt the spirit of Jeff Cooper had dripped into his soul.

The importance of good support equipment was noticed by several. Thus they will now have improved holsters/mag pouches and sturdier belts. We fired right at the prescribed 1000 rounds each. At least 3 of us from this class are already signed up to go to Tom's Advanced Instructor class at his home range in February 2013.

Mandatory disclaimer: I am co-partner of Americus Training Group, we host Tom Givens of Rangemaster, South Narc of Shivworks, Dennis Martin of CQB Services, Super Dave of Combat Speed, Ed Lovette, and formerly my beloved friend Paul Gomez for courses near Americus, Ga.

Al T.
10-24-2012, 08:07 AM
“tricycliphobia”

LOL, haven't read that in a while....

Excellent review. :) I need to get down that way and train with you folks. Flipping off Jimmy would just be a bonus. :cool:

SOT364
10-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Based off a certain part of your reply (which part is up to you to guess), you are automatically welcome here anytime. :cool:

Al T.
10-25-2012, 07:37 AM
LOL. :D Plainly, I have it figured out.

Tom Givens
10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Shane. Here is the info on 2013.

Rangemaster Firearms Instructor Development Courses, 2013
This is an intensive three-day course, 9am-6pm each day.
1,000 rds Tuition- $499.00
Locations, dates and contact information:

Tucson, Arizona
Jan 18-20, 2013 Friday-Sunday
Dan Southard Ph 520 458 7474
1961berlin@gmail.com
1653 Moonflower Way, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635
All registrations due no later than January 5th.

Florence, South Carolina
March 8-10, 2013 Friday-Sunday
Richard Wright Ph 843-229-2629
labradorone@bellsouth.net

Giddings, Texas (near Austin or Bastrop)
March 22-24, 2013 Friday- Sunday
Karl Rehn Ph 512-633-8232
rehn@krtraining.info

Memphis, Tennessee (Rangemaster, air conditioned indoor range)
August 2-4, 2013 Friday-Sunday
Rangemaster staff, Ph 901-370-5600
Rangemaster.tom@gmail.com

McLoud, Oklahoma (near OKC and Shawnee,OK)
September 6-8, 2013 Friday-Sunday
Rangemaster staff, Ph 901-370-5600
Rangemaster.tom@gmail.com

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
October 4-6, 2013 Friday-Sunday
Skip Gochenour
srg@srgochenour.com

ToddG
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Tom -- What would it take to get you to do one in Culpeper?

Alternatively, I'll sign up for the one in Memphis. Will there be any practical exercises downtown in the evenings? :cool:

Tom Givens
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Todd-

I'll get back to you directly re Culpeper.

As for the Memphis class- on Saturday night we drop you off in front of Elvis' house with a hundred dollar bill sticking out of your pocket. If you make it back to Rangemaster by Sunday afternoon you get a certificate.

ToddG
10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
As for the Memphis class- on Saturday night we drop you off in front of Elvis' house with a hundred dollar bill sticking out of your pocket. If you make it back to Rangemaster by Sunday afternoon you get a certificate.

Now I understand why you switched from a 1911 to a G35. :cool:

Al T.
10-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh, you two forkers so owe me a keyboard....;)

BTW Todd, Florence is a very nice venue. Just sayin....

orionz06
10-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Alternatively, I'll sign up for the one in Memphis. Will there be any practical exercises downtown in the evenings? :cool:

He really sells Memphis, doesn't he.

NickA
10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
He really sells Memphis, doesn't he.

Usually Wanted posters are at the post office. Tom's is at the Memphis Convention and Visitors' Bureau.

1slow
10-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Shane was working nights, got less sleep in 3 days than the 1st place finisher did in 1 day, and still finished 444/450, 1 point behind 1st place 445/450.
This to me was the stellar performance of the class.