PDA

View Full Version : Glocking-blocking pin

YVK
10-23-2012, 08:58 PM
My Gen4 17 is 601 rounds old and locking block pin has tried to walk twice. My Gen3 19 is 14K rounds old and nothing like this has ever happened. This makes me conclude that my ability to insert said pin correctly is unlikely to be a culprit.

Fix suggestions, anyone, please?

SecondsCount
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
My Gen4 17 is 601 rounds old and locking block pin has tried to walk twice. My Gen3 19 is 14K rounds old and nothing like this has ever happened. This makes me conclude that my ability to insert said pin correctly is unlikely to be a culprit.

Fix suggestions, anyone, please?

HK. :p

Seriously, I think someone else mentioned a similar issue with their Glock in another thread, somebody suggested loctite, and that it worked for them. I think it was the kind of loctite that is used for seating bearings.

Here is another thread on the subject (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2832-Gen-4-Glock-17-Locking-block-pin-started-%E2%80%9Cwalking%E2%80%9D-out-while-firing)

Spr1
10-24-2012, 04:24 AM
Slide it incrementally back and forth until you feel it center itself (it is undercut in the middle) on the locking block. That should solve the problem.

Wayne Dobbs
10-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Centering it is desirable as stated to keep it from walking, but if it continues to walk replace the pin. If after you replace a the locking block pin, it keeps walking you likely have a locking block out of spec. I had a G-17 Gen 2 that kept breaking trigger pins at the radial cut and a replacement of the locking block fixed that issue.

VolGrad
10-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I had a OD Gen3 G34 that did this a while back. I couldn't get through a magazine without it walking out.

I tried several different pins.
I tried a couple of different locking blocks.
None of that fixed the problem.

My suspicion was the holes in the frame were cut out of spec (too large). I sent it back to GLOCK in Smyrna and they sent it back stating it was "within spec with no issue". I guess a pin walking out on you in the middle of a string of fire isn't an issue.

Some folks suggested deforming the ends of the pin a bit but I never tried it.

pangloss
10-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe a thick coat of paint or a thin coat of some sort of epoxy would increase the diameter of the pin enough to keep it snug.

JonInWA
10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Simply try a replacement pin; that'll help determine if it's a undersized-pin issue, or an over-sized hole issue; my first suspiscion is that there's a slight dimensional irregularity in the pin.

Best, Jon

JFK
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Sorry to show my immaturity here but reading the title of this thread there has got to be a joke in the term glock blocking.