PDA

View Full Version : P228/M11/P229 9mm Sweet Spot

Super77
06-24-2023, 10:05 AM
So, against my better judgement I’d like to get a P228 to replace the West German one I sold awhile back. I’m bewildered by the product development of the compact aluminum SIGs. Did the P229 9mm replace the P228? What are the “good” years/models to look for? I’d generally prefer a one-piece slide, not the folded metal+breach block original style.

WobblyPossum
06-24-2023, 10:20 AM
Yes, the P229 replaced the P228. You can get the M11-A1 which is a P229 with the slide profile of a P228. It’s definitely my favorite looking Sig P2XX handgun. I don’t know what the odds are of getting a great one out of the box though, with Sig QC being what it is. As far as I know, all P229s have the one-piece, machined slide.

fatdog
06-24-2023, 10:57 AM
On QC, the advice I have been given several times is always buy from LE stock (their version of blue label) or police trades, and try and avoid 2005-2012 production range as the worst of the Cohen cost cutting era. I have no idea how valid any of that is, but I have picked up some good deals on the P229 tribe doing it and all have been flawless performers. Of course most LE trade guns are likely to be very low round count guns as well. There have been some really good waves of LE trade in's that sell for less than 50% of the original street price of the gun. Most are .40/.357's but not all.

I picked up an early 90's date code West German P228 about 18 months ago for about $550, that was the result of diligent and patient Gunbroker shopping. It did not have the factory box or any of that stuff but was a low round count gun in excellent condition. Shooters can be found for reasonable prices if you are not in a hurry.

I am pretty certain there were no folded slide 229's ever and most 228's were, so it is probably the P229/M11A1 you seek.

Be aware there was a significant frame change at the advent of the P229-1, and the magazines changed. That allowed them to make one size frame for 9/40/357 but it has a slightly larger magwell and they had to create a new 9mm magazine. I have found the P228 magazines will run just fine but rattle and slop around a bit in the 229-1 frames, however the 229-1 or current M11A1 9mm magazines cannot even fit into the early 229 9mm or any 228 frames.

Brian T
06-24-2023, 10:58 AM
So, against my better judgement I’d like to get a P228 to replace the West German one I sold awhile back. I’m bewildered by the product development of the compact aluminum SIGs. Did the P229 9mm replace the P228? What are the “good” years/models to look for? I’d generally prefer a one-piece slide, not the folded metal+breach block original style.

Check IM

HCM
06-24-2023, 11:11 AM

The P229 replaced the P228 in SIG’s product line, but not in actual military service.

Folded slide = 228

Solid slide =229

As noted there is no such thing as a folded slide P229.

Early P229s in 9mm used P228 mags and a different frame then the 229s in 40/357.

SIG later transition to building everything on the 40/357 frames. These later 9mm 229s on .40 frames are known as the 229-1 and use flush fitting 15 round 229-1 magazines. IME they also work with the 13 round 228 mags.

229-1 mags are not backwards compatible; they WILL NOT work in P228s or the older 13 round 9mm 229s.

SIG sells a 9mm 229 as the “M11a1” but that is pure marketing hype to sell 229s not an actual designation.

Mechanically the one piece slide P229 is superior but IME /IMHO the lighter slide of the P228 “feels” better, especially when shooting under time pressure. The 229 has always felt a bit top heavy and “clunky” vs the 228. YMMV.

This being 2023, if you want an optic the one piece slide is your only option.

Lon
06-24-2023, 05:30 PM
On QC, the advice I have been given several times is always buy from LE stock (their version of blue label) or police trades, and try and avoid 2005-2012 production range as the worst of the Cohen cost cutting era. I have no idea how valid any of that is, but I have picked up some good deals on the P229 tribe doing it and all have been flawless performers. Of course most LE trade guns are likely to be very low round count guns as well. There have been some really good waves of LE trade in's that sell for less than 50% of the original street price of the gun. Most are .40/.357's but not all.

I picked up an early 90's date code West German P228 about 18 months ago for about $550, that was the result of diligent and patient Gunbroker shopping. It did not have the factory box or any of that stuff but was a low round count gun in excellent condition. Shooters can be found for reasonable prices if you are not in a hurry.

I am pretty certain there were no folded slide 229's ever and most 228's were, so it is probably the P229/M11A1 you seek.

Be aware there was a significant frame change at the advent of the P229-1, and the magazines changed. That allowed them to make one size frame for 9/40/357 but it has a slightly larger magwell and they had to create a new 9mm magazine. I have found the P228 magazines will run just fine but rattle and slop around a bit in the 229-1 frames, however the 229-1 or current M11A1 9mm magazines cannot even fit into the early 229 9mm or any 228 frames.

We had significant issues with our ‘13 produced blue label 226s. Minor issues with our 229s from same time frame. I would suggest sticking with pre ‘05 manufacture.

Sig_Fiend
06-24-2023, 08:09 PM
IMO, the sweet spot in the P229 is the earlier P229's, not the P229-1. Ideally before ~'04-05 when Cohen took over as CEO (I might be off on that by ~1-2yrs). This would be a short extractor model, as the long extractor was a much later development.
If it was me, I'd go for the original non-rail frame model. The P229 is kind of chonky for what it is, so I figure why add a rail on top of that unless it's absolutely needed (e.g. duty, HD gun, etc), but that's just me. ;)

The P228 aesthetics and ergonomics/balance are better IMO. Though, if you want a shooter that will last you the rest of your life, the early P229 is a great candidate. From an engineering standpoint, the original folded slide P228 is super cool. That said, the removable breech block and dual coil pins to retain it is added maintenance and complexity. The P229's stainless slide was a legitimate improvement in that regard. Also, while SIG's older internal extractors have worked very well when not misused (e.g. never load a single round through the ejection port!), the P229's standard external extractor design with a compression spring is a more consistent design in the long run and easier to maintain.

You can look for date codes (https://www.realgunreviews.com/sig-sauer-proof-marks-date-codes/) and serial numbers (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1810019194) to help pin down year and sometimes month when they were made. The ones I described are honestly not all that difficult to find.
Checking Gunbroker right now, I see at least 4 or 5 short extractor P229's. One of those is as early as 1994 and most between there and 2004. I'd be all over that '94 if it was me.

MattyD380
06-24-2023, 10:37 PM
HCM 's post covered everything you really need to know, from a "product lineage" standpoint. I've had a P228. I agree--it's a good "sweet spot," size wise, for a handy duty pistol.

That said, I found an early '90s P229 for less than $500 last summer. It's a little beat up, but it runs 100% and shoots very well. As mentioned, the early P229s are basically P228s with fatter, heavier milled slides (early P229s had wider slides than other Sigs; that changed with the whole P229-1 thing in 2009ish).

I kinda like the P229's girthier slide, actually. It feels a little more planted and stable than the P228 I had. Plus, I feel like the P228 has the most "halo" of all the classic Sigs... so, they tend to command fairly high prices. You might be able to get an old P229 for less. Early P229s and P228s use the same frames, mags, grip panels and frame internals. Part of me wants to find a cheap P228 slide and have the option of "P228 mode" for my P229. The other part of me thinks that's dumb.

Super77
06-24-2023, 11:16 PM
Ok fellas I’m on the hunt with some good leads provided. One quick question though: is a .40 to 9 conversion an option, or does that hurt reliability?

Thanks for all the amazing information, this is why I love P-F.

Matty, there used to be P228 parts kits available for pretty cheap, and someone was making 80% receivers. I’m sure someone out there has a parts kit and never got arou d tk doing the receiver. May be able to find a conpelte slide for less than $300 (the price of the kits iirc).

fatdog
06-25-2023, 12:27 AM
There is of course a breachface difference.

I have an IEK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel intended for the .40/357 P229, I use a 9mm recoil spring and 229-1 9mm mags when I "convert" and my .357/40 slide 229 runs just fine. So far.

I have read it will also work with a straight Sig factory P229 9mm barrel but have not tried. I used to travel all the time with my P229, kept it in 357 Sig configuration, but had that 9mm conversion barrel, recoil spring and a couple of the 9mm mags in my suitcase along with a .40 barrel so if I became ammo constrained I could find some 9 or 40 and carry on. It was also handy to have the 9mm conversion for practice and I did thousands of rounds of 9mm ball with that config.

That said, I would not walk out the door in the morning with the 229 in that 9mm conversion barrel configuration, even though it seems to run just fine. I have a P228 anyway.

Another option is to simply get a complete 9mm upper and some mags and then you are 100% good to go.

HCM
06-25-2023, 01:01 AM
Ok fellas I’m on the hunt with some good leads provided. One quick question though: is a .40 to 9 conversion an option, or does that hurt reliability?

Matty, there used to be P228 parts kits available for pretty cheap, and someone was making 80% receivers. I’m sure someone out there has a parts kit and never got arou d tk doing the receiver. May be able to find a conpelte slide for less than $300 (the price of the kits iirc).

I have a Bar-Sto 40-9 conversion barrel which has been 100% reliable, even with the .40 recoil spring and .40 magazines.

That said, for a carry / duty gun I’d buy a dedicated 9mm. For a range gun, it’s been great IME.

rathos
06-25-2023, 02:51 AM
If you really want a do all gun, get a 40/357 sig frame. Then get the 229-1 9mm upper and some 229-1 9mm mags. A few months ago I picked up a 229-1 upper for my 40 (I went with the optic version that shipped with a romeo 1). Its been awesome. I can still shoot .40 or .357 sig (I had the barrel already) and I have dedicated 9mm mags and upper for when I want to shoot cheaper ammo. So far the Romeo has held up and it has a pretty big window.

Nick B
06-25-2023, 08:20 AM
My experience with Sigs metal framed guns is actual ownership and not gun store / internet hype . I own 9 P226’s and 1 P229. All bought new starting in 2011 and up to this week with my latest, a P229 LE Legion .All are shot regularly. Some more than others . I can honestly say that I’ve never seen or experienced any shoddy workmanship or quality control.
Yes I’m sure there’s some out there. Every company puts out a dud now and then . Just my experience.

ST911
06-25-2023, 08:48 AM
We had significant issues with our ‘13 produced blue label 226s. Minor issues with our 229s from same time frame. I would suggest sticking with pre ‘05 manufacture.

226s and 229s were funky about that time - entire batches of them. Almost all in .40s.

David S.
06-25-2023, 08:51 AM
My experience with Sigs metal framed guns is actual ownership and not gun store / internet hype . I own 9 P226’s and 1 P229. All bought new starting in 2011 and up to this week with my latest, a P229 LE Legion .All are shot regularly. Some more than others . I can honestly say that I’ve never seen or experienced any shoddy workmanship or quality control.
Yes I’m sure there’s some out there. Every company puts out a dud now and then . Just my experience.

Agree. I ran a couple new long extractor P226's and a P224 several years ago that I had purchased new. I had no problems in the few thousand rounds that I shot through the practice gun.

I saw enough problems on SIG Forum back in the early Cohen era guns mentioned above that I would definitely avoid them. Otherwise, I'd have no problem picking up any P22x series built in the last ten years and running it for personal use, if that was my thing.

HCM
06-25-2023, 09:09 AM

A search of P-F will show multiple members having issues with SIG P22x series guns produced between 2006 and 2015-ish. Many of the P-F members reporting issues shoot regularly and many had issues with multiple guns as part of LE agencies.

The problems were not just workmanship / QC. During that period SIG was actively making changes to the 22x series to cut manufacturing costs. These included changing suppliers for parts of lesser quality and substituting MIM parts for forged parts. The MIM versions of the short extractor were so problematic SIG had to introduce the long style extractor, which was itself problematic for its first 2 - 3 years till the bugs were worked out.

As noted up thread, during this period (2006-2015) multiple LE agencies which issued P22x series guns conducted life cycle replacements and found their new guns were problematic and not the equal of their prior guns.

SIG seems to have worked out the bugs, currently production P22x guns seem to work but it was a long road back from the bad times.

HCM
06-25-2023, 09:11 AM
226s and 229s were funky about that time - entire batches of them. Almost all in .40s.

It wasn’t anything unique to .40, .40 was the LE standard at the time.

Exiledviking
06-25-2023, 01:49 PM
My first SIG was a German made P228 back in the early 90s. I shot that pistol well and it fit my hands like it was made for my hands. I foolishly sold it. I started keeping my eyes open for another a few years back and stumbled onto a lightly used pre Cohen P229 in 9mm that had a SIG armorer carry level action job, SRT trigger system, and a Super strut main spring system for a very good price. I figured the P229 would be a better option for over the P228 because of the far more attractive prices and durability. Out all my DA/SA pistols, this P229 is by far the easiest to make accurate and fast hits in DA. It has a superb trigger for a DA/SA. So, OP, keep your eyes open and you should be able to pick up a lightly used 9mm P229 at a great price if you're looking more towards a shooter.

Rock185
06-25-2023, 03:24 PM
I first became acquainted with the traditional SIG pistols in the mid '80s, later carried a SIG on duty, became a SIG armorer, etc. I've owned some version or another of most of the metal framed SIGs, other than the 1911 types. I will always have a soft spot for the German/WG guns, but don't recall ever having a bad SIG, no matter the era. Unlike some of my 1911s, all my SIGs were reliable right out of the box. I guess I've never worried about getting SIGs not made during certain years...ymmv

FWIW, The 228s and 229s have always been favorites of mine. I actually prefer the chunky, heavier one piece slide of the 229s by a slight margin, especially 229s in 9mm with what is now referred to as the "Legacy" type slide. I've had others, but currently a '95 manufacture and a '17 manufacturer. Both good little guns; never an issue with either..

Lon
06-25-2023, 08:42 PM

A 20% failure rate amongst our 226s (6 of 30) goes beyond a “dud now and then”. And the fact that we had to wait MONTHS for our local rep to show up w a special press to fix one of the problems (there were 2 different problems at play) because they were running around to other agencies fixing the same problem tells me all I need to know.

TheNewbie
06-25-2023, 08:54 PM
A 20% failure rate amongst our 226s (6 of 30) goes beyond a “dud now and then”. And the fact that we had to wait MONTHS for our local rep to show up w a special press to fix one of the problems (there were 2 different problems at play) because they were running around to other agencies fixing the same problem tells me all I need to know.

It’s things like this that make me hesitant to trust Sig, even now. A P226 9mm is hard to beat for ease of shooting, but I just don’t have faith in their consistency. Especially for the price paid.

TGS
06-25-2023, 09:16 PM

Additionally, the FAMS had to return 3 successive batches of P229s around that time because they were deadlining guns at an incredible rate.

NJSP transitioned in 2016 from the P228 to the P229, with substantial issues. SIG was unable to fix the problem and the guns were returned and they transitioned to Glocks. This was a huge issue as the agency was under a budget crunch, so bad the Troopers even having their pay frozen. Private citizens need to remember that transitioning platforms for an agency is incredibly expensive, given the need to buy new support equipment and gear. To anyone that has professional experience in these matters, the fact they did this while troopers had their pay frozen speaks volumes about how bad the problem was.

The Hamilton NJ PD (~180 or so sworn) had a similar percentage of deadlined guns as you guys, mostly being cracked frames. Some of these frames would crack within the first 50 rounds fired. Note: just went and checked my notes, from 2013-2018 they deadlined 36 guns, 23 of those with cracked frames, the rest with recurring malfunctions that couldn't be rectified by the armorers nor SIG.

AMC reported similar problems at SFPD as we are talking about here. If I recall correctly, you, me and him were talking about this a while ago and finding out the problems were pretty widespread among agencies all across America.

As is common for federal agencies, we bought thousands of P229s sometime when we first adopted them in the early 2000s in one big batch, and put the majority into storage pending issue at later date. Those guns were great. Around 2015-2016 the supply was beginning to dwindle and we needed to buy new guns. Could've just bought new P229-1s, but with all the widespread problems with agencies across the US the decision was made to ditch them and piggy back the FBI Glock contract. What's funny is when we decided to ditch the wheelguns for auto-chuckers in 1993, there was a delay on the SIG P228s coming in, so one or more new agent classes were armed with Glocks on loan from another agency (I've heard an upper limit of 100 total agents in all). They had to hand them in a few months later for SIGs, just to hand in the SIGs in 2018 for Glocks yet again. Kind of funny how that circle of life closed the loop. :p

AMC
06-25-2023, 09:59 PM
Additionally, the FAMS had to return 3 successive batches of P229s around that time because they were deadlining guns at an incredible rate.

The Hamilton NJ PD (~180 or so sworn) had a similar percentage of deadlined guns as you guys, mostly being cracked frames. Some of these frames would crack within the first 50 rounds fired.

AMC reported similar problems at SFPD as we are talking about here. If I recall correctly, you, me and him were talking about this a while ago and finding out the problems were pretty widespread among agencies all across America.

As is common for federal agencies, we bought thousands of P229s sometime when we first adopted them in the early 2000s in one big batch, and put the majority into storage pending issue at later date. Those guns were great. Around 2015-2016 the supply was beginning to dwindle and we needed to buy new guns. Could've just bought new P229-1s, but with all the widespread problems with agencies across the US the decision was made to ditch them and piggy back the FBI Glock contract. What's funny is when we decided to ditch the wheelguns for auto-chuckers in 1993, there was a delay on the SIG P228s coming in, so one or more new agent classes were armed with Glocks on loan from another agency (I've heard an upper limit of 100 total agents in all). They had to hand them in a few months later for SIGs, just to hand in the SIGs in 2018 for Glocks yet again. Kind of funny how that circle of life closed the loop. :p

There were two main issues with the particular manufacturing range of 226 pistols we're talking about here. Sig made the decision at the time to simplify manufacturing for the frames. The DAK trigger bar required a slightly modified (thinned out) frame....on the right side just forward of the grip tang, under the grip panels. They decided to produce only the DAK style frames for all guns. It was those frames that we were cracking at crazy rates....all in the same place under that grip panel. I recently talked to one of the department armorers I used to supervise. He said they'd broken another 80 guns since I left. Sig has refused to warranty the guns, and one of their vice presidents accused the armorers of not doing preventative maintenance, because they hadn't purchased all of the necessary parts from Sig. Funny, but Sig isn't the only place you can buy Sig parts. And every one of those guns had rounds counts and maintenance noted on their cards.

The other issue was the aforementioned problems with MIM parts. For us, it was mostly MIM hammers that broke. But I know of extractors breaking as well.

HCM
06-25-2023, 10:13 PM

The Hamilton NJ PD (~180 or so sworn) had a similar percentage of deadlined guns as you guys, mostly being cracked frames. Some of these frames would crack within the first 50 rounds fired.

The NJ State police had such significant issues with their P229s and SIGs inability to fix them between 2014 and 2017 that the state sued SIG for a full refund ($1.6 million).

See the complaint / court filing here:

https://images.guns.com/wordpress/2017/05/New-Jersey-State-Police-Sig-Sauer-Complaint.pdf

Ironically the 229s were life cycle replacements for the SIG 228s NJSP adopted after an equally disastrous attempt to adopt the S&W SW99, a S&W licensed variant of the Walther P99. AFAIK the NJSP’s excellent experience with the P228 for over a decade was a factor in selecting the ill-fated P229s.

If I recall correctly, the 229s were replaced with Glock 19s?

TheNewbie
06-25-2023, 10:13 PM
There were two main issues with the particular manufacturing range of 226 pistols we're talking about here. Sig made the decision at the time to simplify manufacturing for the frames. The DAK trigger bar required a slightly modified (thinned out) frame....on the right side just forward of the grip tang, under the grip panels. They decided to produce only the DAK style frames for all guns. It was those frames that we were cracking at crazy rates....all in the same place under that grip panel. I recently talked to one of the department armorers I used to supervise. He said they'd broken another 80 guns since I left. Sig has refused to warranty the guns, and one of their vice presidents accused the armorers of not doing preventative maintenance, because they hadn't purchased all of the necessary parts from Sig. Funny, but Sig isn't the only place you can buy Sig parts. And every one of those guns had rounds counts and maintenance noted on their cards.

The other issue was the aforementioned problems with MIM parts. For us, it was mostly MIM hammers that broke. But I know of extractors breaking as well.

Is Sig's CS mindset still the same, blame the customer?

Very disappointing.

TGS
06-25-2023, 10:15 PM
I recently talked to one of the department armorers I used to supervise. He said they'd broken another 80 guns since I left. Sig has refused to warranty the guns

Holy fuck.

Thanks for the note about the details of the frame cracking, as well.

TGS
06-25-2023, 10:18 PM
The NJ State police had such significant issues with their P229s and SIGs inability to fix them between 2014 and 2017 that the state sued SIG for a full refund ($1.6 million).

See the complaint / court filing here:

https://images.guns.com/wordpress/2017/05/New-Jersey-State-Police-Sig-Sauer-Complaint.pdf

Ironically the 229s were life cycle replacements for the SIG 228s NJSP adopted after an equally disastrous attempt to adopt the S&W SW99, a S&W licensed variant of the Walther P99. AFAIK the NJSP’s excellent experience with the P228 for over a decade was a factor in selecting the ill-fated P229s.

If I recall correctly, the 229s were replaced with Glock 19s?

Yeah, Gen 4s.

And before any SIG apologists come out of the woodwork with conspiracy theories on NJSP using bad steel case ammo which caused the issue...no, NJSP was shooting Speer 124gr Lawman and Speer 124gr Gold Dot, confirmed by a Trooper right here at P-F.com.

Exiledviking
06-25-2023, 10:26 PM
Did these LE pistol issues occur after Cohen took the helm at SIG USA?

TGS
06-25-2023, 10:30 PM
Did these LE pistol issues occur after Cohen took the helm at SIG USA?

Yes, but that's a pretty big range with some nuances.

Our agency pistols were bought in 2005 and 2010, IIRC, and were fine. To be clear, I'm not a SIG hater, I really loved my issued SIG, and personally owned another P229, a P228, a P226, and a P239.

The general QC issues and dogshit CS seem to start with Cohen in general, but the problem with the guns actively killing themselves seems to start with 2013

Lon
06-25-2023, 11:09 PM
Video of one type of issue we had. Brand new guns. Less than 50 rounds through them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/nYYenip0ATI?feature=share

AMC
06-25-2023, 11:09 PM
Is Sig's CS mindset still the same, blame the customer?

Very disappointing.

My experience of Sig Field Reps was that they were generally good dudes, often open to listening, who tried to help us resolve issues. However, if they came to be seen as advocates of the customer and not the company, they got the ax. Happened three times.

The higher-up types? Like the VPs on the LE side? Lying demons straight from hell. If the gun broke, it's clear you broke it.

TGS
06-26-2023, 11:02 AM
Video of one type of issue we had. Brand new guns. Less than 50 rounds through them.

Video is set to private. Any way to watch it?

Lon
06-26-2023, 11:14 AM
Video is set to private. Any way to watch it?

Fixed. Sorry about that.

TiroFijo
06-26-2023, 12:43 PM

:( Uuufff

Nick B
06-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Fixed. Sorry about that.
What year was that ?

Lon
06-26-2023, 05:54 PM
What year was that ?

2014. Guns mfg in 2013.

fatdog
06-27-2023, 03:13 PM
I have read many times from members here that the Mec-gar mags are good to go in these 228/229 platforms, as well as the P226, which is not surprising.

Anybody ever had a negative experience with the Mec-gar 9mm 15 rounders specifically made for the P228? (not talking the larger E2 229-1 versions)

I want to snag a few more mags for my old P228 and the only real deal on factory mags I can find are the used factory mags at J&G Sales. For the same price I can get new 15 round Mec-gar's but I want something "carry worthy", not more practice mags.

TGS
06-27-2023, 03:21 PM
I have read many times from members here that the Mec-gar mags are good to go in these 228/229 platforms, as well as the P226, which is not surprising.

Anybody ever had a negative experience with the Mec-gar 9mm 15 rounders specifically made for the P228? (not talking the larger E2 229-1 versions)

I want to snag a few more mags for my old P228 and the only real deal on factory mags I can find are the used factory mags at J&G Sales. For the same price I can get new 15 round Mec-gar's but I want something "carry worthy", not more practice mags.

Those Meg-Gar 15 round mags are what I used in my P228 and P229, and the Mec-Gar 18 round mags (same 15 round magazine +3 extension) were very popular at work. I never had any problems with them, though they did that annoying thing where one round within the stack will jiggle around loose inside the mag body and make noise. The factory 13 rounders never did that.

JAH 3rd
06-27-2023, 03:30 PM
Not familiar with the Sig P series.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/mec-gar-sig-sauer-p228-9mm-15-round-magazine.html

Suvorov
06-27-2023, 03:37 PM

My selection of about 5 of the 15 rounders with more than 2000 rounds have proven them to be utterly reliable to me.

fatdog
06-27-2023, 03:48 PM
Based on who is saying they are good to go, I am going to order these and give them a workout.

Not familiar with the Sig P series.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/mec-gar-sig-sauer-p228-9mm-15-round-magazine.html

Yes, 20% cheaper at here (https://tacticalsurplususa.com/high-capacity-magazines/magazine/mec-gar-mag-sig-p228-9mm/?sku=MCGP22815B)

the used factory originals (https://www.jgsales.com/-p-86879.html)

J&G is a long used well known vendor for me.

I have done about a half dozen orders with these Tactical Surplus guys with perfect results so far.

Greg Cote, also a trusted supplier for me is a few bucks more for the same (https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/sig-p228-p229-9mm-15-rd-blued-not-p2291-mecgar-mgp22815b-p-619.html).

Exiledviking
06-27-2023, 04:58 PM
My P229 serial number is AAU007xx. I called SIG USA today to get a better idea of when it was made and they couldn't tell me, only a guesstimate. Anyone here have one with a similar serial number that happen to know what year that corresponds?

JAH 3rd
06-27-2023, 05:08 PM
Looks like you have options for your P228. Glad it's working out for you! I just don't keep up with the P-series and changes to the platform. I have owned a P220 and P245 decades ago. Nothing wrong with them, just traded them in on more firearms.

LockedBreech
06-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Based on who is saying they are good to go, I am going to order these and give them a workout.

Yes, 20% cheaper at here (https://tacticalsurplususa.com/high-capacity-magazines/magazine/mec-gar-mag-sig-p228-9mm/?sku=MCGP22815B)

the used factory originals (https://www.jgsales.com/-p-86879.html)

J&G is a long used well known vendor for me.

I have done about a half dozen orders with these Tactical Surplus guys with perfect results so far.

Greg Cote, also a trusted supplier for me is a few bucks more for the same (https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/sig-p228-p229-9mm-15-rd-blued-not-p2291-mecgar-mgp22815b-p-619.html).

Cote is always my go-to when he has what I want in stock. Super reliable.

Lon
06-27-2023, 05:49 PM
I ran MecGar mags exclusively in my 229 on duty. 15 rd in the gun and 20s for reloads. Factory mags got relegated to training mags.

Sig_Fiend
06-28-2023, 12:12 AM
My P229 serial number is AAU007xx. I called SIG USA today to get a better idea of when it was made and they couldn't tell me, only a guesstimate. Anyone here have one with a similar serial number that happen to know what year that corresponds?

Sounds like it's late 2005 to 2006 production. References:

Sig Sauer Classic P-Series - Serial Number List and associated manufacture/import years/information | SIGforum (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262?r=1340052972#1340052972)
Advice welcome on trade value | SIG Talk (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/advice-welcome-on-trade-value.46860/#post-571581)
P229 DAK Born date? | SIG Talk (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p229-dak-born-date.164434/)
P229 .357 Sig DAK #AAU01xxx (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p229-357-sig-dak-aau01xxx-born-date.421524/) Born date? | SIG Talk
p229 serial number | SIG Talk (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p229-serial-number.30898/)

Exiledviking
06-28-2023, 01:34 AM
Sounds like it's late 2005 to 2006 production. References:

Sig Sauer Classic P-Series - Serial Number List and associated manufacture/import years/information | SIGforum (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7320040262?r=1340052972#1340052972)
Advice welcome on trade value | SIG Talk (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/advice-welcome-on-trade-value.46860/#post-571581)
P229 DAK Born date? | SIG Talk (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p229-dak-born-date.164434/)
P229 .357 Sig DAK #AAU01xxx (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p229-357-sig-dak-aau01xxx-born-date.421524/) Born date? | SIG Talk
p229 serial number | SIG Talk (https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p229-serial-number.30898/)Thank you! I appreciate it.

MDFA
06-30-2023, 03:49 PM
This thread started me bidding on P228's on GB... So don't bid against me...

MDFA
07-07-2023, 03:32 AM
Waiting on delivery.

Sammy1
07-07-2023, 11:00 AM
Isn't the P229 classic carry the closet to a P228? SS solid slide but 228 (229 non 1) frame. They are around if you can find one.

Joe in PNG
07-07-2023, 11:13 AM
Aim Surplus has 229's in 9mm for $500.
(https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-trade-in-sig-sauer-9mm-p229-dasa-pistol)

MattyD380
07-07-2023, 01:09 PM

Damn. That' a good deal.

The one pictured appears to have the Made in Germany frame and the old-style barrel finish/markings. In other words, we're talkin' OG, real-deal Sigs from the early '90s. Basically P228s with milled slides. Also, P229s from this era seem less common in 9mm--you see .40s all day. Plus, the lack of a rail makes them even more... neat.

If I didn't have one just like this, I'd buy one.

The one pictured looks like it's had the slide pin replaced with a newer-style one. The Sigs from this period had black pins with rounded ends in the slide; they went to a silver spiral pin later, which is what the one pictured appears to have. Obviously, not sure if all guns in the batch will have that. But... with this one at least, seems like it's been maintained and had parts replaced. Which I suppose is good.

UNK
07-07-2023, 05:52 PM
Damn. That' a good deal.

The one pictured appears to have the Made in Germany frame and the old-style barrel finish/markings. In other words, we're talkin' OG, real-deal Sigs from the early '90s. Basically P228s with milled slides. Also, P229s from this era seem less common in 9mm--you see .40s all day. Plus, the lack of a rail makes them even more... neat.

The one pictured looks like it's had the slide pin replaced with a newer-style one. The Sigs from this period had black pins with rounded ends in the slide; they went to a silver spiral pin later, which is what the one pictured appears to have. Obviously, not sure if all guns in the batch will have that. But... with this one at least, seems like it's been maintained and had parts replaced. Which I suppose is good.

Its a 13 round magazine. Is that the old or new style?

MattyD380
07-07-2023, 06:35 PM
Its a 13 round magazine. Is that the old or new style?

13 is the original configuration for P228/P229-9 mags. You can obviously get 15 rounders for any 9mm P228/P229 nowadays. But I tend to think increasing capacity without increasing mag tube size, means decreasing follower depth. Which can mean the followers are more prone to tilt. I haven’t heard of any issues with the P229 15 rounders. But… the 13s are definitely proven.

Sero Sed Serio
07-07-2023, 07:31 PM
Damn. That' a good deal.

Just as an FYI the gun pictured appears to have been rebuilt at some point, or is a factory mashup—the takedown lever is a one-piece MIM molded to look like the second generation 2 piece machined units, I’ve never seen a 9mm from that era with a thin trigger (every once in a while you’ll see an early 90s .40 with one), and as mentioned the coil pin vs. the black solid pins in use until the mid-00s. If you’re looking for pre-MIM German engineering at its finest, I’d look elsewhere.

UNK
07-07-2023, 07:58 PM
Just as an FYI the gun pictured appears to have been rebuilt at some point, or is a factory mashup—the takedown lever is a one-piece MIM molded to look like the second generation 2 piece machined units, I’ve never seen a 9mm from that era with a thin trigger (every once in a while you’ll see an early 90s .40 with one), and as mentioned the coil pin vs. the black solid pins in use until the mid-00s. If you’re looking for pre-MIM German engineering at its finest, I’d look elsewhere.

In this day and age is MIM failure a concern and if so on what parts. On any platform or mfg.

Sero Sed Serio
07-07-2023, 08:04 PM
In this day and age is MIM failure a concern and if so on what parts. On any platform or mfg.

Given some of the failures seen in SIG parts (such as takedown levers) when they transitioned to MIM, for me personally with this weapon? Yes. Others may feel the same or differently, and I feel differently about different makes (I have no issues carrying current production Glocks or HKs, for instance). It’s less about MIM and more about overall quality from SIG declining over the years, and I want to make sure if someone buys this guy that they’re getting what they expect.

HCM
07-07-2023, 09:56 PM

Regardless of the current state of MIM, even in New SIG’s these are guns from the 90s that I’ve had parts replaced at unknown intervals sometime over the last 30 years.

Givin SIG’s early failures at one to one replacement of forge parts with MIN parts of the same dimensions It’s a concern. Even SIG had to admit defeat and design the long extractor to accommodate the properties of MIM materials after the abject failure of making the short extractor via MIM.

There’s good MIM and bad MIM.

Good or bad in this case has two aspects. The actual quality of the parts them selves, and whether the design takes into account the material properties of MIM.

HK pistols from the USP forward are the classic example of good MIM.

Sig_Fiend
07-07-2023, 09:59 PM
Given some of the failures seen in SIG parts (such as takedown levers) when they transitioned to MIM, for me personally with this weapon? Yes. Others may feel the same or differently, and I feel differently about different makes (I have no issues carrying current production Glocks or HKs, for instance). It’s less about MIM and more about overall quality from SIG declining over the years, and I want to make sure if someone buys this guy that they’re getting what they expect.

THIS. MIM, as a technology, can be just fine and produce perfectly sufficient parts for use in a firearm. It's all about the quality of that MIM.
Porsche has used MIM and now even 3D printing for critical engine components. HK uses MIM in at least their hammer guns (I don't know about the VP series), and those components don't ever seem to fail.

The problem is SIG USA has a long pattern of behavior (at least 15-18yrs at this point, basically since Cohen took over) that seems to not place much emphasis on quality of MIM, or quality in general, but rather what's best for the bottom line.

UNK
07-08-2023, 09:45 AM
Regardless of the current state of MIM, even in New SIG’s these are guns from the 90s that I’ve had parts replaced at unknown intervals sometime over the last 30 years.

Givin SIG’s early failures at one to one replacement of forge parts with MIN parts of the same dimensions It’s a concern. Even SIG had to admit defeat and design the long extractor to accommodate the properties of MIM materials after the abject failure of making the short extractor via MIM.

There’s good MIM and bad MIM.

Good or bad in this case has two aspects. The actual quality of the parts them selves, and whether the design takes into account the material properties of MIM.

HK pistols from the USP forward are the classic example of good MIM.

Are the properties of 4140 mim not equal to 4140 forged?

HCM
07-08-2023, 11:19 AM
Are the properties of 4140 mim not equal to 4140 forged?

No.

Forged, cast and MIM steel are not 1:1 equal.

Forged is the strongest but also the most expensive. It takes the most machine time and result in the most waste material. Conversely, am I am is the quickest to make, and has the least waste of material, but it’s not as physically strong on a one to one basis.

The way around this is to re-design parts so that you have enough MIM material to meet the required demand of the job.

Look at the thickness of a forged S&W 686 frame vs a cast Ruger GP—100 frame. The cast frame does the job just as well but needs to be thicker to do the same job.

When SIG tried to make one to one copies of their short extractor MIM instead of forged steel it resulted in broken extractors.

Hence SIG’s transition to the “long” style extractor. The MIM part needed to be larger and have more leverage to do the same job. Once SIG got over the initial teething problems the long instructor work just fine because it took into account the material properties of MIM.

UNK
07-08-2023, 02:03 PM
No.

Forged, cast and MIM steel are not 1:1 equal.

Forged is the strongest but also the most expensive. It takes the most machine time and result in the most waste material. Conversely, am I am is the quickest to make, and has the least waste of material, but it’s not as physically strong on a one to one basis.

The way around this is to re-design parts so that you have enough MIM material to meet the required demand of the job.

Look at the thickness of a forged S&W 686 frame vs a cast Ruger GP—100 frame. The cast frame does the job just as well but needs to be thicker to do the same job.

When SIG tried to make one to one copies of their short extractor MIM instead of forged steel it resulted in broken extractors.

Hence SIG’s transition to the “long” style extractor. The MIM part needed to be larger and have more leverage to do the same job. Once SIG got over the initial teething problems the long instructor work just fine because it took into account the material properties of MIM.

Perfect info thanks! Now back to the thread sorry for the diversion.

MattyD380
07-09-2023, 12:28 PM

It definitely has a MIM takedown lever. Also, the short trigger is also MIM, and not original to the gun, as mentioned. If this pistol was sent into Sig (or updated by an armorer) it's likely those parts were replaced with newer (MIM) parts. I've sent older Sigs into the factory for the spa treatment and they did indeed come back with MIM takedown levers.

But I wouldn't be overly concerned about the takedown lever and the trigger being MIM (unless... I should?). Personally, I'd want a non-MIM/machined locking insert (which is the thing that cams the barrel) and a non-MIM short extractor (per HCM). Of course, you can't tell for sure if those parts have been replaced with MIM parts from these pictures... but I don't think Sig makes a habit of replacing those parts in factory overhauls of older pistols? My '90s P220 and P239 came back to me (from Sig) with their original machined locking inserts. And I'd be really surprised if they touched the machined short extractor in my P239.

MDFA
07-09-2023, 01:55 PM
It's a moot point as far as those ones go, they are sold out according to the link.

Sero Sed Serio
07-09-2023, 04:53 PM
No connection to the seller, but this looks almost unfired:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/991157696

Exiledviking
07-09-2023, 04:59 PM
There's an "excellent condition" SIG M11-A1 with a spare threaded barrel on another forum if anyone is interested. "It will come with 3- 15 round magazines , 2 barrels (OEM and Sig Threaded Barrel). About 500 rds thru the OEM barrel and 100 thru the TB. $875 Shipped to your FFL."

MattyD380
07-09-2023, 05:54 PM

Doooooooood....

That's the one to get. It's definitely got the "OG-good-shit" version of everything we've been talking about. ALSO, this one has matching serial numbers on the frame, slide and barrel--which is very rare for Sigs with machined slides. It probably means this entire gun was made in Germany--as opposed to having a US slide on a German frame, which is almost always the case for any early/mid '90s Sig with a machined slide. In the US, anyway.

Curious to see how much it goes for.

Super77
07-09-2023, 06:19 PM

Any concern with it not having German proof marks?

MattyD380
07-09-2023, 06:40 PM

Good call on the proof marks. I stand corrected--seems like this one was assembled in the US, given the lack of proof marks... though possibly from German-made parts:

https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/german-p229.142922/

Look at post #10. He shows 2 P229s marked just like the one for sale.

It's still a unique, cool early P229 in fantastic shape. I'd love to have it. But I'm guessing it'll shoot no better than my janky police-trade P229 from the same vintage.

Sero Sed Serio
07-09-2023, 07:09 PM

I just double-checked my AE-prefix P229, no proof marks. I think most P229s were assembled in the US with the frame made in Germany like this one.

MDFA
07-10-2023, 04:01 AM
Waiting on delivery.

And waiting on a second one...

Both are West German Pistols with matching serial numbers and proof marks.

So much for 2nd day delivery on the first one. Looks like tomorrow.

Evil_Ed
07-10-2023, 07:59 AM
There were several threads on M11A1s and 229s circa 2015 and onwards...earlier versions with earlier long extractors had lots of failure to extract (especially with WWB!), and a lot of data was bought forth from the NJSP about their experiment with issuing the P229E2s and having to send them back to Sig repeatedly...leading up to them shit-canning the entire 229 lineup as their duty issued gun and moving on to something else (the M&P I think? I forget, it's been a while).

If your gun has the long extractor and the extractor rev is "2" or higher, you should be fine. I have a 9mm RXP kit on a 357Sig gov't issued DAK gun that is great. I don't shoot it very much...it might sound dumb but the grip angle on Sigs is so vertical that I involuntarily rotate my grip when shooting to better match ...literally everything else on the market... so I wind up shooting these things low since I keep trying to rotate my wrist forward. It's not a recoil thing as they shoot really softly, and it's not something I do on other similar guns like a PX4 or HK P30...who knows. It's a me thing, and it's one of those things that I'm not sure it's worth the training time and ammo to wring out of myself. It would be if I were going to dump everything else I have and go all-in on the 22x series (and honestly it wouldn't be a bad thing if I did that), but...that's just not going to happen.

MDFA
07-11-2023, 04:22 AM
My first P228 arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. It's a West German Pistol with all matching serial numbers, proof marks and date codes. It's a 1990 date code pistol. It's in excellent shape with the original factory box and manual. No test target however. All original parts. I stripped it down and gave it a detailed cleaning and inspection. No issues and I would say a very low round count. We'll see what #2 looks like in a few days. I'm very pleased with it.

fatdog
07-11-2023, 04:41 AM
That is an excellent find.

Because nostalgia seems to have an outsized role at this point in my life, and my CCW semi-auto pistol was either a P228 or P220 from about '87 until 2000 I am pretty far down this hole.

I have a P228 of similar vintage that I recently updated with a short reset trigger kit from Gray's, a set of checkered aluminum Hogue grips, 3M step tape for the front strap, a short reach trigger, Wolf 19# mainspring, fresh recoil spring, and a set of Warren Tactical sights with an orange'd front. With the 15 round Mec-gar's it is no longer a collector's item to me, but a real serious hard use pistol. It groups well with both 124gr +P Gold Dot and HST. Rounded out with JMCK IWB #3 and a horsehide Kramer IWB#3 for cooler weather, it is now my personal version of what is the viable DA/SA G19 replacement.

So now a practice gun with identical features is required.....:p

Sammy1
07-11-2023, 09:05 AM
Just visited Sig's website and found the weight variations with P229 interesting.

P229: 34.4 oz
Elite: 32.0 oz
Pro: 30.1 oz
Legion: 31.1 oz
M11A1: 29.6 oz

MDFA
07-11-2023, 04:22 PM
That is an excellent find.

Because nostalgia seems to have an outsized role at this point in my life, and my CCW semi-auto pistol was either a P228 or P220 from about '87 until 2000 I am pretty far down this hole.

I have a P228 of similar vintage that I recently updated with a short reset trigger kit from Gray's, a set of checkered aluminum Hogue grips, 3M step tape for the front strap, a short reach trigger, Wolf 19# mainspring, fresh recoil spring, and a set of Warren Tactical sights with an orange'd front. With the 15 round Mec-gar's it is no longer a collector's item to me, but a real serious hard use pistol. It groups well with both 124gr +P Gold Dot and HST. Rounded out with JMCK IWB #3 and a horsehide Kramer IWB#3 for cooler weather, it is now my personal version of what is the viable DA/SA G19 replacement.

So now a practice gun with identical features is required.....:p

Kind of what I'm planning. Just waiting on the second one to arrive to decide which one I modify first, and if I keep one stock for the collector value. I've already ordered some of the components.

MattyD380
07-11-2023, 10:27 PM
My first P228 arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. It's a West German Pistol with all matching serial numbers, proof marks and date codes. It's a 1990 date code pistol. It's in excellent shape with the original factory box and manual. No test target however. All original parts. I stripped it down and gave it a detailed cleaning and inspection. No issues and I would say a very low round count. We'll see what #2 looks like in a few days. I'm very pleased with it.

Congrats. That is beautiful. To me, the P228 is the quintessential Sig. I’m happy with my P229 (and P239s), but something about the P228 just captures the essence of the ‘90s, for me.

Probably has a lot to do with Dana Scully.

Suvorov
07-11-2023, 10:46 PM
YOU BASTARDS are going to get me shooting my P229 and P228 again!

They are great guns though. My 228 belonged to my father, low mileage “German” gun 1994 vintage. Didn’t want to turn it into a high mileage gun so when the P228 bug bit hard 10 or so years ago I purchased a Flint PD DAO police trade in. After switching it to TDA and figuring out how to remove the magazine safety so I could install an SRT into it, it became my primary shooter for 2-3 years putting well over 3000 rounds though it. It looked to be fairly well used (a few dings on the German frame and prominent finish wear on the barely with a distinct smile) when I got it and with what I’ve put through it I still am impressed with how tight it feels.

SecondsCount
07-11-2023, 11:16 PM

Nice purchase. The 90s were the pinnacle of quality for Sig. I wish I had picked up a P228 back then but I still have my P226, purchased new in the mid 90s when the hi cap ban went into effect.

MattyD380
07-11-2023, 11:27 PM
That’s awesome. I know these guns can stand up to rounds. My P229 has some mileage—but it’s still very accurate and very pleasant gun to shoot.

In case anyone’s looking for sight options… I’ve been using an Ameriglo front (https://ameriglo.com/products/details/sg-212-220-o) with the stock rear aperture. I just black out the rear dot, and the sight picture is perfect (for me, anyway). And you’re only buying one sight. I have one of my P239s and my P245 set up that way. Love the way they shoot in that configuration.

I need to get P229 on that level, stat. And my P6.

TheNewbie
07-12-2023, 01:09 AM
That’s awesome. I know these guns can stand up to rounds. My P229 has some mileage—but it’s still very accurate and very pleasant gun to shoot.

In case anyone’s looking for sight options… I’ve been using an Ameriglo front (https://ameriglo.com/products/details/sg-212-220-o) with the stock rear aperture. I just black out the rear dot, and the sight picture is perfect (for me, anyway). And you’re only buying one sight. I have one of my P239s and my P245 set up that way. Love the way they shoot in that configuration.

How do the P239 and P245 compare in size and loaded weight?

I doubt I will get a Sig anytime soon, but I still enjoy thinking about how common TDA/DAK Sigs were when I first started my career.

MattyD380
07-12-2023, 01:52 AM
How do the P239 and P245 compare in size and loaded weight?

I doubt I will get a Sig anytime soon, but I still enjoy thinking about how common TDA/DAK Sigs were when I first started my career.

They're similar, for sure. But different enough to matter, I guess...

This is my .357 P239--so it has the taller, heavier slide. But, for compact single stacks in a heavier calibers, I think they're the ones to compare.

I haven't weighed them, but I think the .357 P239 feels a bit heavier than the P245? That might just be because it feels more dense. The slides on the .40/.357 P239s feel like little bricks of steel. The 9mm P239 just feels smaller and lighter overall.

The P245's slide is a bit longer. Which I don't mind for AIWB. Overall height is similar, but the grip itself is slightly shorter on the P245. In some ways, I think the P245 might carry a bit better? But when you go down to the 9mm P239, I feel like it's kind of a different gun, with a slightly different role... it's the handiest, in my opinion. Whereas the .40/.357 P239s and the P245 seem more like mid-sized hand cannons. Subjective, of course.

Sig_Fiend
07-12-2023, 09:32 AM
In case anyone’s looking for sight options… I’ve been using an Ameriglo front with the stock rear aperture. I just black out the rear dot, and the sight picture is perfect (for me, anyway). And you’re only buying one sight. I have one of my P239s and my P245 set up that way. Love the way they shoot in that configuration.

Another option not often pictured. Here's the Trijicon Fiber sights (https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/sg701-c-601050) on a P6 (also fits the P228, not sure if it's a different sku for the P229). The front sight honestly isn't great IMO and was a PITA to file and install.
The rear, however, is excellent. The notch is probably nearly double the depth of most and a nice and tight 0.125" width (.110" front sight width).

107047 107048

MDFA
07-12-2023, 01:24 PM

That's the sight I have ordered and I'm going to use the stock rear sight. I have orders in with Brownell's, Midway, Sig. Ameriglo, and a NcStar Front and Rear Sight Tool. Just need to decide when my second 228 arrives as to which one I'll modify and which I'll leave stock or basically so. I won't change anything on that one that I can't return to original condition. At least I had holsters that work with the 228. :cool:

MDFA
07-12-2023, 01:34 PM
Just visited Sig's website and found the weight variations with P229 interesting.

P229: 34.4 oz
Elite: 32.0 oz
Pro: 30.1 oz
Legion: 31.1 oz
M11A1: 29.6 oz

Just weighed my P228 Loaded with 14 115gr. HP. 34.90 oz.

MDFA
07-12-2023, 03:33 PM
Another member has a P228 in the For Sale Forum if anyone is looking for one. I have NO Connection to that member or the sale of the pistol. Mods please delete if I have violated any rules.

JJN
07-12-2023, 06:13 PM

I picked up a P229R in .40S&W for four bills. It's from 2009, Germany frame, and AMxxxxxx SN. Anything I should be watching out for?

Thanks,
Jon

Chuck Whitlock
07-12-2023, 08:19 PM

I use that same sight (#6) on my P250c with the factory rear.

MDFA
07-14-2023, 05:12 AM
My second P228 arrived yesterday. (Bottom one in the Photo). It's a West German Pistol with correct serial numbers, date code and proof marks. It's a 1994 Pistol. I'm replacing all springs in both pistols with Wolff Spring Kits. And changing the Breech Block Pins. Pistol #1 is going to be a back up in the safe. Pistol #2 is getting an Ameriglo Front Sight, the spring replacement to include a 19lb hammer spring, a Short Reach Trigger and Hogue G10 Contour Classic Inverse Checkered Grips.

fatdog
07-14-2023, 05:20 AM
ya done good...

JAH 3rd
07-14-2023, 09:29 AM
My left eye is getting a little twitchy. This usually happens just before I hit the "buy" button. "Resistance is futile".....the Borg. Star Trek TNG.

MDFA
07-14-2023, 12:39 PM
ya done good...

Thanks
Didn't you say you needed a second one to set up a duplicate of your carry pistol?

MDFA
07-14-2023, 12:41 PM
My left eye is getting a little twitchy. This usually happens just before I hit the "buy" button. "Resistance is futile".....the Borg. Star Trek TNG.

I got sniped with one minute left once and 3 minutes another time. But it worked out with both of the one's I got...

fatdog
07-14-2023, 01:03 PM
Thanks
Didn't you say you needed a second one to set up a duplicate of your carry pistol?

Yes, I am thinking I can get one of the police trade, non W. Germany, Cohen era, versions of the 228 and do stuff to make it identical in terms of trigger, grips, and sights, as a pure shooter, for a practice gun that stays dirty and gets lots of rounds....but no life and death kilt in da streetz risk when the MIM Indian SRT sear crumbles, the MIM hammer flys apart or the early version long extractor implodes...