PDA

View Full Version : California man who pummeled, shot at female deputy found not guilty despite video of

G19Fan
06-16-2023, 11:53 PM
Lunacy

I am mind blown this was the verdict. Tons of friends are LEOs in Cali and they generally are pretty demoralized.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-man-who-pummeled-shot-at-female-deputy-found-not-guilty-despite-video-of-attack

Trooper224
06-17-2023, 12:32 AM
Turn in your badges and look to yourself, they're not worth it.

jnc36rcpd
06-17-2023, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately, in this day and age of feelings, the sheriff did not remark that the jury members were a bunch of feeble-minded idiots and that, given their verdict, deputies might slow their response to other similar calls for service in all neighborhoods which would include jury members' homes.

OK, venting done, I was suggesting staging for at least one additional unit when responding on domestics thirty years ago when we started the "pro-prosecution domestic violence initiative". It was a good idea then and a better one now. That also applies to making arrests or delivering other bad news as that the suspect's vehicle needs o be towed. In some circumstances, you need to go it alone, but often impatience or presumed compliance leads an officer into harm's way.

In the incident case, the complainant was now armed and seemingly chasing the suspect out the door, We could hear sirens as the incident unfolded. Waiting thirty seconds might have resulted in a much better outcome.

Totem Polar
06-17-2023, 01:38 AM
I remember that video from 2019. Shameful verdict.

I *think* Cecil Burch posted commentary at the time.

HCountyGuy
06-17-2023, 09:39 AM
There isn’t a single polite thing I could say to or about the sort of sub-humans who would render such a verdict in the face of clear and irrefutable video depicting the incident.

My sympathies to the LEOs who have to work in such a criminal-enabling cesspool of a community. I would implore those LEOs to find other employment with haste.

blues
06-17-2023, 10:39 AM
I won't even try to express my thoughts.

vcdgrips
06-17-2023, 10:57 AM
Blessedly, I work in the Midwest and not on the coasts given these ever increasing happenings. It is simply a matter of time before that comes here too.

Ramble on point follows—

From 2016 thru 2022, I was in SVU after doing guns/drugs/violent crime etc from 1997 to 2016.

Because SVU cases tend NOT to go to trial, I was also assisting younger attys in the office with with trial prep of basic drug/guns cases. My primary responsibility would be preparing LEO witnesses for their trial testimony and functioning as a second chair.

Since 2021-To a person, ALL of them were planning to retire as soon as they were able. Moreover, for the first time in my career, I came across multiple officers who are leaving with less than 20 years such that will not be able to access their “pension” based on years of service until they are in their early 50s. They are simply done.

DaBigBR
06-18-2023, 05:39 PM
It's puzzling that such an argument could be presented to a jury.

kwb377
06-18-2023, 08:16 PM
It's puzzling that such an argument could be presented to a jury.

I'm guessing there were lots of Pruis and Subarus in the jury parking lot and the defense knew exactly who their audience was.

Gumby
06-18-2023, 08:52 PM
The anti-law enforcement feeling among the public here is well known. I have family members that tell me, "We don't need cops, we'll take care of the problem ourselves".

SoCalDep
06-18-2023, 09:09 PM
Three and a half months...

AMC
06-18-2023, 11:05 PM

We're all here waiting for you on the other side of the river....

Joe in PNG
06-19-2023, 05:56 AM
The anti-law enforcement feeling among the public here is well known. I have family members that tell me, "We don't need cops, we'll take care of the problem ourselves".

A belief inevitably changed when someone else with more power views them as the problem. Or a source of shakedown money...er, "protection from the real criminals".

hufnagel
06-19-2023, 04:43 PM
why does the Rorschach line from the Watchmen come to mind, for police in cali to say to the residents of same?
sadly it's not just cali that has this problem, but most of the bigger cities on the outside of the 2 mountain ranges.

Totem Polar
06-19-2023, 06:01 PM
why does the Rorschach line from the Watchmen come to mind, for police in cali to say to the residents of same?
sadly it's not just cali that has this problem, but most of the bigger cities on the outside of the 2 mountain ranges.

“I’m not trapped in here with you, you are trapped in here with me?”

hufnagel
06-19-2023, 06:06 PM
“I’m not trapped in here with you, you are trapped in here with me?”

more like...

https://youtu.be/sF8zxctevXc

first 40ish seconds.

0ddl0t
06-21-2023, 03:59 PM
Maline said jury instructions required the jury to find that McCarthy had been lawfully performing her duties at the time of the attack, and he argued that she wasn't acting lawfully.

"You can't detain somebody because you want to do an investigation," said Maline. "The jury instruction that the court read to the jury said if you want to detain somebody, you have to have a reasonable suspicion that they're engaged in criminal activity."

https://abc7.com/victorville--san-bernardino-county-sheriffs-deputy-found-not-guilty/13352182/

He was found guilty of negligent discharge of a firearm. But the jury hung on three other charges: battery against a peace officer, removal of an officer's sidearm and resisting arrest.

fastbolt
06-22-2023, 01:16 PM
Well, perhaps today the peers of criminal defendants may find themselves more sympathetic to violent criminals than the peace officers who strive to preserve the Public Peace?

Chuck Whitlock
06-22-2023, 04:23 PM
https://abc7.com/victorville--san-bernardino-county-sheriffs-deputy-found-not-guilty/13352182/

So, If I understand correctly, the jury was hung on the three charges, not that he was found not guilty?

0ddl0t
06-22-2023, 05:46 PM
So, If I understand correctly, the jury was hung on the three charges, not that he was found not guilty?

Hung on lesser charges, found not guilty of the most serious. The exception is he was guilty of negligent discharge, but had already served enough time.

UNM1136
07-28-2023, 01:17 AM

72.5 months....[sigh]

pat