PDA

View Full Version : Small survey of criminal guns

ford.304
10-23-2012, 07:17 AM
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8579

I thought this had some new information. I don't remember my statistics for how good the sample size is, but 85 firearms doesn't seem too small to draw some vague conclusions.

Some highlights:
Half of the weapons seized would not have fired - either because they were unloaded, because they were broken, or because they were loaded with the wrong ammunition.
9mm was by far the most popular caliber (although also the one most likely to be loaded with RNL or FMJ bullets instead of hollow points)
While Hi Points and the like had a showing, a large portion of the models seized would have met the approval of this forum for carry choices.

The biggest concern I have with his methodology is this:

That data I will report below comes from the details of the last 85 weapons that my agency has seized from criminals. Each of these weapons was seized from the criminal contemporaneous with the crime he committed. Some were taken from the criminal's body, some from the criminal's house, and some from the criminal’s car. I did not include guns that were donated to the department or guns used in suicides here. The majority of the weapons detailed here were taken from armed robbers and other types of criminals who were carrying guns in the commission of their crimes.

I wish he would have indicated what portion were taken from the criminal's house. I have several unloaded guns in my house, but that doesn't mean that they are unloaded when I carry them. Still, more data to think about.

StraitR
10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Criminals steal, and one of the things criminals love to steal is guns, so the fact that criminals have been busted toting quality firearms doesn't surprise me in the least. Sure, there are a ton of Lorcin, Davis, and Ravens in the pockets of hoodied hoods, but people buy quality firearms and leave them in their vehicles all the time, and they end up stolen. I run a store for a large southeast gun store chain. Everyday, and I mean everyday, I field calls from customers or a local LEO entity trying to hunt down the serial number(s) of a gun(s) stolen the night before. One email I received last week had a list of 18 guns stolen from one house.

Eighteen guns and the guy couldn't buy a safe? I bet the word "training" is foreign to him, too. Stupid hurts.

Chuck Haggard
10-24-2012, 10:16 PM
We had a local retard, I mean guy, go on vacation for two weeks and come home to find that his $40,000+ gun collection was gone.

He had stuff like AR10s just laying around the house, couldn't be bothered to buy a gun safe even though he is obviously very well off.

Car break-in yesterday resulted in our guys almost getting into a shooting while taking the bad guy into custody. Victim left his car UNLOCKED on a large parking lot with a .357mag wheelgun under the front seat.