PDA

View Full Version : USPSA Presidential Election 2023

ECK
06-13-2023, 12:52 PM
USPSA released podcast interviews with the six Presidential candidates for the office of the USPSA President. I found them on the USPSA Podcast channel, not sure if they are posted anywhere else. The facilitator (Jake) is basically asking each candidate the standard election questions on the USPSA website, but you can hear them talk about it in person on the podcast.

Candidates are:

Dexter Lopez
Steve Wright
Steve Moneypenny
Ray Hirst
Luigi Li
Todd Jarret

JCN
06-13-2023, 02:08 PM
ECK what do you make of Yee-Min still being listed as a candidate?

https://uspsa.org/elections/candidates/2023-presidential

JCN
06-13-2023, 02:16 PM
From listening to them talk, I’m leaning Moneypenny or Lopez.

ECK
06-13-2023, 04:22 PM

I’m not sure what to think. It could be that USPSA hasn’t gotten around to removing him from the list of candidates on the website. But it is telling that they only posted the interviews of the other six candidates.

Ben B
06-15-2023, 11:09 AM

He's technically eligible to run, but if elected, he would have to petition the board to reinstate him as an RO before January 1, 2024. This is the same board that just refused to reduce the level of discipline. So it's unclear why they would reinstate him early.

If they don't reinstate him, then he's considered to have resigned January 1st, and another special election for President would be triggered.

JCN
06-15-2023, 11:34 AM
He's technically eligible to run, but if elected, he would have to petition the board to reinstate him as an RO before January 1, 2024. This is the same board that just refused to reduce the level of discipline. So it's unclear why they would reinstate him early.

If they don't reinstate him, then he's considered to have resigned January 1st, and another special election for President would be triggered.

Although per the blurb, Yee Min refused to do sensitivity training which would have reduced his level of discipline so at least there was an offer on the table.

Ben B
06-15-2023, 11:46 AM
Well, history is written by the victors. The new President also labelled his removal as a "resignation". What they said was (https://uspsa.org/documents/announcements/Announcement_of_Resignation.pdf)

The Board offered to reduce his discipline to Level 3 and allow him to retain his RO certification if he agreed to accept responsibility for his behavior and complete mandatory re-education as required under the RO DisciplineProcedure.

From what I have heard through the grapevine, the conditions were deliberately more onerous than just having to take the RO class again, particularly the form that "accept responsibility" would take. I would view that official statement skeptically.

Clusterfrack
06-15-2023, 12:03 PM
I’m voting for Luigi Li. From his statement, and hearing him speak, he has good financial judgment and experience, and will focus on making USPSA transparent and representative of its members.

Clusterfrack
06-15-2023, 02:32 PM
I’m voting for Luigi Li. From his statement, and hearing him speak, he has good financial judgment and experience, and will focus on making USPSA transparent and representative of its members.

And, if he’s elected, hopefully he’ll be smart enough to stay well within the rules in every way, and watch his back because some BoD members will be looking for an excuse.

cheby
06-15-2023, 02:48 PM
YML is the only option in my opinion. Voting for anyone else is accepting what happened before.

JCN
06-15-2023, 03:23 PM
YML is the only option in my opinion. Voting for anyone else is accepting what happened before.

I’m concerned that’s what the establishment wants to happen… to split the progressive vote and thereby elect an entrenched member.

I don’t see YML as reasonably electable at this point, so a vote for him is a throwaway vote.

Clusterfrack
06-15-2023, 03:35 PM

I’m concerned that’s what the establishment wants to happen… to split the progressive vote and thereby elect an entrenched member.

I don’t see YML as reasonably electable at this point, so a vote for him is a throwaway vote.

I was just writing virtually the same thing.

cheby
06-15-2023, 04:22 PM
I was just writing virtually the same thing.

Everyone else means the board runs the whole thing and the Prez is irrelevant. Why vote at all then?

Clusterfrack
06-15-2023, 04:42 PM
Everyone else means the board runs the whole thing and the Prez is irrelevant. Why vote at all then?

Luigi looks like he can move things forward, while we wait to elect a better BoD.

ECK
06-15-2023, 04:49 PM
The 2023 election was scheduled to happen regardless of what happenened. The 2022 election that voted YML in was a special election to fill out the remainder of Foley’s term.

I suppose YML could run, be elected, but per the bylaws he would have to regain his RO/CRO certification prior to taking office.

Personally I think he had his chance and unfortunately he shit the bed with it. I’m not convinced that the BoD deliberately engineered this whole drama just to boot him.

David S.
06-15-2023, 04:57 PM
For those who care about Stoeger's opinion.

TLDR: Ben endorses Luigi Li, Ben Berry and Vincent Lucchetti

https://youtu.be/RxpgS5G67Qk

Joel Park also did an interview with Luigi Li on the PSTG Training Group Live podcast. I don't see it on YT.

I can't vote, so I don't have a dog in the fight.

YVK
06-15-2023, 05:03 PM
Luigi looks like he can move things forward, while we wait to elect a better BoD.

Nobody can move things forward unless they have true executive powers. At this point the pres is a figurehead which is why I clicked on YML again. Just for shits and giggles, to see if he can get more votes than the rest of them.

As far as YML not taking an option for "corrective action", I know a number of smart people who threw their resignations in just before the corporate could fire or discipline them. As a matter of "fuck your corrective action" if they didn't agree, or to keep their resume clean. Speaking for myself only, if I had fucked up but thought that action against me was excessive and hostile, I would've done the same.

JCN
06-15-2023, 05:40 PM

I’m skeptical. I think he’s coming at it with a target on his back from the get go. It’s basically going to wind up the same way as YML if you don’t get someone who can work WITH the egos that exist there.

Especially if they wield the power.

Clusterfrack
06-15-2023, 06:16 PM
Nobody can move things forward unless they have true executive powers. At this point the pres is a figurehead which is why I clicked on YML again. Just for shits and giggles, to see if he can get more votes than the rest of them.

As far as YML not taking an option for "corrective action", I know a number of smart people who threw their resignations in just before the corporate could fire or discipline them. As a matter of "fuck your corrective action" if they didn't agree, or to keep their resume clean. Speaking for myself only, if I had fucked up but thought that action against me was excessive and hostile, I would've done the same.

I’m skeptical. I think he’s coming at it with a target on his back from the get go. It’s basically going to wind up the same way as YML if you don’t get someone who can work WITH the egos that exist there.

Especially if they wield the power.

I sort of agree, but would still vote for Luigi. I wouldn't want the job, but if he does--more power to him.

Is it better to vote for a candidate who is:

1) a financially experienced, responsible outsider (like Luigi)?
2) a member of the good old boys club, who will help the BoD sweep their issues under the rug?
3) a symbolic throwaway vote (YML)

JCN
06-15-2023, 06:43 PM
I sort of agree, but would still vote for Luigi. I wouldn't want the job, but if he does--more power to him.

1) a financially experienced, responsible, outsider (like Luigi)?
2) a member of the good old boys club, who will help the BoD sweep their issues under the rug?

I voted for Moneypenny as someone who seemed reasonable and noninflammatory.

I wasn’t super impressed with Luigi’s tone, I think he’ll raise the hackles of the BOD and be similarly ineffective as YML.

Remember, the board is all elected so if that’s predominantly what the members want… then you kind of have to work with that framework.

Clusterfrack
06-15-2023, 06:52 PM
I voted for Moneypenny as someone who seemed reasonable and noninflammatory.

I wasn’t super impressed with Luigi’s tone, I think he’ll raise the hackles of the BOD and be similarly ineffective as YML.

Remember, the board is all elected so if that’s predominantly what the members want… then you kind of have to work with that framework.

I understand your concerns. I heard Luigi interviewed on the PSTG Podcast (https://traininggrouplive-pstg.libsyn.com/tgl-ep-129-luigi-li-for-uspsa-president), and he seemed very reasonable and calm. What I liked was his emphasis on financial accountability and transparency.

I'm all for being reasonable and cooperating with the BoD, but I want a President who will abide by the Bylaws and tell the BoD "Sorry, that's not right. We can't do it that way."

JCN
06-15-2023, 07:07 PM
I understand your concerns. I heard Luigi interviewed on the PSTG Podcast, and he seemed very reasonable and calm. What I liked was his emphasis on financial accountability and transparency.

I'm all for being reasonable and cooperating with the BoD, but I want a President who will abide by the Bylaws and tell the BoD "Sorry, that's not right. We can't do it that way."

I’m hoping we get that evolution through the upcoming BOD elections!

feudist
06-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Although per the blurb, Yee Min refused to do sensitivity training which would have reduced his level of discipline so at least there was an offer on the table.

No matter what I did, with the promise of Hell before me and forgiveness behind me, I would commit seppuku before I'd ever go to sensitivity training.

ECK
06-15-2023, 07:59 PM
I understand your concerns. I heard Luigi interviewed on the PSTG Podcast (https://traininggrouplive-pstg.libsyn.com/tgl-ep-129-luigi-li-for-uspsa-president), and he seemed very reasonable and calm. What I liked was his emphasis on financial accountability and transparency.

I listened to that podcast today. It definitely upped my opinion of Luigi. My top 2 are currently Luigi and Moneypenny. I’ve got until the 15th of next month to make up my mind.

BN
06-15-2023, 08:08 PM
If I was still a member of USPSA, I would vote for Moneypenny.

JCN
06-15-2023, 08:23 PM
I listened to that podcast today. It definitely upped my opinion of Luigi. My top 2 are currently Luigi and Moneypenny. I’ve got until the 15th of next month to make up my mind.

Does anyone know what kind of businesses Luigi runs and what kind of financial background he has? I couldn't find anything concrete.

cheby
06-15-2023, 10:07 PM
No matter what I did, with the promise of Hell before me and forgiveness behind me, I would commit seppuku before I'd ever go to sensitivity training.

That alone should be enough to vote for YML

YVK
06-15-2023, 11:08 PM

1) a financially experienced, responsible outsider (like Luigi)?

I think most of us, or at least those who posted in this thread, agree that the initial solution is in cleaning up the BoD. Which one of these three mentioned any that in their agenda? That would be a better vote.

Ben B
06-16-2023, 08:52 AM
cleaning up the BoD. Which one of these three mentioned any that in their agenda?

To some degree, that's not really up the President. Whoever the members elect is who the President gets to interact with.

Full disclosure: I'm Ben Berry, one of the candidates running for Area 6.

That said, the President does have the power to set the agenda for meetings, and run the meetings. For example, interim President and previous Area 8 Ted Murphy declaring the motion out of order (https://uspsa.org/documents/minutes/20230502.pdf) to address the fact that the board was and is violating the bylaws by allowing Area 4 to stay on the board when he was considered to have resigned the day he didn't have his RO certification.

Setting the agenda, keeping the meetings on track, and appointing a different Corporate Secretary to take better meeting minutes are the main ways the President can fight the bad behavior of whoever gets elected to the board.

Other than that, things like entering Executive Session are just a vote of the board. As long as 5 of the 9 people want to keep some discussion secret, they can and will. So flipping board seats so the people who want to keep things hush hush are a minority is where the real progress will be made. Voting against entering executive session unless absolutely necessary is one of the ways I would try to improve things if I'm elected.

Clusterfrack
06-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Ben B, do you know what Luigi Li’s day job is? He claims to have finance and management expertise, but I can’t find anything online about that.

Ben B
06-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Ben B, do you know what Luigi Li’s day job is? He claims to have finance and management expertise, but I can’t find anything online about that.

I believe currently he's an independent contractor in sales, but I think he's referring to past jobs where he's managed small teams and had to deal with budgets.

My personal perspective is that I'm voting for someone with character and vision. Someone who will do what's best for the sport, not just convenient or beneficial for himself. Someone who will make the right decision for the next 10 years, not the next 6 months.

It's the job of the board to advise on particular areas like finances and legal compliance, either from board members who have the personal experience (like A3), or through bringing in advisors (like the Org's attorney of record), and the President's job to take that direction and advice and act on it. None of the candidates have significant non-profit leadership or management experience that I'm aware of, so in that sense it's a wash.

Yankee
06-17-2023, 03:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd6bPRhZ4X4

cheby
07-17-2023, 09:07 PM
The results are in.
It is going to be a runoff election. YML got the most votes so far.

https://uspsa.org/elections/results/

JCN
07-17-2023, 09:28 PM
The results are in.

Shit man, if I thought YML was a viable candidate I would have voted for him.

I wonder if a number of the Luigi voters would vote for YML if they thought it was viable.

Has anyone heard whether YML wants to be in the running and what he plans on doing about the RO requirement?

CleverNickname
07-17-2023, 09:29 PM
The results are in.

I'm seeing results for the 2011 election?

JCN
07-17-2023, 09:30 PM
I'm seeing results for the 2011 election?

Scroll all the way down

CleverNickname
07-17-2023, 09:31 PM
Scroll all the way down

Well that's dumb.

Both me, and for USPSA not putting the most recent at the top.

cheby
07-17-2023, 10:21 PM
Shit man, if I thought YML was a viable candidate I would have voted for him.

I wonder if a number of the Luigi voters would vote for YML if they thought it was viable.

Has anyone heard whether YML wants to be in the running and what he plans on doing about the RO requirement?

As I said at the beginning of this thread, YML was/is the only option. We should stop justifying/rationalizing the way we are being f$cked. The sooner the better

JCN
07-17-2023, 10:31 PM
As I said at the beginning of this thread, YML was/is the only option. We should stop justifying/rationalizing the way we are being f$cked. The sooner the better

Just searched this out and I guess he’s really in it.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtiVnOoAVAs/?igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

Archer1440
07-18-2023, 12:04 PM
Several interesting things to note from the election stats.

1. From the 2022 election, to 2023, the number of eligible voters dropped precipitously. Why? Did USPSA actually lose more than 8600 members?

2. The relative proportion of eligible voters to actual voters was roughly the same in spite of the drop in the voter pool. A bit more than 1 in 5, which is actually pretty typical for this type of sport and membership.

Runoff rules aside, given that some very engaged people here apparently somehow did not realize YML was seriously re-running, the message seems clear as to what many of the more dialed-in members felt as to how "the situation" was (mis)handled with respect to YML. Regardless of whether those votes were a form of protest, or informed votes as to the available options, the numbers seem to speak for themselves.

CleverNickname
07-18-2023, 12:49 PM
So if YML wins the run-off, wouldn't he be immediately declared not eligible to hold office, since AFAIK he still hasn't regained his RO cert? Is the plan to shame NROI into giving him the cert back?

steve
07-18-2023, 04:48 PM
So if YML wins the run-off, wouldn't he be immediately declared not eligible to hold office, since AFAIK he still hasn't regained his RO cert? Is the plan to shame NROI into giving him the cert back?

If he wins and they don't put him in office membership will drop and the $$$ loss might get some attention.

RJ
07-18-2023, 06:07 PM
From the 2022 election, to 2023, the number of eligible voters dropped precipitously. Why? Did USPSA actually lose more than 8600 members?

Welp, I can only speak for myself, but I let my membership lapse in part due to the shenanigans I perceived perpetrated by the board. The only way I could express my dissatisfaction as a member was to walk, so I did.

It's my aspiration to resume shooting USPSA after we move (yes, again) to Ocala this fall. There's a club in Gainesville, I think, that's about an hour from where we will be. I'm very interested in how this election turns out.

CleverNickname
07-18-2023, 06:22 PM
If he wins and they don't put him in office membership will drop and the $$$ loss might get some attention.
I'm afraid that too many on the board would see disaffected members leaving as a good thing. Better to be in power of a smaller organization than give up some power and be humiliated when the guy you kicked out comes back.

RJ
07-18-2023, 06:27 PM
I'm afraid that too many on the board would see disaffected members leaving as a good thing. Better to be in power of a smaller organization than give up some power and be humiliated when the guy you kicked out comes back.

I wonder if clubs decide not to be a part of USPSA, whether that would get their attention?

It's kind of like me, showing up for a match. I mean, I'm a pretty poor shooter by USPSA standards, so why would I even join? It's not like there's a discount for being a USPSA member, I pay the same as anyone else. Sure, I would not get a "member number" and not be eligible for the online dick measuring contest that is the Classification system? (sorry, that was unkind. I apologize to Dicks everywhere.) But who cares. I'd still go shoot, and my crap score would still show up in Practiscore. I can still have a match history, and still use competition as a means of getting out and shooting on the clock with some pressure to do better, which is why I go.

JCN
07-18-2023, 06:38 PM

I have to imagine that he has a plan for this since he’s actively running.

And I think there’s a grace period after election for RO cert.

And you don’t have to be an RO to be elected, just hold office.

So I wonder if he can just re-certify if there aren’t rules against recertification after losing your cert.

CleverNickname
07-18-2023, 06:45 PM
You have to wonder if NROI would just find another reason to revoke it again then.

YVK
07-18-2023, 06:51 PM
Regardless of whether those votes were a form of protest...

There is no way that people gave Lin the highest vote count just to say [insert your favorite profanity] to the board. No way.

fatdog
07-18-2023, 08:45 PM
Hey maybe before the runoff they can lifetime ban him from the sport for being disrespectrul to them like they did Stoeger, before he can possibly win again.....for this bunch that would be logical and in character.

Archer1440
07-18-2023, 08:46 PM
There is no way that people gave Lin the highest vote count just to say [insert your favorite profanity] to the board. No way.

I tend to agree with your point of view in most things, but I do find myself wondering just how many irritated members there are who might have voted that way as one factor in their calculus.

Confirmation bias on my part, perhaps, as that was maybe 10% of my reason.

nate89
07-18-2023, 11:32 PM
I mean it is not a leap to assume that many people who voted for him the first time voted for him again for the same, or similar, reasons.

I also let my membership lapse, and don't really see a need (nor have the desire) to pay for membership again in the near future. I run a practical shooting match at a local indoor range. We have a great group that shows up, some are USPSA members but most are not, and in asking for feedback from those that shoot there about possibly affiliating with an organization the consensus was it was not wanted.

To be honest USPSA as an organization does very, very little for local clubs; this is based on my active participation at our local club for several years. Some people really care about classifiers and the letter next to their name. I don't, and usually saw the classifier stage as a mediocre stage that I would rather replace with a more interesting shooting challenge (I mean waiting 45 minutes to shoot a bill drill is awesome and all, but I can do that on my own). I will say the newer classifiers are much better and more reflective of what you see at a match, and are much more enjoyable to shoot.

As far as who is president, I don't really care. The attitude I get from the org is "my way or the highway." Well, I took the highway route and I enjoy shooting just as much not being a member of USPSA. Going to local matches is exactly the same for me member or not, and the quality of the level 2 and above matches really doesn't appeal to me for the time and money cost (it does to others, and that's great).

cheby
07-19-2023, 12:00 AM

This is from YMLs Facebook post - The Path Forward

CleverNickname
07-19-2023, 07:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0fCW5EaeA

I tend to agree with this, if YML wins it gives the board more potential for shenanigans because he still hasn't regained the RO cert. I think Luigi Li is the better candidate anyways.

JCN
07-19-2023, 07:35 PM
I think whether it’s YML or Luigi Li… I think both represent an upgrade from the past presidents and suggests maybe there is a real sea change happening.

Stephanie B
07-19-2023, 08:59 PM
I let my membership lapse. It seemed to be an organization geared towards those running mid-four-figure raceguns. And what appeared to be a slapfight at the top management turned me off. Why pay $40/yr to support that?

Realistically, I’m not going to regional/national matches. I saw nothing to be gained by staying in.

Borderland
07-19-2023, 10:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0fCW5EaeA

I tend to agree with this, if YML wins it gives the board more potential for shenanigans because he still hasn't regained the RO cert. I think Luigi Li is the better candidate anyways.

What's with the yellow goggles?

CleverNickname
07-19-2023, 10:29 PM
What's with the yellow goggles?

Ben being Ben, I assume.

cheby
07-20-2023, 10:56 AM
I let my membership lapse. It seemed to be an organization geared towards those running mid-four-figure raceguns. And what appeared to be a slapfight at the top management turned me off. Why pay $40/yr to support that?

Realistically, I’m not going to regional/national matches. I saw nothing to be gained by staying in.

To paraphrase:
“And so, my fellow shooters: ask not what USPSA can do for you — ask what you can do for USPSA”

RevolverRob
08-30-2023, 05:16 PM
If you haven't been paying attention the following is being reported by Practical Shooting Insights:

1) DNROI has said to the board, in a written letter, he will not reinstate YML's RO certificate under any circumstance.

2) The BOD is considering amending the bylaws, as the special election is in progress, to allow someone to be president WITHOUT an RO certification.

steve
08-30-2023, 05:37 PM
If you haven't been paying attention the following is being reported by Practical Shooting Insights:

1) DNROI has said to the board, in a written letter, he will not reinstate YML's RO certificate under any circumstance.

2) The BOD is considering amending the bylaws, as the special election is in progress, to allow someone to be president WITHOUT an RO certification.

I voted for YML again. The entire situation feels slimy.

RJ
08-30-2023, 05:54 PM

Is there some way to follow the content of Practical Shooting Insights that does not involve signing up for an Instagram account? I rather suspect since they are both owned by Zuck I'd somehow re-activate my Facebook account. And since I closed it in 2018, being one of the best things I ever did, I really don't want to somehow get that going again.

Appreciate it if some whipper-snapper can help out a geezer boomer here.

Edit - Found it. https://www.lifewire.com/view-instagram-without-account-5271416

fatdog
08-30-2023, 06:57 PM
voted for YML, I figured it was the only way I could flip a bird at this useless excuse for a board...DNROI can go lick a fire hydrant....

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
08-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Seems that Troy wields a big stick @ HQ & w/ the board hmmm ………

CleverNickname
08-30-2023, 07:22 PM
I wonder how much correlation there is between Trump primary voters and YML voters. Seems to me like a not-inconsequential portion of the support for both is due to the perception that voting for them is a chance to flip the bird to the powers-that-be.

steve
08-30-2023, 07:35 PM
I wonder how much correlation there is between Trump primary voters and YML voters. Seems to me like a not-inconsequential portion of the support for both is due to the perception that voting for them is a chance to flip the bird to the powers-that-be.

I voted for YML to begin with. Nothing I have seen waivers my support for him. I don't know the inner workings but my perception is some yahoos pulled a rule out of their ass to vote him out. This was against the membership who voted him in. That rubbed me wrong.

steve
08-30-2023, 07:39 PM

I voted for YML to begin with. Nothing I have seen waivers my support for him. I don't know the inner workings but this was against the membership who voted him in. That rubbed me wrong.

JCS
08-30-2023, 07:55 PM
Voted for Luigi.

After having YML as my RO at A3 I would not want him as the face of the organization.

steve
08-30-2023, 08:31 PM
Voted for Luigi.

After having YML as my RO at A3 I would not want him as the face of the organization.

Inquiring minds want to know?

JCN
08-30-2023, 09:41 PM
Voted for Luigi.

I voted for Luigi too.

Clusterfrack
08-30-2023, 10:23 PM
I voted for Luigi too.

Same.

Clusterfrack
08-30-2023, 10:33 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230831/4b3834a3b2f8f148d39aaa4db1ac20be.jpg

JCS
08-31-2023, 08:05 AM

Inappropriate jokes and comments. The type that if I said them while at work in public I’d likely lose my job or get suspended.

Add in the fact that there were two teenage girls in my squad, IMO he is not someone I want as the figurehead of the org.

steve
08-31-2023, 08:44 AM
Inappropriate jokes and comments. The type that if I said them while at work in public I’d likely lose my job or get suspended.

Add in the fact that there were two teenage girls in my squad, IMO he is not someone I want as the figurehead of the org.

Sad to hear that; not good with the young ladies present.

YVK
08-31-2023, 10:07 AM
I wonder how much correlation there is between Trump primary voters and YML voters.

Zero in this household. Sure, part of it is an f/u to the board and, more so, Troy who needs to go. Another part of it is personal experience with YML running stages I shot. I enjoyed him as my RO more than any RO I can remember. I trust those who say he slipped and said something stupid but I disagree with his removal, whether it conforms to corporate policies of our days or doesn't. So, I now voted for him three times.

Archer1440
08-31-2023, 11:13 PM

Don’t make the mistake of correlating politics in sport with politics that actually matters.

DMF13
09-03-2023, 04:44 PM
I voted for Luigi. I voted for Yee Min last time, but I think the many not the existing board members, and Troy, would be be preoccupied with replying the drama, and it would make it harder for new board members to try for any meaningful reform.

cheby
10-02-2023, 11:15 PM

steve
10-03-2023, 12:12 AM
It will be interesting to see how they screw this up now and waste more money.

Bucky
10-03-2023, 03:54 AM

Over 26,000 voters, less than 5500 ballots cast. :(

YVK
10-03-2023, 08:16 AM
Over 26,000 voters, less than 5500 ballots cast. :(

Further supports my suspicion that, despite "we have 30K members" rhetoric, maybe 5-7k members actually shoot matches. And vote.

JCN
10-03-2023, 08:22 AM
Further supports my suspicion that, despite "we have 30K members" rhetoric, maybe 5-7k members actually shoot matches. And vote.

Maybe another 3-7k that are actively competing but just joined within the last year and aren’t eligible to vote though. Lots of turnover in the sport means that probably 1/3 of the active participants can’t vote at any given time.

fatdog
10-03-2023, 08:27 AM
and at least a few thousands who are "just let me shoot and don't bother me with this BS", totally apathetic about the national organization and the absurd politics, only care about their local club match....I know many of those...

Bucky
10-03-2023, 04:34 PM
and at least a few thousands who are "just let me shoot and don't bother me with this BS", totally apathetic about the national organization and the absurd politics, only care about their local club match....I know many of those...

As do I.

Archer1440
10-04-2023, 07:06 AM
This voting rate aligns well with other individual, membership driven national and international level sports that I have been a part of. As mentioned above, they typically see about a 1/3 rd annual turnover rate, and in the case of USPSA there’s that one year voting period restriction for that incoming third.

And for sure, the number of people who care about all the sturm und drang going on is a small fraction of the total number of shooters in my personal circles - though, to be sure, they’re also the ones who are putting in the most significant effort to help run my local club.

In other words, they are people who really matter over the long haul.

fatdog
10-04-2023, 10:16 AM
Speaking of theatre.

Anybody want to place bets on if the board finds a way around Troy/the rules to install Yee, or if they are already working on their new approach and method for refusing to install him in January?

JCN
10-04-2023, 12:33 PM
Speaking of theatre.

Anybody want to place bets on if the board finds a way around Troy/the rules to install Yee, or if they are already working on their new approach and method for refusing to install him in January?

The issue is that they don’t have to find a way around it.
If they vote to not reinstate his RO cert he DQs himself.

So we boot Foley and we get years of Ted and Leighton as president.

Is that better?

Clusterfrack
10-04-2023, 12:45 PM
The issue is that they don’t have to find a way around it.
If they vote to not reinstate his RO cert he DQs himself.

So we boot Foley and we get years of Ted and Leighton as president.

Is that better?

Yes, but barely. I'm hopeful that Area by Area, we can reclaim USPSA.

JCN
10-04-2023, 12:50 PM
Yes, but barely. I'm hopeful that Area by Area, we can reclaim USPSA.

I’m hoping that someone actually campaigns and e-mails members in the areas up for grabs and even 300 vote swing can make a difference.

JCN
12-16-2023, 02:47 PM
November BOD minutes has YML taking office in January.

steve
12-18-2023, 03:37 PM
YML can't be a Range Officer while he is President, I wonder what other restrictions they will come up with.