PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x51 / .308Win training ammo

MDS
10-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a batch of various ammo to play with, from Brown Bear to fancy match stuff, and I plan to figure out what ammo goes well with my bolt gun. I understand that's really the only way to know what's what. Right now, there's an issue with a key part of the system, though, seems to be a problem somewhere between the mat and the trigger, that doesn't give me confidence in those results. It'll take a while to sort that out, and I have a rifle class coming up that will hopefully speed up that process. Once I'm more confident in my own abilities, I'll be better able to gauge ammo performance out of my gun. If I enjoy lr shooting as much as I think I will, I'm going to have to bite the bullet (harhar) and get into reloading...

In the meanwhile, I'm looking to acquire 500+ rounds to actually take the class. The class is introductory and isn't likely to go much further than 200yd, maybe 300 on the outside. Looking for advice on whether I should spring for match grade stuff just to take that out of the equation, or whether the magtech or prvi ammo will do me? FWIW, the gun is a Remy 700LTR.

Any insight/advice appreciated! :)

JV_
10-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Have you purchased/tested any of the rounds you're considering, to see how they group? You might luck out and find some cheaper stuff that's 1 MOA or better.

I wouldn't purchase match grade ammo for a class that goes to 300Y unless I've proven that cheaper options are insufficient.

TGS
10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Well, like you said the only way to figure out what would be appropriate is to shoot it and see whether or not the performance of the rifle, ammo, and shooter is going to be sufficient for the class.

Being that the class is introductory, I would think most bargain ammo would be accurate enough for the class. With a 4-6 MOA rifle/ammo/shooter, you can still see who's following the fundamentals and who isn't. You can still see who's not in position correctly and letting their pulse effect the POA, you can still see who's not following through, and you can still see who's using their sling properly. Match ammo would be a waste of money until those things are addressed.

Consider that the USMC currently shoots out to 500 yards with ammo that has a 6 MOA (IIRC) contract standard. Enough for fine tuning the accuracy and precision for competitors, long range hunters, or marksman? No. Enough to teach the fundamentals? Definitely.

As always, the instructor would probably be a good dude to ask.

MDS
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I've shot various kinds of ammo, including 10 rounds of match-grade stuff which printed a 3-4" group at 100yd. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is probably my fault, rather than the ammo's. That group was one of the first I ever shot out of a "real" bolt gun before. About 100 rounds later, I can print maybe 2-3" groups with crappy ammo, (Brown Bear, Prvi, and PMC, IIRC) but it's still hard to tell how much of that is me vs the ammo. It's unlikely that I'll have time to hit the range before the class, so I'm going to have to make the call with less information than I'd like.

I'm tempted to just get decent stuff (Federal GM308M for $1/rd) so I can rest easy about the gun and focus on my skills.... but with cheaper brass stuff at $.70-$.75/rd, that adds up to a couple hundred bucks over 500 rounds. :-/

JV_
10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
It's unlikely that I'll have time to hit the range before the classThat sucks.

I'm tempted to just get decent stuff (Federal GM308M for $1/rd) so I can rest easy about the gun and focus on my skillsPeace of mind is worth a lot. When you're learning, it sucks to figure out that your equipment/ammo was limiting you and not your skills. I tend follow this route myself.

Whatever you end up buying, save your brass.

If you're up in my area sometime, I can walk you through reloading it.

GJM
10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Small sample, but I have two LTR's and both LOVE Federal 168 Gold Medal Match.

MDS
10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Small sample, but I have two LTR's and both LOVE Federal 168 Gold Medal Match.

Sold. I just wanted to make sure folks with more experience didn't tell me that $1/rd is a waste at a 200yd bolt gun class. :)

Whatever you end up buying, save your brass.

If you're up in my area sometime, I can walk you through reloading it.

Will do, and thanks for the offer - I may just take you up on that next time I'm up with a little free time. If you were able to help SeanM with his reloading, you must be a genius at explaining that stuff. ;)

Odin Bravo One
10-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Sold. I just wanted to make sure folks with more experience didn't tell me that $1/rd is a waste at a 200yd bolt gun class. :)

Don't spend a $1 per round.

How much do you honestly need?

I will front you, just need to know where it needs to go. I can get it out tomorrow. FGMM, NIB.

I don't shoot it, but have some stock piled.

MDS
10-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Being that the class is introductory, I would think most bargain ammo would be accurate enough for the class. [...] As always, the instructor would probably be a good dude to ask.

Hey, I don't know why I missed this post before - we must have been posting at the same time. The instructor's answer is "bring what you got." :)

Don't spend a $1 per round.

How much do you honestly need?

I will front you, just need to know where it needs to go. I can get it out tomorrow. FGMM, NIB.

I don't shoot it, but have some stock piled.

Holy smokes, dude, thanks! :D Being in your debt, now I'll have a real excuse to make you let me buy you a bunch of 45acp and run your tommygun a bit. PM inbound.