PDA

View Full Version : Advice for getting parents involved in CCW

MadMax17
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey all,

Today I was approached by my father concerning concealed carry for both him and my mom (both in their early 60's). They live in Denver, CO and the Aurora theater shooting (about ten minutes from their house) got them thinking seriously about personal defense (even though I've been advocating it for years... better late than never I suppose).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed. The priorities I've come up with (in order) are:

1) Get them solid initial familiarization/basic pistol training
2) Get them good, reliable hardware
3) Have them attend the state CCW class and get their licenses
4) Have them attend further professional training focused on personal defense and shooting

I was somewhat hesitant to put the hardware after the initial training (kind of a chicken vs. egg argument), but they really have no familiarization with handguns except they are aware that they go boom. I would rather them understand the basics before shopping for guns...

And speaking of shopping, here is the list that I think I will "strongly recommend" (i.e. restrict them to)":
-Glock 17, Glock 19
-HK P30, P2000
-S&W M&P9, 9c, and Shield
-Kahr CM9/PM9

I'll tell them (especially my mom) to stay away from .380 for a primary.

Finally, I'm trying to make clear that CCW is a lifestyle change for them, not merely an accessory or something to do only when they feel like it.

Was wondering if I'm on the right track with all of this; is there anything else you all can recommend?

Also, does anybody know any good instructors in the Denver, CO area?

Thanks,
Max

VolGrad
10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Finally, I'm trying to make clear that CCW is a lifestyle change for them, not merely an accessory or something to do only when they feel like it.
While I agree CCW is a lifestyle change for "us" please don't push this initially. Let them get there in their own time. If you sell it to them like they are joing the militia it will likely turn them off. Tread lightly.

Good on you for helping them though.

Odin Bravo One
10-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Thanks,
Max

http://www.blucoreshootingcenter.com/

CCT125US
10-20-2012, 09:59 PM
On the low side, if they both jump in, they could be spending 2K on the initial cost based on that list. 2 Glocks, ammo, mags, holsters, training, license cost, etc. Keep that in mind, it all factors in. May not be a big deal to them, but I try to be upfront with folks interested in getting started. One thing that I see far to often is a well meaning family member or instructor sell them on a gun. Not suggesting you are doing that. Make sure all parties can manipulate and hit with the gun. Allow them to try a variety of options and decide for themselves.

Skullybones
10-20-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.blucoreshootingcenter.com/

+ 1

Great advise.

RoyGBiv
10-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Putting myself in your shoes, if Mom was interested I'd be pointing her towards a wheel gun in .38. Older less-strong hands are not ideal for handling a snappy short 9mm semi-auto. My mom's a bit older than yours so maybe that's not the case for you.

Wheel guns are also going to be easier to maintain. No disassembly required for basic cleaning.

I'm betting mom will purse carry (if she actually does carry after all the effort), so size and weight is less of a factor vs. IWB. If she does wind up going semi-auto, use this to her advantage and don't pick a snappy-mini-light-weight-thing.

As for your plans.... As a first step, before any classes, I would take them to the range and let them shoot your guns or rent something you think is appropriate and give them their first familiarization yourself. Together is ok, or one at a time if you feel that would work better. Many ranges with a rental fleet will let you pay the rental price once and try several guns. From this first experience you (and they) will learn much more about their level of interest, what weapons they can handle, what they initially prefer and so on.

Congrats on raising some responsible parents. Not everyone can do that job well. :cool:

MadMax17
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
As for your plans.... As a first step, before any classes, I would take them to the range and let them shoot your guns or rent something you think is appropriate and give them their first familiarization yourself. Together is ok, or one at a time if you feel that would work better. Many ranges with a rental fleet will let you pay the rental price once and try several guns. From this first experience you (and they) will learn much more about their level of interest, what weapons they can handle, what they initially prefer and so on.

Congrats on raising some responsible parents. Not everyone can do that job well. :cool:

Yeah, taking them to the range and let them shoot my guns would normally be my first choice... however I don't live anywhere near my parents at this time, so I'm having to do all of this remotely... May just send them a list of guns I think that would work, and have them rent them at the range...

Thanks for the link Sean, looks great!

ares338
10-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Hey all,

Today I was approached by my father concerning concealed carry for both him and my mom (both in their early 60's). They live in Denver, CO and the Aurora theater shooting (about ten minutes from their house) got them thinking seriously about personal defense (even though I've been advocating it for years... better late than never I suppose).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed. The priorities I've come up with (in order) are:

1) Get them solid initial familiarization/basic pistol training
2) Get them good, reliable hardware
3) Have them attend the state CCW class and get their licenses
4) Have them attend further professional training focused on personal defense and shooting

I was somewhat hesitant to put the hardware after the initial training (kind of a chicken vs. egg argument), but they really have no familiarization with handguns except they are aware that they go boom. I would rather them understand the basics before shopping for guns...

And speaking of shopping, here is the list that I think I will "strongly recommend" (i.e. restrict them to)":
-Glock 17, Glock 19
-HK P30, P2000
-Kahr CM9/PM9

I'll tell them (especially my mom) to stay away from .380 for a primary.

Was wondering if I'm on the right track with all of this; is there anything else you all can recommend?

Thanks,
Max

What do you mean....better late than never? It's never too late! I got interest in Concealed Carry at 63..LOL! No one had to convince the wife and I though. We made that decision after a near miss on a robbery while traveling. The best advice is to let them shoot a selection of pistols and revolvers before buying and don't start off with the big boomers.After they have made their choice of firearms steer them toward some good training. I know a lot of people who try to give their loved ones training and it usually doesn't turn out near as effective. Anyway, good luck to your parents and stay safe.

Chemsoldier
10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
From the Bluecore website:
"The BluCore Shooting Center offers “Real world training, for the Real World”. We have a robust firearms training program offering a variety of pistol training and gun safety classes including concealed carry training from our NRA Instructors. We also offer corporate training and team building experiences, lead by former Navy SEALs!"

Oooohhh...NAVY SEALs!

Seriously though, they seem just fine. I found one for my folks (in another state) where pistols were provided, which helped greatly in convincing them to go.

Odin Bravo One
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
I will personally go on the record and vouch for "Fro", who is the medically retired (from wounds sustained in combat) SEAL who runs Blue Core. The OP asked for quality instruction in the Denver area. While I don't, and have never lived in the greater Denver metropolitan area, I do happen to know the owner of that facility, and know that if he is running it, then it is a place for quality instruction.

Lomshek
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey all,

-Glock 17, Glock 19
-HK P30, P2000
-Kahr CM9/PM9

Max

No way would I recommend a compact gun of any kind for a new shooter or a revolver (as another poster suggested). I've yet to see a new shooter who enjoyed the greater recoil, less steady hold and louder muzzle blast of a compact gun of any kind (plus a revolver's more difficult DA trigger).

CCW is a slow process and most folks who start out wanting to carry very quickly get intimidated by the complexities.

I'd start them off by renting some off your list, get what they like after discussing it with you and getting a .22 to practice more with. Help them figure out a method of carry even if it's the dreaded fanny pack.

After a class or two and a few thousand rounds have them try a compact version. By then they'll be better able to handle the smaller gun better and maybe will be more confident with it.

Skullybones
10-22-2012, 08:31 PM
From the Bluecore website:
"The BluCore Shooting Center offers “Real world training, for the Real World”. We have a robust firearms training program offering a variety of pistol training and gun safety classes including concealed carry training from our NRA Instructors. We also offer corporate training and team building experiences, lead by former Navy SEALs!"

Oooohhh...NAVY SEALs!

Seriously though, they seem just fine. I found one for my folks (in another state) where pistols were provided, which helped greatly in convincing them to go.

I do get the joke, but:

I will again second SeanM's recomendation. I have yet to hear bad things about their training or facility. Cost is a little more than the budget CCW trainers on the Front Range, but they make up for it by offering the full package for new shooters.

To the OP: your parents will be well served at Bluecore.

There is also Whistling Pines Gun Club in Colorado Springs www.whistlingpinesgunclub.com. They have an extensive rental section, and rental cost can be applied toward a pistol purchase.

Chemsoldier
10-23-2012, 10:44 AM
I do get the joke, but:

I will again second SeanM's recomendation. I have yet to hear bad things about their training or facility. Cost is a little more than the budget CCW trainers on the Front Range, but they make up for it by offering the full package for new shooters.

To the OP: your parents will be well served at Bluecore.

There is also Whistling Pines Gun Club in Colorado Springs www.whistlingpinesgunclub.com. They have an extensive rental section, and rental cost can be applied toward a pistol purchase.
Whistling Pines is an excellent choice as well, odd I didtnt think of it considering I am a member. The classes are no that bad but Lord the membership is expensive, but I love the convenience (its less than 5 minutes from my house). My wife is going there to get her class requirement for the CO CCW.

I also dont want to cause any offense ref: Blucore. I am sure they are a great company with great instructors. I just cant resist making fun of the marketing. SEALs are becoming a metaphor in American society as much as a SOF element. Its growing even stronger than the Special Forces popular culture ideas of the 1980s.

JMS
10-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Putting myself in your shoes, if Mom was interested I'd be pointing her towards a wheel gun in .38. Older less-strong hands are not ideal for handling a snappy short 9mm semi-auto.

I can identify; I have a 60yr-old female student who shoots extraordinarily well with an M&P9c (started with one of my full-sizees...), but we had to get her boned up on technique for her to be able to manipulate the slide consistently and reliably. Tried to move her off of it, but I got...Told. "Yes, ma'am..."

Thankfully, she's fiercely self-competitive, took it upon herself to do grip exercises on that basis, and that they're generally beneficial to her in general. She's a lot more comfortable with it now, but I think she's probably sorta unique, in this idiom.

Tamara
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Putting myself in your shoes, if Mom was interested I'd be pointing her towards a wheel gun in .38...

If you want to make a novice shooter hate shooting forever, hand them a 16oz. gun with a long, 12-lb trigger pull and minuscule, light-colored sights with about a 3.5" total sight radius. Make sure that said 16oz. gun is firing a full service-strength cartridge and that it has a fixed standing breech and a high bore axis to transmit every bit of the recoil into a stubby, narrow grip on which the shooter can barely squeeze two fingers.

Between the unpleasantness of actually firing the weapon and the demoralizing inability to hit the target with it, the S&W 642 has probably turned more older women off on shooting than any other single firearm... ;)

Skullybones
10-24-2012, 08:46 PM
I took that as a K frame recommendation, or similar framed .38.

Generous laws in Colorado, and more than a few good choices for training.

They can schedule their appointment with the sheriff before taking the class, but must take a class before the appointment.