PDA

View Full Version : PC help please.

JDM
10-20-2012, 08:27 PM
My girlfriend just acquired a Windows 7 based laptop, in lieu of a Mac, presumably because she never wants to be happy again.

Being a right thinking adult male, who wants to be happy and fulfilled by all his technology experiences, I haven't used a PC in many years, and thus know very little about them.

What anti malware/spyware/virus tools do I need to install on this machine to prevent it from turning into [more of] a pulsating ball of suck and misery?

Thank you in advance.

Shellback
10-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Norton's got a pretty good rep. Lil and the computer dudes might have some different ideas.

gtmtnbiker98
10-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Just invest in a quality antivirus application, create a user account that DOES NOT have Admin rights and keep the machine service packed and all updates applied and you'll be fine. DO NOT install anti spyware or anything crazy. Just antivirus and down-level user access and that machine will be as reliable and if not, more reliable and stable than the Mac. Yes, I'm a Mac user.

BaiHu
10-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I like kaspersky and frys.com often has good deals on older versions, but I believe the updates are still current. Google for rebates and coupons and you'll find it for a good price. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

helothar
10-20-2012, 09:59 PM
I personally hate Norton because in my experience it doesn't play nice with other software and if you want to install it you need to have some special program (that doesn't come with it) to do it. I recommend Avast! for anti virus.

BaiHu
10-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I've heard avast is good too. Just leaves annoying antivirus messages at the bottom of emails.

helothar
10-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I've heard avast is good too. Just leaves annoying antivirus messages at the bottom of emails.

I've not had this problem, although I only used web based emails (Gmail) so I don't know about using a client like Outlook

BaiHu
10-20-2012, 10:23 PM
I've not had this problem, although I only used web based emails (Gmail) so I don't know about using a client like Outlook

Perhaps my buddy can take the tag line out and he doesn't?

gringop
10-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Norton has a reputation of being really boated and doing a poor job. I would suggest Avast as AV and Spybot S+D and Malwarebytes to scan once a month. All are free. Use the software firewall and keep Windows updated.

Use any browser besides IE. I personally use Flashblock and NoScript on Firefox but that may be too much for your girlfriend to manage.

Backup important data weekly and expect and plan for the box to get hosed at some time and need a re-install.

MAC, Windows, Linux or VMS, if you don't backup your data, you get no sympathy.

Gringop

JDM
10-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks a lot for the input guys!

JFK
10-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I used my 1911 on my last PC.

EMC
10-20-2012, 10:56 PM
More and more I'm of the opinion that active anti virus programs are a complete waste of resources. Vigilant browsing and email habits and periodic malwarebytes scans if there are any doubts is good enough for me. You should check if her internet provider offers a free antivirus package. Mine offers Norton. As has been mentioned, an alternate browser instead of IE is prudent.

Default.mp3
10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I hope she got a good deal on it, considering how Windows 8 is right around the corner. I know a lot of the big box stores are trying to clear out their Windows 7 PC inventory right now.

Windows comes with Microsoft Security Essentials these days. IMO, if she ain't stupid, and doesn't click on stupid stuff randomly, it should be more than enough. And people can hate on IE all they way, but IE9 and IE10 simply isn't as bad as everyone likes to pretend it is, and is definitely a "good enough" solution.

tremiles
10-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Norton sucks. Period. ESET Smart Security is lightweight, and gives excellent protection. It has an automatic firewall mode for novices to set and forget, automatic w/ exceptions if she has 1 or 2 programs that require non-standard ports to be open, learning mode, and advanced mode. It's simply the best all-around security program for home users.

Eset.com

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

JMorse
10-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Norton hasn't been bloated and crappy in years. I've used it for a few years now and am very happy.

It used to be horrible, but those times are long gone.

JV_
10-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Norton sucks. Period. ESET Smart Security is lightweight, and gives excellent protection.

I agree.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

Argus
10-21-2012, 08:54 AM
I've been using MS Security Essentials for the past few years on our Windows based machines and have found it to be effective enough and reasonably unobtrusive. I've also had good luck with Malwarebytes, which is also available for free.

RoyGBiv
10-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Avast.! Works great. Free.
Back that up by scanning weekly with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Norton is the worst piece of crap software. Works poorly and is a HUGE resource hog.
Kind of like Adobe, but at least there are many better substitutes for Norton.

tremiles
10-21-2012, 10:00 AM
MalwareBytes is a decent manual use free malware remover. Ideally though, you don't want malware in the first place.

Don't use IE. Use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc... Use OpenDNS's (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) DNS servers. Use a real security program.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

JodyH
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials, zero compatibility issues, perfect OS integration and it just works.
Use Chrome w/ad-block for your browser.
Create a non-Administrator access account to do the majority of your day to day work and you'll have zero issues with malware.

Or do what I did, dual boot Linux Ubuntu and use Win7 for business and Ubuntu for internet.