PDA

View Full Version : blackjacks/saps/clubs

jh9
05-19-2023, 05:17 PM
Is there a similar resource to handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/) for saps/blackjacks/etc? A quick search turns up some places that have A List but are either open about not being terribly serious, out of date or look like a bot-made linkfarm.

E.g. http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/state-baton-laws has this disclaimer:
This page was created in mid-2016 as a lark and is not generally updated unless someone e-mails me about a law change

Specifically wondering about saps and Arizona but a more general resource would also be nice.

Jason M
05-19-2023, 06:49 PM
In PA they are prohibited offensive weapons for all but active duty PD etc. while working.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=9&sctn=8&subsctn=0

Jamie
05-20-2023, 10:31 AM
I think the laws are vaguely and/or poorly written in most states.

I live in Tennessee.

According to Tennessee Code 39-17-1308 (in particular section 9), having certification and Training such as ASP or Manadnock "allows defense against" prosecution for carrying an impact tool. Long ago, we as a training group hosted a professional LE trainer and gained said certification.

I will occasionally carry a flat sap, but always have a "monkey fist" and OC spray on my keychain in my beltline.

No grief given in 17 years thus far. I'm not LE (just an ER RN, now retired). Lot's of only positive comments from the LE I have interacted with daily at work.

But, like I said, vague and poorly written.

Hopefully you find better for Arizona.

ETA. I also took SouthNarc's "Blackjacks and Saps" class way back when. It truly enforced what a lethal option impact tools can be, especially Blackjacks.
I would assume most states quite rightfully view them as lethal force options. That may well influence at least some of the vagueness with which the laws are written.
Just my $.02 worth

Tannhauser
05-20-2023, 03:36 PM
In VA it is illegal to carry a blackjack (by name) if it is concealed.

§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, sling bow, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Since the primary means of carrying these impact weapons is concealed, I’ve never considered one as a viable option self defense tool due to legality issues.

VA is also clearly anti-Ninja.