PDA

View Full Version : Any wrestling fans here?

Vanishing Wanderer
05-15-2023, 09:25 AM
Any wrestling fans here? Which WWE wrestlers/managers would you describe as charismatic? (Including the CWC/WWWF/WWF days)

Glenn E. Meyer
05-15-2023, 09:27 PM
I was a fan in my youth. My interest extended until the era of Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Macho Man Randy Savage. Piper used to live in a small town near us in Oregon. A friend of mine's dad was a local promoter in Oregon and we went to some small town matches for free. It was a hoot as when a match was over that wrestler sold the beer. Another gal friend of mine was learning the TV business and was a camera person for the local shows. She was a pretty but zaftig young woman and told me the wrestlers were always hitting on her.

Then we moved to TX and I didn't pick it up again. Lately, I haven't followed it. I think anime streaming is taking up my mindless watching time. I do watch sumo and the new matches are on now for the May tournament from Japan. That and Battlebots.

Robert Mitchum
05-16-2023, 12:18 AM
Chief Jay Strongbow was a big time A hole personal experience.
Bob Backland was a legit bad ass in a Street fight personal experience.
Superstar Billy Graham... have much respect for the help he gave me a long time ago.
Terry Scott Szopinski (The Warlord) was another good guy who would help those trying to get into Wrestling.
Pat Patterson big thumbs down on him will leave it at that.
Rick McGraw good guy RIP personal experience.
The Road Warriors good guys personal experience.
Big Time Charlie gave me a job fighting in Puerto Rico...good guy treated me like a brother.
Brian E. Carreiro WCW as Brian Carr. personal friend crazy bustard RIP.

I was 270 pounds on a 6 foot 4-inch frame my farther had a bunch of pictures that got destroyed from flooding in Florida.

Vanishing Wanderer
05-16-2023, 08:44 AM
I was a fan in my youth. My interest extended until the era of Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Macho Man Randy Savage. Piper used to live in a small town near us in Oregon. A friend of mine's dad was a local promoter in Oregon and we went to some small town matches for free. It was a hoot as when a match was over that wrestler sold the beer. Another gal friend of mine was learning the TV business and was a camera person for the local shows. She was a pretty but zaftig young woman and told me the wrestlers were always hitting on her.

Then we moved to TX and I didn't pick it up again. Lately, I haven't followed it. I think anime streaming is taking up my mindless watching time. I do watch sumo and the new matches are on now for the May tournament from Japan. That and Battlebots.

Wouldn't be surprised. You're the first person I've come across that that shared that they watch sumo wrestling.

Chief Jay Strongbow was a big time A hole personal experience.
Bob Backland was a legit bad ass in a Street fight personal experience.
Superstar Billy Graham... have much respect for the help he gave me a long time ago.
Terry Scott Szopinski (The Warlord) was another good guy who would help those trying to get into Wrestling.
Pat Patterson big thumbs down on him will leave it at that.
Rick McGraw good guy RIP personal experience.
The Road Warriors good guys personal experience.
Big Time Charlie gave me a job fighting in Puerto Rico...good guy treated me like a brother.
Brian E. Carreiro WCW as Brian Carr. personal friend crazy bustard RIP.

I was 270 pounds on a 6 foot 4-inch frame my farther had a bunch of pictures that got destroyed from flooding in Florida.

This seems to be the rap on him. Bret Hart reportedly said similar about Strongbow as have others. Matter of fact, just last night on Facebook I saw a comment that Strongbow was a dick. But which wrestlers and managers from the Capitol would you describe as charismatic?

Glenn E. Meyer
05-16-2023, 09:07 AM
Sumo is pretty interesting. Unfortunately, the current crop at the top is pretty weak as many of the major players retired.

Coyotesfan97
05-16-2023, 01:50 PM
#CantSeeMe (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=CantSeeMe)

Ed L
05-16-2023, 07:22 PM
I liked Pro Wrestling as a kid in NY in the mid to late 1970s. Then I discovered Florida NWA wrestling on a Spanish channel--channel 47. The TV Matches from Florida wrestling were much better than the TV matches from the WWWF. Also, the Wrestlers from Florida had a better repertoire of moves.

Then there was this guy who was always amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLOwB2Xp38

Coyotesfan97
05-17-2023, 03:51 AM
https://youtu.be/-NkhD3xquMU

Glenn E. Meyer
05-17-2023, 09:25 AM
I used to live my grandma and step-grandpa for the summers. He used to watch wrestling and opine: Kill the Bastard!

He wasn't that talkative but a good guy. He would take me and a slew of cousins to the beach. He would sleep under the boardwalk and we would run around and try not to drown. Ran a trucking company.

Piper, IIRC, lived in Hillsboro, Oregon, not far from me. He would go to school board meetings as a regular dad.

Robert Mitchum
05-17-2023, 10:43 PM
WWE Hall of Famer 'Superstar' Billy Graham dead at 79

Ric FlairŪ
@RicFlairNatrBoy
"The Superstar Billy Graham Just Left Us 🙏🏻 THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INFLUENCE On My Career!"

RIP

https://youtu.be/LbkH9FIrhMQ

Vanishing Wanderer
05-20-2023, 01:31 AM
R.I.P. Superstar Billy Graham. He was the blueprint for a lot of wrestlers and had charisma in spades.

I used to live my grandma and step-grandpa for the summers. He used to watch wrestling and opine: Kill the Bastard!

He wasn't that talkative but a good guy. He would take me and a slew of cousins to the beach. He would sleep under the boardwalk and we would run around and try not to drown. Ran a trucking company.

Piper, IIRC, lived in Hillsboro, Oregon, not far from me. He would go to school board meetings as a regular dad.

Oh wow! Do you remember the managers Bobby Davis and Wild Red Berry?

Glenn E. Meyer
05-20-2023, 05:33 PM
Yep, remember them. However, I cannot remember the groceries I'm supposed to buy. I should be in the Senate.