PDA

View Full Version : Potential Drill from a Heeler

DAK
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I was reading about the wall drill and realized that it will have value for me.

I was also thinking about the further value that it may have if a highlighter or crayon were shoved in the barrel and placed o so lightly on the paper. When the trigger is pulled it should show any little twitch that you might have?

Just a random thought. I need to pass my quals so I am racking my brain to get the little tweaks out of my shot placement.

bbqbologna
10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I was reading about the wall drill and realized that it will have value for me.

I was also thinking about the further value that it may have if a highlighter or crayon were shoved in the barrel and placed o so lightly on the paper. When the trigger is pulled it should show any little twitch that you might have?

Just a random thought. I need to pass my quals so I am racking my brain to get the little tweaks out of my shot placement.

A laser works really well for this. If you see a streak or a line when pulling the trigger, you're doing it wrong. Even a cheap, $5 red laser bought from a convenience store, taped to your slide or barrel would do the trick.

DAK
10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
A laser would work, but then my cats would not leave me alone.

My thought is that with a marking device I would have something permanent to look at and compare to. A shot patter of sorts.

ronin0829
10-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Something else that works is to use a pencil. Make it short enough to fit in the barrel of your pistol. When you pull the trigger the firing pin with hit it and make it come out and hit the wall. If it leaves a line you are moving your pistol. If it leaves a dot you are not moving your pistol.

Failure2Stop
10-20-2012, 08:28 AM
One could accomplish the same goal by simply watching the sights.

NETim
10-20-2012, 08:56 AM
I am hesitant to offer advice of any kind on this forum on improving one's shooting as I am certainly NOT an expert and there are many, many folk here who are far better qualified to do so, but I'll offer something anyway since I've made my status clearly known. Take it for what it's worth.

What has helped more than anything with dryfiring, is to simply slow down and really, really concentrate on the press. Ensure that it's perfect as you can make it in all aspects. P-R-E-S-S slowly, STRAIGHT back to your nose. Concentrate and focus! Far better to do 10 perfect pulls in 10 minutes than it is to perform 100 so-so pulls.

TGS
10-20-2012, 03:07 PM
What has helped more than anything with dryfiring, is to simply slow down and really, really concentrate on the press. Ensure that it's perfect as you can make it in all aspects. P-R-E-S-S slowly, STRAIGHT back to your nose. Concentrate and focus! Far better to do 10 perfect pulls in 10 minutes than it is to perform 100 so-so pulls.

This is also the way I broke myself of jerking the trigger. I just let myself speed up naturally instead of pushing speed....that whole "learn to shoot slow before you try to shoot fast" thing. IMO, it's just a mental game of getting yourself to feel comfortable with a surprise break. In mentoring some friends who were struggling with quals, I found doing this was very effective in getting anticipation out of their system. When I was dealing with it, I had shot probably a thousand rounds doing the wrong thing, not understanding why I was anticipating or how to break it. When I did what you described, and slowed myself down mentally, it took maybe 100 rounds and was basically fixed except for when I push really fast, where it will rear it's head infrequently every so often. When I mentally understood what a surprise break is, I went from barely being able to qual (including missing the entire man sized target cutout/backing at 7 yards 10% of the time) to shooting 363/400 points on the USMC pistol qual.

I also found that when someone is having trouble with one of the fundamentals, it's useless to try and train the other fundamentals at the same time. Have them get each fundamental down on it's own before combining fundamentals. So, forget about training front sight focus until the anticipation is solved, because training for front sight focus at the same time is going to distract you from learning a proper trigger press....we all have limits on how much we can consciously concentrate on at once.

DAK
10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
...we all have limits on how much we can consciously concentrate on at once.

Well said. Well received.

My biggest problem with the gun is the reaaaaallllllyyyyy long trigger pull. Sig 229 DAK. Even the Range Masters have issues with the pull and they see it as the single biggest hurdle to get over for new shooters and the older guys that have to requal on the new gun.

The other issue that frankly surprised me is that the gun tends to move up when fired and not back like the M & P 40. Odd, but that was my perception of the two guns. The Sig wants to climb up and the M & P wants to come straight back to your face. I found the M & P easier to use because of the recoil type. I find the Sig harder because I want to control the upward motion of the recoil.

So when I shoot the Sig my brain is thinking:
Squeeze - Breathe
fire hand hold fast
Support hand hold soft
dot on target
split the sight
bang!!!
let the gun rise and fall back to position
Repeat.

I am going to run some dry fire drills until I can get to a range and I will try the pencil trick. Just to see if it works.

Failure2Stop
10-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Reading your "shot process" leads me to believe that you are in need of some quality training from a solid outfit.
I'm not saying that as a veiled insult, but an honest assessment of your problem is that you need a fundamental base.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.