PDA

View Full Version : Salvo 12

JCN
04-28-2023, 06:06 PM
Interested in testing this indoors with my sound meter.

Irelander
04-28-2023, 08:32 PM
I'd be interested too. I've always wondered how well the Salvo12 did to knock down the noise.

JCN
04-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Ordered some 6” and 10” rods from Capitol armory.

For a home defense firearm, I’m willing to sacrifice some noise reduction for lighter weight and maneuverability.

Mike C
04-28-2023, 09:39 PM
Ordered some 6” and 10” rods from Capitol armory.

For a home defense firearm, I’m willing to sacrifice some noise reduction for lighter weight and maneuverability.

Soundbites and video required because I can't wait to see you shoot it. On another note the sound reduction numbers for that thing look unreal.

Centerfire
04-30-2023, 09:41 AM
Most shotgun ammunition is super sonic. The Salvo12 sounds better with low recoil, short barrels, or both. Reducing muzzle velocity will be important to making that can sound good with how large the bore is.

JCN
04-30-2023, 03:55 PM
Most shotgun ammunition is super sonic. The Salvo12 sounds better with low recoil, short barrels, or both. Reducing muzzle velocity will be important to making that can sound good with how large the bore is.

Super versus sub doesn’t matter. Not going for silence, going for not immediately deaf. :D

I suppress my 11” ARs too….

JCN
05-01-2023, 03:17 PM
https://youtu.be/G7Rflo7v89s

Centerfire
05-02-2023, 07:13 AM
The LXT is too slow to capture the peak of a gunshot. The peak of each of those shots is randomly anywhere between 3 and 7 db higher than recorded.

JCN
05-02-2023, 09:15 AM
The LXT is too slow to capture the peak of a gunshot. The peak of each of those shots is randomly anywhere between 3 and 7 db higher than recorded.

Sorry, I was just using shorthand.

It’s an LXT1, the one they recommended for gunshot noise.

https://www.larsondavis.com/Products/sound-level-meters/firearm-noise-qpr

That’s to the best of my knowledge though. If the LXT1 also suffers from being too slow then so be it. But that’s what they recommended for my specific application when I bought it.

It sounds like you have specific field knowledge and I would love to learn! Please let me know how you know what you know so I can learn too!

Centerfire
05-02-2023, 09:26 AM
Sorry, I was just using shorthand.

It’s an LXT1, the one they recommended for gunshot noise.

https://www.larsondavis.com/Products/sound-level-meters/firearm-noise-qpr

That’s to the best of my knowledge though. If the LXT1 also suffers from being too slow then so be it. But that’s what they recommended for my specific application when I bought it.

It sounds like you have specific field knowledge and I would love to learn! Please let me know how you know what you know so I can learn too!

Larson Davis' own testing points to the fact the LXT only has a 30 micro second mic. It doesn't rise fast enough to capture the peak so it clips the top. It isn't always repeatable. Silencer Shop got tons of flack for using that meter and eventually switched.

https://www.larsondavis.com/contentstore/MktgContent/LinkedDocuments/LarsonDavis/LxT-QPR-Firearm-Noise-Test-Comparison-(MD-0460).pdf

JCN
05-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Larson Davis' own testing points to the fact the LXT only has a 30 micro second mic. It doesn't rise fast enough to capture the peak so it clips the top. It isn't always repeatable. Silencer Shop got tons of flack for using that meter and eventually switched.

https://www.larsondavis.com/contentstore/MktgContent/LinkedDocuments/LarsonDavis/LxT-QPR-Firearm-Noise-Test-Comparison-(MD-0460).pdf

Hey that’s great info and context thanks!

I’m good with that amount of sound clipping for my purposes but you’re absolutely correct!

One thing I’ve noticed in testing things, I’m good with 3-7dB difference. Things like surface hardness, muzzle distance from ear, etc have more of an influence for what I’m using it for.

It seems like things fall into tier ranges anyway: 160+, 140-ish and 130 and below. A few dB probably won’t matter the most for my application but I totally get how it could and would in industry.

The “at ear” testing is also something that varies a lot depending on how long your arms are too. It’s something that can change quite a bit from online standards if you’re not standard height (like females, etc).

Centerfire
05-02-2023, 10:28 AM
A few db is literally the doubling of the sound pressure. It's why SS caught so much crap.

We should talk about 'not wanting to go deaf immediately'. For the last 30 years the silencer segment of the firearms industry has told consumers 140db and below is hearing safe. That isn't true. There was an OSHA study that claimed a single short duration exposure of 140db in a 24 hour period was the maximum threshold before permanent hearing loss occurred for the a average person. The key being the average person; older people, and people with previous hearing damage have a much lower threshold. More exposures drastically lowers the threshold in a 24hr period.

Unmuffled Shotguns are approximately the same sound level as Unmuffled pistols. If your muffled shotgun is anywhere close to 140, you are damaging your hearing every time you fire it without hearing protection. Yes, better than nothing. No, still going deaf immediately. I made the comment about ammunition because of hearing safety.

For what it's worth, many popular shooting ear muffs don't reduce sound exposure to prevent hearing loss from an Unmuffled rifle. A short 5.56 is between 165db and 170db. Howard Leights attenuate less than 18db.

I hope this helps a little.

JCN
05-02-2023, 11:53 AM
A few db is literally the doubling of the sound pressure. It's why SS caught so much crap.

We should talk about 'not wanting to go deaf immediately'. For the last 30 years the silencer segment of the firearms industry has told consumers 140db and below is hearing safe. That isn't true. There was an OSHA study that claimed a single short duration exposure of 140db in a 24 hour period was the maximum threshold before permanent hearing loss occurred for the a average person. The key being the average person; older people, and people with previous hearing damage have a much lower threshold. More exposures drastically lowers the threshold in a 24hr period.

Unmuffled Shotguns are approximately the same sound level as Unmuffled pistols. If your muffled shotgun is anywhere close to 140, you are damaging your hearing every time you fire it without hearing protection. Yes, better than nothing. No, still going deaf immediately. I made the comment about ammunition because of hearing safety.

For what it's worth, many popular shooting ear muffs don't reduce sound exposure to prevent hearing loss from an Unmuffled rifle. A short 5.56 is between 165db and 170db. Howard Leights attenuate less than 18db.

I hope this helps a little.

I totally agree with you on all of that.

I'm of the opinion that there is no safe threshold of sound and lower is better. I always double muff and plug, even with long guns. I depend on my hearing for work, so I'm pretty motivated to do as much as I can.

I initially bought the sound meter to answer the question of: how far do I have to be from my daughter inside an RV to bring the sound down to safe levels (IMO under 130dB) so that if I brought her to range while I practiced she would or wouldn't have to wear hearing pro inside the van.

I personally would not like to use a long gun inside a house for self defense without muffs or suppressor if I could help it.

So that's where some of my rabbit hole came about. I fully expect hearing damage if long gun used indoors, even with suppressor if no hearing pro. But the trade off might still be worth it if survival was on the line. Having other people in my house that might not be able to manage hearing pro in an emergency also motivates me to use long gun suppressors. Knowing that I'll still take damage.