PDA

View Full Version : Eye protection advice

Cacafuego
04-26-2023, 01:15 AM
I suffered a detached retina last summer. 3 surgeries down, HOPEFULLY one more to go. The opthalmologist advised me - commanded, really - to wear eye protection when training with contact. The detached retina, surgery and recovery were freaking miserable, and Lord I do not want to go through that again.

I've trained primarily striking, with some judo/BJJ for balance. (All respect to BJJ but I do not enjoy it.) I'm 53 years old so if I can't be "fighter guy" any more that's hardly the end of the world (and truth be told I was never very good anyway), but it will make me unhappy.

Does anybody have any experience with eye pro for training? I've never seen anyone using it, and my dr, while insisting I use it, didn't have any examples to offer.

vcdgrips
04-26-2023, 08:12 AM
Edge of Lane at very best.

You have one set of eye and one set of feet-GOOD on you for seeking out this info.

1. Your request made me think of James Worthy. NBA player who had a cornea scratched early in his career. He played with wrap around specs for the remainder of his career. Those specs are now in the Smithsonian.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1179740

2. Way back in the day THE brand was REC-SPEC. I am sure that Oakley, Nike and others are in the space.

3. To me-wrap around protection that will not move even under vigorous activity is paramount. Certainly to cost and even comfort. They have to be big enough that nothing can get thru yet give you the fullest field of vision possible.

4. On a side note- 2006 or 07. I went to Gunsite. I had purchased Oakley M series at the direction of Pat Rogers (RIP) I had a double charge in the am of day 2. The blast and splatter to my face drew blood in multiple places. I have no doubt that I would have suffered class ending and likely permanent damage but for the quality eye pro I was wearing.

5. I would consider getting two sets, particularly if they, themselves are not RX. One is none and two is one….

6. Let us know what you do

Totem Polar
04-26-2023, 10:10 AM
Having had a detachment really F up my life for several years running, I get it. That said, I haven’t found anything that works better than OEM nature’s flinch/blink response. I do all my training au naturel, and just consider my age (55) and set the agenda with my training partners. At this point, I have to be very realistic about my capabilities.

The exception is anything with sticks and drone knives—for that I use milspec wrap around eyes with croakies and nobody seems to mind.

But with grappling/combatives, I just stay very present and very focussed. Have to watch the eyes, the knees, hell, pretty much everything. I do NOT want to return to the days when I couldn’t drive or read sheet music at work.

For what it’s worth.

Clusterfrack
04-26-2023, 10:21 AM
...I haven’t found anything that works better than OEM nature’s flinch/blink response. I do all my training au naturel, and just consider my age (55) and set the agenda with my training partners. At this point, I have to be very realistic about my capabilities.

The exception is anything with sticks and drone knives—for that I use milspec wrap around eyes with croakies and nobody seems to mind.

But with grappling/combatives, I just stay very present and very focussed. Have to watch the eyes, the knees, hell, pretty much everything...

My approach is similar to this, and I have training partners who I trust to keep metal training knives below the neck. Of course, accidents happen but wearing eyepro on the mats is problematic enough that I rarely do it. New students can be spastic and unpredictable, so I have a pair of my favorite safety glasses in my gym bag. Fogging is a problem even with the built-in anti-fog treatment, so one student drilled a bunch of air holes in his.

Radians RS1-11 Rad-Sequel Rubber Tipped Lightweight Glasses with Clear Anti-Fog Lens
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GRO9DA/

vcdgrips
04-26-2023, 11:04 AM
CF

Admittedly, I am not training like you are. So take my next comments FWTW.

My present shooting eye is off the Approved Army list and made by ESS.

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/Equipment/Approved-Eyewear-QPL/

Post surgery # 3 pf 4, on Dr's Orders, on pure principle alone, I am not trusting my recently "rehabbed" eyes to a 4.00 piece of made in China "eye protection."

YMMV greatly.

Clusterfrack
04-26-2023, 11:07 AM
CF

Post surgery/on Dr's Orders, on pure principle alone, I am not trusting my recently "rehabbed" eyes to a 4.00 piece of made in China "eye protection."

YMMV greatly.

Great point.

flyrodr
04-26-2023, 03:30 PM
No personal experience with contact sports, but have worn various "sport glasses" for decades for baseball, tennis, swimming, etc. Blind as a bat without corrective lenses (until recent cataract surgery), so the specs necessary. Many options with various nose pieces, cushioning (and/or sealing for swimming), and straps. One source for many brands is https://www.sporteyes.com/eyewear-by-sport/all-sport-goggles.html.

Duces Tecum
04-26-2023, 03:39 PM
Questsion to all: Why would common safety goggles (not glasses), available at any Lowe's or Home Depot, not be considered?

Duces

eaglefrq
04-26-2023, 06:28 PM
Have you checked out Wiley X? I don't have any, I have some ESS and recommend them, but I've heard the Wiley X is great also.

Mister X
04-26-2023, 09:24 PM
Headgear with full face shield, along with a significant of caution, would be my recommendation if you absolutely must engage in contact training. Reconsidering the why behind you feel the need to do so might make sense. I wouldn’t take any chances, but maybe that’s me.

Clusterfrack
04-26-2023, 09:44 PM
My approach is similar to this, and I have training partners who I trust to keep metal training knives below the neck. Of course, accidents happen but wearing eyepro on the mats is problematic enough that I rarely do it. New students can be spastic and unpredictable, so I have a pair of my favorite safety glasses in my gym bag. Fogging is a problem even with the built-in anti-fog treatment, so one student drilled a bunch of air holes in his.

Radians RS1-11 Rad-Sequel Rubber Tipped Lightweight Glasses with Clear Anti-Fog Lens
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GRO9DA/

CF

Post surgery # 3 pf 4, on Dr's Orders, on pure principle alone, I am not trusting my recently "rehabbed" eyes to a 4.00 piece of made in China "eye protection."

YMMV greatly.

Here's a more detailed response to a good question: why use cheap safety glasses made of Chinesium? For almost all of my shooting, I use Oakley SI Speed Jacket glasses with thick ballistic lenses. I recently got fragged by about half a 9mm bullet that bounced off an edge hit on a steel plate at ~7 yds. It hit dead center of my right lens, hard enough that I felt the push into the nosebridge. Yep, I'm a believer in quality safety glasses.

For combatives, airsoft, etc., I think the Chinese cheapos are fine. I'm not going to wear a $250 pair of Oakleys on the mat. It's way too easy for them to get ruined.

vcdgrips
04-27-2023, 11:48 AM
I would humbly assert that between 4.00 chinesium and 250.00 Oakley there lies a sweet spot.

Again, using the army list as a starting point

Honeywell Uvex is under 20 USD. Another 10.00 for a strap?

Revision Sawfly with an OEM strap is under 50 USD

ESS is likely a sub 50.00 USD solution as well.

There is zero reason to go cheap on protecting your eyes, especially given the modest priced offerings widely available that are far superior.

RJ
04-27-2023, 11:53 AM
Great thread. It's going to cause me to reevaluate my eyepro, which was last refreshed 2017. Perhaps. Maybe.

I may have some questions later.

RJ
04-27-2023, 11:57 AM
Questsion to all: Why would common safety goggles (not glasses), available at any Lowe's or Home Depot, not be considered?

Duces

For unwanted pregnancies? Absolutely! :cool:

For use outside of a high school chemistry class, I dunno. Way outside my lane, but I'd guess the squashable sides, sketchy fit with a single elastic band, and their tendency to fog more than a San Francisco Bay spring would suggest there are better options for shooting.

RJ
04-27-2023, 12:15 PM
Ok, it was 2018. $8, I'm going to assume Chinesium. Bag is marked "Z87+/EN 166 F", "ANSI Z87.1", and "Ballistic Rated".

https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-SG-37C-OVR-Spec-Size-Clear/dp/B004I7RVZI/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_high_sccl_1/138-8872494-6029828?pd_rd_w=MF1Kw&content-id=amzn1.sym.26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_p=26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_r=J12CWQK8AGKAMQDEYFGB&pd_rd_wg=SHQIV&pd_rd_r=f5cbb3e2-23c4-4a38-9f9e-8ed0cfe882ce&pd_rd_i=B004I7RVZI&psc=1

The problem is I don't find many eyepro that can fit over my glasses, and these are one of the few that do (just barely.)

Erik
04-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Headgear with full face shield, along with a significant of caution, would be my recommendation if you absolutely must engage in contact training. Reconsidering the why behind you feel the need to do so might make sense. I wouldn’t take any chances, but maybe that’s me.

I think this is your only answer for striking and it's probably not a good one at that. For something like a detached retina, I think you want to protect your eyes not just from being poked but also from shock or concussion. Certainly when I had a detached retina, that was one of the things the doc recommended avoiding. Also, getting punched in the face and having the glasses jammed into it is going to suck and could very well drive the glasses themselves into your eye. For BJJ or grappling, I can't imagine what you could wear that wouldn't get ripped off your face other than, maybe, wrestling headgear. I really don't know.

The problem is I don't find many eyepro that can fit over my glasses, and these are one of the few that do (just barely.)

Spending the money for prescription eyepro is worth it.

For reference, I lost an eye a few years ago so I almost never even leave the house without protective glasses of some kind. In my case, multiple pairs of Oakleys for different roles - sunglasses, clear wraparounds (transition lenses now - they really work well) and glasses for an office setting. All of them are prescription, at least one lens, because I wear them for distance. I've been whacked in the face wearing them. It sucks. I've also been really glad I was wearing them on multiple occasions. It's money well spent.

Polecat
04-27-2023, 07:12 PM
I received a glancing thumb blow with the thumb of boxing glove sparring. Developed a bad MRSA corneal ulcer, took 3 mos to resolve! Always wear impact sport goggles now when I do any sparring / rolling.

Lastly, with respect to your specific retinal injury, having your head jostled and impacted is as risky! Make sure your clinician knows exactly what you are doing or want to do!

Erik
04-27-2023, 07:20 PM
Always wear impact sport goggles now when I do any sparring / rolling.

What do you wear that works for sparring and rolling and how well does it work? I'd love to know that.

Totem Polar
04-27-2023, 07:36 PM
Chiming in just to add that ESS is my current go-to brand for .mil approved eye pro.

TAZ
04-27-2023, 07:50 PM
First off, sorry for your troubles and good luck with the rehab.

We are talking about contact sports here correct, so stuff needs to protect from impact (not projectile level stuff) AND stay put on your head during said contact. Whatever you go with should probably have some kind of lanyard to keep the glasses put. Maybe look at stuff for racquetball/squash or Lacrosse in addition to shooting. Racquetball/squash won't protect your from projectiles, but I can attest they will protect from a fast moving ball or racquet to the eye.

smells like feet
05-01-2023, 07:50 PM
For striking you can get boxing headgear with a nose bar or even a cage....its kind of cheating but your sparring partners at the gym will understand if you explain the eye doctor bit. Likewise a High Gear helmet might work if your sparring partners are cool with it.

Grappling eye pro...never, ever seen anyone use it, cant help you there

RJ
05-13-2023, 05:40 PM

For any other eye glasses wearers, I received another option today from the Amazon Gods; $11.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLW5XDD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Fit is excellent, these are larger by perhaps 10% of my Elvex. Kind of a Glock 17 where the Elvex are Glock 19. The blue stripe is hard plastic (I was thinking it'd be rubber, but no). Despite that the ear pieces are ok, straight; they are meant to be bent to shape which I will get around to.

They cup my glasses very well; I was having some issues lately since I got new frames and lenses a couple months ago, and the set I picked was a bit larger than last year's pair. They are ANSI Z81+ and EN 166/170 rated, at least according to the manufacturer. The remind me of the ones my Dental Hygienist wears, to be honest. The plastic is clear and features fixed wrap around panels. Eye and temple coverage is excellent. Because they are large and clear, the outward view is very good, with minimal distortion through the plastic.

A brief test fit with my Sordin Supreme Pro X ear pro went well, no issues with the Noisefighter gel cups fitting over both sets of earpieces. And they come with a convenient storage bag. So far so good.

RJ
04-05-2024, 06:46 AM
Bump! I'm recently going through cataract surgery, which is almost complete. With that, it appears I no longer will need glasses when shooting. That being the case, I'm on the hunt for some new eyewear. I went through the peostri APEL list and tentatively settled on Revision's Sawfly (basic kit):

https://www.revisionmilitary.com/eyewear/spectacles/sawfly

Is this a decent option, or are there better / more typical choices by Wiley or ESS or Oakley?

My head size is 23"...so I'm in the "regular" group according to the sizing charts I'm seeing...

RJ
04-05-2024, 07:00 AM
Here's another option, this isn't on the APEL list but is by Wiley, seems to be MIL PRF rated (?), wrap around and at a more economical price point ($50)?

https://a.co/d/80aYWmz

vcdgrips
04-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Current Army approved eyepro as of Jan 2024

I would not wear anything that was not on the list, particularly after the time/talent/treasure recently expended getting your eyes right.

You have one set of eyes and one set of feet- NEVER scrimp on glasses, shoes or socks.

RJ
04-06-2024, 06:32 AM
^^^ lol; yep, I got the same input from my wife last night. :) She asked me to recall how much we typically spend on my glasses every year (maybe $700); to put $150-$250 on eye pro into perspective. Makes sense.

So, the apel list is where I need to be picking from. I plan to head out today to a few Sports warehouse places to see how these types of sunglasses fit on my head. It's been since like forever since I wore contacts (15 years at least) and it is weird putting on readers and such like. I'll be glad to have only one ear piece under my ear pro, for sure.

RJ
04-19-2024, 03:19 PM
Finally got around to ordering my eye pro, this arrived today:

"Oakley Men's Oo9047 Ballistic M Frame 2.0"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BS5GSVQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I ordered mine in matte black / clear as these are meant to be for the range. Nose piece is high quality rubber, and the ear pieces are fairly slim. Hinges appear pretty robust. Pretty comfortable, wearing them here around the house. Fit is good, finish seems pretty high quality. I was mildly surprised it was marked "Made in the USA", which I was oddly happy for, given it's on the APEL list.

They are bit spendy at a buck fifty, but I have only one set of eyes and I'd kinda like to keep them in working condition, given how much I just spent on cataract surgery. I do have a pair of Oakley "Plank" frames in Wayfarer style I was using for single vision sunglasses, and I'm pretty happy with how they fit me. (I was able to source replacement no-correction sunglass lenses for the Plank's, and popped them in yesterday - win.) These frames are a more open design obviously, but fit is similar.

Appreciate all the input in this thread, thanks a bunch.