PDA

View Full Version : If you could only use 1 arm....

1More
04-24-2023, 09:49 AM
...What would you use for a small carry gun and what would you use for a duty / home defense gun?

I've got a continuously degrading shoulder on my weak hand side and have surgery in my near future. As a result, I'm looking at being restricted to using one arm only, at least for 5 to 10 weeks, and realized I need to start considering what I will do if I am restricted to one arm for pistol fighting (I already have to swim 'one arm only' due to range of motion problems). The challenge here is to look at it not as a training drill or a strong/weak hand only match stage, but as a constant fact of life.
I'm looking at this from a manual of arms perspective and a shoot ability perspective. Manual of arms...meaning being able to work without the gun upping the odds of an ND drawing and reholstering...with only one arm. Shootability...basically looking for a gun that offers the least amount of static to the user when it isn't locked down in a two handed grip (and hopefully something good for more than ENT/ 'get off me' distance. For sake of discussion, I'm referring to compact/duty size guns as one category (G19/P07+ size) and small carry guns as the other (365XL / LCR size guns). I've done a search, and while good, most of what I found centered around instruction for a guy who lost part of his arm below the elbow. I'm good on the basics of one arm manipulation of a semi automatic pistol, and am starting to work through the considerations for a revolver. I've got my own thoughts on this subject, but am interested in what the collective forum's experience has to offer.

As far as the surgery; I am still hoping my surgeon can go with a stemless replacement. I'll find out this week. I am not looking forward to this if a reverse replacement creeps back into the picture.

...it all started when I was 19 and a fellow jumper entered me into an arm wrestling match with a C-130; 34 years later and I'm starting to feel it;)

Noah
04-24-2023, 10:15 AM
First thing I would look for would be the ability to more safely reholster the gun with less use of the other hand to perfectly clear the holster. Glock with an SCD, a good thumb safety, or TDA/LEM. Reloading would be harder so even for carry I'd probably lean towards as much capacity as I could have.

For the house, a heavy full size gun, TDA or manual safety, with a WML. I don't EDC a WML but if I only had one arm available I probably would.

What guns do you have available to you now?

JTQ
04-24-2023, 10:32 AM
The Gen 5 Glock's with the ambi-slide stop is probably pretty ambidextrous, I'd just make sure you can consistently get them to cycle when one handed shooting.

BillSWPA
04-24-2023, 10:45 AM
Is your strong hand your right hand or your left hand?

1More
04-24-2023, 10:51 AM
Is your strong hand your right hand or your left hand?

Right hand, right eye dominant; so that works out in my favor.

Duelist
04-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Several years ago, my brother broke both of the forearm bones in his dominant arm while skiing. He was in a cast from hand to over the elbow.

This prompted some thought about how to function in the world with only one hand. I got curious about how to run a pistol that way, talked to some folks who had experience with it, and then experimented. I put a sock on the hand I was pretending didn’t work (just to remind me), and went to work. I worked both hands individually, various kinds of pistols, and dummy cartridges. I then went to the range and experimented live fire.

For safe manipulation, DA revolvers>any semi-auto, IMHO. The concerns about increased risk of ND are legit, and it is easier to manage with a DA revolver once you work out the mechanics of it - use dummy cartridges until it is clear that you can take care of business. Loading/unloading a DA revolver one handed is simple, though loading one handed can be slow. For carry, I would run at least two of them, and in the house, I would have many. I would plan for no emergency reloads, just drop it and grab another one.

If I went with a semi-auto, I would pick a DAO or Glock - something that if you drop it, it’s a safe as it can be with internal safeties automatically engaged, no hammer to drop or manipulate, no lever to manipulate, it’s just safe.

Safely cycling the slide on a semi-auto in any kind of hurry with only one arm/hand, especially if there is any stress involved, seems a very poor plan, so I would throw out reloading a semi-auto under any circumstances other than administratively. Grabbing a second gun seems a better plan than reloading, but it can be worked around with gear and a flat rear sight to hook on something. Magazine holders that grip the magazine by the base, in position to have the pistol mag well slammed down over it should be able to work, but I’d rather drop an empty and grab another loaded gun than reload under stress.

If you choose a semi-auto, you will need to prove that it will run one handed - that it doesn’t need or care about added recoil resistance from a second hand. This is another thing you won’t have to worry about with a DA revolver.

Another thing: Even administratively, loading a swing-out cylinder one handed is easy compared to loading a pistol magazine one-handed.

If I am ever in this situation (I would hate it, since I play guitar), I would probably put semi-autos away mostly, and carry and shoot DA revolvers.

The reason why: The only advantage of the semi-auto would be more time due to higher capacity before needing to worry about trying to reload or switching to a different pistol. The DA revolver’s advantages in safe administrative handling would trump the capacity advantage of the semi-auto for me, since I spend a lot more time at the range and carrying pistols than actually having gunfights.

SA revolvers would go from mostly fun range toys with some hunting, hiking, and horseback riding utility to exclusively range toys b/c I have found no good, not completely awkward way to load/unload one with only one hand, and running a horse and pistol with one hand at the same time would be stupid for this guy who occasionally rides other peoples’ horses recreationally. If I had my own horse and rode more regularly, I might feel differently, but with only one hand, I’m going to be working the horse while on the back of one, not worrying about safe manipulations of any gun, where with two hands I will carry an SA revolver while riding.

BillSWPA
04-24-2023, 11:11 AM
Right hand, right eye dominant; so that works out in my favor.

Yes, that does work in your favor. With that in mind, I would stick with what you are already comfortable with.

If you do not already have a rear sight with a vertical forward face that can potentially be pushed against something to retract the slide, this would be helpful.

I also suggest as high a magazine capacity as the size limitations of concealed carry in your circumstances allow. Reloading with one hand is going to be significantly slower than reloading with 2 hands regardless fo what you choose, so a revolver or other low capacity gun is unlikely to be a good choice.

Regarding loading magazines, I saw this device at the NRA Annual Meeting:

https://spdmags.com/

I have no personal experience with it, but perhaps it could help?

1More
04-24-2023, 11:13 AM
First thing I would look for would be the ability to more safely reholster the gun with less use of the other hand to perfectly clear the holster. Glock with an SCD, a good thumb safety, or TDA/LEM. Reloading would be harder so even for carry I'd probably lean towards as much capacity as I could have.

For the house, a heavy full size gun, TDA or manual safety, with a WML. I don't EDC a WML but if I only had one arm available I probably would.

What guns do you have available to you now?

Thanks for asking - I'm holding off on getting into my own details right now while I listen to other's input. In part, what I'm looking for is if anyone has encountered a setup that was significantly better as a one handed shooter over others (assuming equal skill and proficiency). That said, from a manipulation standpoint, your suggestions are on par with my own thoughts and it sounds like you've seen the inside of my gun safe. My current home gun wears a WML and lives in a Philster floodlight so it has a place to go if the weapon doesn't need to be immediately in hand(There are one handed techniques for transitioning from a handheld to a weapon mounted light and back).

BK14
04-24-2023, 11:14 AM
I went down for shoulder surgery a few years ago. I don’t normally carry something smaller than a 19, but on occasion I’ll carry a 19 with a 26 frame if I need. I wouldn’t personally be looking for a smaller gun for this. Smaller guns not only carry less ammo, requiring more potential for a mag change, but they also tend to have less reliability with weak grips, and have smaller control pieces (mag release, slide stop).

If you already have a 19, or P07, I’d just keep rocking that for everything, and toss a weapon light on it with extended mag for home defense. I’ll echo that a hammer, thumb safety, of SCD would be a huge bonus since you don’t have the support hand to clear your garment. I found that appendix was ideal, and I could lift my shirt to my injured arms hand (in a sling) to get the shirt clear for reholstering.

For ammo management, carrying spare ammo in the right front pocket, or a mag pouch on the hip of whatever arm is working is a good option. If you’re using a pre-gen 5 Glock, you might want to consider the the vickers slide stop, or extended Glock part to aid in one handed clearing.

If you don’t run an optic, I’d suggest that as well. The optic body makes one handed slide manipulation easier.

Noah
04-24-2023, 11:21 AM
Thanks for asking - I'm holding off on getting into my own details right now while I listen to other's input. In part, what I'm looking for is if anyone has encountered a setup that was significantly better as a one handed shooter over others (assuming equal skill and proficiency). That said, from a manipulation standpoint, your suggestions are on par with my own thoughts and it sounds like you've seen the inside of my gun safe. My current home gun wears a WML and lives in a Philster floodlight so it has a place to go if the weapon doesn't need to be immediately in hand(There are one handed techniques for transitioning from a handheld to a weapon mounted light and back).

If I suddenly injured an arm, my house and probably carry would be my PX4 full, but I'd slap a 20 round mag and WML on it. For smaller carry, maybe put a TLR7Sub on my PX4CC.

Long story short, I'd make do with what I have because what I have kinda fits the criteria already.

In a vacuum, not considering what I already have, I'd probably opt for LEM or manual safety over TDA. I love TDA but I'm still a little slow for an accurate first shot one handed. Two handed, not a problem, but one handed DA shooting is hard enough to me if I lost use of an arm and could pick, I'd go LEM or manual safety SAO. If I wanted something smaller than an HK P30 or the new 92XI, I don't like Sig, but a 365XL/Macro with a safety or a Shield Plus with the extended safety, or an 80X.

Glock with an SCD is also always good.

Totem Polar
04-24-2023, 11:26 AM
If I were in your boat, I’d probably default to revolvers. But I’m a revolver guy.

I once took a class with a gentleman that only had use of his dominant arm. He ran, of all things, a Colt officer’s model—in .45acp no less. Incredibly, he had less trouble with reliability than almost everyone else there with what was a challenging class, including myself running a vetted Gen 3 G17. Being that he navigated life with one arm, he’d developed a lot of strength in his primary arm, including a grip like a pipe fitter. As well, the traditional 1911 safety set up was no disadvantage, since he was right hand only anyways.

Still and in all, I was surprised at the stone reliability of that officer’s model, shooting from all sorts of disadvantaged positions. The internet had long conditioned me to think of short 1911s as being on the ragged edge, but again, this guy’s gun ran 100 percent which was more than could be said for pretty much everyone else’s pistol.

But I ramble. My ultimate vote, FWIW, is the gun you are already most familiar and comfortable with. JMO.

Clusterfrack
04-24-2023, 11:45 AM
1More, challenging question. You have some good suggestions already. Here are a few thoughts:

Reloading, malfunction clearance, and safe holstering are all much more challenging SHO. So, I would choose a mid to full-size TDA that is reliable using a compromised grip. I would want 15-17 rounds at least to avoid a reload.

I can make a Glock 19 (and many other guns) stovepipe if I use a loose limpwrist single-hand grip. Only two carry guns I've owned were 100% reliable even with a very poor grip (CZ P-07, HK USPc). Testing will be key.

A WML is more important if you only have one hand, but being able to switch it on and off under stress SHO is not a given for all light models. The TLR-7a/8a high switch works well for me single-handed, using the trigger finger to tap on/off. Consider a WML/green laser combo like the TLR8ag for reasons explained below.

A single-handed index (automatic sight alignment) on the draw, under stress, in awkward positions or while moving is not a given. Iron sights can be more forgiving of a missed grip or other index problem. People 'lose the dot' all the time at USPSA matches using two hands, let alone one. However, some shooters almost never lose their dot, and the difference is skill and practice. I've put a lot of time into my SHO/WHO shooting lately, and would feel very confident carrying and shooting SHO. WHO is still more of a challenge for me. I've been burning 50-100 rounds per practice session just shooting singles and doubles WHO. If I was limited to one hand, I'd spend a lot of time on fundamentals (draws, doubles, and transitions) dry and live. And, a laser can solve a lot of problems in jacked up positions and in the dark.

PX4 Storm Tracker
04-24-2023, 11:46 AM
I do a lot of one handed shooting righty and lefty and find that using the pistol you are most familiar with and have the most rounds through is a great advantage.

That aside, mechanically speaking- for a one-handed use something that doesn't have too large of a grip so that you can really wrap your fingers around it and hold onto it well is an advantage.
Having a pistol that is not nose heavy is also helpful. This makes manipulation and movement between targets faster.
For holstering safely something with a double action and a hammer also gives an advantage.

A lot of these traits, including 16 rounds on board make a PX4 Storm Compact 9 a viable option. Its very soft recoil and straight line movement, based on the rotating barrel can make it easier to control during rapid fire with one hand.
It is also not prone to limp wrist stoppages and has no grip safety. It can also be fired without a magazine.

It has a picatinny rail if you want to put a light on when you put it on the nightstand.

1Rangemaster
04-24-2023, 12:17 PM
Echo that there are good suggestions already.
Several years back, I wrecked my left shoulder in a fall. I ran an iron sight 19 with no issues, to include competing at an IALEFFI conference shoot adequately. I'll credit Clint Smith and Rogers Shooting School for their instruction. Clint had, as I recall, at least a half day(maybe full one) where we stuck our dominant hand into a coffee can with a leather thing to hold on to. His logic was following the 1986 FBI shootout; even if your hand is a bloody mess, one can work with the stump so to speak. YMMV.
+1 on Clusterfrack suggestions of a TLR8g. I've got one, and it usually rides on a 19MOS. I ran it in a low light session with iron sights-worked for me. I would strongly consider not running a dot; more to manipulate, battery changes, etc.
I don't have a lot of time on DA/SA guns, so the Glocks or CZ would make sense for me.
Finally, FWIW, last summer I had some eye surgery. Recuperating at home for a couple of weeks, I had a .22lr 317 in the sweatpants pocket, so I could get to the bigger autos. That's just me though...

camsdaddy
04-24-2023, 12:31 PM
If I was limited to one hand I would go to my S&W 60 for carry and my model 10 or Glock 34 for home use. I shoot my 60 pretty good and oddly enough one handed I may shoot it better than my semi. I wont have a hand to clear a garment so being able to have a hand in my pocket is a benefit. I would switch to the 10 or 34 for home defense because concealment wont be an issue I either give me more chances.

JCN
04-24-2023, 12:39 PM
1More

For small gun, 6 shot revolver.

For larger gun, something with true double strike capability. P229 DASA or CZP01.

Consider optic mounted to make one handed racking easier.

If it were me, I would probably drop the recoil spring weight by a couple pounds to give more buffer for limp wristing and easier one-handed racking.

FrankB
04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Problem Solved!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DopeyLimitedLarva-size_restricted.gif

ETA I’m left handed, left eye dominant, but…. I shot pistols with my right hand, and rifles with my left hand. The malfunction clearing issue would lead me to a revolver. I can shoot a pistol left handed, but that’s just me. My brother is cross dominant in the other direction.

RevolverRob
04-24-2023, 01:40 PM
I'll buck the TDA trend.

A Commander-length 1911, milled for an RMR, in 9mm would be pretty tough to beat in this scenario.

1) Easy to shoot one handed
2) Thumb safety can be ridden from underside while moving/holstering
3) The magazines are easy to load.
4) The recoil spring assembly will be light, making one handed racking off the window of the optic easy.
5) With a standard GI-type recoil spring/guide rod setup you can load/unload and correct failure to eject and certain failure to feed malfunctions by pushing the gun out of battery on a hard surface (door frame, desk, hunk of wood) (i.e. you can use a piece of furniture to rack the slide).
6) You can disassemble the gun with one hand for field stripping, but pushing down on the recoil spring plug, and rotating the bushing with your thumb (assuming a hand tight bushing).

The only hard part is reloading the gun when empty. Which is another reason to opt for a 9mm, you'll run 10+1 out of Wilson or Tripp magazines.

JHC
04-24-2023, 03:25 PM
If I were in your boat, I’d probably default to revolvers. But I’m a revolver guy.

Me too I think. And I might go for two of them. Two very light snubbies rather than try to train up one handed reloads. Kinda like that one armed deputy in Unforgiven.

I could also imagine one of my reliable small semis that I've found to handle well SHO because my dominant hand can dominate the small grip backed by a snub.
G43 and 43X obvious candidates but also my M&P Compact .22 which has shot like the blazes and is easy to make crazy fast accurate hits . . . bursts of hits actually SHO. Then backed by a snubbie.

Totem Polar
04-24-2023, 03:37 PM
is it possible to tape switch a light on a revolver, eg, TRR8? . That would be interesting, if something like this could be used on the frontstrap with wood grips:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Grip-Switch-Assembly-WeaponLights/dp/B001V2X9RM?th=1

Biggy
04-24-2023, 03:50 PM
Probably something like this in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LkpJUUMOQ

breakingtime91
04-24-2023, 07:42 PM

Was recently in your position when I had two surgeries on my dominant hand pinky. It honestly has completely changed my life when it came to a lot of things, including my two biggest hobbies of weight lifting and shooting pistols. I originally planned on keeping my sig 365xls and just running them left handed. This seemed like a great idea until I continuously missed the little safety and the recoil one handed, especially week hand, was not superb. I then went back to glock, thinking a g19 would solve my woes. While it solved the issue of the safety, recoil, I didn't recognize even after I healed as much as possible (my pinky is maybe at 70% of what it used to be as far use) and I struggle with pain in the joint, my dexterity went down. This has led to me being very uneasy carrying them and training with them. It is probably all in my head but even with the scd, I realized the shorter trigger just wasn't a good idea for my new found abilities. I personally decided to go back to the lem, specifically a V2 p2000. It is fully ambidextrous incase I need to learn to shoot pistol left handed, which is a strong possibility, holds 13+1, and gives me the added safety of the hammer for draws and holstering. May reason is it gives me a long first trigger pull that isn't overly heavy. I have come to terms with the fact that I will probably never be to the same level of pistol shooter I was before, so I am strictly going for what I think is the safest thing for ME to carry every single day and train with.

breakingtime91
04-24-2023, 07:44 PM
1More, challenging question. You have some good suggestions already. Here are a few thoughts:

Reloading, malfunction clearance, and safe holstering are all much more challenging SHO. So, I would choose a mid to full-size TDA that is reliable using a compromised grip. I would want 15-17 rounds at least to avoid a reload.

I can make a Glock 19 (and many other guns) stovepipe if I use a loose limpwrist single-hand grip. Only two carry guns I've owned were 100% reliable even with a very poor grip (CZ P-07, HK USPc). Testing will be key.

A WML is more important if you only have one hand, but being able to switch it on and off under stress SHO is not a given for all light models. The TLR-7a/8a high switch works well for me single-handed, using the trigger finger to tap on/off. Consider a WML/green laser combo like the TLR8ag for reasons explained below.

A single-handed index (automatic sight alignment) on the draw, under stress, in awkward positions or while moving is not a given. Iron sights can be more forgiving of a missed grip or other index problem. People 'lose the dot' all the time at USPSA matches using two hands, let alone one. However, some shooters almost never lose their dot, and the difference is skill and practice. I've put a lot of time into my SHO/WHO shooting lately, and would feel very confident carrying and shooting SHO. WHO is still more of a challenge for me. I've been burning 50-100 rounds per practice session just shooting singles and doubles WHO. If I was limited to one hand, I'd spend a lot of time on fundamentals (draws, doubles, and transitions) dry and live. And, a laser can solve a lot of problems in jacked up positions and in the dark.

Exactly why I gravitated back to irons after my surgery. I absolutely love shooting dot equipped guns but irons allowed me to acquire a sight picture much more consistently more expediently.

LJP
04-24-2023, 08:33 PM
In your situation, I think I would probably pack my favorite revolver in a City Special holster. The grip of a revolver is easy to access from the waistband, the revolver is not subject to functional problems induced by a compromised grip or limp wrist firing, and the city special holster is specifically designed to facilitate single hand reloading. For those that may be concerned about capacity, the odds of needing to reload in a civilian defensive gun use are statistically insignificant. I would probably default to the same option for home defense, given that long arms are a bit more difficult to wield one handed than a “handgun.” If you feel the need for a long gun, PCC for the win.

Wise_A
04-24-2023, 08:39 PM
Revolver and a NY reload.

psalms144.1
04-24-2023, 08:50 PM
Revolvers are the easy button, but severely capacity challenged, and you can forget about SHO/WHO reloading. I used to be in the "carry two" camp, but, recent health issues from old injuries have shown me that's just not happening for me anymore.

Everybody's immediate answer to "what should I carry" is always a Glock 19. However, I do NOT advise the Glock for SHO/WHO carry unless you have shot that way EXTENSIVELY. Especially with the newer generation dual-recoil spring pistols, the chance of inducing a malfunction with improper or just weaker than usual grip sky rockets. We've seen tons of police shooting videos where Glocks malfunction when fired one-handed or from compromised positions - so I'd steer clear.

The P07 is a wonderful pistol, but trigger pull is on the heavy side, unless you're down for a lot of spring changes and experimenting to make sure you have 100% reliability.

The HK LEM pistols (P2000 is my favorite) flat suck to try to shoot at competition speed, but, for safety, they're super hard to beat with a very long, deliberate trigger pull, and a spur hammer you can thumb on reholstering.

Another honorable mention would be a P229 DAK - again, the trigger is an abortion if you want to go fast, but self decocking and deliberate are, IMHO, better for dealing with physical limitation than a "go fast" pistol.

I'm sure there are other good options out there, but those three (P07, P2000, and P229 DAK) would be my first three choices.

ETA: I've been in your shoes (gloves?) at least twice over my career - once with a severely broken left pinky, once with a severely broken right pinky. In both instances, I was limited by agency policy to have to shoot my issued pistol (P228 at the time) which caused me no end of grief in weapons handling. Decocking a "classic Sig" left hand only with a left hand that's 85% at best due to the partially functional pinky on that club is just no fun. Hence my recommendations towards DAO style semi's.

RevolverRob
04-24-2023, 08:59 PM
I might even kick it up a notch if I knew I'd be one handed and put target grips biased towards the hand I was shooting with on my 1911. Because why not? You can't get full palm rest and thumb rest grips and conceal them, but something with a flare at the base, finger grooves, maybe a small thumb rest. I wouldn't normally use something like that, because typically flares gets in the way of the support hand. But it wouldn't matter here and it would give you a bit more leverage for control.

Clusterfrack
04-24-2023, 09:49 PM
...The P07 is a wonderful pistol, but trigger pull is on the heavy side, unless you're down for a lot of spring changes and experimenting to make sure you have 100% reliability.

We have this figured out. You need 3 parts that are easy to install: #15 hammer spring, CGW firing pin and FP roll pin.

BillSWPA
04-24-2023, 11:02 PM
When I first bought my Glock 26, I deliberately tried to induce a malfunction with a weak grip. I was completely unable to do so shooting strong hand only. Shooting weak hand only, I was only able to induce a malfunction by holding the gun with my middle finger only, and only by holding it very loosely with that finger. Have Glocks become that much worse since 1997?

While capacity might not be significant in most civilian gunfights, if you are in a gunfight, the odds have already proven to be of little protection. Having as much as possible to avoid a 1 hand reload could potentially prove valuable.

A heavier trigger might be safer, and also might be more difficult to use accurately with 1 hand only depending on the trigger, hand strength and condition, and amount of practice. I would only switch guns if the current gun is set up for use only with a specific hand, and that hand is not the functioning hand. Sticking with what one is already comfortable and familiar with is likely to produce the best results with the least effort.

TheNewbie
04-25-2023, 05:35 AM
I would go revolver. That's what I do in my free time.

The revolver has two major issues, capacity and reloading. For me the benefits of administrative handling simplicity, safer trigger, safer handling, etc, would outweigh the downsides for your temporary intended purpose. For the short time you plan to go that route, I would be fine with a 5 or 6 shot revolver. LCR, 856, SP-101, etc. If you're willing to go a little larger, then GP100 2.5 or 3 inch, or even a 686 + 2.5 inch.

Hambo
04-25-2023, 05:42 AM

That's exactly what I did when I was limited to one hand. Today that would be my Beretta with an 18-20 mag. I would also consider a 9mm 1911. Another alternative is a couple of j-frames strong side.

SWAT Lt.
04-25-2023, 06:21 AM
I was faced with a similar situation in 2021 when I tore my bicep, on my strong side, and had to have it surgically repaired. Fortunately, I had routinely trained shooting support hand only so I was confident I could defend myself when I suddenly lost any significant use of my right arm for months. Still, I didn't want to carry something too small or complicated as I didn't have the dexterity of my strong hand. I chose to carry a G19.5 with SCD, a G43X with SCD (eventhough I routinely carried a P-365 I wanted a slightly bigger grip which was easier to grab/manipulate and no safety to disengage) both previously vetted, and a S&W 642 with CTC Laser grip. I had to purchase a LH holster for the Glocks but already had one for the 642. The 19.5 and 43X provided adequate ammo capacity (I had trained reloading support hand only but never carried a spare mag with either) and the 642 was for low threat environments when I wanted something smaller.

It worked out well and, God forbid, if I ever had to do something similar again I would likely make the same choices with the exception of the 642. I have since found the push-in cylinder release on Ruger revolvers easier to manipulate support hand only than either the S&W or the Colt style. I would probably purchase an LCR if I had to do it again.

Good Luck!

Ptero
04-25-2023, 06:58 AM
On my last deployment in Afghanistan, I broke my left wrist. Although the docs wanted to send me home, I managed to bully my way into staying, despite having a job that actually took me outside the wire. Anyway, I am right hand dominate, so the good news was that I could still use my M9 one handed and had the medics rig up my M4 so that I could use the broom handle vertical grip with my cast and set my sling to support the weight of the carbine.

The thing that made the whole situation tenable was the fact that I was intimately familiar with my weapons, so using them one handed wasn't too much of a stretch. The other thing that helped immensely was I had a set of crimson trace laser grips on the M9 and a PEQ-15 on my M4. This made a huge difference in indexing with only one hand, especially in awkward positions.

Bottom line is, I was using a system I had trained with for years and had the manual of arms ingrained into me at a subconscious level, so being limited to one hand use was not too difficult. I also feel that having a DA/SA pistol with manual safety definitely made one handed manipulation safer, but the reality is if I had had the same level of familiarity with another weapon, I would have been fine with that. I feel that switching to another platform to accommodate the situation isn't worth the trade off in loss of efficiency and familiarization. If you a carry gun of the week person, or switch weapons regularly, then YMMV, but FOR ME, learning to manipulate my M9 one handed was substantially easier than it would have been to learn a whole new manual of arms for a different weapon system.

41magfan
04-25-2023, 07:43 AM
If I was faced with only using a defensive handgun strong hand only this would be an easy choice; I'd want a single-action, short-trigger gun in 9mm. In all likelihood, my choice would be one of Wilson Combat's EDC/SF pistols in one of the smaller configurations.

Malamute
04-25-2023, 08:20 AM
Im a revolver guy for the most part, if I lost the auto pistol in some disaster Id not lose much sleep over it for the most part, they just dont play much part in my normal life, however...I went through this several years ago with shoulder surgery on my right (primary) shoulder. I tried various things before surgery to see what would work. My normal carry was a 640 in the R front pocket. If I tried to switch that to the left front pocket Id then have no pocket available for the basics like keys and such. Reloads were definitely not simple with a revolver. I went with the early 2nd gen g19 in a glock factory plastic holster (ambi). Id shot it a lot one handed with zero issues. I determined that if I had occasion to reload, dropping the mag, reholster, insert mag from glock plastic carrier carried behind the holster, cycle slide. I have no problem cycling it using the rear sight snagged on my belt.

I live pretty rural, around the yard and dog walking was the main use I have, with little town time.

I figured out I could actually reload mags one handed while sitting down by holding it between my knees and using the plastic factory mag loader widget. Not something youd want to do in a hurry but it can be done.

This was the answer for around the home place while in the brace.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-25-2023, 09:40 AM
I can only offer my experience after breaking my dominant wrist and being casted up to make the hand useless.

1. My guns were either a Glock 19 or 642.
2. The 642 was a pocket gun for dress circumstances and reloads are possible but you're probably screwed in real time.
3. I had taken a course for injured shooters and knew the drills.
4. EDC OWB on my nondominant side. I needed to easily draw and holster. No fussing with body posture, tight fits of IWB, AIWB (not in those days though but my thoughts now). An extra mag on the nondominant side. Don't rig up so you need two hands to manipulate clothes. Dress accordingly.
5. Reload by putting the slide locked gun in the holster, inserting mag, using slide release to complete.
6. To load, rack on the holster edge, practice this. Don't ride it. Make sure the rear sights have a shape that will catch.
7. Eye Dominance - a big nothing - move the gun over a tad to your dominant eye.

I shot decently with my off hand with what probably be called by some combat sufficiency (haha). My LFI, Stress Fire target was pretty good.

Good luck on recovery. You will have to do rehab stuff to get your dominant side's strength back.

PS - training on one handed injured shooter is a good idea (big insight). One of my first FOFs was outside in the dark. The opponent shot me dead center on my gun hand. The round was a paint one (Code Eagle) and red. For a second, I thought I was really damaged.

Jim Watson
04-25-2023, 12:00 PM
1. A gun with ample capacity and reliable one-handed function. Strange that should have to be a specific criterion, but it has been a long time since the pistol was considered a one handed weapon. My Plastic M&P has not been afflicted by SHO, WHO, or "limpwristing" failures.

2. A caddy.
If I can get the magazines in and out one-handed, I figure I can get a helper to load them for me so I can practice one handed shooting. If the disability is short term, I don't feel a need for a complete program of one handed use.

Changing magazines on a table is not much trouble. Off the belt, you are kind of stuck with the return to holster reload. An Idaho Reloader is pretty much a collector's item. I wonder if my local Kydex bender could make one.

Beat Trash
04-25-2023, 12:14 PM
In January of 2021, I shattered my right arm bone where it meats the wrist. Resulted in a plate and six screws needing to be installed in the wrist. This left me with only my left arm available (I’m right handed) for an extended period, as a LE supervisor.

I got a left hand holster for my issued S&W M&P9. Even though I was on light duty status, I wanted to be armed when in a police facility.

When off duty, I carried a Glock 19. I got a left hand IWB holster for the Glock.

These are the same guns I carried before and after the injury.

I figured that while down from being injured was a bad time to learn a new gun.

On a bright note, my weak hand only shooting improved over this time frame. Much more so than my ability to write and sign my name weak hand only did…

1More
04-25-2023, 07:24 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I was hopeful that someone had found a physics defying "shoot's so good with one hand it's magic" gun to beat all guns, but it seems like an illusion. PX4 Storm Tracker got the closest with his food for thought with respect to the rotating barrel of the PX4 contributing to one handed recoil control. I just need to find someone in Eastern NC who has one and is willing to meet at Flatwoods (DM me; I'll bring the ammo). It's ironic that a few mentioned seeing someone do well with the original horse auto (1911). It had crossed my mind that the shoot ability of that gun may trump it's disadvantages.
I'm proficient with manipulation and appropriate setup for one hand operation of a semi. I am fairly agnostic with triggers; my preference in this case is SA/DA, SAO w/manual safety, or striker+SCD. I'll do a shoot off, but I'll probably go with my mutt of a P07 for my general purpose gun. It seems to shoot as well as the other duty guns in my armory one handed (except for Shadow 2 and 1911), it's reliable, good mag capacity, and easy to manipulate (with an appropriate rear sight). For my smaller gun, my 365XL will do ok...I think my Boresight solutions grip with a Katana Magwell has found better purpose in a solo grip..

I've got one arm revolver reloads reasonably figured out. It definitely isn't quick, and a NY reload is clearly preferred to dumping cases if the combat buzzer is going off.
I've been trying to avoid turning this whole thing into 'buy a new gun', but I definitely think an LCR or baby Smith is in my future now....and/or a new big Smith ;)

SwampDweller
04-26-2023, 11:01 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I was hopeful that someone had found a physics defying "shoot's so good with one hand it's magic" gun to beat all guns, but it seems like an illusion. PX4 Storm Tracker got the closest with his food for thought with respect to the rotating barrel of the PX4 contributing to one handed recoil control. I just need to find someone in Eastern NC who has one and is willing to meet at Flatwoods (DM me; I'll bring the ammo). It's ironic that a few mentioned seeing someone do well with the original horse auto (1911). It had crossed my mind that the shoot ability of that gun may trump it's disadvantages.
I'm proficient with manipulation and appropriate setup for one hand operation of a semi. I am fairly agnostic with triggers; my preference in this case is SA/DA, SAO w/manual safety, or striker+SCD. I'll do a shoot off, but I'll probably go with my mutt of a P07 for my general purpose gun. It seems to shoot as well as the other duty guns in my armory one handed (except for Shadow 2 and 1911), it's reliable, good mag capacity, and easy to manipulate (with an appropriate rear sight). For my smaller gun, my 365XL will do ok...I think my Boresight solutions grip with a Katana Magwell has found better purpose in a solo grip..

I've got one arm revolver reloads reasonably figured out. It definitely isn't quick, and a NY reload is clearly preferred to dumping cases if the combat buzzer is going off.
I've been trying to avoid turning this whole thing into 'buy a new gun', but I definitely think an LCR or baby Smith is in my future now....and/or a new big Smith ;)

The 1911 definitely seems like a good contender for a one-hand auto. I would love to have one that I'd carry myself, it just seems like the only way to get one that's adequately reliable (by my standards, anyway), you either have to buy a base model $900-ish gun and spend at least twice as much on parts and work by the dwindling number of competent 1911 smiths left (and the time to have it all done), or you have to spend well over $3k for a custom/semi-custom one that may or may not be 100% reliable right out of the box (I'm thinking of the more frequent reports in recent times of Wilson Combats having to be sent back).

Maybe a USP9 Compact with a left hand safety, and just carry it single action?

1More
04-27-2023, 09:01 AM
The 1911 definitely seems like a good contender for a one-hand auto. I would love to have one that I'd carry myself, it just seems like the only way to get one that's adequately reliable (by my standards, anyway), you either have to buy a base model $900-ish gun and spend at least twice as much on parts and work by the dwindling number of competent 1911 smiths left (and the time to have it all done), or you have to spend well over $3k for a custom/semi-custom one that may or may not be 100% reliable right out of the box (I'm thinking of the more frequent reports in recent times of Wilson Combats having to be sent back).

Maybe a USP9 Compact with a left hand safety, and just carry it single action?

Regarding the 1911...you make good points. In my case, the mental exercise eventually leads to an attempt to source a Chambers Custom 38 SuperComp...and then I have to come back to reality. Though a Staccato CS and Wilson SF9 have crossed my mind as more reasonable considerations.

Regarding the USP...It crossed my mind as well. The USP points well for me in a one handed grip...my theory is the flat sided grip lines up better for my physiology on presentation. I had a USP40 for a few years (bought the first one I could find when they were released). Recently, I bought a USP45, primarily as a field gun; it reminded of the positives of the platform. USP9 Compact with hybrid Match/LEM or variant 1 (locked or decocked) would work fine for me, especially the ergos. Although it isn't comparatively great, I find the USP Double action shot, although 'relatively terrible', actually very shootable one handed. For a 'out of the box will probably work like a champ in all conditions' consideration, it's at reasonably competitive (though I always keep Todd Green in mind with his comments about manufacturers and problems).

1More
04-27-2023, 09:31 AM
Im a revolver guy for the most part, if I lost the auto pistol in some disaster Id not lose much sleep over it for the most part, they just dont play much part in my normal life, however...I went through this several years ago with shoulder surgery on my right (primary) shoulder. I tried various things before surgery to see what would work. My normal carry was a 640 in the R front pocket. If I tried to switch that to the left front pocket Id then have no pocket available for the basics like keys and such. Reloads were definitely not simple with a revolver. I went with the early 2nd gen g19 in a glock factory plastic holster (ambi). Id shot it a lot one handed with zero issues. I determined that if I had occasion to reload, dropping the mag, reholster, insert mag from glock plastic carrier carried behind the holster, cycle slide. I have no problem cycling it using the rear sight snagged on my belt.

I live pretty rural, around the yard and dog walking was the main use I have, with little town time.

I figured out I could actually reload mags one handed while sitting down by holding it between my knees and using the plastic factory mag loader widget. Not something youd want to do in a hurry but it can be done.

This was the answer for around the home place while in the brace.

I'm in acceptance that a J frame or LCR purchase is in my immediate future for simplicity's sake. For revolver reloads, I found that a hybrid of of firm one handed vertical case ejection combined with 'crook of the knee' (just like the no-holster method for one arms reloading an auto) works well, if slow. The behind the knee tuck solved the issue of locking the cylinder where access to the chambers was simple. Even some room to drive a speed loader. Strips require a little extra fiddling.
As far as loading cartridges into magazines without a helper, I'm right there with you. Sitting on a firm surface, I'm doing the same. Definitely easier with a duty CZ or Glock mag over a narrow neck 365 mag. This was one of the mind blowers when I realized that for all the training I've done, I never went through how I would refill my magazines themselves if I was short an arm for an extended period of time.
I love the brace holster; I will happily steal that.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-27-2023, 09:38 AM
I shoot a 1911 quite a bit and don't see it as superior to my Glock for a one handed gun. The motor memory safety off response is not ingrained in my off hand as it is in my dominant hand. I don't think the motor program will transfer that efficiently under stress. I see folks forget the safety too much in matches and esp. if the shooting sequence is not BEEP, DRAW, SHOOT. Change it up taking the gun from a box, draw while prone or sitting, screw ups increase - but this is anecdotal.

Malamute
04-27-2023, 11:12 AM
... For revolver reloads, I found that a hybrid of of firm one handed vertical case ejection combined with 'crook of the knee' (just like the no-holster method for one arms reloading an auto) works well, if slow. The behind the knee tuck solved the issue of locking the cylinder where access to the chambers was simple. Even some room to drive a speed loader. Strips require a little extra fiddling.

I messed around trying to see if reloading one handed left handed with a 2" revolver was practical, and the conclusion I came to was I couldnt see the point when I already had a gun that held 15 shots and was relatively simple operate left handed and to reload if need be with another 15.

Longer revolvers can be holstered or stuck in the belt with cylinder out to give access to reload, but the 2" was what id most likely carry, but as mentioned the obvious and simplest solution for me was the plastic gun.

The cheapo plastic glock factory holsters are a useful item for the odd left handed need. I already had one, but the $15 or whatever they cost was also the simple answer if I needed one and was still potentially useful right handed after the need for left handed was over.

camsdaddy
04-27-2023, 11:17 AM
What a timely thread. Yesterday I stabbed my dominant palm with a screwdriver. Today I find myself thinking about this in a different light. While I can use both hands I found the butt of my 26 hits right on the wound. I also find that my grip is compromised. I’m carrying my 19. A full grip extends a little grace on a weak grip shooting and easier to draw. I feel I’m still better with my strong hand than weak hand shooting. That said I am now encouraged to shoot more WHO just in case I do something else dumb.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-27-2023, 11:22 AM
IIRC, when I was one handed, I used the Glock factory holster with my other hand. It worked just fine. Plus, the Glock mag holder.

ObiWan
04-27-2023, 12:23 PM
I had a VERY similar situation to the thread creator. I had surgery in my dominant shoulder and couldn't use that side for anything for about 5 months until the physical therapy took hold. I defaulted to a Jframe carried IAWB as my EDC gun. I wasn't too concerned about reloads. I just wanted immediate response ability. I have other similar sized guns but I defaulted to the Jframe that I've had for decades. I've tried AIWB with compact sized guns and didn't like at all. To me very uncomfortable. If I didn't use the Jframe I would have used other PPK sized guns. OK comfort AIWB and similar round count and easier reload ability. That was a few years ago. Pre P365 era. My normal house guns remained for that purpose with my normal EDC gun added to that group.

Evil_Ed
04-27-2023, 02:51 PM
One of the smaller frame Berettas with a tip-up barrel? 32ACP or 22LR, or 25ACP...low recoil, and since you're not HALO jumping into Fallujah and fighting insurgents, it should be sufficient for most "Ah, crap, I'm in a bad spot and need to leave now" situations. You should be able to drop the mag one-handed on them and with the tip up barrel, you don't need to rack the action.

Tisas I think is coming out with a 380 version of this, too... probably not optimal, but really what is.

1More
04-27-2023, 03:55 PM
One of the smaller frame Berettas with a tip-up barrel? 32ACP or 22LR, or 25ACP...low recoil, and since you're not HALO jumping into Fallujah and fighting insurgents, it should be sufficient for most "Ah, crap, I'm in a bad spot and need to leave now" situations. You should be able to drop the mag one-handed on them and with the tip up barrel, you don't need to rack the action.

Tisas I think is coming out with a 380 version of this, too... probably not optimal, but really what is.

Please don't send me back down the 81BB / 80x rabbithole ;) . I had considered the Tomcat in 32, but two things held me off. One, I don't have any experience with them, but have heard enough reliability concerns to, on re-consideration, leave them in the 'lucky rabbit's foot' category. Second, I don't want to torture myself with that Tomcat front sight. Tip up is a neat feature, but if I had one, I'd just use the rear sight to rack the slide one handed. The 81BB would be great as an adult size 32...but I worry about playing the used lottery and would want to get that front sight swapped out, which is a nut roll. I briefly considered a 1903 in 32 acp. The 80x looks like it will be very nice but I wonder how it is being a blowback 380 versus a 9mm 92X Centurion...maybe if I could get a 81BB and swap barrels and magazines...??!
Funny you mention this...when it comes to autos, since I started down this road, I've reached into the back corner of my gun safe and grabbed my 938 and pocket holster. This was a good setup; even better with the 238 I had previously. The 238 has been sold for a while; probably a mistake. The size, weight, and sights made it a great shooter. Controllable, fast, accurate, and reliable. My 938 has been a good gun as well; it's just a good bit heavier than the 238 and is more borderline for pocket carry. The MS was not a problem; it was quick and consistent in use. The 938 shoots very well, surprisingly quick in fast shooting and accurate, but I have to watch my grip or the slide will ginsu the base knuckle of my thumb (not a problem with the thinner slide of the 380. I've considered a 365-380, but haven't been compelled to move on it since it's still a 365 size gun. I should look at JCN's 365-380 thread again.
"probably not optimal, but really what is?" - Thanks, now I have the name for my autobiography :cool:

Willard
04-27-2023, 06:40 PM
I defaulted to a Jframe carried IAWB as my EDC gun. I wasn't too concerned about reloads. I just wanted immediate response ability.

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries thus far (backed out on a 4th). I've had both arms out of commission for somewhat extended periods. My default was Kramer pocket holster and a DSG AIWB with various J-frames (442/642/36/49).

Stephanie B
04-27-2023, 06:55 PM
If you could only use 1 arm.......What would you use for a small carry gun and what would you use for a duty / home defense gun?

I've got a continuously degrading shoulder on my weak hand side and have surgery in my near future. As a result, I'm looking at being restricted to using one arm only, at least for 5 to 10 weeks, and realized I need to start considering what I will do if I am restricted to one arm for pistol fighting (I already have to swim 'one arm only' due to range of motion problems). The challenge here is to look at it not as a training drill or a strong/weak hand only match stage, but as a constant fact of life.
I'm looking at this from a manual of arms perspective and a shoot ability perspective. Manual of arms...meaning being able to work without the gun upping the odds of an ND drawing and reholstering...with only one arm. Shootability...basically looking for a gun that offers the least amount of static to the user when it isn't locked down in a two handed grip (and hopefully something good for more than ENT/ 'get off me' distance. For sake of discussion, I'm referring to compact/duty size guns as one category (G19/P07+ size) and small carry guns as the other (365XL / LCR size guns). I've done a search, and while good, most of what I found centered around instruction for a guy who lost part of his arm below the elbow. I'm good on the basics of one arm manipulation of a semi automatic pistol, and am starting to work through the considerations for a revolver. I've got my own thoughts on this subject, but am interested in what the collective forum's experience has to offer.

As far as the surgery; I am still hoping my surgeon can go with a stemless replacement. I'll find out this week. I am not looking forward to this if a reverse replacement creeps back into the picture.

...it all started when I was 19 and a fellow jumper entered me into an arm wrestling match with a C-130; 34 years later and I'm starting to feel it;)

If I remember correctly, Tamara has BT,DT; she may have some thought on the topic.

Exiledviking
04-27-2023, 09:54 PM
And Mas wrote a good article about it. https://www.thearmorylife.com/ayoob-do-this-to-stress-test-your-gunfight-survival-skills/

Rex G
04-28-2023, 08:00 AM
With several issues affecting my right shoulder, arm, wrist, and hand, I have given much thought to having to live left-hand-only, after a surgery. The short, easy answer is revolving pistols, with several lefty holsters. One “reloads” by pulling secondary/tertiary weapons. Another short, easy answer is a Glock G17, because it is very unlikely to malfunction, and, in a civilian defensive scenario, is unlikely to run out of ammo.

One can substitute several other autoloading pistols, for the above-mentioned Glock G17. I have several of them, one of which served as one of my police duty pistols, nd, with all of that training resulting in unconscious competence, at an adequate level of perfromance, Imam not going to squander that, and try to start over, this late in my life.

Glocks, Gen4 and later, seem relatively easy for my personal, individual hands to run one-handed-only. Others’ hands will vary. Beware of handSguns, that require two hands just to grip firmly. Many double-column-mag pistols are handSguns, in my hands, because I do not have size L fingers and thumbs, even if I do have to buy size L gloves, to accommodate my long palms.

Substantial belts, and shoes with prominent edges on tough soles, provide places to brace the rear sight, to enable running a slide one-handed. The substantial belt also protects on’s skin, by providing an anvil upon which to strike the bottom of a mag, for the ‘tap” part of a tap-rack.

Bigger pistols have a better margin of reliability, when fired one-handed. Bigger pistols require more-full-cut cover garments.

Time is up, for typing right now. I hope that some of this may be helpful.

Edited to add: Rear sights that facilitate one-handed running of the slide are advisable.

1More
04-28-2023, 08:05 AM
And Mas wrote a good article about it. https://www.thearmorylife.com/ayoob-do-this-to-stress-test-your-gunfight-survival-skills/

Good share; hadn't read that one before. He has a lot of value in that article. As a young man in the late 80's / early '90s, my unit didn't draw on Ayoob per se, but we had this philosophy in our training. We had a decent depth of training experience for what was cutting edge then and worked with mod'd 1911s and issue M9s for pistol work. Although the principles are still sound, many of the concepts and TTP's we used have changed over time; interestingly, the one hand only manipulation techniques for keeping your gun in the fight without shooting a friendly while fumbling a reload are still relevant.

Notable that the 1911 and a revolver pop up (of course that was the times) in the article. My main intent in starting this thread was to look for any uniquely and exceptionably capable hardware when it came to shooting one handed only. The training considerations and concepts were in my wheel house already. The exception was that in the past I was always training for an emergency (how are you going to finish the fight / get through 2 weeks without full use of one arm) or I was training SHO/WHO to improve overall.

Now...I'm thinking long term 'stuck with one side only'. Add to that the fact that, 20 years ago, I could physically bull through problems (when I couldn't work smarter, I could definitely work harder). I could work out harder and use more muscle consistently to address little problems and supplement my solution set for SHO/WHO shooting. Flexibility and dexterity were still in the 'pros' column; all the odd contortions didn't feel like a run through a pretzel twister. My shoulder has been going down hill for a while. A few years ago my isosceles turned into something that looked like a bull stepped on the triangle dinner bell in order to favor getting the best out of an arm that didn't want to raise at the shoulder. There has been no 'c' clamp on a rifle for a while shooting strong side...I've had to transition to shoot southpaw for unsupported positions if I want speed in presentation and transition.

Chuck Whitlock
04-30-2023, 10:36 AM
A Commander-length 1911 ..... in 9mm would be pretty tough to beat in this scenario.

If limited to my right (dominant) hand, I could likely do well using my SA Champion, or BHP, or P250c, all with the spare mag pouches moved to behind the holster. If I wanted a smaller footprint, my Kahr K9.

If limited to my using my left (non-dominant) hand, I could use the BHP, but either the P250c or K9 (I already have a lefty IWB3 for it) would get the nod. My S&W M37 would ride in whichever front pocket was usable. If reduced to the K9, I might also try to add my spurless DAO SP101 AIWB if I could dress sloppily enough.

Being able to button/zip up your trousers and secure a belt one-handed is probably a whole different kettle of fish, too.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-30-2023, 10:59 AM
As a diversion, personal hygiene with your nondominant hand is a learning experience. My wife and I have discussed the horror if I had broken both wrists and she would have had to help. OMG!!

I'm will opine, again, against nondominant carry guns with manual safeties. You don't need to learn more steps in the motor program when dealing with a new draw and a hand that hasn't developed the fine motor skills. Look at your handwriting. If a gun is safe and a good holster - like a Glock or Glockish - you are probably only drawing the gun quickly in extremis and you don't need to fool around. Your effective accuracy and split times will be just fine in the real world compared to a gamer-ish gun.

To the discussion - how did you deal with the now super duper RDS, when drawing from nondominant side? I found in the day, with irons, I just shifted the gun a tad and it was not a big deal to get to my left eye (LH here).

Still have my crutches in the basement from the ankle damage. Got a good cane also. Luckily, that's all healed.

Malamute
04-30-2023, 12:28 PM
...Being able to button/zip up your trousers and secure a belt one-handed is probably a whole different kettle of fish, too.

As a diversion, personal hygiene with your nondominant hand is a learning experience...

I used to wear a Civil War period type US buckle, the long hook on the back definitely required two able hands. I still have trouble with it years later and have had to mostly give it up. A regular buckle has worked out OK, with enough tail length to feed it through and pull it snug.

The personal hygiene with the wrong hand is certainly a learning experience. And plan ahead with a bit more lead time instead of waiting til the last minute to pee, or you may be disappointed with the experience.

Driving without the right hand is interesting, from the key, shifting, running the radio and climate controls....

BN
04-30-2023, 05:05 PM
I wonder if you will still have the use of your fingers.

Several years ago, I cut my strong hand trigger finger bad enough to need stitches and I wore a plastic shield on it.

I remembered Mas's article. I borrowed my wife's left handed holster and shot a few pistol matches with a 9mm 1911. I had the use of some of my fingers, so reloads were a little awkward but possible.

Some time afterwards I attended one of Mas's seminars and told him about it. Because I was using my wife's gear, he asked me if that made me a "Ballistics Transvestite"? :)