PDA

View Full Version : been away from 9mm auto for a long time, but...

tmanwell
04-14-2023, 07:43 AM
Gonna be 60 in a few weeks, still trying to figure out how THAT happened!
Cue the Grandpa Simpson voice....
Back in the day, like 25yrs ago, I was shopping for a 9mm. It was down to the Glock 17 and the Baretta 92. I went with the Baretta 92 for a few reasons, but a **BIGGIE was the difference in the trigger pull. I'm prob not using the right terminology, but the Baretta had that classic trigger pull that my finger seemed to be looking for; I could feel it right up tight against the spring and know *precisely when it was going to break, which led to greater accuracy. In contrast, the Glock seemed to have so much 'creep,' that when the damn thing fired, it was like SURPRISE!!! I'm sure had I gone with the Glock, with time/practice, all would've been well....but I went with the Baretta.
Few years later hard times hit and I had to let some things go. :-(
Now, in my 'senior years' I'm thinking of buying a 9mm again. Only thing is, there's about 50million new options/variants. WOW. I don't even know where to start.
Which is the point of this rambling post.
Before I even walk into my local retailer and get the opinion of one person behind the counter, I wanted to post here.
In thinking about a 9mm *now (vs 25yrs ago), some of the requirements are the same. I would like mag capacity at over 10. I would like **stellar track record for reliability; I would like total easy-peasy field stripping; I would like it NOT to co$t a fortune. $800 for a gun is beyond my reach. Last....we come back to that trigger pull issue. I have a feeling it could still be a concern. Maybe that argues against Glock still. But I don't know enough about the Sigs, Walthers, S&Ws etc. out there [the 50 million] to know which ones are "Glock-esque" vs which ones aren't.
Ok, so much for the ramble. I'll shut up now and listen.
Thanks!
Tim

WobblyPossum
04-14-2023, 07:49 AM
Welcome to the forum. A few questions that might help people make good recommendations. What is your experience level with handguns? What is the intended purpose of the gun (home defense, concealed carry, competition, plinking)? Do you have a range near you that rents guns where you can try a few different ones? Do any of your friends have any of the guns you’re considering so you could try theirs out? How much money are you comfortable spending?

vcdgrips
04-14-2023, 08:04 AM
Happy Friday:

1. I am way down the Glock rabbit hole and have been since Law School in 1991.
2. I have stayed there given that is what the bulk of my client agencies shoot and I have armorer support for the same.
3. Just recently recommitted with RDS on a G17 and a G22 (already owned Gen 3s)

Having said all of that, IMHO, a Gen 5 Glock seems like the easy button with a SW M&P 2.0 worth a look as well. Triggers have never been better from the factory though I acknowledge it is still a Glock. Accuracy out of the box is measurably better for many shooters relative to previous generations.

The OEM/Aftermarket support for the Glock is unparalleled.

The ergonomics of the M&P, availability of a thumb safety and metal magazines are also drivers from some folks. The OEM/Aftermarket support is solid though not as robust as that for Glock. Apex makes duty/self defense safe triggers that are excellent as well.

Finally, if you liked the Beretta back in the day and you are going to put the time into managing two distinct trigger pulls as well as the decocker/safety- go for it. I would humbly submit the platform, with its 2 distinct trigger pulls and decocker/safety, is a harder pistol to shot well a pistol with a single trigger pull, but it is certainly doable.

Finally, in order to future proof you purchase I would look long and hard at one that can mount an RDS and perhaps a light as well without having to be milled to do so.

Be safe and well.

PS-Kudos for WP framing the issues in his posting above!!!

Duelist
04-14-2023, 08:25 AM
1 - Pick one. It doesn’t matter.

2 - get a quality holster or three.

3 - shoot it, get trained and shoot it some more.

There’s a Beretta APX in the classifieds here that I keep looking at and thinking, “oh, that’s such a deal. I liked the one I shot - I should get it for a spare.” Then I slap myself and say I should really be worried about other things.

So if money is an issue but you want a quality gun, go to the firearms classifieds here and buy the Beretta APX with 5 magazines that’s so cheap, a cheap jerk like me keeps having to talk himself out of calling the guy and buying it.

CalAlumnus
04-14-2023, 08:44 AM
I actually think the decision is largely where you left it years ago: Glock or a Beretta 92.

There are many fine firearms available, but in my view for a standard do-it-all pistol, those are the go-to options. You probably want either a Glock 19 or a Beretta 92x Centurion G. It really comes down to if you want a single consistent trigger pull, or a DA/SA system.

Personally, I’d go with Glock (and I have). They’re no worse than a B+ in every category, and an A+ in two that matter a lot: Reliability and aftermarket support (most importantly, holsters and sights).

A Glock 19 MOS with a Holosun SCS is what I’d buy. Take a training class to learn how to operate the trigger, and practice dry fire a lot. You can definitely learn it… I find with the Glock, there is lots of loose take up, followed by two short bumps, and then the break. If working on a precision shot, I can prep past those two bumps and have a very short break. I can also pull straight through at speed—it’s about isolating the motion of your index finger from the rest of your hand.

The M&P M2.0, Walther PDP, H&K VP9, H&K P30, Sig P320, Sig P365, Sig P226, and so on are all fine pistols, but they all have various downsides.

Here’s 20 pages of people talking (for the most part) about trying other guns, and ultimately returning to Glock: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?54870-I-love-Glocks%85-or-what%92s-old-is-new-again

JCN
04-14-2023, 09:32 AM
CZ75B or P01
Used P229
Glock with fully tensioned trigger (Timney or Glock performance trigger).

Jim Watson
04-14-2023, 09:59 AM
My first thought was, you had and liked a Beretta, so get another Beretta.
But if $800 is too much, Bud's price for a 92FS is $699 to which you would have to add the local dealer's registration fee.

If you were local I would sell you my Glock and we would both be better off.

The S&W Plastic M&P is much more to my liking, you can't have mine.

In the past 25 years, there have been a lot of 9mms introduced, you can have a lot of fun shopping.

coN
04-14-2023, 10:08 AM
Gen 5 Glock is the easy answer if you dont plan to modify anything internally. Out of the box, it offers a "jack of all trades, master of none" experience. It just works and its reliable.

The M&P 2.0 is my other answer as it can surpass the Glock and punch way above its weight, *BUT* you have to decide if that juice is worth the squeeze. (About an additional $400 for Apex FSS kit and barrel) Out the box, it offers a "meh" experience in 9mm outside of superior ergos and grip stippling.

Moped
04-14-2023, 10:25 AM
Go to a range and rent some 9mms and try them out. See what you like. If Berettas are what you like, you can still pick one up within your price range, especially used.

fatdog
04-14-2023, 10:36 AM
As I think Dagaboy once said, we are now in gold age of reliable handguns. There are at least a half dozen suitable tribes you could dive into and get reliable, suitably accurate 9mm handguns what have good support for things like holsters, etc.

Everybody here has one or two or maybe three brands/models they prefer for one reason or another, and their reasons are certainly worth considering. End of the day you have far more good options than the last time you waded in.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2023, 10:36 AM
Welcome to Pistol-Forum! You're going to get a lot of opinions, and here's mine:

When people ask me what gun to buy, and it's their only handgun, my answer is different than for someone who will have a range of guns for different purposes. Also: if you are going to do Bullseye type shooting, my answer doesn't apply.

Nearly everyone can learn to shoot a Glock 19 or 17 reasonably well. Out of the box, add aftermarket sights or a red dot and a rubber grip decal and you've got the industry standard handgun. It's reliable, simple, safe, and there is a massive amount of support for it with holsters, parts, etc.

I would avoid a Timney trigger because it defeats a key design feature of the Glock trigger. Some would go as far as to say they are unsafe (https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/a-must-watch-video-for-those-considering-the-timney-trigger.1900692/).

But what about the awful Glock trigger feel, you ask? Get over it. Within reason, trigger weight and feel don't matter as much as many people think.

Back in the day, like 25yrs ago, I was shopping for a 9mm. It was down to the Glock 17 and the Baretta 92. I went with the Baretta 92 for a few reasons, but a **BIGGIE was the difference in the trigger pull. I'm prob not using the right terminology, but the Baretta had that classic trigger pull that my finger seemed to be looking for; I could feel it right up tight against the spring and know *precisely when it was going to break, which led to greater accuracy. In contrast, the Glock seemed to have so much 'creep,' that when the damn thing fired, it was like SURPRISE!!! I'm sure had I gone with the Glock, with time/practice, all would've been well....but I went with the Baretta.
Now, in my 'senior years' I'm thinking of buying a 9mm again. Only thing is, there's about 50million new options/variants. WOW. I don't even know where to start.
Before I even walk into my local retailer and get the opinion of one person behind the counter, I wanted to post here.
In thinking about a 9mm *now (vs 25yrs ago), some of the requirements are the same. I would like mag capacity at over 10. I would like **stellar track record for reliability; I would like total easy-peasy field stripping; I would like it NOT to co$t a fortune. $800 for a gun is beyond my reach. Last....we come back to that trigger pull issue. I have a feeling it could still be a concern. Maybe that argues against Glock still. But I don't know enough about the Sigs, Walthers, S&Ws etc. out there [the 50 million] to know which ones are "Glock-esque" vs which ones aren't.
Thanks!
Tim

gato naranja
04-14-2023, 10:44 AM
Thanks!
Tim

I have some years on you. You are just getting started yelling at clouds and not knowing what "it" is.

As time goes by the fine and gross motor skills certainly don't improve, nor does bone density; joints start to go, muscle tone declines and all sorts of physical stuff goes to hell. Vision is usually impaired to some degree. Reaction times may be longer, and once-intuitive things can become much less so. To be blunt, it isn't just the pistol market that changes in 25 - or however many - years.

Personally, I no longer wanted to carry a striker-fired pistol, nor one without a manual safety. That being said, I also didn't want one with a manual of arms - or a field stripping procedure - that was too convoluted. I didn't want one that recoiled past my level of controllability. Etc, etc. One might say I edged into "old man's guns," though while I still like a 9mm 1911 as a range toy, the old man in me prefers a manual decocker on a social semiauto.

So at this point, I am focused on trad DA/SA semiautos and DA revolvers. But that's me.

I actually think the decision is largely where you left it years ago: Glock or a Beretta 92.

There is more truth in that than a lot of people will want to admit.

RJ
04-14-2023, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the forum. A few questions that might help people make good recommendations. What is your experience level with handguns? What is the intended purpose of the gun (home defense, concealed carry, competition, plinking)? Do you have a range near you that rents guns where you can try a few different ones? Do any of your friends have any of the guns you’re considering so you could try theirs out? How much money are you comfortable spending?

These are the right questions.

Absent more info, the answer is either a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS (large/med hands) or a P365XL (med/small hands).

Welcome aboard.

JAH 3rd
04-14-2023, 11:49 AM
One option is to buy used. But compare the used price to the same pistol that is new. Sometimes the price difference isn't that huge, so you may could swing purchasing the new firearm. Just shop and compare.

Another option is layaway. I've used that over the years. A firearm pops up at the time you are short on cash. If layaway is available think about that option.

Seriously think about a pistol with the slide already cut for MOS. Even if don't think you will ever need an MOS cut, one day you may. It is probably cheaper to already have that slide cut than to send the slide off to have it done, then paying postage both ways.

Glock is the default option due to the dependability of the platform. I would suggest a 17 or 19 gen 5 due to the improvements of the pistol over previous generations. But don't discount a gen 3 19 or 17 as they are cheaper than the gen 5. Aftermarket support is fantastic with both generations.

You'll just have to see what's in your price range and decide. Sounds easy, but making a final choice can have you second guessing yourself. Just see which platform checks the most boxes for you. And let us know what you decide!

And if you do choose Glock, I do like the gen 5 grip surface which is more "grippy" than the gen 3 which feels slicker to me.

tmanwell
04-14-2023, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate all of your responses.
I have dicovered there's a range nearby with a great assortment of 9mm pistols to choose from, so that's obviously top priority.
Thanks again.
Tim

WobblyPossum
04-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Let us know what handguns you try out and what you think of them.

TicTacticalTimmy
04-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Trying out as many different options as possible is definitely the way to go.

Based on your first post my suggestion would be a Beretta 92X, they are $700 or a bit less.

CalAlumnus
04-15-2023, 09:14 AM
I will say… Be skeptical of how guns “feel in the hand” at a gun counter. Like, be aware of it, and recognize that it might be better, but also recognize that feeling good in the hand at the counter is not the same as an effective design for shooting.

I’ll let my bias show again, but I’ve found that the flat front and back straps of the Glock seem to dissipate felt recoil more effectively, while allowing me to get a better grip. I’ve also found that the more aggressive grip angle encourages a more aggressive forward cant to my hands, which allows me to control recoil more effectively. Both of these make the gun “less ergonomic” for casual handling.

Something like the Walther PPQ, which I’ve owned previously, felt better in the hand, but was not as effective (for me) for shooting. Now, don’t get me wrong—plenty of people shoot Walther pistols at a very high level. My only point is that handling at a gun counter may be a little deceptive.

maximus83
04-15-2023, 12:55 PM
Welcome to Pistol-Forum! You're going to get a lot of opinions, and here's mine:

When people ask me what gun to buy, and it's their only handgun, my answer is different than for someone who will have a range of guns for different purposes. Also: if you are going to do Bullseye type shooting, my answer doesn't apply.

Nearly everyone can learn to shoot a Glock 19 or 17 reasonably well. Out of the box, add aftermarket sights or a red dot and a rubber grip decal and you've got the industry standard handgun. It's reliable, simple, safe, and there is a massive amount of support for it with holsters, parts, etc.

I would avoid a Timney trigger because it defeats a key design feature of the Glock trigger. Some would go as far as to say they are unsafe (https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/a-must-watch-video-for-those-considering-the-timney-trigger.1900692/).

But what about the awful Glock trigger feel, you ask? Get over it. Within reason, trigger weight and feel don't matter as much as many people think.

Used to hate Glocks and it was frustrating to read advice like this.

But...I realized after lots of trial and error that it's correct, more people should consider it. I wish I had, sooner. It would've saved a lot of money/hassle/time that could have been spent on training and shooting (versus messing with diff pistol platforms, buying, selling, customizing, re-learning, etc).

One other thing I've noticed about some folks considering a Glock, who then move on and say they can't shoot it well. Don't give up too quickly...I had to shoot with my G19.5 for a while before I figured out how to improve my grip, get a consistent index, and a better trigger press. Folks can definitely learn to shoot a G19 as well or better than most striker-fired competitors, but sometimes people just shoot 25 or 50 rounds through them, decide they don't like them because of the 'grip angle' or the trigger, and walk away before they've actually learned how to shoot it well.

CraigS
04-15-2023, 01:37 PM
Where do you live? The rentals at the range are definitely a great resource. But they do cost some to try. And usually they require you to buy their ammo at not so great prices. So I ask where do you live because I, and probably most on the forum, would be glad to work out a date and place to meet and try a few of our pistols. Wife and I are 92 fans for sure but she carries a G19 and I carry an M&P compact. Also trying some of our 92s will let you feel what a few simple parts can do to make that transition from the first long heavier DA shot to the rest a lot easier.

Kyle Reese
04-15-2023, 05:05 PM
Welcome aboard!

Easy answer would be any of the following;

GLOCK 47 MOS (https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g47-mos)

GLOCK 17 Gen 5 MOS

GLOCK 45 MOS

Each feature 17 round capacity and are optics ready out of the box, should you opt to go that route.

WobblyPossum
04-15-2023, 05:26 PM
Also, do you happen to fall into any of the categories that generally get access to discount programs such as Glock Blue Label: retired military or law enforcement, other first responder, prosecutor, security guard, military veteran, etc? If so you’d likely be able to get a decent firearm for WAY below $800.

CalAlumnus
04-15-2023, 08:25 PM
Welcome aboard!

Easy answer would be any of the following;

GLOCK 47 MOS (https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g47-mos)

GLOCK 17 Gen 5 MOS

GLOCK 45 MOS

Each feature 17 round capacity and are optics ready out of the box, should you opt to go that route.

Of those three, the right option is Glock 47, because let’s be real, he’ll end up with a Glock 19 at some point anyway. With that combo he can create a Glock 45 and a Glock 19L. Buy 2 guns, get 2 free!

tmanwell
04-16-2023, 10:17 AM
Also, do you happen to fall into any of the categories that generally get access to discount programs such as Glock Blue Label: retired military or law enforcement, other first responder, prosecutor, security guard, military veteran, etc? If so you’d likely be able to get a decent firearm for WAY below $800.

Hmmmm, I *am a vet. Guess I never even thought about that! (USAF, 1983-1987).

tmanwell
04-16-2023, 10:30 AM
So, I'll open myself up to ridicule now...
In visiting around at some local stores, and also doing lots of online research, and doing some deep thought about my shooting preferences and what I liked in former days, I'm **leaning toward the decision that what I want is a DA/SA style, with decocker. I know, it's like saying I really prefer those awesome old Model T Fords, etc. Sorry, it is what it is. With that in mind, and with limited budget dollar$, I've begun looking into the Taurus TH 9 full size.

Duelist
04-16-2023, 10:33 AM
So, I'll open myself up to ridicule now...
In visiting around at some local stores, and also doing lots of online research, and doing some deep thought about my shooting preferences and what I liked in former days, I'm **leaning toward the decision that what I want is a DA/SA style, with decocker. I know, it's like saying I really prefer those awesome old Model T Fords, etc. Sorry, it is what it is. With that in mind, and with limited budget dollar$, I've begun looking into the Taurus TH 9 full size.

Find a used Beretta 92, or a Beretta Storm.

WobblyPossum
04-16-2023, 11:20 AM
Hmmmm, I *am a vet. Guess I never even thought about that! (USAF, 1983-1987).

You can get a Glock for $400 with a copy of your DD-214.

If you’re dead set on a DA/SA hammer fired gun, I second the recommendation for a used Beretta 92 or PX4 or a used HK USP or P30.

vcdgrips
04-16-2023, 11:20 AM
1. You come on a public forum and ask for guidance. You get a coalescence of answers based on hundreds of years of experience and hundreds of thousands of rounds fired.
2. You state your budget is 800.00 max.(I apologize, I mis read.)
3. You state familiarity w Glock and Beretta.

Now you post up —-interested in a 300.00 flavor of the month Taurus.

A. if this a plinker buy what you want
B. If your budget is really only 300ish, not the 800 as claimed, buy a police trade in Glock or S&W. (My mistake 800 is not the budget)
C. If your budget is really NOT 800, then new Berettas (with your desired da/sa) abound for 650ish max with a sharp pencil. Used for even less (edited as per grateful correction by WP)

If you intend this pistol to be a life saving tool for you and yours-do not knowingly buy a decidedly inferior product.

Would you buy the cheapest rope if you were climbing Mt. Everest?

Would you put the cheapest tires on your car if you were driving cross country Fla to Ca over the 4th of July.

I fully acknowledge-The odds are the Taurus will be just fine, however, the stakes if it is not, will far exceed the money you “saved.” (Edited amount saved our based on my mistake re 800 being the budget.)

Edited to add-
Bottom line if 300 is the budget re a new Taurus-I emphatically vote used GLOCK/SW otherwise stretch into a used da/sa Beretta.

WobblyPossum
04-16-2023, 11:26 AM
1. You come on a public forum and ask for guidance. You get a coalescence of answers based on hundreds of years of experience and hundreds of thousands of rounds fired.
2. You state your budget is 800.00 max.

B. If your budget is really only 300ish, not the 800 as claimed, buy a police trade in Glock or S&W.
C. If your budget is really 800, then new Berettas (with your desired da/sa) abound for 650ish max with a sharp pencil.

If you intend this pistol to be a life saving tool for you and yours-do not knowingly buy a decidedly inferior product.

Would you put the cheapest tires on your car if you were driving cross country Fla to Ca over the 4th of July.

I fully acknowledge-The odds are the Taurus will be just fine, however, the stakes if it is not, will far exceed the 500.00 you “saved.”

In the OP’s defense, he never stated what his budge was, only that an $800 gun was beyond his reach. It’s why I asked how much he was comfortable spending in my first response. If he gave us his budget, we’d be able to make more appropriate recommendations.

TicTacticalTimmy
04-16-2023, 12:28 PM
I think the highest value DA/SA handgun is the CZ P07, or the full size P09 if concealed carry is not important. They are dead reliable, good aftermarket, and super easy to detail strip and reassemble once you know how. They can be found for $500 and are great with <$50 in upgrades.

I don't know anything about the Taurus but I really think that $200 is a small price to pay for what is surely a big jump in build quality and the assurance of reliability, not to mention a better aftermarket.

The beretta PX4 has a $75 rebate right now and with that is similarly priced to the CZ, also a great choice.

CalAlumnus
04-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Buy once, cry once: https://www.kygunco.com/product/beretta-j92qr921g70-92x-rdo-gr-compact-9mm-4.3-black-18rd-decocker

Just in case you don’t know…Taurus doesn’t have an especially good reputation. Further, gun shop salespeople are often encouraged to promote guns from particular brands, so if they suggested it, be aware that they may have had a financial motivation.

If price is really an overriding consideration, and you want a polymer frame DA/SA, I’d feel better about either of these than a Taurus:
https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/sig-sauer-sp2022-full-size-singledouble-9mm-luger-3.9-151-black-polymer-grip-black-nitride-stainless-steel
https://grabagun.com/cz-p-07-9mm-15rd-blk-poly.html

No.6
04-16-2023, 03:10 PM
The beretta PX4 has a $75 rebate right now and with that is similarly priced to the CZ, also a great choice.

The PX4 has the same trigger feel as the 92 with the advantage of price and (in compact or full) that rotating barrel to further dampen recoil and, although not tiny like the micro-compacts, a more carriable item overall than a 92.

Joe in PNG
04-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Another vote for Beretta 92 here. It's a long running, long vetted, well supported platform known for reliability. It's a fairly simple platform to work on.
Plus, accessories, mags and parts are common and inexpensive.

A good look around your local gun shops might yield a used one in the $400-500 range.

Sig_Fiend
04-16-2023, 09:56 PM
Another vote for a used Beretta 92. It's something you know, and a perfectly capable gun. They're fantastic guns. Well-made, easy to work on, cheap and plentiful parts and magazines. They can be found used for under $600 pretty regularly. Around that price range, it'll likely be a 92FS or M9 model, which will do most everything you might need. If you might be carrying this gun, there is the option of a 92 Compact or 92X Compact. You can find those used as well, though they'll likely be closer to $650-700.

Also, in my opinion, this past few years and the next few are the consumer market's golden age for the Beretta 92 series. The M17/M18 having superseded them with the U.S. military. Also, Beretta seems to be continuing to release different variants for at least another few years (I'm guessing the days are numbered). The supply of those guns and parts for them is probably about as plentiful as it will ever be. Give it 5 years, and people will be wishing they bought more of them before they appreciated in value.

By the time people realize that ship has sailed, personally, I hope to be at least a few hundred mags and a half dozen (let's be honest, at least a dozen!) or more 92's deep, enough to last the rest of the century. ;)

TicTacticalTimmy
04-16-2023, 11:45 PM
The PX4 has the same trigger feel as the 92 with the advantage of price and (in compact or full) that rotating barrel to further dampen recoil and, although not tiny like the micro-compacts, a more carriable item overall than a 92.

I've been switching between a full size 92 and PX4 for about 90% of my carry the last few months, both with the LTT RDO package. I actually have not found the differences in carry-ability or concealability to be significant, ymmv of course.

tmanwell
04-17-2023, 06:14 AM
2. You state your budget is 800.00 max.(I apologize, I mis read.)

B. If your budget is really only 300ish, not the 800 as claimed, buy a police trade in Glock or S&W. (My mistake 800 is not the budget)
C. If your budget is really NOT 800, then new Berettas (with your desired da/sa) abound for 650ish max with a sharp pencil. Used for even less (edited as per grateful correction by WP)

I fully acknowledge-The odds are the Taurus will be just fine, however, the stakes if it is not, will far exceed the money you “saved.” (Edited amount saved our based on my mistake re 800 being the budget.)

Edited to add-
Bottom line if 300 is the budget re a new Taurus-I emphatically vote used GLOCK/SW otherwise stretch into a used da/sa Beretta.

Just to clarify.
I never said my budget was $800. I said, I would like it NOT to co$t a fortune. $800 for a gun is beyond my reach." The definition of way beyond is WAY BEYOND.
In addition, if I did not explicitly state....it was most certainly *implicitly stated that a Glock is a non-starter. By extension, it's a relatively safe bet that all striker fired pistols will also be non-starters.
Further, what started out as a thought posted "to a public forum" days ago has been further percolating in my mind in terms of absolutes, budget, etc.
I am now, through the kind guidance of those on this forum, limiting my search to (a) hammer fired / decocking models of primarily (b) Sig, Beretta, CZ and S&W. (and I have no prejudices re frame, polymer or metal).

So, for instance, what about a used Sig SP2022?

LockedBreech
04-17-2023, 09:26 AM
Just to clarify.
I never said my budget was $800. I said, I would like it NOT to co$t a fortune. $800 for a gun is beyond my reach." The definition of way beyond is WAY BEYOND.
In addition, if I did not explicitly state....it was most certainly *implicitly stated that a Glock is a non-starter. By extension, it's a relatively safe bet that all striker fired pistols will also be non-starters.
Further, what started out as a thought posted "to a public forum" days ago has been further percolating in my mind in terms of absolutes, budget, etc.
I am now, through the kind guidance of those on this forum, limiting my search to (a) hammer fired / decocking models of primarily (b) Sig, Beretta, CZ and S&W. (and I have no prejudices re frame, polymer or metal).

While my first choice would be the Beretta 92 and PX4 recommended by many others, I have owned two separate SP2022s and have several thousand rounds through the platform. They are superb. Hammer-fired trigger feel very similar to a P-series Sig and mine have been perfectly reliable. Provided it's a certified pre-owned and has been looked over by the factory, I don't much trust "out in the wild" used pistols. Unfortunately, they're pricier than they used to be (I paid 400 and 450 new for mine, they're like 600 now).

If it's in the 500-600 range I still think you're better served with a Beretta 92 or PX4. No bad choices among those three though. CZ P07 is worth a look too.

Sig_Fiend
04-17-2023, 09:38 AM

They're fantastic guns, well worth considering. They've gone up in price a bit in the last few years. If you look around a bit, they can be found as cheap as ~$400 used and sometimes as low as $350 if you're lucky. They're very durable, reliable, and accurate guns.

I love older SIGs. That said, if I was considering the SP2022, like others have said, I'd give serious thought towards the Beretta PX4. Those have a few similarities to the Beretta 92 you're used to. Also, the PX4 is still in production. I might be wrong but, as far as I'm aware I believe the SP2022 has been discontinued. So parts availability, holsters, etc are all going to get harder to find than they already were. They were never widely adopted by the aftermarket, so finding things like holsters is a bit harder. The PX4 has seen decent aftermarket support, so holsters, modifications, etc aren't hard to find. It's also easier to find the PX4 used for under $400.

Duelist
04-17-2023, 10:03 AM
The SP2022 I had was a great gun. The only warts on it were the stupid baseplate/grip frame interface which pinched my finger on reloads, and my inability to get along with the slide lock lever being in such a dumb location for someone with long thumbs. It got sold.

I personally prefer my Beretta. I bought it new, and spent a lot of money to get exactly what I wanted. But I would happily grab a used one and run the snot out of it.

JAH 3rd
04-17-2023, 11:41 AM
I think the folks here are just trying to give you suggestions so you will get the best handgun for the buck. Lots of good choices suggested here. If you don't mind me asking, what is the absolute most you will pay for a handgun? This will help us with suggestions that's in your price range.

CalAlumnus
04-17-2023, 12:17 PM
I think the folks here are just trying to give you suggestions so you will get the best handgun for the buck. Lots of good choices suggested here. If you don't mind me asking, what is the absolute most you will pay for a handgun? This will help us with suggestions that's in your price range.

On this point… I’ll say that, for $700, you can get a great, no-compromises service pistol. You can pay more, but you really don’t need to. Buy a Beretta 92X RDO or a Glock 19 MOS or a CZ 75D PCR. The benefit of a $1500 pistol is minimal over a $700 pistol—they’re more for perfectionists and enthusiasts. 99.9% of people are better off buying a $700 pistol, 2 cases of ammo, and some training. Personally, I’d just buy nice and be done with it.

When you go to a lower price point, things get more complicated. You can find the Glock 19 for $499 (an older version, without an optics cut). You can find a CZ P10C for $380. You can find a CZ P-07 for $460. A SP2022 can be had for $490. These would all be fine choices.

But at that price point (especially sub-$400), you have to be much more selective. There are a lot of options that may be fine for enthusiasts looking for a range gun, but that you shouldn’t consider as your “one gun.” I wouldn’t advise you to choose a Taurus, a Kel-Tec, an SCCY, a Canik, etc. You want a trusted, known model… You don’t want to play the lottery.

Clusterfrack
04-17-2023, 01:04 PM
... CZ P-07 for $460.

I have 4 P-07s. It's my defensive handgun of choice. Mine have the CGW ProGrade kit installed, so that adds $250-300. But, you can accomplish a lot with just the 15# hammer spring, extended firing pin, and FP roll pin (all from CGW).

pangloss
04-17-2023, 02:58 PM
I'll bring up the Beretta APX again. I don't think there is a better value in the pistol market right now.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

coN
04-17-2023, 03:29 PM
Another in the middle option that is a striker-fired with a revolver-like trigger is the superb SD9VE. Prices have gone up since its release but if you're patient, you can catch it @ around $250 - 270 when it's on sale.

The SP2022 is another good choice I can vouch for. I used to own one back when they offered a stainless slide with night sights.

So many good choices nowadays, i agree the APX is a great value, but i also gotta give the SD9 it's due for value as well.

JonInWA
04-17-2023, 05:00 PM
In a new gun, I recommend the following:

1. Glock

2. Beretta 92

3. HK VP9, P30, P2000

4. Sig Sigpro 2022 (if still available new)

In a used gun, here are some recommendations:

1. HK USP

2. Ruger P89

3. Sig Sigpro 2022 (if unavailable new)

There certainly are other credible and vetted choices, both new and used potentially available-some have been mentioned/recommended by other p-f members on the discussion here.

All things considered, probably the easiest overall default is to a Glock.

Best, Jon

SwampDweller
04-18-2023, 11:49 AM
Nothing wrong with wanting DA/SA with a decocker. If you can at all afford it, even a new, base model Beretta 92fs would do anything you need, be durable and reliable, have easily accessible parts, reasonably priced magazines, and a sterling track record. For me, I think the 92 series is the best DA/SA pistol, although IMO the USP and P30 are probably equal, just have more expensive mags/parts and not as easy to work on. Also more expensive than a Beretta.

The cheapest online I've found is here: https://guns.bridgeportequip.com/product/beretta-usa-js92f300m-92fs-italy-9mm-luger-4.90-151-black-bruniton-steel-slide-black-polymer-grip

Disclaimer that I have never ordered from here before, but an initial search showed the place seems to be legit. Perhaps someone else can chime in who's done business with them.

Clay
04-18-2023, 12:21 PM
It's been a couple of years since I was in the gun bidness, so I haven't followed the industry like I used to. Having said that, my recommendations to people over the last decade has been -

1. Glock 19 is almost always the right answer. Gen 4 or 5. If there's a 10 round limit - Glock 26.

2. If money is a concern, shop used, or buy a new S&W SD9VE for under $400 from Academy.

3. Buying a defensive pistol based on looks and feels is a bad idea.

4. Buy what the big police departments around you buy.

5. Buying the smallest, sexiest, newest pistol is wrong. Don't be a beta tester. Bigger guns are better, most of the time.

6. Don't buy a pistol to carry based on the "fantasy" you. Be brutally honest with yourself. Are you really going to carry this every day? Are you going to spend the time and money to really become proficient? Are you going to maintain that level?

I love my Beretta 92, but I don't maintain a high enough level of skill with DA/SA guns in order for me to feel comfortable carrying them. I find switching platforms problematic. Striker fired guns like the Glock are easier to reach a decent level of skill, and maintain it, in my opinion.

BN
04-18-2023, 02:16 PM
The cheapest online I've found is here: https://guns.bridgeportequip.com/product/beretta-usa-js92f300m-92fs-italy-9mm-luger-4.90-151-black-bruniton-steel-slide-black-polymer-grip

Disclaimer that I have never ordered from here before, but an initial search showed the place seems to be legit. Perhaps someone else can chime in who's done business with them.

That's semi local to me. I've browsed there a few times but never bought there yet. I know some who have dealt with them and I believe it's a good place to buy. One time I asked them to let me know if they got a specific gun in stock and they called me when they did. I had already found what I wanted someplace else or I would have bought it from them.

rawkguitarist
04-19-2023, 11:08 AM
tmanwell can you be specific on what puts a Glock or other striker fired examples out of the running? Sorry if you’ve stated this. I can’t read the entire thread.

The following is in general about pistol recommendations. Not necessarily to the OP:

I try not to be so dogmatic about gear recommendations. But IMO, telling someone to go to a shop and rent a bunch of guns often leads to a poor decision based on grip feel and trigger feel. Something that feels right to a newer gun owner may not be correct since they aren’t informed on what is actually optimal. And getting used to another pistol may inform them of what is important over initial feel. I just don’t want to wast time beating around the bush.

So I still recommend a few pistols that SHOULD work for MOST people. And this is from a self defense POV. That’s my focus/expertise. And they’re all reasonably priced and as reliable as it gets.

1. Glock 19 - I believe is the right choice for a large portion of people. Most adult men and even some women, the grip and trigger placement work great.
- If you have smaller hands - Glock 48

2. M&P 2.0 4.25 barrel

3. If someone really requires a DASA I’d suggest looking into the CZ P-07 or P-09. I say look into because I have no experience with them.

4. One if the SIG P365 models.

There are other great pistols out there. But these are the one’s I usually recommend.

Red Dot Sight - I’d also suggest to anyone plan on getting a red dot. In almost every way they are superior to irons and the future so why not plan on it.

LockedBreech
04-19-2023, 03:06 PM
6. Don't buy a pistol to carry based on the "fantasy" you. Be brutally honest with yourself. Are you really going to carry this every day? Are you going to spend the time and money to really become proficient? Are you going to maintain that level?

I love my Beretta 92, but I don't maintain a high enough level of skill with DA/SA guns in order for me to feel comfortable carrying them. I find switching platforms problematic. Striker fired guns like the Glock are easier to reach a decent level of skill, and maintain it, in my opinion.

This was the hardest part of my evolution as a shooter. I stuck to the PX4 and 92 series for most of my shooting life, and why not? They're very reliable, pretty, high quality, etc. I still love them the most out of all my guns.

But once I got a few Glocks and M&Ps, it was impossible to ignore that I am a very busy guy with two jobs working 60+ hours a week. I do not hit the range nearly as often as I used to be able to, and when I do, striker trigger skills degrade much more gradually than DA/SA skills. If I let a few months go by, it was like my first time with the 92. By contrast, I can go a long time without shooting my Gen 5 Glocks or 2.0 M&Ps and within a round or two I'm shooting well.

They aren't as sexy, they don't have as much character, but it's not random that 90% of the global military/LE market went striker.

Rex G
04-22-2023, 10:49 AM
9mm Glocks are good “senior years” auto-pistols, financially, and, well, orthopedically. (In my personal case, it is Glocks with full-length grips, for my gimpier right hand.)

Originally, I bought into Glocks, because I worked for a PD, that specified the duty pistols that we could use, and expected us to buy our own. When a compatibility issue with the then-mandated duty holster compelled me to give up carrying my “grandfathered” 1911 pistols, Glocks seemed to be the least of four evils that I could choose to carry. When Gen4 arrived, Glocks fit me noticeably much better. Now, in retirement, with all that I have invested, in training with Glocks, accessories for them, and with Glock’s established track record, it seems reasonable and practical to keep using Glocks.

HCM
04-22-2023, 01:34 PM
Just to clarify.

The people telling you striker fired guns are easier to shoot well and maintain proficiency with are correct but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Used hammer fired guns from the 3 brands you mentioned are fine.

IME the SP2022 is the most usable “as is”

IME the equivalent Beretta and CZ guns can greatly benefit from some minor upgrades such as grip tape ($20) and drop in trigger / spring tuning kits ($9 to $150).

Clusterfrack addressed the CZ P07.

IME the beretta PX4 storm benefits greatly from grip tape and swapping the standard F/G model hammer spring for the factory D (double action only) hammer spring. The beretta 92 series also benefits greatly from the 92 series D spring.

Remember the CZ and beretta pistols are made for export all over the world including to many 3rd world countries. The poor quality ammunition often requires excessively hard strikes to fire.

The D spring is a factory part and will reliably set off any ammunition you can buy on the commercial market in the United States.

Get a good kydex or polymer holster that covers the trigger guard and a coupe extra magazines and you are in business.

Avoid : soft nylon or leather holsters, holster that don’t protect the trigger guard. and SERPA holsters. Other Blackhawk products are ok - but SERPAs are the devil.