PDA

View Full Version : Mag pouch- concealed carry

littlejerry
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
What methods/products are you guys using for carrying your spare mag(s) when carrying concealed?

Up to this point I have been using my weak side pocket and I'm ready to switch to a faster and more reliable setup.

JodyH
03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Either a DeSantis Mag-Packer pocket mag carrier or a Fricke appendix IWB mag carrier.

JV_
03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Custom Carry Concepts BMC (they are still taking orders for them)

Kytac MP-2 (my favorite).

Jay Cunningham
03-27-2011, 06:06 PM
I use the same single pouch mag carrier that I would if I were carrying open OWB. Either a CCC or Ready Tactical kydex pouch. I just make sure it sits behind my hip bone (8:00 or 8:30 position) to help conceal it.

vaspence
03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I use the same single pouch mag carrier that I would if I were carrying open OWB. Either a CCC or Ready Tactical kydex pouch. I just make sure it sits behind my hip bone (8:00 or 8:30 position) to help conceal it.

Same as above.

SmokeJumper
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
5Shot Leather single mag pouch for leather or CompTac single mag pouch with belt clip for kydex. Singles work best, I have a Raven MD cut single on order to try, we'll see. Occasionally a second or third mag is carried in a Milt Sparks pocket mag pouch.

willowofwisp
03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I am either wearing a raven concealment single mag carrier or a Cane & Derby single mag carrier with the canti lever loops.

orionz06
03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I wear a kydex one I made at ~9:30-10:00.

VolGrad
03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
I have single pouches by Personal Security Systems / Personal Security Holsters but generally for CC I use either a horizontal pouch from Dale Fricke or a single from Kytex Shooting Gear. The Kytex is similar to a Ready Tactical or Talon Tactical pouch.

SteveK
03-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Raven Concealment single pouch or a CCC BMC.

littlejerry
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I have single pouches by Personal Security Systems / Personal Security Holsters but generally for CC I use either a horizontal pouch from Dale Fricke or a single from Kytex Shooting Gear. The Kytex is similar to a Ready Tactical or Talon Tactical pouch.

How do you like the horizontal configuration? Does it seem to conceal more easily? can you still draw quickly and not fumble the mag?

VolGrad
03-28-2011, 09:08 AM
How do you like the horizontal configuration? Does it seem to conceal more easily? can you still draw quickly and not fumble the mag?

I find the horizontal config more comfortable (no rib pocking or sharp corners) and easier to conceal. I haven't used in a class but have done some re-loads from it in dry fire practice and don't notice it being awkward or significantly slower. I like it very much.

I wear mine a bit ass backwards though from what Dale told me. I ordered mine to be worn either strong side just forward of my holster OR weak side forward of 3 o'clock (more often based on the fact the clip doesn't really fit over the doubled up Wilderness belt forward of the holster). On the weak side I can simply drop my hand down and grab the mag (bullets facing down, mag coming out the back side of the pouch, away from my buckle). My finger is ingexed along the spine as usual. I think Dale told me a lot of people wear them farther back so they pull the mag out the front toward their buckle. That makes sense too but I'm more used to wearing my mags toward the front and want to keep it up there.

DrDave
03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
CompTac single mag pouch with belt clip for kydex.
Waiting for one of these

VolGrad
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
CompTac single mag pouch with belt clip for kydex.
I stopped using Comp-Tac pouches after attempting to load a mag into my G19 ... pouch and all.

DrDave
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I stopped using Comp-Tac pouches after attempting to load a mag into my G19 ... pouch and all.

Good to know mate. Thanks for the info

VolGrad
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Good to know mate. Thanks for the info

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Comp-Tac but I would like their pouches to grasp my belt a bit more securely, maybe hooking around it more like my Kytex Shooting Gear pouches do.

DrDave
03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I love my MTAC and thats why the mag pouch seemed a logical choice. We now have a Comp-Tac agent in South Africa so I'll try it on first or have a look at some of the other ones on this thread

SmokeJumper
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Good to know, I can see how this is a possibility, with any clip on mag carrier. I've not experienced this with the Comp-Tac. I have noticed that the same style mag pouch from Fin Designs has a tighter belt clip. I like the clip version for easy on/off when in plain clothes, it's a convenience feature if you will. But, I will be more cognizant of this and do some experimentation with the Comp-Tac. More money just flying out of my hands for more gear...........LOL

VolGrad
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Good to know, I can see how this is a possibility, with any clip on mag carrier. I've not experienced this with the Comp-Tac. I have noticed that the same style mag pouch from Fin Designs has a tighter belt clip. I like the clip version for easy on/off when in plain clothes, it's a convenience feature if you will. But, I will be more cognizant of this and do some experimentation with the Comp-Tac. More money just flying out of my hands for more gear...........LOL
The difference in the clip on ones is in the shape of the clip. IIRC the Comp-Tac comes around the belt, pinches in, then flares back out a bit. This allows you to reach down and sort of pinch out the clip to easily remove it. Great. The issue is if it is at all loose or conditions are just right you can grab a mag and rip the whole pouch off our belt. The tension would prob have to be a little too tight on the mag for that to happen ... but it does.

In contrast, the clip design on the Kytex Shooting Gear pouches actually clips around the belt. If the tension on the mag was overly tight and you ripped the mag out the clip design would snap on the bottom of your belt and prevent it from coming loose. The Comp-Tac could (and for me did) slip back over the belt in reverse.

Not sure if any of that made any sense. Hopefully so.

Shellback
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
The difference in the clip on ones is in the shape of the clip. IIRC the Comp-Tac comes around the belt, pinches in, then flares back out a bit. This allows you to reach down and sort of pinch out the clip to easily remove it. Great. The issue is if it is at all loose or conditions are just right you can grab a mag and rip the whole pouch off our belt. The tension would prob have to be a little too tight on the mag for that to happen ... but it does.

Correct on the shape of the clip. Makes for easy on and off which is convenient but might not be the best for absolute retention on the belt. I've never had an issue with it thus far but I've only used it once in a class. I used an Atomic Dog pouch as my main and the Comp-Tac was for my secondary spare mag in the class.

vcdgrips
03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Alabama Holster Co IWB pouch
CCC BMC
Glock OEM Mag Pouch

in descending order of use.

BigT
03-28-2011, 03:53 PM

I stopped using them after breaking two in about four months or so of EDC.

SmokeJumper
03-28-2011, 04:52 PM

In contrast, the clip design on the Kytex Shooting Gear pouches actually clips around the belt. If the tension on the mag was overly tight and you ripped the mag out the clip design would snap on the bottom of your belt and prevent it from coming loose. The Comp-Tac could (and for me did) slip back over the belt in reverse.

Not sure if any of that made any sense. Hopefully so.

Makes sense, did a little comparison, I'll give this some more experimentation/research.

Rverdi
03-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Same here, always with a double stack mag and never any comfort issues. I use Ready Tacs and while I know a lot of users have moved on, I still like them as much as anything I've ever used. My only complaint is that they seem to break easily if used as a clip on so I just thread my belt thru.

littlejerry
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys.

Is anyone familiar with a stocking horizontal mag pouch? I'd rather not have to request a special item/order if I can go with something that someone normally makes.

VolGrad
03-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Is anyone familiar with a stocking horizontal mag pouch? I'd rather not have to request a special item/order if I can go with something that someone normally makes.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.htm

Dale Fricke Joab is what I use. Love it. Dale's a great guy to deal with too.

Pennzoil
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
CCC BMC
CCC custom horizontal

I had a hard time finding a horizontal mag pouch awhile back when I was looking for one. I ordered one with the custom feature from CCC and had to wait awhile (think because it was with my holster order) for it but great results. He called me just prior to making it and talked it over with me to make sure it was exactly how I wanted it.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3699/ccchmagcarrier.jpg

It lays flat against the body and has the right amount of retention on the magazine (doesn't fall while riding the motorcycle). Looks like he is still taking orders on accessories so maybe it's an option. I just order things like this and forget about it till it shows up.

Xhado
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
For the price Kytex Shooting Gear is great. Brian will even make you custom stuff.

Saur
03-29-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm extremely happy with my Dale Fricke Archangel aiwb mag pouch. It uses a single loop that I cant so it conceals better. Much better than my usual 9 oclock vertical pouches.

BobM
03-31-2011, 09:14 AM
I've been using a Galco DMC double pouch for the M&P & Glock for some time. I have a Kramer double pouch for the 5906 that I used to use; I think it's the best I've used as far as a double pouch and should probably order one for the M&P.

tmoore912
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Like Volgrad, I use a Dale Fricke Horizontal Mag Pouch for my 1911s and my Glocks.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Holsters/IMG_1207.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/Holsters/IMG_0496.jpg

jslaker
04-04-2011, 11:02 PM
The thing I've struggled with is carrying with a tucked shirt. My work attire is a tucked shirt and tie, and while there are plenty of options for the gun itself, pockets seem about the only real option for magazines, and with khakis my pockets are already crowded. Maybe I should give one of the back pocket mag carriers a try. I'm just not sure how comfortable it'd be sitting with a double stack magazine in my back pocket for extended periods.

VolGrad
04-05-2011, 06:49 AM
The thing I've struggled with is carrying with a tucked shirt. My work attire is a tucked shirt and tie, and while there are plenty of options for the gun itself, pockets seem about the only real option for magazines, and with khakis my pockets are already crowded. Maybe I should give one of the back pocket mag carriers a try. I'm just not sure how comfortable it'd be sitting with a double stack magazine in my back pocket for extended periods.

I've seen tuckable IWB mag pouches. They are out there you just have to look around. I can't point you specifically to one at the moment.

NickA
04-05-2011, 08:35 AM
I've seen tuckable IWB mag pouches. They are out there you just have to look around. I can't point you specifically to one at the moment.
Pretty sure Comp-Tac has one.
I'll also recommend Kytex for normal on the belt pouches. I just used them for AFHF and they're awesome- compact, stay on the belt, and you can buy 2 or 3 for what most pouches cost.

JonInWA
04-05-2011, 05:13 PM
My favorites tend to be from The Wilderness (see www.thewilderness.com); I use their Double Ugly dual pouch for both single- and double-stack magazines, and their horizontal pouches (both flapped and open) for double-stack magazines (and one flapped one for my flat single-stack SIG P225 magazines). The flapped varients work nicely with magazines that have sharper baseplate edges.

I also use Glock's polymer single magazine pouch, Orca's double mag pouch, Blade-Tech's double mag pouch, and a DeSantis single mag pouch (whose internal leaf spring magazine retention device tends to lightly scar my polymer Glock magazines, but operationally this causes no problems-just aesthetically).

Insofar as frequency of use, it's usually a Wilderness kinda day.

Best, Jon

STIPARTOUT
04-24-2011, 06:02 PM
When I approached the issue of carrying an extra mag, I originally thought that I would try to horizontal carry, but I wanted something that incorporated the entire mag (so it wasn't identifiable as to what it is. I found a few different pouches that I re-purposed to suit my needs. I found that the horizontal carry in this fashion was uncomfortable and made me look, well, pudgy.

I started thinking about all the crap that people carry around on their belts. My brother-in-law is a prime example. He carries both a cell phone and a multi-tool on his belt. I figured, I'd look into a myriad of various multi-tool/knife pouches. I found a benchmade pouch that is very inexpensive, encompasses the entire mag, and is slim enough not to draw any added attention. It is also just simple velcro to keep the flap shut, so it would be easy to access if need be.

I've been pretty happy with this so far. Hidden in plain sight.

Here are a few pics:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/stipartout/2bfe0cdb.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/stipartout/8e65122f.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/stipartout/94adcefa.jpg

GearScout
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Great solution, STIPARTOUT.