PDA

View Full Version : El Pres during IDPA classifier

YVK
10-16-2012, 01:01 AM
This is probably splitting hairs, but I asked worse questions. Planning to shoot my first IDPA classifier this weekend. The El Pres part, the way I understand, calls for T1-T2-T3 sequence, in that order, before and after reload. Here is the brilliant question of mine: has anybody ever rationalized which way is more efficient to make the turn, clockwise or counter?

My natural tendency is counter-clock. That way though I am seeing the T1 last, and I seem to need more rotation to bring the strong (right) hand towards the T-1.

ToddG
10-16-2012, 01:08 AM
From a pure gaming standpoint, rotating around the gun will be faster.

eta: I'd be surprised if they dictated you had to shoot the L target first. Insisting you shoot "tactical sequence" (each target must be shot once before you can shoot any target a second time) is much more IDPA-ish.

eta^2: Realized you're talking about the Classifier. Unless there's been some kind of official ruling, I've never seen the Classifier require a shooting order of any kind on anything except shots fired from concealment. You should be able to shoot them in any order and any sequence on the El Prez string (stage 2, string 3).

YVK
10-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I may have over-read into the rules, as they say T1-T3, and then again T1-T3. This brings the next question: if there is no particular sequence, it seems reasonable to reverse the order after reload since the gun is pointing somewhat towards the last target, and that's were the visual focus just was?

rsa-otc
10-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Couple of things:

With regard to the order in which you engage the targets, in all the classifer matches I have shot the order was not dictated to the shooter. In fact the SO asked which dirrection the shooter was going to turn so to clear the range in that dirrection of any possible muzzle hazards (read guys lazzing around to close to the firing line).

Secondly, I have yet to be required to wear a cover garment shooting the classifier, in all the youtube videos of people shooting the classifer I have yet to see anyone wearing one either. After rereading the rule book I don't see a cover garment mentioned either way.

ToddG
10-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Concealment is not required on the Classifier and never has been. In fact, it's frowned upon because it's essentially sandbagging.

rsa-otc
10-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Concealment is not required on the Classifier and never has been. In fact, it's frowned upon because it's essentially sandbagging.

MY bad, when I read your post I thought you were refering to a concealment garment when you said concealment.

jlw
10-16-2012, 10:37 AM
This is probably splitting hairs, but I asked worse questions. Planning to shoot my first IDPA classifier this weekend. The El Pres part, the way I understand, calls for T1-T2-T3 sequence, in that order, before and after reload. Here is the brilliant question of mine: has anybody ever rationalized which way is more efficient to make the turn, clockwise or counter?

My natural tendency is counter-clock. That way though I am seeing the T1 last, and I seem to need more rotation to bring the strong (right) hand towards the T-1.

Turn towards the gun and whip that head around/get eyes on the target at the buzzer and let the body follow.

The targets are all equidistant on the classifier. It doesn't matter in which direction you go.

JeffJ
10-16-2012, 11:29 AM
You should turn into the gun, it allows you to get the gun out of the holster faster without sweeping everyone and going home early.

Mr_White
10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
My thoughts and observations mirror everyone else's:

Concealment not just not required, but not allowed.

Turn right (for a right hander) to have the shortest turn to be able to level the gun to T1 soonest.

Shoot them in whatever order you want. I usually do what YVK suggested and do the short turn to the right and engage T1-T3, reload, then engage T3-T1 since I was already focused on T3 going into the reload.

The key really is to snap the head to the spot you want to hit. The rest of the motion flows well from there.

I've never shot the IDPA Classifier officially. Our training group just uses it as a broad benchmark of skills. Most of us shoot it outlaw using concealment, I shoot AIWB, sometimes someone has a laser.

jetfire
10-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Bear in mind that your time will also be slower on an IDPA El Pres than the "stock" El Pres times you hear around the internet. This is because the IDPA classifier targets are two yards apart and staggered in height, so you can't just hose it like you would the USPSA El Pres. My best clean time on the IDPA one is around the mid 6 range, my best time on a "regular" el pres is in the low fives high fours.