PDA

View Full Version : Taurus tx22 range report

Grouse870
04-03-2023, 01:24 PM
Recently picked up a Taurus tx22 compact as I wanted a .22 “trainer” but wanted one with an optic cut and something that was I could take with me for small game when I’m out and about. I checked out a few of the other offerings but the Taurus tx22 compact seemed like the best fit for me. Mounted a primary arms micro dot as the Taurus is set up for the shield rmsc/holosun k foot print and the primary arms matched and i caught one on sale for 89 bucks. 103250
The gun is threaded and comes with an adapter. Ambi safety and 13 round magazines it also take Glock front and rear sights. It comes with a white dot front and a black serrated u notch rear. They are just barely too short to see through the optic so taller sights would be needed. I ran 500 rounds through it and its two mags today.

100 CCI mini mag target 40 grains
50 CCI standard velocity 40 grains
150 federal punch 29 grain
50 CCI quiet semi auto 45 grain 835 FPS
50 norma match 22 40 grain
And about 75 rounds of bulk ammo

All total I had 8 “malfunctions” 5 with the punch but I think that had to do with how I loaded the mags and the profile of the bullet. If I didn’t load the mags fully and pull the follower all the way down and let it go to seat the rounds I would get a failure to feed. Or if I reloaded from a mag pouch sometimes the top bullet would be pushed down a bit and would nose dive into the mag. I “think” because the punch has a more flat profile that it seemed to have more feeding issues. I did have one round of CCI small game bullet which had a similar profile do the same. Otherwise I had a failure to lock back on 1 round of Norma match. 1 failure to fire with the CCI quiet. I’ll do some more testing with the federal punch. I meant to grab a box of CCI velocitors but apparently forgot. Winchester also appears to have a defense oriented load that I would like to try as well. Accuracy appears to be good however i didn’t really test it I just did a rough zero at 7 yards and the wind started coming in at 20-30 mph so I’ll test it later. I was able to make some 12 gauge empty’s dance though. This was 7 yards with federal punch two mags worth so 26 rounds. 103251
Trigger is decent and Glock like maybe a little bit lighter than a standard Glock trigger but decent. This is a very fun gun to shoot. I have a holster coming from Taurus as there is not a lot of options for this right now. But so far this seems like a good option for a red dot .22 trainer.

JHC
04-03-2023, 02:36 PM
So glad to see this review! I'm pretty interested in this little blaster too.

FWIW I have an M&P Compact .22 that shoots glorious and has never bobbled once, until I tried Punch in it yesterday and it literally became a single shot with Punch. Shoots everything with a round nose or normal .22 LR hollowpoint fine.

JHC
04-03-2023, 02:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpoyqblhvQY

Grouse870
04-19-2023, 01:47 PM
Range update. About 350 rounds so about 850 total rounds

100 rounds cci velcitors had 4 malfunctions. 3 stove pipes with live rounds and one fail to lock back. I could definitely tell the difference in these rounds as there was more “recoil”.

100 rounds cci minimags 1 stove pipe with a live round.

50 rounds federal punch. No malfunctions I did something different that I’m going to try from now on. I only loaded 12 rounds in a mag and it seemed to help with function especially with this round as I was having issues with this round before.

20 rounds cci stingers. No issues. Going to pick up some more to try as I only had a partial box.

52 rounds various bulk but mostly federal 36 grain. Had 2 fail to feeds

20 rounds cci green tag. No issues ran very well. Wind came in and started blowing over my targets so I called it.

Still really liking this gun. I picked up an appendix holster from UM tactical that works pretty well. I added a soft loop and some velcro with a wedge which helps as this gun is very short and it tips out a bit.

Federal punch. There’s alway one that sneaks out so 49/50
10 rounds at 10 yards with cci green tag. Shot as soon as the dot settled
UM tactical holster it was 34 dollars at Taurus USA with the coupon provided with the gun which I thought was a nice touch.

BillSWPA
04-19-2023, 02:25 PM
Range update. About 350 rounds so about 850 total rounds

100 rounds cci velcitors had 4 malfunctions. 3 stove pipes with live rounds and one fail to lock back. I could definitely tell the difference in these rounds as there was more “recoil”.

100 rounds cci minimags 1 stove pipe with a live round.

50 rounds federal punch. No malfunctions I did something different that I’m going to try from now on. I only loaded 12 rounds in a mag and it seemed to help with function especially with this round as I was having issues with this round before.

20 rounds cci stingers. No issues. Going to pick up some more to try as I only had a partial box.

52 rounds various bulk but mostly federal 36 grain. Had 2 fail to feeds

20 rounds cci green tag. No issues ran very well. Wind came in and started blowing over my targets so I called it.

Still really liking this gun. I picked up an appendix holster from UM tactical that works pretty well. I added a soft loop and some velcro with a wedge which helps as this gun is very short and it tips out a bit.

Federal punch. There’s alway one that sneaks out so 49/50
10 rounds at 10 yards with cci green tag. Shot as soon as the dot settled
UM tactical holster it was 34 dollars at Taurus USA with the coupon provided with the gun which I thought was a nice touch.

Thank you for the very helpful review.

I noticed only one loop on the holster. On a couple of occasions, I have had loops break (usually at the bottom where they bend) while I was wearing the holster. When that happened, I was really happy to have one other intact loop.

stomridertx
04-19-2023, 02:30 PM
I appreciate the report, I've been looking at getting this gun even though I talk a lot of smack about Taurus in general. I'm all in on Glocks and was going to get a G44, but I hate the fact I would have to spend almost as much as the gun on an aftermarket slide to run an optic. I'm also all in on pistol red dots so I'd like to have that on a .22 as well.

Grouse870
04-19-2023, 03:14 PM
I have extra loops just haven’t put it on this is mostly for the range. I’m not thinking about carrying it at this time. I’m the same way with glocks but the price on top of buying a completely new slide just didn’t make sense. I’m less than 400 total on this whole setup. So i consider it a win.

jetfire
04-20-2023, 08:28 AM
The Punch thing is definitely a known issue, and your guess that it has to do with the bullet shape is correct. Because of the relatively flat nose on the punch if the follower doesn't come all the way up it can cause the nose of the round to catch on the lip of the magazine. Downloading the mag to 12 seems to do the trick for me as well.

Crusader
04-21-2023, 11:42 PM
Recently picked one up myself, I got the one with the Riton red dot. I’ve been very happy with it, so far 770 rounds fired without a stoppage. Yes you read that right, not even a dead primer. I’ve shot CCI-MM, Aguila super, Federal Blue box, Remington Golden and Browning 40g. I’ve decided to go ahead and make the first 2000 rounds a 2000 round test, why not it’s off to a great start and doesn’t seem to care what ammo I use.

While I’m a little surprised it’s been perfect so far, I’m not surprised it runs really well. I have a full size TX22 with well over 4000 rounds fired and while there have been an occasional stoppage do to common 22lr stuff, dead primer, under powered round, etc. it has been outstanding. Taurus really hit the ball out of the park with the TX22 line up.

Grouse870
05-22-2023, 12:44 PM
Another update:

100 rounds federal punch loading 12 rounds instead of 13. 1 stove pipe and 1 failure to feed out of a brand new 16 round mag.

171 rounds of fed auto match. 1 failure to fire that went off the second time. This may be my new go to general purpose ammo for this gun as so far it’s run great.

Loading one round down in both the 13 and the 16 round mag seems to be the ticket. Still really like this gun.

G19Fan
05-23-2023, 06:25 AM
I appreciate the report, I've been looking at getting this gun even though I talk a lot of smack about Taurus in general. I'm all in on Glocks and was going to get a G44, but I hate the fact I would have to spend almost as much as the gun on an aftermarket slide to run an optic. I'm also all in on pistol red dots so I'd like to have that on a .22 as well.

Advantage arms glock conversion kit works with red dots

SJC3081
05-23-2023, 08:18 AM
My SW 22 compact is very reliable . Federal Punch causes extraction failures.

Crusader
05-23-2023, 10:30 AM
With all the reports on the poor function with the punch, it’s not worth it. I don’t care how effective a round it is, if it is prone to malfunctions I’d carry something else.

stomridertx
05-23-2023, 11:37 AM

There's my huckleberry, any reports on reliability? That's what the G44 should have been.

https://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=19XG5MOD&Session_ID=d2d457d3c1cb448e8b52bb3be907a1d6

G19Fan
05-23-2023, 12:07 PM
There's my huckleberry, any reports on reliability? That's what the G44 should have been.

https://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=19XG5MOD&Session_ID=d2d457d3c1cb448e8b52bb3be907a1d6

When I primaried a g19 used it for draw training and 25 yard slow fire with no issues. Was able to hold 97 consistently 25 slow fire with a dot.

Didn't have any reliability issues but it does do better with a lighter optic (I ran a swampfox kingslayer with no issues) 507c was fine too.

They make a lw mounting plate as well

G19Fan
05-23-2023, 12:08 PM

If you need a 507c or 407c give me a shout too

HCM
05-23-2023, 01:23 PM

G19Fan yes, but a blue label G44 is $ 359 plus the advantage arms kit is an additional $295 to $ 395

So $650 to $750 for an optics ready G44.

G19Fan
05-23-2023, 01:25 PM
G19Fan yes, but a blue label G44 is $ 359 plus the advantage arms kit is an additional $295 to $ 395

So $650 to $750 for an optics ready G44.

Why not just run the advantage arms on a g19 or g17 one already has?

HCM
05-23-2023, 01:41 PM
Why not just run the advantage arms on a g19 or g17 one already has?

Some people want dedicated .22s.

G19Fan
05-23-2023, 01:42 PM
Some people want dedicated .22s.

Ah. Then yes it would get expensive really fast

Grouse870
05-23-2023, 02:52 PM
Another option would be a blem dagger lower (assuming they fit the advantage arms) which i think is about 60 bucks (plus the 25 transfer fee so 85 without shipping) and a advantage arms kit would be under 500 without an optic.

DDTSGM
05-23-2023, 05:53 PM

Are you talking their optic cut slide or their older models, with you would have to use a dovetail mount?

G19Fan
05-23-2023, 06:13 PM
Are you talking their optic cut slide or their older models, with you would have to use a dovetail mount?

Their new optic cut slides run well

Biblethumpncop
05-24-2023, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the updates. I looked at the TX22's each time I go to Bi-Mart but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

DDTSGM
05-24-2023, 06:43 PM
Thanks! Have an older kit, contacted them about buying an optic slide, they are not sold separately.

noguns
06-16-2023, 05:26 PM
How’s the trigger on these. Short enough reach to teach kids to shoot?

Grouse870
06-16-2023, 07:51 PM
I would say yes. My 12 year daughter has shot it. The grip is pretty small at least on the compact.

Jamie
06-30-2023, 07:15 AM
I have a couple of shooting buddies that work at my local indoor range.
I shoot there at least once a week, usually more as I'm mostly retired.

I need an affordable understudy for my RDS G19 and I'm really intrigued by this gun. This range sees a high volume of shooters and has a very busy rental counter. The Taurus TX 22 reportedly has the least amount of issues (feeding and firing a variety of .22 ammo) out of the several .22's in their rental inventory. They get shot a lot, so that says something to me.

I have no plans to carry this gun, but want to but a RDS on it and to figure out an AIWB holster setup as well.
I may shoot some local steel matches with it as an aside. But I do want a dedicated .22 so this one looks like it's fill that bill.

They don't have the TX .22 C in stock though. But it's only a bit over $300.00 ordered through their mothership website.

I ran across Rhett's video that JHC linked (Thank you) a few days ago. Always great info on Rhett's channel.

Grouse870, is your TX22 C still meeting your expectations? I realize it's only been a few months, but thought I'd ask.
And thanks for the head's up on .22 Punch from both you and jetfire

Grouse870
06-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Yes. It is still meeting my expectations. I think it would be a worthwhile understudy.

Ed L
07-01-2023, 01:07 AM
I bought a Taurus TX22 Competition model and put a Crimson Trace RAD Open Reflex Pistol Sight on it. A friend has a gun with this exact setup. I shot it and liked it. Since I have found myself taking a lot of new shooters shooting, I thought this would be a fun and easy gun to shoot for them. It averages about one malfunction every 50-70 rounds. It is typically a failure to feed where the tip of the bullet gets caught up on the feed ramp. This is not counting situations where the round does not make it out of the magazine.

When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Here is a picture of my TX22 below my Wilson Beretta Brigadier:

Crusader
07-01-2023, 06:42 PM
I just use the mag loading tool that comes with it. It may be a little slower to load them but it insures that the mag is always loaded correctly. I have both a full size and a compact, with a combined 9000 rounds through them. Never have any reliability or mag issues loading them with the tool.

jandbj
07-01-2023, 07:31 PM
I bought a Taurus TX22 Competition model and put a Crimson Trace RAD Open Reflex Pistol Sight on it. A friend has a gun with this exact setup. I shot it and liked it. Since I have found myself taking a lot of new shooters shooting, I thought this would be a fun and easy gun to shoot for them. It averages about one malfunction every 50-70 rounds. It is typically a failure to feed where the tip of the bullet gets caught up on the feed ramp. This is not counting situations where the round does not make it out of the magazine.

When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Here is a picture of my TX22 below my Wilson Beretta Brigadier:

Lightning grip loader with this makes short work of loading tx22 mags. I parted with my tx22 but kept this knowing I’ll eventually end up with tx22 compact.
https://www.mcfaden.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Taurus-TX22-AdapterOnly

Jamie
07-04-2023, 08:24 AM

Quoting for good tip memo!

Actually many good tips in this thread. Crusader jandbj et al

I finally had the opportunity to shoot the "rental" TX22 at my local indoor range. I say "rental" because there isn't a charge due to my membership, and a couple of the SO's are shooting buddies and/or match buds.

The TX22 fits my hand great. The trigger is surprisingly nice with solid reset. The sight picture is clear and crisp even to my old eyes. And I had no difficultly keep all the rounds in the X on the targets I print for Rastoff's Challenge out to 10 yards.

The only problem with this range rental gun was the magazine was for shit! It allow the top round to angle out at >45 degrees...This particular gun fed Federal Gold Medal match .22 fine...not much else. But it was obviously a magazine issue.

I was impressed enough I ordered one when I returned home. $339.00 shipped to the range. No transfer fee just a TICs fee and a pound of flesh for the Tax man...er person. It should be here in a few days.

Reading online. (I know, questionable resource) it appears the Compact (13 rounds) runs fine with the fullsize TX 16 round mags. Anyone verify this?

I plan to put a 407 RDS on this pistol and shoot steel matches with it as well as use as an affordable understudy for my G19. Keeping my fingers crossed,

Thanks for all of the great info everyone has posted!

Happy Birthday America!

JHC
07-04-2023, 08:55 AM
I got one and its run well with Remington Golden Bullet and some Winchester 36 grain HPs. But just about a hundred or 150 rounds so far. I bought the model with the cheapo RDS already mounted, for $50 worth of convenience. I wouldn't do that again.

I like it. Not sure I like it better than my M&P Compact pictured, which feels higher quality and has run a lot of rounds of every stripe except Punch very well.

Jamie
07-04-2023, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the side by side pics JHC

Good point on the included RDS. I know the Holosuns have worked well for me, wasn't sure about that one.

Jamie
07-08-2023, 12:11 PM
I picked up my TX22 Compact yesterday.
Very impressive .22
Totally different sight picture (subjectively) from the rental TX22 the range owns. I've ordered a Holosun 407 for it. My eyes need the Red Dot...
The grip is reminiscent of my daily carry G19. I like that!

I disassembled the gun (removed the slide) as soon as I got to the firing lines. Everything looked great. I applied a bit of Lucas lube to the rails and put it back on the gun.

I fried about 150 rounds of various .22s through without a hitch. I forgot to bring some Federal Punch with me, so I plan to try those and some Federal Automatch (as I have quite a bit of it put back) next time.

Garden work and waterbath canning today. Chores must be done. :)

Thank you the helpful info as always here at P-F.

Ed L
07-09-2023, 05:15 AM
I picked up my TX22 Compact yesterday.
I forgot to bring some Federal Punch with me, so I plan to try those and some Federal Automatch (as I have quite a bit of it put back) next time.

Federal punch did not run well in mine. I quit trying after I got 2 failures to feed in 20 rounds with the nose of the punch stopping on the feed ramp.

I differentiate these with the ones due to a problem due to loading the magazine as I described in my previous post:

"When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense."

If you load the magazine incorrectly the slide will likely pass over the round and leave the round in the magazine. I will set it up and take a picture when I get a chance.

Jamie
07-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Federal punch did not run well in mine. I quit trying after I got 2 failures to feed in 20 rounds with the nose of the punch stopping on the feed ramp.

I differentiate these with the ones due to a problem due to loading the magazine as I described in my previous post:

"When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense."

If you load the magazine incorrectly the slide will likely pass over the round and leave the round in the magazine. I will set it up and take a picture when I get a chance.

Thank you Ed. That would be appreciated.
I am paying meticulous attention to loading the magazines as suggested and ,out of habit, back-tap the mags against my hand.
I have a couple of extra mags on order as I type this.

I don't have any illusions the Punch will work as you and several others, including jetfire, have mentioned.

But I gotta try LOL :)

Grouse870
07-09-2023, 06:39 AM
At least with mine downloading by one round seemed to fix the failure issues I was having.

Jamie
07-09-2023, 08:53 AM
At least with mine downloading by one round seemed to fix the failure issues I was having.

I will definitely give this a try.

Not that I'll be using this gun for varmint control or self defense but it would be great to be able to get reliable functioning with the Punch.

I've "removed" quite a few coyotes, fox, and skunks with CCI Stingers (raiding my chickens...another wife/another life) and the Stingers feed very well.

Jamie
07-13-2023, 08:07 AM
I remain impressed with this little auto.

I am definitely downloading by one in my 13 and 16 round mags as @Grousa870 suggested. Seems to work very well.

I am just under 1000 rds of a variety of .22, including bulk .22, through my TX 22 Compact. I have had 1 "dud" round (Federal Automatch) and exactly 1 FTF out of 50 rounds of Punch. That's been the only FTF so far.

I had to paint the front sight orange because I couldn't friggin' see the front sight...

My 407K arrived late yesterday. I'll head over to the indoor range this afternoon and get it sighted in.

An interesting aside. I carry my G19 AIWB in a Dale Fricke Archangel with the Red Dot hood. The TX 22 Compact actually fits, and fits well.
I ran it in some drills at the outdoor range yesterday (before the 407K arrived). I don't intend to "carry" the TX22 but this is a good thing for my outdoor range practice sessions.

Seriously considering shoot the Steel Challenge matches (at my outdoor range) with it.

Really looking forward to getting the 407K dialed in.

JHC
07-14-2023, 02:12 PM
I'm just loading the mag like I load centerfire mags and haven't had a problem. Thumbing them in from the top. Not using the rimfire mag tab to pull the follower down.

But dang bra, this might be one of the best "walk backs" I've ever shot and with these crappyish irons. Just a crazy shootable little peashooter!

G19Fan
07-15-2023, 12:18 AM
I'm just loading the mag like I load centerfire mags and haven't had a problem. Thumbing them in from the top. Not using the rimfire mag tab to pull the follower down.

But dang bra, this might be one of the best "walk backs" I've ever shot and with these crappyish irons. Just a crazy shootable little peashooter!

Some nice shooting there. 100% couldn't do this with irons

Crusader
07-16-2023, 11:04 AM
I’m surprised people are having to download their mags, from day one I’ve just used the cheap little loading tool provided with the gun and have had 100% reliability with full 13 round mags. Not including dud rounds of course, you’re always gonna get a few of those.

But I have close to 3500 rounds through mine with a variety of cheap bulk 22 and it has run great from day one with all five mags I have loaded to 13.

Also have a full size TX22 with 6000 rounds fired again using the tool loading 16 never an issue with reliability. What I have noticed in the last 1000 rounds is the slide is not locking back, may be that the mag springs have lost tension or the slide stop itself. Because it happens with all 7 16 round mags I have. I’ll use the 16 rounders in the c, if they lock back the c. I’ll know it’s the gun and not the mags.

Jamie
07-23-2023, 07:31 AM
I am just under 1000 rds of a variety of .22, including bulk .22, through my TX 22 Compact. I have had 1 "dud" round (Federal Automatch) and exactly 1 FTF out of 50 rounds of Punch. That's been the only FTF so far.

I remain incredibly impressed with this TX22 Compact.

I'm at 1825 rounds as of yesterday. I've probably had a dozen or so Fail to Fire, mostly from the 650 rounds of old (2010? Federal Automatch) and general bulk .22 RF.
The only Fail to Feed was the Punch round mentioned above.

I was curious as to whether mounting the 407 would affect reliability or not. As this platform was designed with an optic in mind I didn't think it would make any difference, and it didn't.

The only "maintenance" I've done was to soak the barrel in CLP after a range session, brush and swab it out the next morning and keep the slide lubed.

OK, I'm convinced. Taurus done good! :)

Jamie
01-01-2024, 07:12 AM
I remain impressed with this setup.

I just went over 4500 rounds yesterday...maybe 5K? Anyway, this little auto just keeps running...and running.
The 407 is a great combo.
And it fits my Dale Fricke AIWB holster well.

I shot better than 400 rounds on steel yesterday. No malfunctions of any kind. Old Winchester black colored bulk pac stuff.

I have had a few ammo related failures to fire. Those rounds wouldn't even light off in my LCR .22...so they were indeed duds.

Awesome affordable little .22.

jeep45238
02-06-2024, 06:12 PM
I remain impressed with mine. The subcompact came home today, but the other 2 have been amazingly reliable, shootable, and fun.

I"m really looking forward to trying out Steel Challenge this year.

https://i.ibb.co/J7qySsc/IMG-2598.jpg (https://ibb.co/vPhQMjc)