PDA

View Full Version : Platypus 2011 that takes Glock mags now out in the wild

spyderco monkey
03-31-2023, 10:49 PM
A few months back at SHOT there was news of these. It's now real and people are starting to get them. Small youtube channels of unknown provenance, but initial reports are positive - a lot more positive than the Prodigy.

https://cdn7.coreware.com/cache/image-full-327180-09d4607efbf74738f0e692cba9dadf0f.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8FbBzi9zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHLUK4wVSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJ4G4SrMI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vS1m0cGgKs

So far I'm pretty stoked off the concept. I've long dreamt of a gun with a 1911 trigger that took Glock mags

Has anyone here tried one yet?

Obligatory pic for those who forgot what a Platypus looks like.
https://i.ibb.co/VmFF1b2/MXUJYS64-FJJK7-HJ4-SC5-GN463-SA.jpg

Mark D
03-31-2023, 11:58 PM
I was pretty intrigued when I heard about these. Glad to see they're actually in production. I'll be interested to see Cowan or one of his peers do a review.

And because every thread needs more platypus...

https://i.ibb.co/VmFF1b2/MXUJYS64-FJJK7-HJ4-SC5-GN463-SA.jpg

Elwin
04-01-2023, 09:12 AM
If these things work and the company otherwise plays their cards right, they have the opportunity to blow right past the Prodigy and start taking real market share from Staccato.

Staccato - “Hey Glock guy, look at this awesome hi cap 1911ish wonderblaster. Just give us $3000 and then go buy all new holsters, mag carriers, and $50 mags (and we promise they even work now!).”

Stealth - “So this is the same thing at $1400 but you only need a holster. Unless you just want to buy more $20 Glock mags because reasons, which is also cool.”

echo5charlie
04-01-2023, 04:01 PM
If these things work and the company otherwise plays their cards right, they have the opportunity to blow right past the Prodigy and start taking real market share from Staccato.

Staccato - “Hey Glock guy, look at this awesome hi cap 1911ish wonderblaster. Just give us $3000 and then go buy all new holsters, mag carriers, and $50 mags (and we promise they even work now!).”

Stealth - “So this is the same thing at $1400 but you only need a holster. Unless you just want to buy more $20 Glock mags because reasons, which is also cool.”

As a Glock guy this has piqued my interest for the example given. I'm not going to beta test, but if it pans out I just may get to scratch my 2011 itch.

Joe in PNG
04-01-2023, 04:09 PM
If the thing works, and if they can make enough, they may have a hit here.

Caballoflaco
04-01-2023, 06:53 PM
I don’t put aesthetics above everything, but damn: Milling machine go brrrrrrrr!

Why so many slide cuts? Make less slide cuts; save time; save tooling: profit.

Elwin
04-01-2023, 07:22 PM
I don’t put aesthetics above everything, but damn: Milling machine go brrrrrrrr!

Why so many slide cuts? Make less slide cuts; save time; save tooling: profit.

Looking at their website before I think I remember a more plain Jane 1911 look being the base model. The bling is add ons.

Inkwell 41
04-01-2023, 08:28 PM
You take a beaver, put a duckbill on it… it’s a mammal, but it lays eggs. One of my favorite Robin Williams bits.

Bergeron
04-01-2023, 08:59 PM
I'm eager to see one of these show up in the pic thread. As an aluminum-framed gun, I'm suuuper-curious about a 9mm Commander.

Elwin
04-01-2023, 09:07 PM
I'm eager to see one of these show up in the pic thread. As an aluminum-framed gun, I'm suuuper-curious about a 9mm Commander.

Mentioned in the other thread from when these came out, but I really want a lightweight 9mm Commander that takes G19 mags. Especially at half the price of an EDC X9, which is a 15rd lightweight 9mm Commander but still has proprietary mags.

The only thing on the market similar to this is the DWX series, and while CZ and Mecgar mags is good, it’s not Glock mags good.

Grouse870
04-02-2023, 10:57 AM
The fact that they have a preset perry the platypus version is just awesome. Playing with the customizer 1600 with an optic cut and threaded barrel and a few other things is kinda cool. I’d like one of these to make there way into some more prominent youtubers hands I think Hilton yam from 10-8 performance would be pretty cool reviewer for this gun.

coN
04-02-2023, 04:12 PM
And thus, playing the CZ Configurator and debating if I wanna go with a bootleg DWX S2 has now been directed to "PERRY THE PLATYPUS 1911!"

awp_101
04-03-2023, 10:23 AM
Did Glock ever crack the code on making their 10 round double stack mags reliable? Just trying to help some folks do some "just in case" planning and thinking ahead...

mcgivro
04-03-2023, 11:00 AM

This is the same thing as a Staccato like McDonald’s is the same thing as a steakhouse.

pangloss
04-03-2023, 11:18 AM
This is the same thing as a Staccato like McDonald’s is the same thing as a steakhouse.If you've had a chance to handle a Platypus, please let us know the specifics underlying your general opinion.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

spyderco monkey
04-03-2023, 05:03 PM
We're still waiting for a proper review from some of the more established guys.

But I was able to find some more random data points.

https://www.reddit.com/r/2011/comments/11gfvw4/stealth_arms_platypus_landed_today/

"Way higher build quality than i was expecting. Frame/slide fit is impeccable, well blended and no slide rock.. Trigger is excellent , short reset. The only things i could even think about complaining about is the trigger and the mags. The trigger return did feel just a tad under-sprung, but I’ll see how it shoots before worrying about that. And with the magwell and the included 17rnd glock mags, they just don’t jive great, which I was expecting. It’ll be fine with the 19 and 21 rounders I’ll use in it.

Its not interference, its just that the base plate is just barely flush with the magwell. Like I said, it works, but I’ll be running strictly 19x and the 21/27rnd magpuls in mine. I’ll use the 17’s it came with in my g17.

Got home late so I only got 100rds through it, but it was flawless. Money well spent."

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms/comments/12apuqq/mine_showed_up_today_ordered_on_3723/

"Fit and finish are great. No complaints. Will take her to the range this weekend and see how she performs.

Definitely lighter than my Prodigy 4.25.

I didn’t ask for a specific weight (and it wasn’t an option on the builder at the time) so it is what is standard I suppose. [Trigger] Came in a hair over 3.5 pounds which I’m very happy with."

https://preview.redd.it/cnjq8smf6pra1.jpg?width=1576&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&f3566e9f

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Stealth-Arms-Platypus-Glock-mag-1911-with-factory-customization/5-2634183/?page=3#i103507484

"I just held one.
Stealth grey, full length rail, commander slide, flat trigger.
I did not disassemble it.

It felt REALLY good in the hand.
Fit and finish were excellent.
Trigger was crisp and light.
It did not feel bulky or huge in the hand.

I could seriously consider getting one."

spyderco monkey
04-03-2023, 05:06 PM
You take a beaver, put a duckbill on it… it’s a mammal, but it lays eggs. One of my favorite Robin Williams bits.

Thanks for the tip, that is a wonderful bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc2JBtrPpIk

mmc45414
04-03-2023, 09:13 PM
These are built very nearby to me.
Also, they are on the exhibitors list for the NRA event in Indy next week.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JCN
04-03-2023, 09:22 PM
This is the same thing as a Staccato like McDonald’s is the same thing as a steakhouse.

So I guess the temporary ban did nothing to make you less Eeyore.

Back on the ignore list you go!

Joe in PNG
04-03-2023, 10:14 PM
So I guess the temporary ban did nothing to make you less Eeyore.

Back on the ignore list you go!

We ever get the disclosure as to what industry he professionals for? Or is it one of those Steven Seagull things?

pangloss
04-03-2023, 10:57 PM
These are built very nearby to me.
Also, they are on the exhibitors list for the NRA event in Indy next week.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TapatalkMcDonalds or Platypus? Or both?!?

Mark D
04-03-2023, 11:14 PM
Did Glock ever crack the code on making their 10 round double stack mags reliable? Just trying to help some folks do some "just in case" planning and thinking ahead...

There's a recent thread discussing that question. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?56330-Gen5-Glock-19-10-round-magazines

The thread indicates the Gen 5 ten-rounders are more reliable than previous versions, but I haven't done any testing myself.

sickeness
04-03-2023, 11:26 PM
I'll acknowledge that glock mags are plentiful, common and reliable. However the magazine itself is one of the limiting factors of the platform, being that the polymer coating makes them freaking wide and square which translates to an even wider and blockier grip shape.

It would be nice if they made a grip module for a thinner magazine that is also proven to be reliable like for the M&P.

HCM
04-03-2023, 11:41 PM
I'll acknowledge that glock mags are plentiful, common and reliable. However the magazine itself is one of the limiting factors of the platform, being that the polymer coating makes them freaking wide and square which translates to an even wider and blockier grip shape.

It would be nice if they made a grip module for a thinner magazine that is also proven to be reliable like for the M&P.

“They” did, the Oracle Arms 2011, but they made it for P320 mags because the 320 outsells the M&P by a significant margin.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?55469-Another-2011-variant-Oracle-Arms-2311

spyderco monkey
04-04-2023, 12:29 AM

Glock mags are actually thinner than 2011 mags.

Polymer adds thickness but still smaller than the .45 sized 2011 mag.

So grips can be equal or better than 2011.

Also a lot of the blockiness is just Glock. The Lone Wolf Timberwolf 2 frame has a very trim grip by removing the hump and some rounding.

Default.mp3
04-04-2023, 08:21 AM
This is the same thing as a Staccato like McDonald’s is the same thing as a steakhouse.If Staccato was a steakhouse, it would be a Sizzler. And I'd rather eat at McDonald's than a Sizzler. I mean, have you had the Quarter Pounder with Cheese since they switched to using only fresh beef? It's a pretty damn good burger for fast food.

Staccato is not some kind of high dollar gun. Seems to me that most buyers are people that want a double stack single action, but can only afford a mass production gun, and hang out too much on social media. Okay, I'm probably just grouchy since I've been doing the double stack SA thing before it was cool, the Staccato certainly appears to have an easier time with the various slide mounted optics than CZ, Beretta, or SIG from the factory.

I'm just still not really convinced that the newest generation of Staccato mags have fixed all the bugs, though I'm quite open to having my mind changed if there's enough folks here that feel that way, I just keep running into niggling anecdotes that give me pause, whether it be @Duke (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=16355)'s poor experiences, the fact that most of the serious USPSA open shooters I know still stick with MBX over Staccato mags, etc. The Glock OEM mag might actually be the more reliable mag still. Don't get me wrong, it looks like Staccato is heads and shoulders above STI in terms of reliability, I'm just not quite ready to believe that it's better than a Glock mag (let alone an H&K mag, amirite).

HeavyDuty
04-04-2023, 08:21 AM

I see you learned nothing while you were on vacation.

Le Français
04-04-2023, 10:27 AM
I've been doing the double stack SA thing before it was cool […] (let alone an H&K mag, amirite).

Still rocking a P30L, C&L?

Default.mp3
04-04-2023, 10:53 AM
Still rocking a P30L, C&L?Aye, falling for the sunk cost fallacy means that I'll almost certainly never transition away. Granted, the P30LS is a polymer frame rather than metal, and has a hinged trigger rather than sliding one, so it's not completely analogous, but the consensus seems to be that it's the SA that makes the biggest difference in ease of shooting rather than the weight or the trigger mechanism itself, so still have the most fundamental advantage there.

mmc45414
04-04-2023, 06:54 PM
McDonalds or Platypus? Or both?!?

Well, there is a White Castle production commissary right up the road from me... :cool:

spyderco monkey
04-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Whereas virtually every other gun release usually starts with reviews from the major 'big names' on youtube and print, the Platypus continues to have reviews from the smallest and most random of youtubers. It's really bizarre.

Here's one from today. Not much 'info' but I was pleased to see that it ran reliably even with the dirt cheap 17 and 32rd ETS transparent magazines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AquJ9M5Qxlg

JCS
04-04-2023, 08:06 PM
If Staccato was a steakhouse, it would be a Sizzler. And I'd rather eat at McDonald's than a Sizzler. I mean, have you had the Quarter Pounder with Cheese since they switched to using only fresh beef? It's a pretty damn good burger for fast food.

Staccato is not some kind of high dollar gun. Seems to me that most buyers are people that want a double stack single action, but can only afford a mass production gun, and hang out too much on social media. Okay, I'm probably just grouchy since I've been doing the double stack SA thing before it was cool, the Staccato certainly appears to have an easier time with the various slide mounted optics than CZ, Beretta, or SIG from the factory.

I'm just still not really convinced that the newest generation of Staccato mags have fixed all the bugs, though I'm quite open to having my mind changed if there's enough folks here that feel that way, I just keep running into niggling anecdotes that give me pause, whether it be @Duke (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=16355)'s poor experiences, the fact that most of the serious USPSA open shooters I know still stick with MBX over Staccato mags, etc. The Glock OEM mag might actually be the more reliable mag still. Don't get me wrong, it looks like Staccato is heads and shoulders above STI in terms of reliability, I'm just not quite ready to believe that it's better than a Glock mag (let alone an H&K mag, amirite).

Do you know what gen staccato mags they were having issues with?

I don’t use Staccato mags in competition because the 140mm only hold 20 rounds whereas at last and mbx hold 23.

Anecdotal but in 2,500 rounds with my P my issues have come using the non staccato mags and the failures were when my gun was really dirty so I can’t blame it on mags but I also can’t rule them out.

I’d like to do more testing so if anyone knows ways to test them other than shoot lots of rounds let me know and I’ll do it.

I also clean them more often. Like every range session they hit the ground or every stage in a match. That’s not something I would do with striker guns and it’s more so out of an abundance of caution.

RDT806
04-04-2023, 08:30 PM
Several people on Reddit and Facebook reported horrible finish jobs on these. With pics. I think Stealth got a little overwhelmed.

RDT806
04-04-2023, 08:31 PM

I don’t use Staccato mags in competition because the 140mm only hold 20 rounds whereas at last and mbx hold 23.

Anecdotal but in 2,500 rounds with my P my issues have come using the non staccato mags and the failures were when my gun was really dirty so I can’t blame it on mags but I also can’t rule them out.

I’d like to do more testing so if anyone knows ways to test them other than shoot lots of rounds let me know and I’ll do it.

I also clean them more often. Like every range session they hit the ground or every stage in a match. That’s not something I would do with striker guns and it’s more so out of an abundance of caution.

The first Gen. I have 13 Gen 2 mags and thousands of rounds out of them and never once had a mag issue. Problems are no more common than any other mags.

spyderco monkey
04-04-2023, 08:49 PM
Several people on Reddit and Facebook reported horrible finish jobs on these. With pics. I think Stealth got a little overwhelmed.

I imagine so, offering all these different color schemes is nuts, especially for what I think will prove an extremely high demand pistol.

I bet they will have to Henry Ford it and stick to Black once demand really takes off.

RDT806
04-04-2023, 08:59 PM
I imagine so, offering all these different color schemes is nuts, especially for what I think will prove an extremely high demand pistol.

I bet they will have to Henry Ford it and stick to Black once demand really takes off.

Yeah I think they made a mistake there. I mean I like options. But seeing the ugly one’s people are ordering makes me not want one lol. Makes the whole company look cheap to me. Just my opinion though.

Default.mp3
04-04-2023, 09:04 PM

I also clean them more often. Like every range session they hit the ground or every stage in a match. That’s not something I would do with striker guns and it’s more so out of an abundance of caution.No idea on the generations, but it was more of me asking them why they ran MBX instead of Staccato mags with MBX or Grams followers, since the latter would still be cheaper, and the consensus was that they just didn't trust the Staccatos. Maybe like me they're just superstitious still. Mostly comes from me funning them for having to clean 160 USD mags after every stage, where as I just will knock out the dirt and sand as needed out of my mags, though I'll be the first to admit that I've had debris in the mags fuck me on a stage, I just don't care enough to clean them after ever stage.

I do distinctly recall Mike Pannone getting extra pissed at his mags at one USPSA match, when he was still with them. Bunch of black ones fresh out of the wrapper that would refuse to drop free, I'm relatively certain that they were the Gen2 mags, because there was a lot of sniggering in the squad about how STI still failed to fix their mags after all the hoopla about the updates. Don't remember if there was any feeding issues though.

coN
04-04-2023, 09:24 PM

I bet they will have to Henry Ford it and stick to Black once demand really takes off.Browsing Reddit, i saw some examples of this and man... It is not pretty. I'm still curious about one though.

EDIT: Oof, this one is worse than the 2 other examples that I saw... https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms/comments/12aqog0/picked_up_my_order_today_not_pleased_finish_issue/

One thing in common with all the examples I've seen, it's all with this particular slide design. I wonder if it's limited to this one slide.

HCM
04-04-2023, 11:30 PM
If Staccato was a steakhouse, it would be a Sizzler. And I'd rather eat at McDonald's than a Sizzler. I mean, have you had the Quarter Pounder with Cheese since they switched to using only fresh beef? It's a pretty damn good burger for fast food.

The Stacatto P /C2 is made to be a duty gun. The gun and the mags are a system intended to be cleaned/ lubed every 1-2k rounds and shot with factory duty and practice ammo.

It’s not the do all of 2011s nor is it the equal of a gun that costs 3x the price like an Atlas or a Chambers. If you want that, or an open gun you need to pony up for it.

When you deviate from that all bets are off.

Open guns are finicky as race horses and are run on custom tuned hand loads. So not relevant.

Duke bought a Stacatto, gutted it, swapped out half the parts and then bitched that his Frankenstein gun didn’t run. As I recall he also bought the XC which is the most finicky Stacatto before he started ducking with it. Also not relevant.

Contrast that with JSGlock34 who’s currently over 11,000 rounds with a stock Stacatto P Duo with two stoppages in 11k rounds.

This, and unfortunately the issues with optics coming loose, matches the experience of the shooters I know running Stacattos.

Gary1911A1
04-05-2023, 06:26 AM
I'd like to see them offer it with a bull barrel and a compensator option. I also agree with several of you on the colors. Plain black is fine with me. That one in that guy's video is hideous in my opinion.:eek:

Archer1440
04-05-2023, 06:37 AM
If you've had a chance to handle a Platypus, please let us know the specifics underlying your general opinion.

Some people have been on my ignore list for a long time now, for reasons. It's a useful tool, but it gets subverted by quotes.

Jim Watson
04-05-2023, 08:28 AM
Grr.
Nothing comes up for me on their configuration page. I see "Presets" and "Customize" but a click does not produce anything. Am I being discriminated against because I use an iMac?

farscott
04-05-2023, 08:44 AM
I like the idea of the Platypus, but I am not sure the reality makes much sense. I get the advantage of the Glock's ubiquity, but the number of magazine variants may work against the Platypus's performance. There are a lot of different Glock magazines out there, both factory versions and aftermarket offerings. I bet some of then are not compatible with the Platypus. Then we get into the machining and finish options. Way too many of both for a new product launch.

The SA Prodigy launch made much more sense to me. Use a good magazine manufacturer and keep the number of initial SKUs low. That allows one to focus on solving issues, which admittedly the Prodigy has/had with recoil spring weight. Wilson did much the same with the EDC X9 line which now has many more variants than it did at launch.

As for the Platypus, I have a decent investment in 2011 magazines in both 9mm and .40 having been using the platform for the last twenty years. For me, not too much advantage with the new offering. For a shooter new to the 2011 marketplace, the idea makes a ton of sense as good 2011 magazines have always been pricey. The issue with the 2011 has always been magazines. Both quality and being designed around the .45 ACP. After learning STI "handcrafted" each magazine, the reputation for hit-or-miss performance and the need to tune makes sense. I have also been told that MBX has shipped some magazines with tubes that are not square. So the 2011 magazine issue is not in the past. It is still best to spend for known good magazines.

spyderco monkey
04-05-2023, 08:57 PM
2000rd review from random, but he says was reliable with multiple types of ammo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1uOF261Gu8

Follow up comment from a Redditor who has one:

https://i.ibb.co/mGY4qXf/Screen-Shot-2023-04-05-at-9-55-27-PM.png

Really hoping we some someone like Honest Outlaw or Aaron Cowan get one soon for more legit testing.

But other than the finish options so far all these random reports have been positive.

Grouse870
04-07-2023, 05:17 PM
Looks like the humble marksman just got a platypus. So at least it seems to be making its rounds to bigger channels

spyderco monkey
04-07-2023, 08:26 PM
Looks like the humble marksman just got a platypus. So at least it seems to be making its rounds to bigger channels

Nice, just saw that on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms/comments/12exuuv/it_finally_showed_up/

His looks good, and bit more tasteful color scheme. No problem with the finish.

https://i.ibb.co/Sx7ScPC/7ryhjyvxsisa1.webp

Trigger may be Perry the Platypus motif

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/phineasandferb/images/6/66/Profile_-_Perry_the_Platypus.PNG/

Nephrology
04-08-2023, 09:42 AM
As a Glock guy this has piqued my interest for the example given. I'm not going to beta test, but if it pans out I just may get to scratch my 2011 itch.

Same, following with interest

MountainRaven
04-08-2023, 02:31 PM
Grr.
Nothing comes up for me on their configuration page. I see "Presets" and "Customize" but a click does not produce anything. Am I being discriminated against because I use an iMac?

Are you on Safari?

I'm using a MacBook, but I'm using Firefox (after getting sick of websites not playing well with Safari), and no problems here.

penates
04-08-2023, 04:58 PM
Until they make a model with an ambi safety, I am firmly in the no way catagory.

Archimagirus
04-08-2023, 07:54 PM
Until they make a model with an ambi safety, I am firmly in the no way catagory.

If you go through the configurator on the website, you can specify an ambi safety.

penates
04-08-2023, 08:48 PM
If you go through the configurator on the website, you can specify an ambi safety.

No kidding. I checked the site a week or two ago and the ambi was "forthcoming". I will have to check again.

CleverNickname
04-08-2023, 08:56 PM
The only thing that's giving me pause about buying one of these is that I'm hesitant about direct milling for a specific optic. I've done that with Glocks and regretted it. If the Platypus used an optic plate system I'd buy one right now.

Bucky
04-09-2023, 06:23 AM
Since it uses Glock mags, I’m curious if it utilizes the brilliant, but often overlooked over insertion ledge / stop..?

Elwin
04-09-2023, 04:41 PM
Since it uses Glock mags, I’m curious if it utilizes the brilliant, but often overlooked over insertion ledge / stop..?

That’s a good question. Does it really take Glock mags if you can’t use 33rd happy sticks?

cosermann
04-10-2023, 09:13 AM
The holes in the sides of the slide don't agree with me.

Gadfly
04-10-2023, 12:13 PM
The holes in the sides of the slide don't agree with me.

Same. I have never liked the "swiss cheese" look of many of todays slides.

BUT, the base model of this gun is a plain black 1911 slide with forward serrations. It is very traditional and tasteful looking.

This gun intrigues me as well. As someone pointed out earlier, a P320 mag version is even more appealing to me as it would keep the traditional 1911 grip angle as GOD and JMB intended. I can only assume this is a 1911 with a glock grip angle to accommodate the glock mag.

Still, I want this gun to succeed.

coN
04-10-2023, 04:02 PM
As someone pointed out earlier, a P320 mag version is even more appealing to me as it would keep the traditional 1911 grip angle as GOD and JMB intended. I can only assume this is a 1911 with a glock grip angle to accommodate the glock mag.
Stealth Arms states it maintains the 1911 grip angle with Glock mags. Reports from various YT and Reddit sources confirm this.

Its the only reason this thing has my attention away from a DWX. I don't like some parts are proprietary in the slide but, if it runs then I'm in.

Biggy
04-10-2023, 04:16 PM
I live about 20 miles away from Stealth Arms here in west central Ohio. I hope this company and their pistol line do well going forward. *If* I were to get a 1911 hi-cap 9mm pistol today (and I am not) *I* would probably get a Dan Wesson DWX Compact and put a low mounted Aimpoint ACRO P2 RDS on it, and I would also change out the red trigger shoe for a black one. To *me* and my hand size the ergo's of the DWX's grip frame is hard to beat and Dan Wesson has been around for a while.

spyderco monkey
04-10-2023, 05:07 PM
That’s a good question. Does it really take Glock mags if you can’t use 33rd happy sticks?

Several videos have shown the Playtpus happily firing happy sticks, even managing to work well with the cheapo ETS versions.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/IMG_3610.jpg.webp

spyderco monkey
04-10-2023, 05:12 PM
Same. I have never liked the "swiss cheese" look of many of todays slides.

BUT, the base model of this gun is a plain black 1911 slide with forward serrations. It is very traditional and tasteful looking.

This gun intrigues me as well. As someone pointed out earlier, a P320 mag version is even more appealing to me as it would keep the traditional 1911 grip angle as GOD and JMB intended. I can only assume this is a 1911 with a glock grip angle to accommodate the glock mag.

Still, I want this gun to succeed.

The Glock grip angle is largely a function of the big hump in the backstrap.

LoneWolfs 'humpless' Timberwolf 2 frame has a somewhat between 1911 and CZ grip angle, as an example.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-u6rb2tt5h8/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/5461/9806/9806__09266.1667847504.jpg?c=1

If there was anything I would want from a 'Glock Gen 6' it would be a frame that allows for actually removable backstraps that allow users to tailor the grip angle to their natural fit.

spyderco monkey
04-10-2023, 05:18 PM
Another new Platypus has arrived:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms/comments/12hsi3n/my_platypus_arrived/

Great/Awesome

As soon as I picked it up out of the box to inspect at the FFL: "Wow, this thing is light and slim!” Significantly lighter than my STI DVC/Edge guns, as thin as my favorite 1911’s. Exactly what I wanted in terms of grips/ergonomics.

Includes a really nice soft case with their embroidered logo, two Glock OEM 17rd 9mm mags (gen 4?) and the rear sight for use with an optic instead of the iron sights plate. Rear sight came with needed hex wrench to remove the set screw (more on this later).

The cerakote work on mine is excellent. I have no issues whatsoever and it absolutely matched my expectations based on the build-a-bear picker.

Pistol came well oiled and slightly dirty. I knew from watching videos that they did more than the 1-2 round test fire at the factory and I’m absolutely fine with this. It’s clear it was test fired and not sent out the door hoping it worked - it was sent out proven to work. I appreciate this vs. a pristine pistol someone claims they tested but may or may not have.

The slide-to-frame fit is excellent. It’s very clear that it’s hand-fitted (confirmed based on RGG’s new interview with them earlier this week where they said sending “extra” slides wasn’t likely to happen because they’re hand fit vs. “machine tolerances.” The slide moves like it’s buttered, with no grit, burrs or hangup.

The optics cut was an exact, perfect fit for the milled slot and the threads on the factory-included screws from Leupold were a perfect fit - no separate screws required.

I don’t have a trigger pull gauge but the trigger is appropriately light based on my “make it light” request. It has a little bit of takeup and pulls to a crisp, clean break with a normal-to-1911’s short reset. I can’t detect any real overtravel but there is no overtravel set screw so if I did it wouldn’t be adjustable. This is easily on par with my STI triggers and better than the gunsmith-tuned competition trigger in my single-stack Para. It’s not inconceivable that a USPSA GM would do something like drop in an Atlas trigger with pretravel and overtravel adjustments to tweak things I simply can’t feel yet at my skill level.

And for morale, a Platypus puppy:

https://i.ibb.co/7jdN6wz/450cfa1797a20c360a54754381dc92ef.jpg

spyderco monkey
04-12-2023, 12:06 AM
Nice looking build option I came across; they're not just in crazy colors.

https://i.redd.it/m635zlzmw7ta1.jpg

WobblyPossum
04-12-2023, 09:22 AM
This is a really interesting idea. I’m curious. Can’t wait to see some range reports from people on the forum.

eaglefrq
04-12-2023, 12:26 PM
I ordered one yesterday, now the epic wait begins. When I first started looking at these a month ago, the wait time was 2 weeks. As of yesterday it was 8 weeks.

spyderco monkey
04-12-2023, 07:21 PM
First print review. Lots of details and even more pics.

Summary
The Stealth Arms Platypus is one of the most unique and fun guns I have reviewed. Throughout my hundreds of rounds of testing, it ran without any issues. It was accurate, smooth, and felt great. The Platypus has an MSRP starting at $1,500 but can go up from there depending on the customized options chosen in the custom builder tab.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/review-1911-that-takes-glock-mags-meet-the-stealth-arms-platypus/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/IMG_4785.jpg.webp

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/A70D4389-024C-4D8F-AD5B-C6A82F58750E.jpg.webp

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/IMG_4826-edited.jpg.webp

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/IMG_4872.jpg.webp

WobblyPossum
04-16-2023, 11:45 AM
The Humble Marksman review has posted. He fired about 500 rounds over two days. Gun functioned fine with factory ammo and choked with bulk reloads he said also shut down several other guns. There’s a small ledge on the right side of the frame that he said should have been radiused because it’s noticeable when shooting and is causing a callus. Everything else was positive. He had good things to say about the optic cut. When the reloads locked the gun up, he had to beat the optic to unlock the slide. He said the optic retained zero and didn’t loosen.

Tokarev
04-16-2023, 12:05 PM
The Humble Marksman review has posted. He fired about 500 rounds over two days. Gun functioned fine with factory ammo and choked with bulk reloads he said also shut down several other guns. There’s a small ledge on the right side of the frame that he said should have been radiused because it’s noticeable when shooting and is causing a callus. Everything else was positive. He had good things to say about the optic cut. When the reloads locked the gun up, he had to beat the optic to unlock the slide. He said the optic retained zero and didn’t loosen.

https://youtu.be/Pzq87LivBp8

spyderco monkey
04-16-2023, 09:10 PM
Another guy with 500rd down range and no malfunctions / happy customer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms/comments/12n0nji/first_500_rounds_have_been_great_zero/

https://i.ibb.co/5hk87VS/Screen-Shot-2023-04-16-at-10-11-07-PM.png

spyderco monkey
04-22-2023, 10:10 PM
Another promising review:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms/comments/12vneby/this_thing_shoots_first_range_report_wplatypus/

Finally got the Platypus out to shoot today. Had to do some work at the land so brought stuff with me for several projects: first shots on the Platypus, recoil spring weight testing for it and a Springfield 1911 RO 9mm, and first shots on the Glock Performance Trigger in my G45.

I also brought my suppressor (Octane 45, My Sidewinder 9mm should be free in a few months). More on that later.

I brought the “mixed 9mm ammo” I bought from the recent Centerfire systems deal. It’s literally a mix of leftover/spilled/department buyback ammo and runs from range grade FMJ, full lead bullets through to HST, Gold Dot, and even an ARX round - a mix of profile, weight, charge, etc. Completely random. I love this stuff for testing guns and gun changes.

The Platypus ate everything. Every round, every time. It’s so incredibly smooth shooting. After 44 rounds from the ETS mags I compete with, I was satisfied it would function. Next I switched to the 150gr Syntech I’ll use for competition. Again, it functioned flawlessly (and the recoil impulse on the 150gr is more like “poof” than “bang”). I zeroed the DPP then focused on accuracy. It will shoot rounds through the same hole if I shoot right.

Next I switched to recoil spring testing. The factory spring is 14 lbs, made for defense/duty ammo, and you can definitely feel it lifting the front of the gun with the recoil impulse, even with lighter competition loads. I bought a spring pack from Wolff with 9 to 14 lb springs. For this I only used the Syntech 150gr I’ll use at matches. For reference, I run 11 lb springs in my 9mm Glocks for competition. I started with the 9 lb spring. It functioned perfectly but felt too light - the timing felt just a bit off and the muzzle seemed to not settle down before the next shot. I switched to an 11 lb spring and tried again. Timing was better but the dot seemed to end up just a little lower than the original point of aim. I put in the 10 lb spring, tried again and got the feel I wanted. Everything cycled and the gun felt flat in my grip/recoil.

ldunnmobile
04-22-2023, 11:37 PM
Things I’d like to see

1. Some sort of palm swell grip option
2. Barrel porting option like Monsoons chunk port or Lucky 7 porting
3. Steel frame option
4. Holosun 509T direct mount option

Bergeron
04-26-2023, 07:05 PM
I am impressed with the number of positive reviews, particularly considering the combination of price point and "Glockteen-eleven" nature of the gun.

The full-rail aluminum Commander is just about exactly what I would be looking for in a 9mm 1911. We are suffering an embarrassment of riches in today's world. I let myself fall down the OZ9 rabbit hole, and LTT is offering dots for USPs and all the 92 variants, annnd now this thing arrives and appears well-reviewed.

If anyone gets one, please post pics so that this member of the peanut gallery can sigh wistfully.

spyderco monkey
04-27-2023, 10:11 PM
Some more Platypus content for morale :)

https://i.ibb.co/LtHMfN2/Platypus-Glock-mags-meme.jpg

Sensei
04-30-2023, 04:15 PM
Not sure how I feel about Cerakote being the only finish option. I’m holding out for a PVD/DLC option.

spyderco monkey
05-14-2023, 10:26 PM
Very favorable review of the Platypus. However he notes that the lack of a polymer grip makes it transfer more shock to the hand compared to polymer gripped 2011's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGRBuFodaOI

Archer1440
05-15-2023, 12:24 AM
Very favorable review of the Platypus. However he notes that the lack of a polymer grip makes it transfer more shock to the hand compared to polymer gripped 2011's.

9mm hand shock. Clearly, people are getting softer as the years pass. ;)

awp_101
05-15-2023, 06:47 AM
9mm hand shock. Clearly, people are getting softer as the years pass. ;)

For some of us it’s the mileage AND the age!🤣

Jim Watson
05-15-2023, 07:06 AM
Pity, I sold my Glock and its several magazines.
Guess I will have to just shoot my STI.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-24-2023, 12:22 PM
Some old farts around here are all excited by the gun. I asked why because we are a 10 round state. They said it had a great trigger. That's a lot of money for a trigger.

Tango
08-02-2023, 09:28 PM
Some old farts around here are all excited by the gun. I asked why because we are a 10 round state. They said it had a great trigger. That's a lot of money for a trigger.

If someone likes all the things a Platypus brings to the market and wants to carry it, rock on. I just want people to have a reliable, accurate sidearm, that is well maintained, with good training under their belt. In a 10 round state, I would be more drawn to a single stack 1911 with a 10 round mag but to each their own.

Rocket20_Ginsu
08-02-2023, 11:14 PM
I’m interested because I’m in a 10 rd state as well but have Glock preban mags…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark D
08-02-2023, 11:21 PM
I had the chance to put a mag through one of these recently. I really liked the gun. Good accuracy, and a crisp, nice trigger. I liked the Platypus much better than the Stacatto C2 I also shot recently.