PDA

View Full Version : USA production Glock 28.... with pictures.

rcbusmc24
03-22-2023, 12:43 PM

This just came in from one of our distributors...
I'm waiting not so patiently for a Glock 25 to show up...

awp_101
03-22-2023, 12:47 PM
I’m pretty Glock ignernt. Is it a G26 size .380?

TC215
03-22-2023, 12:56 PM
A batch of these is allegedly being released as a TALO exclusive.

rcbusmc24
03-22-2023, 01:02 PM
It is a 26 sized .380, the 25 is a 19 sized .380. This one is US made as the Austrian made ones couldn't make enough points to be imported supposedly. The 28 in the picture we just sold...

MTP
03-22-2023, 01:05 PM
These are blowback operated right ?

GJM
03-22-2023, 01:07 PM
Looks like a P365 .380 killer. :p

rcbusmc24
03-22-2023, 01:10 PM
These are blowback operated right ?
Yes

JEC
03-22-2023, 01:32 PM
Which distributor is shipping them now?

Thanks!

rcbusmc24
03-22-2023, 01:38 PM
This one came from Iron Valley.

M2CattleCo
03-22-2023, 01:45 PM
I saw one of those down in Mexico years ago.

If someone gave it to me I would throw it in the trash.

It’s bred from the ‘94 AWB and South American commies.

GJM
03-22-2023, 01:48 PM
Yes

I thought the 42 was not a blow back -- is this model different?

Tokarev
03-22-2023, 04:07 PM
It is a 26 sized .380, the 25 is a 19 sized .380. This one is US made as the Austrian made ones couldn't make enough points to be imported supposedly. The 28 in the picture we just sold...Sounds very innovative!

🥱

Joking aside I can see some market here for people with hand issues, arthritis, etc as long as the slide isn't terribly hard to rack.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TGS
03-22-2023, 04:49 PM
I thought the 42 was not a blow back -- is this model different?

Yeah. The 42 is locked breech. The 25 and 28 were quick, simple, efficient adaptations of the 26 and 19 to straight blowback 380 for sale in countries where 9mm is illegal for civilian use. It's a decades old gun, nothing new, just not previously sold in the US because they're kind of stupid for the product line.

I can't imagine a single reason to buy them in the US unless you're a hardcore Glock collector and just have to round out the stable.

HCM
03-22-2023, 04:54 PM
Sounds very innovative!

🥱

Joking aside I can see some market here for people with hand issues, arthritis, etc as long as the slide isn't terribly hard to rack.

My understanding is that similar to the P365 .380 since the Glock 25 and 28 are direct blowback they actually kick more than locked breech 9mm. The G42 is mild because it’s a locked breach.

radiogeek
03-24-2023, 12:54 PM
Here's the ATF's Import Points Worksheet... https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/factoring-criteria-weapons-atf-form-4590/download

Calibers up to .380 ACP are only award 3 points compared to 9mm or larger (10 points). That is usually enough difference that imported .380 don't make the points cutoff (75 points needed), based on other features. There was an LE exemption but not much LE interest, which accounts for the few examples floating around and trading paws from time to time until recently.

Glock (Ze Perfection) didn't make them in the USA until now, I suppose, because who wants a .380 AND blowback Glock when you can get a 9mm AND locked breech instead at your local corner gat shack, so the USA market wasn't there.

I think Glock making these in the USA right now isn't because of some sort of new-found USA domestic market... I once heard it was cheaper for Glock to manufacture in the USA and export to elsewhere, especially in South America and African markets, than it was to manufacture elsewhere and import to the USA.

crosseyedshooter
03-24-2023, 11:08 PM
My understanding is that similar to the P365 .380 since the Glock 25 and 28 are direct blowback they actually kick more than locked breech 9mm. The G42 is mild because it’s a locked breach.

P365-380 has a tilting barrel and very mild recoil.

BillSWPA
03-24-2023, 11:15 PM
Both Kel-Tec and a Ruger can produce very tiny tilt-barrel .380 pistols, Glock and Sig can produce not quite as tiny tilt barrel .380 pistols, and S&W can produce tilt barrel .380 EZ pistols. I do not understand a presently made straight blowback .380 unless it is based on a historical design and marketed on that basis.

Hambo
03-25-2023, 05:15 AM
Summation:

Glock made a fat .380 when it might have been relevant, but couldn't get them into the US. Now that the SIG P365 is the answer in .380/9mm, Glock doesn't do the smart thing (a 42X .380), instead they push their old fat ass design out the door and hope for the best.

Polecat
03-25-2023, 07:09 AM
I mean like why? Would like to see a 42 with more boolits. Also, dream of a true LCP like Pocket Glock and Pocket Sig. In .30 suoer carry, no less! My current favorite round🙂

GJM
03-25-2023, 10:29 AM
Summation:

Glock made a fat .380 when it might have been relevant, but couldn't get them into the US. Now that the SIG P365 is the answer in .380/9mm, Glock doesn't do the smart thing (a 42X .380), instead they push their old fat ass design out the door and hope for the best.

I bet five Pistol Forum bucks that Glock didn't "make anything" with this new model except a pistol that a distributor offered to buy a big number of. If they don't have time to get a 26 MOS out, I can't imagine them doing innovation around a tired .380 design.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-25-2023, 10:50 AM
IIRC, weren't the guns for countries where civilians couldn't have military calibers like the 9mms. That's why Italy had some 9x21 Glocks - or that's what I might have read. I also read that they were quite snappy due to the action type. Vague members from some old Glock annual or magazine.

I don't see the need for it if you could carry a 26 or 27. Didn't like my 27 BTW. Too snappy and the round didn't offer much more than a 9.

PNWTO
03-25-2023, 10:53 AM
I bet five Pistol Forum bucks that Glock didn't "make anything" with this new model except a pistol that a distributor offered to buy a big number of. If they don't have time to get a 26 MOS out, I can't imagine them doing innovation around a tired .380 design.

Unfortunately, nostalgia-driven sales really work well.

[I definitely haven’t had a PPK in my cart on multiple occasions.]

GJM
03-25-2023, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately, nostalgia-driven sales really work well.

[I definitely haven’t had a PPK in my cart on multiple occasions.]

Face it, the Glock brand is so strong that Glock could sell first Gen P mags or even M&P mags with the Glock logo, and sell pallets of them.

WDR
03-25-2023, 03:55 PM

I'm honestly surprised they bothered, unless they had a pile of parts to use up. USA is the wrong market for these guns. They may have some minor appeal to collectors and gun hipsters.

Kyle Reese
03-25-2023, 05:42 PM
Someone needs to make a Roland Special with one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M2CattleCo
03-26-2023, 05:23 PM
Face it, the Glock brand is so strong that Glock could sell first Gen P mags or even M&P mags with the Glock logo, and sell pallets of them.

People are brainwashed by Glock’s marketing. Their products aren’t getting better, but their reputation is somehow..

MandoWookie
03-26-2023, 05:43 PM
People are brainwashed by Glock’s marketing. Their products aren’t getting better, but their reputation is somehow..

I thought I remembered everyone crowing about how the Gen5 Glocks were actual big improvements over previous gens( with concurrent grousing that it messed with parts compatibility)?

TGS
03-26-2023, 05:52 PM
Someone needs to make a Roland Special with one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my college buddies runs Mad Pig Customs, the guys that started the whole tactical lever action scene, and typically do funny mods and cerakote jobs just for the sake of humor. Lots of customized Hi-Points, for instance.

I can definitely see them doing a Roland Special 25/28.

rcbusmc24
03-26-2023, 06:14 PM
So we got the OP pistol early through a sales rep mistake, They shouldn't have gone out yet. We didn't know that.... and broke the internet somewhat with our original instagram post.... The gun sold very quickly to some dude out west for.... more than it normally would or will in the future.... but not too much more. Even though this thing has zero practical use there are still many (most tbh....) that make purchasing decisions entirely based on what they think is cool or for their collection.... As someone around here likes to say, Gun companies are not in business to sell guns per se, they are in business to make money, and Glock is really really good at getting some to drink their Kool-Aid.

M2CattleCo
03-26-2023, 10:30 PM
I thought I remembered everyone crowing about how the Gen5 Glocks were actual big improvements over previous gens( with concurrent grousing that it messed with parts compatibility)?

Seemed like it was, but in the end it didn’t work out like that. They fixed one fatal flaw just to create a new different one.

Washed my hands of the brand. Again. Fooled twice. Duly shamed.

HCM
03-26-2023, 11:00 PM

They are big improvements over prior Gen Glocks. Testing by multiple agencies has produced objective data regarding accuracy and mean rounds between failures showing the service sized Gen 5s are the best Glocks yet. The person you quoted is not a Glock fan.

He’s not wrong about Glock marketing though. There is a contingent of rabid Glock fan boys who are equally upset that objective data shows the slim line Glocks are not the equal of the service size Glocks in terms of reliability. Not even close.

G19Fan
03-27-2023, 01:18 PM
They are big improvements over prior Gen Glocks. Testing by multiple agencies has produced objective data regarding accuracy and mean rounds between failures showing the service sized Gen 5s are the best Glocks yet. The person you quoted is not a Glock fan.

He’s not wrong about Glock marketing though. There is a contingent of rabid Glock fan boys who are equally upset that objective data shows the slim line Glocks are not the equal of the service size Glocks in terms of reliability. Not even close.

Agreed 100% had more issues with 3 slimline glocks in 3 years than 5 g19s and a g17 in 20 years

TheNewbie
03-27-2023, 10:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzC8jm4tXtU

TiroFijo
03-28-2023, 05:47 AM
I think they are now making the G28 in USA for economic/logistical reasons, not specifically to appeal to the US market...
As many have said before, a fat blowback in 380 when there are better 9 mm short recoil options makes no sense. The G25/28 are tilt barrels too, just not locked ;)

In the countries where people are restricted to 380 most do not want a super compact pistol but just useable ones, and G19/26 sized pistols fit the bill and have the look and feel of their renownedbig brothers. They never had the reputation for flawless function that the 9 mm have.
The reason Glock made the G25/28 blowbacks is simply because it was the fastest and cheapest way to modify the G19/26 for the 380, otherwise they would had to lighten dramatically the slide+barrel and run extensive tests.

Jim Watson
03-29-2023, 10:55 AM
The sole reason for Glock to set up to make the 25 and 28 in the USA is because they think Americans will buy them.

I await a paying customer's shooting report.
Is a G25/28 slide easier to rack than a 9mm G26/19?
Does it have less felt recoil than a locked breech 9mm?

If not, they have no objective purpose, but will probably sell.

echo5charlie
03-29-2023, 11:28 AM
The sole reason for Glock to set up to make the 25 and 28 in the USA is because they think Americans will buy them.

I await a paying customer's shooting report.
Is a G25/28 slide easier to rack than a 9mm G26/19?
Does it have less felt recoil than a locked breech 9mm?

If not, they have no objective purpose, but will probably sell.

I understand your point, but Talo is the entity that believed Americans will buy them - and then it will be only about 5,000 (I think that's the special order number for Glock).

I cannot vouch for how long Glock USA has been tooled to make these, but they will never be a cataloged item by Glock for the US commercial market.

MandoWookie
03-29-2023, 01:56 PM
Seemed like it was, but in the end it didn’t work out like that. They fixed one fatal flaw just to create a new different one.

What was the flaw? The only thing I recall from early in the rollout was the plating on the trigger group flaking and causing rough triggers.

I kind of lost interest early on because I'm quite happy with my Gen4s and have no compelling need to change.

MandoWookie
03-29-2023, 02:01 PM

I was interested in the slim Glocks(43x and 48), until I handled them and decided a slighlty thinner G19 wasnt really a need for me.
Longer term, the reports that they are much more fickle than the service guns reenforced that decision.

I am curious how they hold up compared to other small 9mms like the Shields and P365 though.

Jim Watson
03-29-2023, 02:01 PM
I understand your point, but Talo is the entity that believed Americans will buy them - and then it will be only about 5,000 (I think that's the special order number for Glock).

I didn't know it was one of those distributor specials. Still, 5000 is a lot compared to the usual run of 500 or less.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-04-2023, 11:05 AM
TFB did a review of the 28. Was positive in that it had lesser recoil and discussed whether it was a classic blow back. Discussed why to carry it with the 26s out there. Just for the lesser recoil in an easier to control configuration. That's the advantage over the small, equal capacity 380s like the Rugers.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/04/03/video-new-glock-28-full-review/

Since I shoot a 26 reasonably, not interested - maybe if old man hands get worse but not now.

HCM
04-04-2023, 11:27 AM
I was interested in the slim Glocks(43x and 48), until I handled them and decided a slighlty thinner G19 wasnt really a need for me.
Longer term, the reports that they are much more fickle than the service guns reenforced that decision.

I am curious how they hold up compared to other small 9mms like the Shields and P365 though.

They’re more fickle because they’re not slim G19s. They all use the G43 RSA so a G48 is like the G47 version of a G43 and the G43 system is just not as reliable or forgiving as the service sized guns.

SwampDweller
04-04-2023, 11:36 AM

I don’t get it. What “fatal flaw” do the service size Gen 5’s have? By and large in both individual and institutional large scale use they seem to be durable, reliable, and reasonably accurate. The track record is pretty dang good. What more is there to want?

Duelist
04-04-2023, 12:22 PM
TFB did a review of the 28. Was positive in that it had lesser recoil and discussed whether it was a classic blow back. Discussed why to carry it with the 26s out there. Just for the lesser recoil in an easier to control configuration. That's the advantage over the small, equal capacity 380s like the Rugers.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/04/03/video-new-glock-28-full-review/

Since I shoot a 26 reasonably, not interested - maybe if old man hands get worse but not now.

I might get one. My wife will shoot one magazine or less through a G26 before she’s done, and won’t shoot more that day usually. She will shoot her G42 for all of the bullets we take to the range. The G28 holds more rounds and might be a good house gun for her.

It’s a gun. It will work well for some folks, not so well for others.

BWT
04-04-2023, 12:28 PM
I don’t get it. What “fatal flaw” do the service size Gen 5’s have? By and large in both individual and institutional large scale use they seem to be durable, reliable, and reasonably accurate. The track record is pretty dang good. What more is there to want?

I was going to ask the same thing. I have three Gen 5’s and I guess I can’t observe the obvious.

M2CattleCo
04-04-2023, 02:21 PM
The triggers go bad.

MrInox
04-04-2023, 03:08 PM
Glock makes a US made 25/28 to fill a niche they thought needing filled (people who want absolutely every Glock model made) and those people will dig it……….it offers nothing for those of us who care about more than collecting glocks….

The LCP max is the current king of the micro hi cap 380 and it looks like Ruger will own that market segment until effectively challenged.

zaitcev
04-05-2023, 09:15 AM
The success of SIG P365-380 made both Ruger and Glock to introduce their own re-chamberings, the Securtiy-380 and Glock 26-380 aka G28. What otherwise would be a monkey-see-monkey-do, usual-late-to-market move by Glock is not quite that, because they had G28 in the stable for many years. In a way, they were a pioneer. But, they didn't bring it to the U.S. until SIG demonstrated just how much money was left untapped.

Personally I'm caught by surprise by the popularity of these guns. Historically, the market was hostile to these re-chamberings, just remember how much of a flop SIG P290RS-380 was. So, I expected a class-defining gun that exploits the characteristics of the .380 cartridge to dominate. And Ruger LCP MAX is a success, no doubt about it. But it's not enough of a success to prevent even its stable-mate Security-380 from happening.

Because Ruger sell both smaller and larger .380, it seems like G42X is not completely dead yet. But given how low-effort G28 was for Glock, it probably is dead after all. Which is a pity, really.

Velo Dog
04-05-2023, 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0x0JZr4Ykw

Mrgunsngear
04-05-2023, 06:54 PM

Yeah, it's not good...

No.6
04-05-2023, 08:17 PM
Yeah, it's not good...

Slightly different experience next door. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/04/03/video-new-glock-28-full-review/

cosermann
04-06-2023, 09:28 AM
Call me when Glock comes out with a higher capacity locked breach 380. I'm no longer very interested in blow back 380s.

SwampDweller
04-06-2023, 10:44 AM
The triggers go bad.

Can you expand on this a bit? Not something I’ve seen complained about here or elsewhere, including with well-broken-in ones with many thousands of rounds.

M2CattleCo
04-06-2023, 11:15 AM
Can you expand on this a bit? Not something I’ve seen complained about here or elsewhere, including with well-broken-in ones with many thousands of rounds.

It’s very common with the Gen5s. The The trigger gets very gritty, notchy, and heavy with use.

My pair of 2017 G19s did it, my pair of 2019 G17s did it. Glock rebuilt all of them several times, replaced both G17 frames, Robar did a full NP3 treatment on the 19s, nothing lasted more than about 5K rounds.

I never polished or modified anything, always shot lubed with Slip or Mil-spec CLP, never very dirty, no torture tests or anything dumb. Just basic range use.

TGS
04-06-2023, 11:41 AM
Managing my office's M variants and having attended a few in-house high round count courses of ~3,000 rounds, I haven't seen/heard of this crunchy trigger issue rearing its head. The breadth of my observation is fairly limited, though talking to an FI for another agency buying off the CBP Gen 5 contract with ~800 examples observed, he hasn't seen a single example of this issue.

5pins, Tokarev, Screwball, TCB, BehindBlueI's, TC215, have you seen this issue and at what rate?

Now, it's apparent from the internet that this was an issue, with a small number of guns, at one period of time a few years ago. I have a hard time believing it is a systemic issue, however. The M/Gen 5 Glock is the most widely issued single model of pistol in the history of American law enforcement. If it were that prevalent, we'd be hearing about it much more.

TGS
04-06-2023, 11:51 AM
Unrelated to the discussion about how Glocks suck and back to the thread topic.....

.....I think it's interesting that Glock didn't use the Gen 5 Glock 26 frame for this production run, which I imagine would've been the more efficient option since they don't make the old style frame anymore, not to mention it would've been the more desirable option by shooters.

5pins
04-06-2023, 01:17 PM
Managing my office's M variants and having attended a few in-house high round count courses of ~3,000 rounds, I haven't seen/heard of this crunchy trigger issue rearing its head. The breadth of my observation is fairly limited, though talking to an FI for another agency buying off the CBP Gen 5 contract with ~800 examples observed, he hasn't seen a single example of this issue.

@5pins (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=2029), @Tokarev (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=13817), @Screwball (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=10103), @TCB (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=12124), @BehindBlueI's (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=11374), @TC215 (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=11761), have you seen this issue and at what rate?

Now, it's apparent from the internet that this was an issue, with a small number of guns, at one period of time a few years ago. I have a hard time believing it is a systemic issue, however. The M/Gen 5 Glock is the most widely issued single model of pistol in the history of American law enforcement. If it were that prevalent, we'd be hearing about it much more.

I have probably went through over 800 Glocks this past month and the short answer is no, this is not a problem with Gen 5 Glocks.

HOWEVER, when we do encounter this problem, it has always been contributed to using some kind of "natural", "non-toxic", or "environmentally friendly" non-petroleum lubricant.

This is not a Glock problem, it is a lubricant problem. We have seen this with the P2000's, 870's, and M4's.

WobblyPossum
04-06-2023, 01:22 PM
My sample size is small (3 Gen 5 G19s run to 5k, 4k, and 3k respectively) but I haven’t had any issues with triggers getting grittier. I also haven’t heard any such issues from people I know in agencies issuing Gen5/M Glocks. I believe that this may have happened to a few people and a few guns but I haven’t ever seen evidence or even heard anecdotes that this is a widespread or common issue with Gen5/M Glocks. M2CattleCo, it sucks that you had this happen with a few guns but I think you might just be unlucky.

5pins
04-06-2023, 01:49 PM
My sample size is small (3 Gen 5 G19s run to 5k, 4k, and 3k respectively) but I haven’t had any issues with triggers getting grittier. I also haven’t heard any such issues from people I know in agencies issuing Gen5/M Glocks. I believe that this may have happened to a few people and a few guns but I haven’t ever seen evidence or even heard anecdotes that this is a widespread or common issue with Gen5/M Glocks. M2CattleCo, it sucks that you had this happen with a few guns but I think you might just be unlucky.

It's probably because he is using Slip 2000.

Frequently Asked Questions (slip2000.com) (https://slip2000.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions)

Are Slip 2000 lubricants petroleum based?

No. Slip 2000 lubricants are 100% pure synthetic. Our products contain no oils, petroleum distillates, silicone, or PTFE.

jh9
04-06-2023, 02:23 PM

Frequently Asked Questions (slip2000.com) (https://slip2000.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions)

Slip 2000's kind of common, though. And not really known (to me) to be an issue elsewhere. "A lube problem" maybe, but the fact that a common lube and a common pistol are not compatible is noteworthy. Especially since that seems like a regression. I don't ever recall hearing that I shouldn't use slip 2000 on gen3 or gen4 Glocks. At least it was common knowledge that you shouldn't use Hoppes #9 on nickel 1911s or revolvers.

That Agency X, Y and Z are all fielding a ton of guns with no problem but anybody can pick up a bottle of a common lube and basically set a timer to their fcg components going to shit seems like it's worth pointing out. This is the first time I've seen someone connect the dots, anyway. Are the people supporting Gen 5 Glocks in service now explicitly not using Slip 2000 to protect the guns? If not, that seems an awful lot like a happy accident more than anything.

Tokarev
04-06-2023, 02:47 PM
This is not a Glock problem, it is a lubricant problem. We have seen this with the P2000's, 870's, and M4's.

Frog Glue!

TCB
04-06-2023, 02:57 PM
I have not seen this issue myself with any of my personal Gen 5 guns, my work gun, or observed, heard about or been warned to be on the lookout for with any of our issues guns. I was also just out in Harper’s Ferry being certified as a FI and the issue was never discussed as something to be on the look out for.

TC215
04-06-2023, 03:04 PM

5pins, Tokarev, Screwball, TCB, BehindBlueI's, TC215, have you seen this issue and at what rate?

Our M’s don’t have the coated internals and I haven’t seen any issues. Mine has around 4,000 rounds through it. Like any LE agency, some of our guns are shot a lot, and some are shot the bare minimum. No problems with my POW Gen5’s.

I haven’t seen any issues with any of the fed M’s with the coated internals, including the SWAT guns that are shot quite a bit. Of course, those guns go back for maintenance periodically.

TGS
04-06-2023, 03:24 PM
Slip 2000's kind of common, though. And not really known (to me) to be an issue elsewhere. "A lube problem" maybe, but the fact that a common lube and a common pistol are not compatible is noteworthy. Especially since that seems like a regression. I don't ever recall hearing that I shouldn't use slip 2000 on gen3 or gen4 Glocks. At least it was common knowledge that you shouldn't use Hoppes #9 on nickel 1911s or revolvers.

That Agency X, Y and Z are all fielding a ton of guns with no problem but anybody can pick up a bottle of a common lube and basically set a timer to their fcg components going to shit seems like it's worth pointing out. This is the first time I've seen someone connect the dots, anyway. Are the people supporting Gen 5 Glocks in service now explicitly not using Slip 2000 to protect the guns? If not, that seems an awful lot like a happy accident more than anything.

Slip 2000 is our most commonly issued lube. I use it excusively. We have 2,000+ Glock 19Ms in use, in addition to 2000 Gen 4 Glock 26s and a few thousand Gen 3 Glock 19s.

jh9
04-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Slip 2000 is our most commonly issued lube. I use it excusively. We have 2,000+ Glock 19Ms in use, in addition to 2000 Gen 4 Glock 26s and a few thousand Gen 3 Glock 19s.

So not slip 2000 then. Do you think it's likely another lube or solvent that was causing issues with the coating flaking off earlier gen 5s?

Sorry for dragging this even further afield. I never heard about the gen 5s and the flaking being addressed and thought there was some known resolution I was unaware of. I'll take it that it's likely one of those unknown-unknowns never to be resolved because no one has managed to replicate the issue en masse and the conditions probably no longer exist. (i.e. Glock or a vendor altered coating/application; A bad batch of parts; Some random lube mfg put too much unicorn semen in a large batch of whatever lube was popular at the time, etc.)

BillSWPA
04-06-2023, 04:47 PM
Call me when Glock comes out with a higher capacity locked breach 380. I'm no longer very interested in blow back 380s.

I agree completely about straight blowback .380's, but the two videos posted above your post seem to question whether the G25 and G28 are straight blowback. The barrel appears to move back a short distance with the slide before tilting down. Are we sure that these pistols are straight blowback?

Screwball
04-06-2023, 05:11 PM

No issues here… qualification scores have improved since we got them. Haven’t heard of anyone complaining about the trigger.

Taking them apart… mixed bag there.

Even the new Speer ammo has been great. Winchester Ranger did have a handful of issues directly related to the ammo… but still wasn’t anything to write home about.

cosermann
04-06-2023, 07:59 PM
I agree completely about straight blowback .380's, but the two videos posted above your post seem to question whether the G25 and G28 are straight blowback. The barrel appears to move back a short distance with the slide before tilting down. Are we sure that these pistols are straight blowback?

I’m not sure now either after watching the vid. Looks like it could be a locked breech. Hmm.

pangloss
04-06-2023, 08:25 PM
Regarding crunchy triggers, my 19.5 practice gun has been somewhat problematic. It's an early Gen5 without forward slide serrations. I have 8.5K rounds through it and I am on trigger bar #4. I recently replaced the trigger bar, connector, and ejector/ejector housing. Trigger is as good as new now, actually a little better than when new. I use Breaker CLP and WeaponShield.

TFBTV reviewed the new G28. Looked like a tilt barrel locked breech pistol to me.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
04-06-2023, 10:00 PM

Haven't read the thread, just responding to the "mention" question.

I'm not aware of any issue with my department. I had heard early on during some eval guns that there were some issues at or around the 3k mark but if the gun didn't have the problem then it never would. I've not heard of any current or widespread concerns. That said, I don't have the 'in" at the range I used to. Manpower shifts, retirements, etc. have moved me further out of the know other than general run o' the mill scuttlebuttery.

42Willys
04-07-2023, 07:09 AM
Agree with previous comments observing that the barrel tilts on the 28. I don’t know how that was ever described as blowback.

zaitcev
04-07-2023, 01:21 PM
For those not strong in the taxonomy of gun actions, G28 is a one-part delayed blowback. This sort of design is uncommon because of the low delay factor it affords against the reciprocating mass. In reliable guns like that it's about 1:1.3. Meanwhile a "two-part" delay mechanism like a roller or lever delay can easily reach 1:3. The only other successful gun off the top of my head using the same principle is Reising SMG.[1]

Note that Ruger LCP II in .22LR uses a very similar profile and kinematics of the barrel and slide. But, it's a pure blowback regarding the keeping the chamber closed while bullet is in the barrel. The slide on it starts dragging the barrel back way into the cycle.

1: The Thompson AutoRifle is also an example, although it's a failure. It's a great pity that Gen. Thompson did not crack the code of the two-part delay, because he came very, very close. His rifle included a brass piece that could make a perfect second half, activated by a cam like CMMG RDB. But unfortunately its mass was insignificant, while in a proper 2-part delay it dominates.

RJ
04-07-2023, 01:48 PM
They’re more fickle because they’re not slim G19s. They all use the G43 RSA so a G48 is like the G47 version of a G43 and the G43 system is just not as reliable or forgiving as the service sized guns.

Can confirm.

TGS
04-07-2023, 02:33 PM
Agree with previous comments observing that the barrel tilts on the 28. I don’t know how that was ever described as blowback.

Probably because it's a blowback. Glock says it's a blowback.

The barrel tilts but isn't locked. It appears that the locking lug on top of the breech block is ground away, creating a ramp on the breechblock.

M2CattleCo
04-07-2023, 02:54 PM

I quit Slip 2000 and went to Mil-spec CLP. No change.

M2CattleCo
04-07-2023, 02:58 PM

Maybe I have unrealistic service life expectations.

My lowest round count 17 has over 5K, the other one over 14K.

My 19s both had over 8K.

I don’t care what anyone else has experienced, I have had every Gen5 Glock trigger I’ve owned go bad at around 4K rounds.

LOf’nL at the Performance Trigger too.

You heard it here first…

TGS
04-07-2023, 03:11 PM
That's great to hear, thanks.

echo5charlie
04-07-2023, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it's not good...

I think we will find that the G28 (and perhaps the G25 when it drops next month) may need .380 ammo that is a bit hotter than the norm. I'm guessing 95gr at a minimum of 1,000 fps for 'Glock reliability'. Not ideal if it pans out, but these were designed for a much different market than the US.

I grabbed my G28 today, I know somewhere I have some older US FMJ and JHP ammo that may (or may not) be loaded hotter than the stuff we find today. When I get a chance I will report back with my findings.

cosermann
04-08-2023, 07:37 AM
… I don’t care what anyone else has experienced, I have had every Gen5 Glock trigger I’ve owned go bad at around 4K rounds. …

Which parts have you needed to replace on the Gen5 to fix your high mileage trigger issue?

M2CattleCo
04-08-2023, 09:39 AM
Which parts have you needed to replace on the Gen5 to fix your high mileage trigger issue?

I think it’s the channel liner but I’m not sure.

Glock replaced both frames on my 17s, not sure what they did to the slides but they felt like new guns when I got them back.

I tried to fix the 19s myself after a Glock rebuild didn’t help. I had Robar plate everything in NP3 and it didn’t even make a little difference.

I was using Slip 2000 EWL to lube until I saw the government testing (it lubes about like water) , switched to the latest version of mil-spec clp and didn’t have any different results.

42Willys
04-09-2023, 03:06 PM
For those not strong in the taxonomy of gun actions, G28 is a one-part delayed blowback. This sort of design is uncommon because of the low delay factor it affords against the reciprocating mass. In reliable guns like that it's about 1:1.3. Meanwhile a "two-part" delay mechanism like a roller or lever delay can easily reach 1:3. The only other successful gun off the top of my head using the same principle is Reising SMG.[1]

Note that Ruger LCP II in .22LR uses a very similar profile and kinematics of the barrel and slide. But, it's a pure blowback regarding the keeping the chamber closed while bullet is in the barrel. The slide on it starts dragging the barrel back way into the cycle.

1: The Thompson AutoRifle is also an example, although it's a failure. It's a great pity that Gen. Thompson did not crack the code of the two-part delay, because he came very, very close. His rifle included a brass piece that could make a perfect second half, activated by a cam like CMMG RDB. But unfortunately its mass was insignificant, while in a proper 2-part delay it dominates.

Helpful, thank you

DLWinner
08-05-2023, 08:11 PM
I was finally able to get mine to the range today. It wasn’t pretty. Started with some PMC bronze. 45/50 rounds were stovepipes or Failure to extract.
After that, switched to Blazer Brass and magtech. No issues.
Tried some PMC again, lots of issues.
It definitely hates PMC.
I plan on shooting it some more next weekend and see how things go. Other than the ammo issue, it’s a fun gun.

echo5charlie
08-06-2023, 11:01 AM
I was finally able to get mine to the range today. It wasn’t pretty. Started with some PMC bronze. 45/50 rounds were stovepipes or Failure to extract.
After that, switched to Blazer Brass and magtech. No issues.
Tried some PMC again, lots of issues.
It definitely hates PMC.
I plan on shooting it some more next weekend and see how things go. Other than the ammo issue, it’s a fun gun.

Yeah, PMC is a no-go with my G28 as well.

DLWinner
08-06-2023, 11:47 AM
Yeah, PMC is a no-go with my G28 as well.

Good to know it’s not just mine.

After a few hundred more rounds, I’ll give it another try.

DLWinner
08-13-2023, 05:38 AM
Some more range work this weekend…. 100 rounds. Only 2 malfunctions this time. I’m pretty sure it’s just way over-sprung. Hopefully it works better soon.

G19Fan
08-13-2023, 07:24 AM
Looks like a P365 .380 killer. :p

Haha

DLWinner
09-30-2023, 05:09 AM
My G28 went back to Glock. Too many malfunctions to just keep shooting it. I hope it comes back working better.

PTSDog
10-01-2023, 06:26 AM
I have two. Started with 150 rounds of Armscor FMJ I had left over from a case I got a couple of years ago. First range session was quick as the first one ate all 150rds with no problems, in 5 mags. I put another 200 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJs though it a week later to run it on some qualifiers and adjust new sights. Everything hitting POA, lower recoil than my G26s, loving it. Got second G28, bought more mags. Ran the second G28 with 250 rounds of Speer Lawman and a Crown Royal bag of mixed HPs. Ate everything and after much consideration sent the second G28’s slide off to be milled for Holosun K footprint.

I have probably over $350 of Speer ammo through both of my G28 and I think the only malfunction I had was the slide not locking back once or twice, and I would have to say it’s me cause I do that with lots of my smaller pistols in the occasion I don’t mind my right thumb placement.

When the slide gets back from Battlewerkx, then #1’s grip is getting dropped off for a grip reduction and stippling and finger grooves removed.

So I love mine! Might even get a third to put up just in case. With my hands having more bad days than good, might be my old man pistol much sooner than I want it to be.

Jerry

DLWinner
11-05-2023, 05:27 AM
My G28 went back to Glock. Too many malfunctions to just keep shooting it. I hope it comes back working better.

Still not back yet.

echo5charlie
11-05-2023, 07:30 AM
Still not back yet.

Well, that's not good. I still haven't taken mine out since I found out that PMC was definitely a no-go.

DLWinner
11-05-2023, 08:08 AM
Well, that's not good. I still haven't taken mine out since I found out that PMC was definitely a no-go.

Yeah. Normally Glock ships back within 2 weeks. I don’t mind, I just want it to come back working. I have a feeling it won’t though.

Hambo
12-10-2023, 06:18 AM
I got to try a 28 this week, and I liked it more than I thought I would. Winchester FP ran through it like a machine gun.

My 42 has all but replaced my j-frame. I use +1 or +2 mags, so it's an 8-9 rounds pistol. If I want more ammo, a P365 with 12 round mags will beat out a 28.

So it worked, it was a lot of fun, but it's still in 3rd place.

GearFondler
12-10-2023, 12:12 PM
My 42 has all but replaced my j-frame. I use +1 or +2 mags, so it's an 8-9 rounds pistol.

What exactly are you using for the extra rounds? I've been lead to understand that all the +1 and +2 extensions for the 42 eventually cause failures.

Hambo
12-10-2023, 06:00 PM
What exactly are you using for the extra rounds? I've been lead to understand that all the +1 and +2 extensions for the 42 eventually cause failures.

Mags are all Glock 3, with Vickers +2 or Pearce +1. When the springs die, I'll replace them or buy new mags and add extensions. Unless Glock comes out with the an 8 or 9 round mag when they build the 42X. :rolleyes:

Gater
04-29-2024, 02:53 PM
Bumping this out of curiosity…any further experience/observations on these? Anyone try hydra shok deep in one?