PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 Questions

JDM
10-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Wandering around my LGS today, I spotted a near new Benelli M1 on the shelf. It has an 18" barrel, and a full length magazine (it extends all the way to the end of the barrel), standard stock, ghost ring sights, and it is HK marked. The gun was tagged $795...Im guessing I could probably harass that down to $700ish

I know very little about this particular scattergun, save for it is no longer in the catalogue (replaced by the M2?), and I've wanted one for a very long time.

Is there anything peculiar to this shotgun I should be aware of? Look out for? The price seems excellent for the condition the gun is in.

Furthermore, Are there better options for a defensive semi auto shotgun that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

GJM
10-13-2012, 07:25 PM
I have the M1 and M2. Don't believe what Benelli says about the inertial recoil system, it runs on pain (your pain). I am not recoil sensitive, but zeroing a micro Aimpoint on a M2 with Brenneke slugs was like being on the losing end of a fight. I also have a M4, which is softer shooting, but not reliable with a range of loads.

Far and away, my favorite semi-auto shotgun is the Beretta TX Storm. It is lightweight, feeds everything,modest in recoil, and has the best shotgun stock I have felt.

JDM
10-13-2012, 07:38 PM
I have the M1 and M2. Don't believe what Benelli says about the inertial recoil system, it runs on pain (your pain). I am not recoil sensitive, but zeroing a micro Aimpoint on a M2 with Brenneke slugs was like being on the losing end of a fight. I also have a M4, which is softer shooting, but not reliable with a range of loads.

Far and away, my favorite semi-auto shotgun is the Beretta TX Storm. It is lightweight, feeds everything,modest in recoil, and has the best shotgun stock I have felt.

I remember you mentioning the Storm a few weeks ago. I should look into that.

JDM
10-13-2012, 07:50 PM
GJM, I noticed Beretta states they will not sell mag extensions to cake eating civilians. This upsets me a little.

What's the street price on the storm? Everywhere I'm finding them they are right around 1K. I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra $300, and there isn't a Surefire fore end for it, which isn't a deal breaker, but that is a nice option to have.

GJM
10-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Briley sells a mag extension with pic rail, charging handle, and action release. As it comes, it holds between 4 and 5 in the tube depending how hard you push, but by removing the piece that retains the magazine spring, 5 easily go in the tube. I am just about to get my hand guard drilled to take a small piece of rail out of a Magpul illumination kit, so I can run a Scout Light or X300.

Think I paid $1000 or $1100.

I can't say enough about how much I like the Beretta, and basically stopped carrying my 14 inch 870 in the field this summer in AK. Even though I have the M2 and M4, they aren't even close to the Beretta for how I use it for protection against grizzly bears.

JDM
10-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Great info! Thanks, G!

JDM
10-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I suspect this has more to do with 18 USC 922r compliance and less to do Beretta disliking your choice of desserts and/or profession.

Cake is the entree.

GJM
10-13-2012, 09:13 PM
It is fairly convoluted, and each person should seek their own counsel, but it appears there are enough Briley made US parts to meet the threshold for increasing capacity. That said, I prefer how the Beretta handles with the stock tube -- but my interest is bears not 3 Gun.

Little Creek
10-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Wandering around my LGS today, I spotted a near new Benelli M1 on the shelf. It has an 18" barrel, and a full length magazine (it extends all the way to the end of the barrel), standard stock, ghost ring sights, and it is HK marked. The gun was tagged $795...Im guessing I could probably harass that down to $700ish

I know very little about this particular scattergun, save for it is no longer in the catalogue (replaced by the M2?), and I've wanted one for a very long time.

Is there anything peculiar to this shotgun I should be aware of? Look out for? The price seems excellent for the condition the gun is in.

Furthermore, Are there better options for a defensive semi auto shotgun that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

I have am M2 with the comfortech stock. It makes all the difference in the world in terms of recoil. I used to have a Montifeltro with a wooden stock. The Montifeltro nearly beat me do death. My M2 will run on one ounce extra light shells. It is hard to run an M2 enough to inspire me to clean it. It just runs clean.

EricP
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
While we're on the topic of shotguns, anyone have any experience with the FN SLP?

I have Mark I that I've been borrowing for the month of October to shoot a 3-gun match at the end of the month. Here are a few of my observations:
Once broken in and it did require one, it will shoot cheap Federal birdshot to 1 oz. slugs with the lighterweight piston as fast as you can pull the trigger.
If it was my gun, I would have the lifter welded up. I got my thumb stick in the loading port yesterday.
In comparison to a Mossberg 930 JM, it is substantially heavier.
While I like the flip up rear sight, it provides a busy sight picture when combined with goose neck rail. I don't know if you can take the rail off.
Loading slugs through the ejection port resulted in an occassional ftf. Slugs fed from the magazine feed fine.

If there is something specific you would like to know, ask away.

SamuelBLong
10-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I've got a M1S90 w/ ghost ring sights that you can play with if you like. It will run the cheap bulk pack stuff from wal-mart, but GJM is right... the thing kicks like a mule.

The gun you're considering can be "ghost loaded" with an extra round... the newer benelli m1/m2 cant unless you modify the bolt.

Also another thing to consider is the LOP. If you want to shorten the factory stock it is a PITA, but can be done. I think mesa tactical came out with something aftermarket but I haven't ever handled one of their stocks.