PDA

View Full Version : 1911 fans, look at what Alchemy has done

Robinson
03-15-2023, 10:14 PM
And I missed out on the first batch of them.

https://alchemy1911.com/product/combat-limited/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKE9HlfXLNM

NPV
03-15-2023, 10:43 PM
It’s a very cool release from Alchemy, I messaged theJanitor as soon as I saw it. Had the opportunity to grab one but unfortunately just too rich for me.

Borderland
03-15-2023, 11:07 PM
Guy should be selling new cars or run for office. He does a great job pushing this product.

Not my cup-o-tea though. Trigger guard and ambi safety is 3rd gen S&W ish. Didn't catch the price but if it's over 2.5K it will be hard sell. Why does does marketing always have to connect a new product to the past. Pachmayr? I never knew they ever built a 1911.

RevolverRob
03-15-2023, 11:34 PM
Guy should be selling new cars or run for office. He does a great job pushing this product.

Not my cup-o-tea though. Trigger guard is S&W ish and ambi-safety is universal marketing. Didn't catch the price but if it's over 2.5K it will be hard sell. Why does does marketing always have to connect a new product to the past. Pachmayr? I never knew they ever built a custom 1911.

Pachmayr Combat Specials are practically legendary in 1911 circles. An original will cost you 6-10k depending on condition.

Alchemy Combat Specials are ~5000 bucks. The sold the 9 they had in stock in less than 15 minutes. Not a hard sell at all.

2.5k doesn't buy anything from Alchemy, these are hand built guns, not something off the assembly line at Springfield or Kimber. They'll sell every one the 50 they intend to make.

Robinson
03-15-2023, 11:40 PM

Not my cup-o-tea though. Trigger guard and ambi safety is 3rd gen S&W ish. Didn't catch the price but if it's over 2.5K it will be hard sell. Why does does marketing always have to connect a new product to the past. Pachmayr? I never knew they ever built a 1911.

The Pachmayr Combat Special is revered by many as one of the ultimate custom 1911s, especially from that era. They were always limited in number but much sought after. You say you never knew about them and yet they are esteemed as a high point of the custom 1911 builders' art.

Not everyone's taste, sure. But this Combat Limited is a striking throwback to the Combat Special and they will sell out quickly each time a batch is released. The first batch of nine guns sold in three minutes at $4995 each. There will only be 25 total.

Texaspoff
03-16-2023, 06:10 AM
One of my first introductions to 1911's was my Dads Remington 1911 that somehow made it back from Nam with him, and my brother-in-laws, Pachmayr combat special, which he still owns. I have always had a preference for two toned 1911' because of that, and this is a very cool tribute to that particular pistol. Well done, and I agree the demand on these will far outweigh to production numbers.

TXPO

El Cid
03-16-2023, 06:52 AM
Meh. Only way I would tolerate a squared off trigger guard is with a rail to mount a light. As configured the gun won't fit any of my many 1911 holsters.

RevolverRob
03-16-2023, 07:24 AM
If someone doesn't dig it - I get it. The Pachy Combat Specials weren't for everyone and this is a close clone to that. But let's just be real for a moment folks. Suggesting you're not interested because your $5,000 handgun won't fit any of your existing $250 holsters is silly.

If you're dropping five grand on a pistol, I doubt the cost of some new leather is of concern.

WobblyPossum
03-16-2023, 07:38 AM
I love the two-toned look of a blued slide over a chromed frame. I dislike the squared trigger guard and the text on the slide. I’m also not the target market for a $5,000 custom 1911. I have no doubt they’ll sell every one of the 25 that will be released within minutes of them being available for purchase. If I was going to buy one of their pistols, I’d probably get a regular Prime or Prime Elite with ball cuts added and the frame and small parts chromed. That would save about $1,000 off the cost of the Combat Limited.

Trooper224
03-16-2023, 08:18 AM
Oh my, so sexy. A Combat Special was one of my dream guns back in the bronze age, still is really.

I like everything about it, except the square trigger guard. That's really an signature Armand Swenson feature rather than Pachmayr, and why no checkering on the front of the trigger guard? Come on, if you're going retro do it right. Never get out of the boat, unless you're going all the way. It looks retro cool, but I dislike it due to the need for yet another holster. The same reason Springfields Emissary doesn't appeal to me. Still, it's a beautiful gun and I'm glad it exists. It will make those who recieve it very happy.

It does give me a sad though. I remember Pachmayr as a major pioneer in the custom 1911 world, not just a product label on shoddily off shore produced rubber grips.

Borderland
03-16-2023, 09:00 AM
If someone doesn't dig it - I get it. The Pachy Combat Specials weren't for everyone and this is a close clone to that. But let's just be real for a moment folks. Suggesting you're not interested because your $5,000 handgun won't fit any of your existing $250 holsters is silly.

If you're dropping five grand on a pistol, I doubt the cost of some new leather is of concern.

Not a problem. I doubt any of them will ever leave the climate controlled safe.

Trooper224
03-16-2023, 09:08 AM

Worse case scenario: I log onto YouTube and see some wog putting it in a Kydex holster. 😞

Borderland
03-16-2023, 09:55 AM
Pachmayr Combat Specials are practically legendary in 1911 circles. An original will cost you 6-10k depending on condition.

Alchemy Combat Specials are ~5000 bucks. The sold the 9 they had in stock in less than 15 minutes. Not a hard sell at all.

2.5k doesn't buy anything from Alchemy, these are hand built guns, not something off the assembly line at Springfield or Kimber. They'll sell every one the 50 they intend to make.

I had no idea. I guess that's why I hang out here.

Evil_Ed
03-16-2023, 10:08 AM
Beautiful gun, but...not for me. I never saw them so much as a "combat" gun as a "gaming/target" gun - the adjustable rear sight for me is a no-go for what I would consider a "combat" gun. At least, not that adjustable sight - too fragile, too easy to bang into something and maladjust. Novak's adjustable rears are better protected, if looking a bit generic these days. The big old Bomar/Kensight is just not something I'd want to carry on a daily CCW basis.

For a "combat game" gun though, it's a great way to fly...and of course the classic two-tone.

I wish them the best of luck; they'll for sure sell a pile of them. Just like if someone re-popped a 1957 Chevy with a restomod underpinning but the classic body and marketed it to a bunch of hotrod and muscle car groupies...they'll sell a bunch of these to hardcore 1911 nerds, and to people who couldn't get one of the originals but will now have a chance to get an updated homage/copy that they could actually go out and use (let's face it, their asking price isn't that far off field from most semi-customs out there...)

Robinson
03-16-2023, 11:36 AM
Beautiful gun, but...not for me. I never saw them so much as a "combat" gun as a "gaming/target" gun - the adjustable rear sight for me is a no-go for what I would consider a "combat" gun. At least, not that adjustable sight - too fragile, too easy to bang into something and maladjust. Novak's adjustable rears are better protected, if looking a bit generic these days. The big old Bomar/Kensight is just not something I'd want to carry on a daily CCW basis.

For a "combat game" gun though, it's a great way to fly...and of course the classic two-tone.

I wish them the best of luck; they'll for sure sell a pile of them. Just like if someone re-popped a 1957 Chevy with a restomod underpinning but the classic body and marketed it to a bunch of hotrod and muscle car groupies...they'll sell a bunch of these to hardcore 1911 nerds, and to people who couldn't get one of the originals but will now have a chance to get an updated homage/copy that they could actually go out and use (let's face it, their asking price isn't that far off field from most semi-customs out there...)

Yep, ACW marketed this gun as a "Restomod" -- based on a classic design with classic looks but updated performance. The original Combat Specials were indeed marketed to enthusiasts and people competing in the so-called "combat" shooting sports.

The gun is certainly expensive and not for everyone. But ACW definitely nailed the looks and features of the originals. Who knows, maybe their next restomod will be a Swenson.

Trooper224
03-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Yep, ACW marketed this gun as a "Restomod" -- based on a classic design with classic looks but updated performance. The original Combat Specials were indeed marketed to enthusiasts and people competing in the so-called "combat" shooting sports.

The gun is certainly expensive and not for everyone. But ACW definitely nailed the looks and features of the originals. Who knows, maybe their next restomod will be a Swenson.

It better have an S&W rear sight, or it ain't no Swenson.

45dotACP
03-16-2023, 12:20 PM
Man I'd probably never buy one, but it warms my heart to see.

I love the look so much, I got one of my 1911s two tone cerakoted so I could put my Pachmayr grips on it and feel cool.

With the Warren sights on mine, it looks nothing like a Combat Special...it's just my little homage.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

farscott
03-16-2023, 12:37 PM
Nowadays $5k for a semi-custom 1911 that the Alchemy fits within is pretty much middle of the road. Heck, Les Baer has "Custom Carry" pistols with MSRP above $4k, and those pistols lack the finish and cachet of Alchemy. True customs from masters like Ted Yost are well over $10k right now. The last full build from him that I saw cost the guy who commissioned it a bit under $15k. Many of the Infinity builds are now near $10k. The 1911 market has exploded since 2019.

COVID and inflation have really impacted demand and pricing in the 1911 market.

flyrodr
03-16-2023, 01:48 PM
It better have an S&W rear sight, or it ain't no Swenson.

Some years ago, my then early 20s-aged son went to the range with me. He was pretty much ho-hum about which gun he shot, so I said, "Try this one, it's about 15 years older than you are." He was in the lane next to me, and I wasn't paying that much attention to him, until he came over, somewhat excited, and said "Hey Dad, this guy just asked me it this gun is a 'real Swenson'. I told him I was pretty sure it was, that my Dad had had it a long time. He said it looked like one, with the squared trigger guard and S&W rear sight." I said "Yep, it is."

I think my "cool factor" (which at best is lukewarm, by my own estimation) just increased in my son's eyes that day.:cool:

Trooper224
03-16-2023, 02:53 PM
Some years ago, my then early 20s-aged son went to the range with me. He was pretty much ho-hum about which gun he shot, so I said, "Try this one, it's about 15 years older than you are." He was in the lane next to me, and I wasn't paying that much attention to him, until he came over, somewhat excited, and said "Hey Dad, this guy just asked me it this gun is a 'real Swenson'. I told him I was pretty sure it was, that my Dad had had it a long time. He said it looked like one, with the squared trigger guard and S&W rear sight." I said "Yep, it is."

I think my "cool factor" (which at best is lukewarm, by my own estimation) just increased in my son's eyes that day.:cool:

That moment when your child realizes you had a whole life they know nothing about. 😀

gtmtnbiker98
03-16-2023, 04:47 PM
Painfully redundant and annoying video.

Archer1440
03-16-2023, 06:09 PM
Beautiful gun.

The pitchman, on the other hand, had the unfortunate effect of diminishing my impression of the company.

Reminds me of the Foxworthy routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZclYsVVzMw

I don't care how accomplished that neurosurgeon is, that just isn't a confidence builder.

Joe in PNG
03-16-2023, 06:46 PM
To be fair, being a good gun builder doesn't also make one a good pitchman.

M2CattleCo
03-16-2023, 10:22 PM
Retro 1911s are cool and that one is tops!

JSGlock34
03-16-2023, 10:23 PM
Love the two tone.

RevolverRob
03-17-2023, 03:54 PM
To be fair, being a good gun builder doesn't also make one a good pitchman.

Pitchman is the Alchemy "Millenial Sales Guy" - not the smith.

I think he's pretty amusing. And importantly his job is dealing with sales and promotion to help keep Rob Schauland and Crew working.

If anyone has seen Rob Schauland's videos - he's not exactly known for his bed side manner, either:

p/CVLXyKZD1mg

45dotACP
03-17-2023, 05:20 PM
Pitchman is the Alchemy "Millenial Sales Guy" - not the smith.

I think he's pretty amusing. And importantly his job is dealing with sales and promotion to help keep Rob Schauland and Crew working.

If anyone has seen Rob Schauland's videos - he's not exactly known for his bed side manner, either:

p/CVLXyKZD1mgSent my Alchemy back to Rob because it had a tendency to print to one side because of what I think was some uneven barrel lug contact. It was aggravating, considering the price of the gun

Rob called me personally, said he chewed out the guy who let the gun leave his shop that way and re fit a whole new barrel to the gun. Felt bad about the poor guy getting chewed out lol.

I find him both amusing and an excellent guy to do business with. My Alchemy Prime has spent a good deal of time in a holster, and I'd never part with it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Archer1440
03-18-2023, 01:34 AM
That guy absolutely reset the negative impression I had from the first one. I could definitely see myself doing business with him.

Jim Watson
03-18-2023, 08:22 AM
I have never before seen a gunmaker have to defend his product. Seems true that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Rob says he sold the six thus far finished in three minutes. I am sure there will be a scramble for the rest of the type.