PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with first-gen Steyr M9s?

MattyD380
03-13-2023, 07:40 PM
There’s some dirt cheap surplus M9s floating around—first gens with no rail and a weird manual safety above/front of the trigger.

I read there was an extractor change in subsequent generations that may or may not be reflected in these. Anyone have any experience with the first gen Steyrs? Do they run? I mean, considering they’re LE surplus… you’d think they would. But you never know.

revchuck38
03-14-2023, 03:58 AM
I had an M40. The fix for the extraction issue was to insert a 1911 plunger tube spring inside the extractor spring, it added the necessary tension. After I did that, the gun ran well, it was decently accurate too. I traded it off for an M&P40 as soon as the M&Ps came out. I just couldn't get used to the grip angle and sights on the Steyr.

MattyD380
03-14-2023, 06:59 PM
I had an M40. The fix for the extraction issue was to insert a 1911 plunger tube spring inside the extractor spring, it added the necessary tension. After I did that, the gun ran well, it was decently accurate too. I traded it off for an M&P40 as soon as the M&Ps came out. I just couldn't get used to the grip angle and sights on the Steyr.

Thanks for the input. I was tied up in meetings all morning and I missed the cutoff for ordering (Mosin Crate—it’s weird). So… I guess I won’t find out. But they’re cool guns. I’d like to try one ant some point.

fatdog
03-14-2023, 07:30 PM
<<<wrong model I was reporting on>>> I don't know that one

Rock185
03-15-2023, 03:32 PM
If you get another opportunity to buy one, and if my experience is typical, I wouldn't worry about reliability. My first Gen. M9 functioned flawlessly with any and all ammunition types I used in it. The grip fit me better than any of the Glocks I had. I might have kept it, except that I owned mine during the time of Clinton Assault Weapons Ban. I couldn't get anything except 10-rd. magazines, unless I got the chief to sign a letter for me. The Steyr was not one of our approved weapons, so I didn't bother trying that..

revchuck38
03-15-2023, 03:44 PM
^^^^I still have five of the ten-round mags in .40. I don't know anyone who would take them. :rolleyes:

cyberiad
03-15-2023, 04:11 PM
I had one of the later 9mm models around the mid-2000s. I never measured it, but the slide seemed to be as wide as a Glock 21, not that that's bad. The grip was too smooth, and I didn't like the grip angle. Hated the trapezoid sights and replaced them with night sights. I shot some matches with it. The magwell opening is extremely narrow. It did shoot well but since it didn't do anything better than half a dozen pistols I already had, and it had a lot of (relatively minor) negatives (in my view) I sold it.

JonInWA
03-15-2023, 04:21 PM
I had a first Generation M40, with high hopes for it. It want back to Steyr for a trigger upgrade early in my ownership. Ergos were good, and I liked my index with it. However, it continued to have operational issues, centering on, if not exclusively extraction related.

It could have been a product improved Glock G23; unfortunately, it wasn't.

If you don't want to go the Glock route, I'd suggest looking at HK's striker fired VPs. The current generation of Steyrs are probably pretty decent, but they've achieved very little market and organizational traction by my observation. Given a choice between a current Steyr or a current SIG P320, I'd probably choose the Steyr.

Best, Jon