PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye anyone?

P.E. Kelley
03-11-2023, 08:09 PM
NRA calls it (bullseye) Precision Pistol and at a Sectional Champ one will often see International Standard Pistol, Int.Free Pistol and Int.Air Pistol events.
Shooting all events is a full day of shooting.
90 rounds of 22 with a Dot Gun, 60 and 60 of 22 with a iron guns and 60 more 177 pellets with irons. All shot SHO.
It was a good day!

UNK
03-11-2023, 08:19 PM
Congratulations. Its a dying art Im afraid. What a shame as its an excellent sport.

Malamute
03-11-2023, 09:32 PM
Congratulations. Its a dying art Im afraid. What a shame as its an excellent sport.

Indeed, Id like to try it.

After watching some old hands shooting one handed and doing phenomenal work, I started doing most practice one handed, including the 300 yard plate.

Im certain Id not be in any danger of displacing any top shooters, but it would be fun to shoot it.

P.E. Kelley
03-11-2023, 09:33 PM

While we had a full relay of 20 shooters we only had the ONE relay. Things have changed over the years I've been playing.
It is as you said "an excellent sport"

Trooper224
03-12-2023, 01:38 AM
Congrats! One of my favorite games.

Jeff22
03-12-2023, 05:18 PM
We used to have a Monday night Bullseye league at the Sportsman’s Club.

NRA National Gallery Course at 50 feet on B-2 slow fire and B-3 timed & rapid fire targets. Usually had 15-20 shooters.

I used a High Standard Supermatic Citation with a 7-1/2 inch barrel. Grips by Randall Fung. Used Federal Gold Medal match ammo most often although that gun would group tight with anything.

HeavyDuty
03-12-2023, 06:14 PM
I started pistol competition shooting Hardball back in high school but transitioned to PPC pretty quickly - I think I only shot Bullseye for one or two seasons. I could see getting back into it, but I’m not sure my eyes will cooperate. That’s a great accomplishment!

P.E. Kelley
03-13-2023, 01:22 PM
Indeed, Id like to try it.

After watching some old hands shooting one handed and doing phenomenal work, I started doing most practice one handed, including the 300 yard plate.

Im certain Id not be in any danger of displacing any top shooters, but it would be fun to shoot it.

What is holding you back?

P.E. Kelley
03-13-2023, 01:23 PM
We used to have a Monday night Bullseye league at the Sportsman’s Club.

NRA National Gallery Course at 50 feet on B-2 slow fire and B-3 timed & rapid fire targets. Usually had 15-20 shooters.

I used a High Standard Supermatic Citation with a 7-1/2 inch barrel. Grips by Randall Fung. Used Federal Gold Medal match ammo most often although that gun would group tight with anything.

Wow! Thats cool, I have a couple sets of Fung Grips!

Jeff22
03-13-2023, 01:41 PM
I have always preferred action shooting sports (IPSC/USPSA and IDPA) but every year around Halloween the local clubs should stop outdoor matches for the winter (I’m in Wisconsin) and my focus would shift to small bore bullseye pistol and our Winter League on Monday nights (although they shot on Monday nights all year long, the Winter League was more formal and even involved little trophy’s at the end)

P.E. Kelley
03-13-2023, 02:56 PM
I have always preferred action shooting sports (IPSC/USPSA and IDPA) but every year around Halloween the local clubs should stop outdoor matches for the winter (I’m in Wisconsin) and my focus would shift to small bore bullseye pistol and our Winter League on Monday nights (although they shot on Monday nights all year long, the Winter League was more formal and even involved little trophy’s at the end)

I started in IHMSA and moved into IPSC and Bullseye later on. I just like shooting every flippin game I can.

My area runs about the same schedule. October through March is indoor bullseye and Monday nights too!

Malamute
03-13-2023, 03:27 PM
My top speed is somewhere around brisk mosey right now, a shooting game where you can stand still sounds pretty good. :D

Exiledviking
03-14-2023, 03:48 PM
Nice shooting, P.E!

My local club started a bullseye match about 6 months ago and I've shot two matches thus far. It's been good practice for me as I'm NOT a bullseye shooter. Fortunately, they allow us to use both hands or SHO as we please. I'd say 2/3rds the shooters use both hands like me.
We fire 90 rounds of .22LR and the 90 rounds of CF. In the two matches I've shot, I was in the half of the scores. While I struggle with iron sights due my vision, my favorite bullseye gun is the 6" Clark Custom Colt longslide in .45 ACP built in 1969. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230314/16fa11b85a89595c2bba64feb92de700.jpg

Exiledviking
05-20-2023, 05:00 PM
Shot the local bullseye match today using my Ruger Ruger Mark II/Volquartsen complete 22/45 frame with a C-More 6 MOA dot and scored 820 with it. Shot a 780 IIRC with the above 6" Clark Custom Colt longslide in .45 ACP using a 185 gr JHP over 5.2 grs of W231.
When the match was over I shot 7 test rounds of 200 gr Bear Creek moly SWCs over 4.2 grs of AA#2 to test for function as these are the first SWCs I've loaded in .45 ACP. I had one failure to eject due to, I believe, not enough powder in the round. I'll have to test for accuracy at different loads in the future. The AA#2 does not appear to burn as cleanly at that low of a charge as W231 does.

CSW
05-21-2023, 07:09 AM
Excellent shooting P.E.

Back in the late 90's-early 2000's, I shot bullseye with a 6" Smith model 14.
Loads of fun!

P.E. Kelley
05-25-2023, 11:54 AM
Excellent shooting P.E.

Back in the late 90's-early 2000's, I shot bullseye with a 6" Smith model 14.
Loads of fun!

Revolver B-Eye is a real challenge! Bravo!

CSW
01-06-2024, 07:49 AM
My bullseye companion.

When I purchased it, police bullseye leagues were very popular in northern NJ. As the police mechanic for my town, I shot with the cops.
We shot Federal nyclads by the thousands.
If I recall correctly, most of the guys were having model 15's and 12's converted to bullseye guns, by a guy named Alex Piccart. I never did a thing to that 14, it shoots so well.

It was owned supposedly by a Georgia State Trooper before it came to me. Definitely a lifelong keeper.

farscott
01-06-2024, 08:11 AM
Rimfire Bullseye was my original shooting competition. It is a ton of fun while also being the most frustrating. Hate when I throw the last shot in a ten-round string.

Duelist
02-11-2024, 08:47 PM
Recently purchased a Ruger Competition Target MKII. Now to find a Bullseye/Precision Pistol match to shoot it in.

JRV
02-14-2024, 08:58 AM
Bullseye and Air Pistol are great sports. i have been shooting precision pistol sports almost exclusively for three years—I’m somewhat medically disabled, so the run and gun sports are off the table and I can no longer support shotguns or rifles with my left arm. I started shooting 10m Air Pistol this winter as a component of bullseye training..

I still love a good indoor 900 or outdoor 2700, but the precision requirements of 10m Air Pistol and the shorter match duration have quickly made it my favorite. The AP inner 10 (“X”) is equal to a 0.89” at 50 yards (just over HALF the size of the 50-yard B6 X-ring). The AP outer 10-ring is equal to a 2” ring at 50 yards (closer to the 1.5” B6 X-ring in size than the 3” B6 10-ring). It’s an iron sights only, slow-fire only discipline that requires a complete focus for over an hour of uninterrupted shooting.

Everyone should try it at least once. It’s humbling.

Looking at the other international disciplines now as well—free pistol, standard pistol, and rapid fire pistol. Non-collegiate matches are few and far between stateside, but the talent at the top of those matches is Olympic-grade.

revchuck38
02-14-2024, 09:40 AM
JRV - I'd love to find standard and/or centerfire pistol matches, but I've had no luck. Is there a website out there that lists them?

JRV
02-14-2024, 10:46 AM
JRV - I'd love to find standard and/or centerfire pistol matches, but I've had no luck. Is there a website out there that lists them?

The largest online resource I have found is USA Shooting’s schedule of events. Some smaller club and league-level events are announced on TargetTalk.

I have also talked to some scholastic coaches that I met shooting air pistol. For example, I never knew my old college had an open-to-everyone air and standard pistol match every January until talking to those folks.

DDTSGM
02-14-2024, 10:16 PM

https://southwestlouisianarifleandpistolclubinc.wildaprico t.org/Bullseye-(Precision-Pistol)

revchuck38
02-15-2024, 05:38 AM
https://southwestlouisianarifleandpistolclubinc.wildaprico t.org/Bullseye-(Precision-Pistol)

Thanks. I was a member there back when I shot Conventional Pistol (2700). They don't shoot International matches.

JRV
02-15-2024, 07:41 AM
revchuck38 you can also use the NRA competition search function filtered by “International” sports. That will show where the NRA-sanctioned standard pistol, air pistol, and free pistol matches are.

Edited to add map photo: NRA sanctioned events are few and far between. With the exception of a single open-to-the-public club match held in February at the Citadel, NRA-sanctioned air, standard, and free pistol events don’t exist in the Southeast. They’re clustered around DC, New England, the Midwest, and the West Coast.

revchuck38
02-15-2024, 08:30 AM
JRV - I tried that earlier this morning and came up with about the same info as on the map - the closest one is 681 miles away in SC. Bah, humbug!

Danko
02-17-2024, 07:19 PM
Congratulations! very nice accomplishment!

JRV
02-21-2024, 11:47 AM

This specific picture cost me money as of yesterday. I wanted a heavier .22 upper with a longer sight radius and a sharply undercut front sight. Nelson Custom is making it happen.

P.E. Kelley
04-23-2024, 01:40 PM
This specific picture cost me money as of yesterday. I wanted a heavier .22 upper with a longer sight radius and a sharply undercut front sight. Nelson Custom is making it happen.

Happy? to help! hahahah. You like good stuff as do I. Great minds eh?

Best
PK

JRV
04-23-2024, 01:56 PM
Happy? to help! hahahah. You like good stuff as do I. Great minds eh?

Best
PK

You saw this one over on Instagram. Nelson Custom moved fast! I did not expect delivery before the CMP Eastern Games, but they made it happen. After the Games are over, this will get mounted and tested for any tuning it might need.

PNWTO
04-23-2024, 04:56 PM
My area runs about the same schedule. October through March is indoor bullseye and Monday nights too!

I believe we’re in the same area, would you be so kind as to PM me the place? I know Sun Valley does, or did, Steel Challenge along with USPSA.