PDA

View Full Version : .30 super carry

Polecat
03-02-2023, 05:02 PM
I am gettin one! Rented a Shield in super carry, and loved it. Loud yes, but soft recoil almost zero muzzle climb. This is so much better than I expected from youtube. I was a big naysayer, but I can’t wait.

What other platforms are on the horizon? I have read Glock and Sig. This is a great round for the micro guns.

Dave

Velo Dog
03-05-2023, 08:05 PM
I'm waiting for someone to offer a Shield Plus .22 LR conversion kit

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/10-22-lr-conversion-kits-for-your-favorite-edc-pistol/

Then I might continue to actually shoot the gun once the novelty wore off
or after Federal neglects and virtually discontinues the 30 Super Carry in a few years
like they have with 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum

Joe in PNG
03-05-2023, 08:08 PM
Maybe someone will introduce a .30 French Longue conversion barrel for the Shield?

JonInWA
03-05-2023, 08:26 PM
I'd much rather see ample and price-reduced quantities of 9mm, .40, .45 ACP and .38 Special/.357 Magnum than see (and/or support) a snowflake caliber of marginal necessity.

Best, Jon

pangloss
03-06-2023, 09:37 AM
I'm waiting for someone to offer a Shield Plus .22 LR conversion kit

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/10-22-lr-conversion-kits-for-your-favorite-edc-pistol/

Then I might continue to actually shoot the gun once the novelty wore off
or after Federal neglects and virtually discontinues the 30 Super Carry in a few years
like they have with 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum

Seriously. 32H&R is almost impossible to find and a dollar a round when I can find it. I don't have a .327, thankfully. Even .32 S&W longs are $30-40 per box.

I would love to see something along the lines of a Shadow Systems CR920 in 30SC, but I don't need another $0.70 per round pistol.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Polecat
03-06-2023, 01:42 PM
I think it will come down in price as more guns come out for it. Again, I thought it was pointless until I shot it. I rented the shield twice before I jumped. 14 rounds with flat baseplate, 17 with the little extension. Very controllable.

Gadfly
03-06-2023, 02:22 PM
I have two revolvers in 32-20 from my grandfather... never shot by me, as I di not want to pay a ridiculous amount for a few rounds.

Some cartridges' are breakout stars, and live a long life. Some are breakout stars and live a good life, but then begin to fade out (looking at you .40sw)...

I thing .30SC was dead on arrival... A round no one was looking for, to answer a question no one asked.

cosermann
03-06-2023, 03:06 PM
Will be interesting to check in again on this in 10 years. Not holding my breath for the 30SC . . .

HTM
03-06-2023, 04:24 PM
A perfectly good waste of small pistol primers. IMHO

JRB
03-06-2023, 04:27 PM
I know I'm beyond niche and weird in these things, but I think a cartridge like this has tons of potential for the 'old man gun' option both for pistols and a PCC.
It all seems so silly compared to 9mm, until someone you love struggles with severe arthritis and reduced strength in their grip, hands, wrists, and arms.

Given the .30SC specs I'd bet a blowback PCC in .30SC would be lighter and much softer shooting with a much lighter action spring vs a comparable 9mm. Same for an SMG but that'd be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and that nobody asked for, aside for having a lot of very expensive but fun mag dumps. I'd bet a 32rnd UZI magazine could hold 40+ rounds of .30SC.

Thanks for making the leap, Polecat I know it isn't what most folks care about but I'm looking forward to your additional feedback & experience with the 30SC.

Velo Dog
03-06-2023, 09:22 PM
I think a cartridge like this has tons of potential for the 'old man gun' option both for pistols and a PCC.
It all seems so silly compared to 9mm, until someone you love struggles with severe arthritis and reduced strength in their grip, hands, wrists, and arms.

Given the .30SC specs I'd bet a blowback PCC in .30SC would be lighter and much softer shooting with a much lighter action spring vs a comparable 9mm.

Some 9x19mm ammo has less recoil than 30 Super Carry

... and is 20 cents a round cheaper to boot
https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-100-grain-ftx-hornady-critical-defense-lite-250-rounds

30 Super Carry can be HARDER to rack and load to capacity than similar 9x19mm pistols

I wanted a better "old man gun" cartridge, but the 30 Super Carry ain't it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LSmmdO5FbU

Velo Dog
03-06-2023, 10:01 PM
I think it will come down in price as more guns come out for it.

Competition among ammunition manufacturers could bring down ammo costs.

Federal, CCI/Speer, and Remington are all owned by Vista Outdoor, however.

Increased ammo production could also lower prices through economy of scale.

9x19mm is the most popular handgun caliber on www.ammoseek.com

30 Super Carry isn't even on the top 20 list.

BillSWPA
03-07-2023, 08:18 AM
Some 9x19mm ammo has less recoil than 30 Super Carry

... and is 20 cents a round cheaper to boot
https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-100-grain-ftx-hornady-critical-defense-lite-250-rounds

30 Super Carry can be HARDER to rack and load to capacity than similar 9x19mm pistols

I wanted a better "old man gun" cartridge, but the 30 Super Carry ain't it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LSmmdO5FbU

Thank you for pointing out that ammo. I am going to have to try it with a couple of individuals with hand/wrist issues, as well as test reliability in a couple of pistols.

Velo Dog
03-07-2023, 12:34 PM
Thank you for pointing out that ammo. I am going to have to try it with a couple of individuals with hand/wrist issues, as well as test reliability in a couple of pistols.

9×19mm gives you many options
...including lead-free bullets

9mm | 95 gr. Barnes TAC-XP | 1250 FPS - 4 Barrel
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/9MM-95GR-BARNES-TAC-XP-1250-FPS-4-BARREL-20_BOX/productinfo/A9-95-TACXP/

Lex Luthier
03-07-2023, 01:29 PM
I know I'm beyond niche and weird in these things, but I think a cartridge like this has tons of potential for the 'old man gun' option both for pistols and a PCC.

Given the .30SC specs I'd bet a blowback PCC in .30SC would be lighter and much softer shooting with a much lighter action spring vs a comparable 9mm. Same for an SMG but that'd be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and that nobody asked for, aside for having a lot of very expensive but fun mag dumps. I'd bet a 32rnd UZI magazine could hold 40+ rounds of .30SC.

Thanks for making the leap, Polecat I know it isn't what most folks care about but I'm looking forward to your additional feedback & experience with the 30SC.

I'm with JRB on this one. I really do want to see how it develops.
(And I am a fan of the EZ series pistols. I am hoping that S & W adapts the Equalizer optic mounting setup to the vanilla EZ models. Or offers the Equalizer in .30 SC. But I digress.)

BillSWPA
03-07-2023, 01:40 PM
I am hoping that S & W adapts the Equalizer optic mounting setup to the vanilla EZ models. Or offers the Equalizer in .30 SC.

Me too. This possibility (hopefully likelihood) is what has kept me from buying a .380 EZ. They have been on sale recently, making a purchase tempting. If I recall correctly, the last time the Shield went on sale, it was right before they released an improved version?

LockedBreech
03-07-2023, 03:55 PM
I wish you the best of luck with your new pistol, OP. However, I would set aside the money to order several thousand rounds of high quality ammo and store it in a cool, dry, secure place. I think it's at least somewhat likely it'll be very difficult to find a few years down the road.

Polecat
03-07-2023, 04:32 PM
There is zero difference racking or loading the .30 from a difficulty standpoint. I spoke to the ammo rep at big show, and expressed frustration at only S&W platforms, he assured me others were forthcoming, but he couldn’t disclose, other than he said a 19-20 round compact pistol will be coming! Currently, the only thing that sounds like is a P365 Macro. In that size gun it will be super mild. When I put the macro side by side with my VP9sk, they are exactly the same Height and length. 10-12 rounds vs. 20 in more controllable platform, that seems to penetrate deeper. Makes some sense.

ssc45
03-07-2023, 05:27 PM
My prediction is that 30 will go the way of the 45 gap, 41AE, 357 Max, 327, 356 TSW, 9x23, 38 supercomp, 38 super, 41 mag, 38S&W, 44-40, 400 corbon, 9x21, 9x25, 32acp, etc, etc. The gun industry is just big business. They need to keep reinventing themselves every year and come out with the next bestest, coolkid caliber and see if it gains traction.

I have been an advocate of the 9mm since the 80's. It works as well as most other pistol calibers and fails like all the rest. It is a pistol. With all the money invested in the 9mm ammo and it being accepted the world over, it ain't going anywhere and it will dominate. The 40 and 357sig are losing market share as is the 45. To me, this is another gimmick caliber that will die out. In my circles, most everyone has settled on 9mm and have no desire to change or add new reloading gear. The selection is good as is stock and price. I'll get off the soap box.

Cheers, Steve

Velo Dog
03-07-2023, 08:17 PM

Found this YouTube video interesting

"How to (more) easily load the magazines of the S&W Shield Plus in caliber 30 Super Carry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sw25JECH_k

Some reports suggest that the UpLULA universal pistol magazine loader will work with the 30 Super Carry Shield Plus
https://www.maglula.com/product/uplula/

MandoWookie
03-07-2023, 08:22 PM
My prediction is that 30 will go the way of the 45 gap, 41AE, 357 Max, 327, 356 TSW, 9x23, 38 supercomp, 38 super, 41 mag, 38S&W, 44-40, 400 corbon, 9x21, 9x25, 32acp, etc, etc. The gun industry is just big business. They need to keep reinventing themselves every year and come out with the next bestest, coolkid caliber and see if it gains traction.

I have been an advocate of the 9mm since the 80's. It works as well as most other pistol calibers and fails like all the rest. It is a pistol. With all the money invested in the 9mm ammo and it being accepted the world over, it ain't going anywhere and it will dominate. The 40 and 357sig are losing market share as is the 45. To me, this is another gimmick caliber that will die out. In my circles, most everyone has settled on 9mm and have no desire to change or add new reloading gear. The selection is good as is stock and price. I'll get off the soap box.

Cheers, Steve

Uh, why is 44‐40 and 32ACP on that list? Both are still available, still chambered in current production firearms by multiple companies, and are both over 100 years of continuous production with millions of guns still chambered in them and still in circulation.
They were respectively the standard of their eras.

In no way are they gimmick calibers.

Joe in PNG
03-07-2023, 08:38 PM
Uh, why is 44‐40 and 32ACP on that list? Both are still available, still chambered in current production firearms by multiple companies, and are both over 100 years of continuous production with millions of guns still chambered in them and still in circulation.
They were respectively the standard of their eras.

In no way are they gimmick calibers.

Likewise, one can argue that .38 S&W and .38 Super are more under the 'obsolescent' tag, not 'gimmicks'.

BillSWPA
03-07-2023, 08:45 PM

Cheers, Steve

.32 ACP remains the best choice if one wants a very low recoil pistol the size of a .22 or .25 pocket pistol but with more power than either. Kel-Tec has sold a bunch of P-32 pistols.

Velo Dog
03-07-2023, 09:30 PM
I wish you the best of luck with your new pistol, OP. However, I would set aside the money to order several thousand rounds of high quality ammo and store it in a cool, dry, secure place. I think it's at least somewhat likely it'll be very difficult to find a few years down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much over Polecat or other members of this forum. They have guns in other calibers with which to compare or fall back on if necessary.

I am genuinely curious about the cartridge and I do see some theoretical benefits, but I also think most shooters would be better served by 9x19mm or possibly a true pocket pistol cartridge.

Time will tell, however, Federal's disingenuous marketing of 30 Super Carry is deplorable.

MandoWookie
03-07-2023, 09:35 PM
Likewise, one can argue that .38 S&W and .38 Super are more under the 'obsolescent' tag, not 'gimmicks'.

3 to 4 of the cartridges on that list are ones developed to replace the 38 Super in competition, and were always niche rounds for that explicit purpose. I can still go to Cabelas right now and buy a couple boxes of Super 38 if I wanted to right now, and its still listed as an option from Colt and several other 1911 makers still.

WDR
03-08-2023, 12:05 AM
.32 ACP remains the best choice if one wants a very low recoil pistol the size of a .22 or .25 pocket pistol but with more power than either. Kel-Tec has sold a bunch of P-32 pistols.

P-32 is an awesome little gun. Way more controllable than its .380 big brothers (P3AT and Ruger LCP). I sometimes regret parting with the two I've owned...

Navin Johnson
03-08-2023, 12:25 AM
Wonder if George Soros funded the 30 SC. His goal is infighting about stupid shit....

paperman
03-08-2023, 12:29 AM
Definitely buy a lot of ammo.
Granted it might just be a Kansas thing but
our Scheels has apparently had no luck selling the ammo.
All of the ammo has been marked down 50-60% for the last 3 months and very few takers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spyderco monkey
03-08-2023, 12:36 AM
I think 30SC is a cool cartridge.

But really it was a mistake in my view.

What the market needed was a .380 replacement and what Federal produced is a 9mm replacement.

A 30SC case shortened to 19mm, for a .380 OAL, firing a 85gr XTP @ 1025-1050fps from a LCP, that would have been sweet.

BillSWPA
03-08-2023, 12:41 AM
P-32 is an awesome little gun. Way more controllable than its .380 big brothers (P3AT and Ruger LCP). I sometimes regret parting with the two I've owned...

The P-32 is one of the few guns my wife likes to carry. It was also a top choice among the participants on the former Women & Guns forum. I do not mind the recoil of the P3AT, but it will squirm in my hand without a finger extension. The P-32 does not need a finger extension, and thus conceals a bit better.

WDR
03-08-2023, 01:01 AM
The P-32 is one of the few guns my wife likes to carry. It was also a top choice among the participants on the former Women & Guns forum.

One of mine went to a young lady who needed an inexpensive carry gun. AFAIK, she's still carrying it, probably with some of the same ammo I gave her when she purchased the gun from me.

The other went, along with a fair stash of reloading supplies and .32 ACP dies, to a retired gentleman with more patience and time than I, as a reloading and tinkering project.

Ed4032
03-08-2023, 05:00 AM
It’s the solution to a question that has not been asked. Limited ammo options with minimal advantages.

pi3
03-08-2023, 10:32 AM
Me too. This possibility (hopefully likelihood) is what has kept me from buying a .380 EZ. They have been on sale recently, making a purchase tempting. If I recall correctly, the last time the Shield went on sale, it was right before they released an improved version?

See something less snappy than 9mm as I get older. Was hoping .30SC would be it, but doesn't look promising.

Velo Dog
03-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Definitely buy a lot of ammo.
Granted it might just be a Kansas thing but
our Scheels has apparently had no luck selling the ammo.
All of the ammo has been marked down 50-60% for the last 3 months and very few takers.

Take advantage while it lasts.

Prices tend to fall as inventory outpaces demand.

Of course this is temporary and can eventually lead to shortages ...as 30 Super Carriers will soon discover ;)

Velo Dog
03-08-2023, 11:01 AM
I spoke to the ammo rep at big show, and expressed frustration at only S&W platforms, he assured me others were forthcoming, but he couldn’t disclose, other than he said a 19-20 round compact pistol will be coming!

Just as I feared and predicted, instead of making smaller, lighter, caliber-specific pistols, most gun manufacturers are just going to see how many smaller cartridges they can shoehorn into a 9X19mm grip frame.

spyderco monkey
03-08-2023, 12:54 PM
Just as I feared and predicted, instead of making smaller, lighter, caliber-specific pistols, most gun manufacturers are just going to see how many smaller cartridges they can shoehorn into a 9X19mm grip frame.

This also highlights one of the biggest risks for 30SC. It’s an inherently high capacity round - even micro compacts hold 12-13rd. And full size pistols will hold 20-21.

However ~1/3 of the country is living under magazine capacity restrictions limiting capacity. For them 30SC is a non starter. And if there’s ever a Federal 10rd limit again, the cartridge dies completely.

Polecat
03-08-2023, 02:22 PM
Found this YouTube video interesting

"How to (more) easily load the magazines of the S&W Shield Plus in caliber 30 Super Carry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sw25JECH_k

Some reports suggest that the UpLULA universal pistol magazine loader will work with the 30 Super Carry Shield Plus
https://www.maglula.com/product/uplula/

Velo, apologies, I see what you mean, as I was loading with the loading tool from the get go.

HCM
04-11-2023, 11:30 PM
.30 SC has found it’s true home:

https://gundigest.com/rifles/tactical-rifles/hi-point-model-995-30-super-carry-review/amp

Hi-Point Announces Model 995 30 Super Carry Carbine

Hi-Point has just announced a new variant of its Model 995 carbine chambered for 30 Super Carry.

spyderco monkey
04-11-2023, 11:45 PM
The lack of cool guns in 30SC is definitely smothering its launch.

A P365 Macro in 30 SC that holds 20-21rd would be very interesting. As would a version of S&W M&P 5.7 gas powered slimline pistol adapted to .30SC.

https://images.guns.com/prod/2023/01/24/63cfa3dc9c63b6d6522dfdfcadaaac407e9f2b6cf19e9.jpg

For those with G43X/G48 mags and some 30SC ammo, I'm curious whether the cartridge is slim enough to be able to double stack in the stagger-stack 9mm 10rd mag? An G43X with 18rds of .30SC would also be compelling.

Joshmill
04-12-2023, 01:21 AM
.30 SC has found it’s true home:

https://gundigest.com/rifles/tactical-rifles/hi-point-model-995-30-super-carry-review/amp

Hi-Point Announces Model 995 30 Super Carry Carbine

Hi-Point has just announced a new variant of its Model 995 carbine chambered for 30 Super Carry.

But what if the 327 Federal and a blunderbuss had an illegitimate child that grew up and just teabagged the 30SC? That might at least pique my interest in some way beyond more than just this round's mere existence.

5pins
04-16-2023, 09:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4fcDGbbRI

LHS
04-17-2023, 01:09 AM
This right here. A .30cal cartridge sized and pressured to work in blowback .380 platforms would be quite interesting to me. Call it .32 Super Comp.

I think 30SC is a cool cartridge.

But really it was a mistake in my view.

What the market needed was a .380 replacement and what Federal produced is a 9mm replacement.

A 30SC case shortened to 19mm, for a .380 OAL, firing a 85gr XTP @ 1025-1050fps from a LCP, that would have been sweet.

Polecat
04-17-2023, 04:50 AM
I would love to see a something along lines of MP subcompact, in .30sc. I bet it could hold more in a traditional double stack, and the recoil, would be really mild.

I am excited to see what others release in the caliber.

spyderco monkey
04-17-2023, 05:43 AM
This right here. A .30cal cartridge sized and pressured to work in blowback .380 platforms would be quite interesting to me. Call it .32 Super Comp.

Alas, .30SC has almost certainly sucked the oxygen out of a ".30 Pocket" .380 replacement.

We could have had a Ruger LCP Max with 13+1 flush fit mag, thinner grip, and genuine 12"+ penetration and expansion.

A .380 length .30SC with a 85gr XTP would duplicate this .32 NAA handload from brassfetcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQfAOO3SU7Q

I still think .30SC is cool, and hope we see cool guns developed for it.

But I feel almost a pain at what could have been. A 13+1 pocket pistol that makes 12"+ of penetration, and weighs 15oz loaded...

spyderco monkey
04-17-2023, 05:45 AM
I would love to see a something along lines of MP subcompact, in .30sc. I bet it could hold more in a traditional double stack, and the recoil, would be really mild.

I am excited to see what others release in the caliber.

I'd be surprised if the M&P Subcompact held more than the 13+1 of the Shield Plus. Isn't the Shield Plus .30SC already a double stack?

Polecat
04-17-2023, 12:37 PM
Spyder, I don’t know to be honest. The ammo rep I spoke with said there is forthcoming compact that holds 18 to 20 .30sc!

spyderco monkey
04-18-2023, 03:07 AM
Spyder, I don’t know to be honest. The ammo rep I spoke with said there is forthcoming compact that holds 18 to 20 .30sc!

Hell yeah, that sounds awesome. Thats what the cartridge needs to survive.

5pins
04-18-2023, 05:52 AM

Was that the Federal rep, or a gun rep?

5pins
04-18-2023, 05:54 AM
I'd be surprised if the M&P Subcompact held more than the 13+1 of the Shield Plus. Isn't the Shield Plus .30SC already a double stack?

Yes, the Shield plus .30 is double stack and holds 13 and 16 rounds.

pi3
10-14-2023, 10:06 PM

I want an equilizer in .380. Or a caliber between 9 and .380. I have no interest in 30 sc.

BobM
10-14-2023, 10:59 PM
Vances in Ohio is selling the.30 caliber EZ Shields for about $260